JUST HAD A TRULY EPIC GAME

NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
<div class="IPBDescription">5 hours strait</div>I Kharaa hive mind com'ed on a aussie server.
tram, took alien expanse, went double while was doing this took server then went for observation. we ended up pinning the marine in there base and three time we had them down too just the CC, no res nodes no power core, no ip. yet they still came back.
as we chased bots around trying to stop them.
yet they still came back.
they broke out yet we put them right back in there place. they built a IP on the ceiling. and we ad a hard time cracking them from there. they escaped pushed to double and took out a hive while some elite bugger decided to solo tram hub and observation and server.
from there they really started to hit us hard across the board but i managed to keep the res up burnt through 800 carbon to get a steady stream going again. by this point all my originally hydra spam at all choke points had been crushed. they took down our two hives and i rebuilt them again now the DI is in every vent and drifters hidden in every location i took marine expanse and had 5 hives for a brief window when they hit tram hub area and then alien expanse. eventually they got cluie to my res cycling and upgrading and sync too out 4 nodes all at the same time off the back end of them deploying sentry's in double.
from re couping the 4 nodes being hit synced we lost another while i got the 4 back up. we then lost marine expanse as tram hub was coming back up they hit spawn. and we kept on top of there res they took out spawn but by this point i had the nodes back up re built spawn only to lose the nodes again and the res gain hadn't really paid for its self.
with all khara guarding one node as we climbed our way back up from the bacterium sess pool my virus scanner kicks in kicking me out of game DCing me from 3 DCs today when the game started going down hill. this time how ever i asked some one else to com in my leave. i got back on and with two coms things rapidly picked up the second com went back to fade and we started to get right back on top of them again we had hyrdas in most room each node with a upgraded crag upgraded nodes and upgraded whip. they pushed through double while we held them back hitting marine expanse on the side.
i was currently re connecting all the infestation tracks again as there last push to observation getting out previously one protected node was hit with flamers with upgraded spawn and alien expanse and just about to rebuild after observation was taken out and DI in every vent reconnected every DI track / link the server op decides to restart the server ARGHHHH.

at this point we had a stable lerk 2 fades a skulk and a gorge on the ground all working on voice coms as a team which we hadnt had nearly all game. i swear we would of won.

Comments

• NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Sounds like you played NS2. =)
  • lazylazy Join Date: 2005-07-23 Member: 56631Members
    Did you at least take a potty break?
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    You never got the sound bug in 5 hours?

And I think you mean 4 hives. It's impossible to have 5 hives on tram, because the marines wouldn't have a CC and the game would have ended.
  • zone_Blackwolfzone_Blackwolf Join Date: 2004-06-20 Member: 29415Members
    edited February 2011
    GOD (thank god, i am an atheist ;)), this is what I want to experience in NS2 !!!!
    I had such games in NS1 and this is the best thing in general, to have such long, action-filled, strategic, tactical, astonishing game_rounds, that you wouldn't forget for a loooong time :)
    I still remember the first night NS1 released and it felt like we've played one round for hours :)

nice report!
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    this kind of experience is rare in beta but fun when it happens. 9/10 times the server gives out after that long.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Did you ever tink about writing a game blog with posts like this one?
    What you describe sounds really awesome.. I which I were there...
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    edited February 2011
    I was only in it about 40 minutes but i had a blast!! My ping was around 290 and while using alien night vision the performance was actually playable even with that ping. The only reason i dropped was a CTD or i would have been a bullet sponge to the end. Great fun!!

Sorry marines, i was kinda spamming infestation but you guys where burning it off rather well.

EDIT: BTW, last i counted there where between 30-35 hydras down and it didn't seem to slow anything down but they did seem to have trouble hitting there targets.....or....marines are just that fast.....
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I smell something..
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Nice, I think I was playing on that server earlier, wish I had stayed to record that.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm actually more frustrated then excited by long games in the current NS2 beta. Most hour+ matches I've played have been stalemates rather than exciting back and forth exchanges. After all tech has been researched and both sides get entrenched (hydra+DI vs multi-ips+sentries), the only changes occur due to playercount imbalance rather than any strategic or tactical gameplay.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1834998:date=Feb 25 2011, 05:21 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Feb 25 2011, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834998"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm actually more frustrated then excited by long games in the current NS2 beta. Most hour+ matches I've played have been stalemates rather than exciting back and forth exchanges. After all tech has been researched and both sides get entrenched (hydra+DI vs multi-ips+sentries), the only changes occur due to playercount imbalance rather than any strategic or tactical gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've seen this happen while I was commanding and it's usually because no one is willing to make a push. as marines a few gls can take out a massive amount of buildings, provided they're protected from fades, and as aliens: hit and run the powernodes can take out anything, provided the marines don't do a macstack. macstacks pretty much decide the game. need to be fixed.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    In this particular round, There was a strong since of unity amongst each teams players and every one was having fun just playing and making the best of what was in place for the game build. Instead of seeing "LAGGG" across the board you would see a series of "LOL" and "LMAO" i think i even seen a "O!!!, NO YOU DIDN'T" come across chat too.

I even spawn killed "JESUS" and he thanked me with a grenade to the chops....lol. I will most defiantly despite ping and all return to play on that server and hope to have another experience like that soon.
  • zone_Blackwolfzone_Blackwolf Join Date: 2004-06-20 Member: 29415Members
    Oh ns2hd (hugh) i wish you had!! :)
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1835011:date=Feb 26 2011, 09:08 AM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Feb 26 2011, 09:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835011"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I even spawn killed "JESUS" and he thanked me with a grenade to the chops....lol. I will most defiantly despite ping and all return to play on that server and hope to have another experience like that soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/" target="_blank">http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/</a>
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1835022:date=Feb 26 2011, 02:19 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Feb 26 2011, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835022"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/" target="_blank">http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You know, defiantly almost works here.

I will most defiantly despite ping and all return to play on that server and hope to have another experience like that soon.

I will most defiantly<b>,</b> despite ping and all<b>,</b> return to play on that server and hope to have another experience like that soon.

He will defy playing on low ping servers, or will defy the common conception that you need to play on a low ping server. Just saying.
    Yes but you and I both know he didn't mean that.
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    Games do get truely epic once you ignore the lag. What about this talk about stalemates? Games always end when I turret farm everywhere. :D
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1834972:date=Feb 25 2011, 01:46 PM:name=Shilorius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shilorius @ Feb 25 2011, 01:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834972"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did you ever tink about writing a game blog with posts like this one?
    What you describe sounds really awesome.. I which I were there...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If he actually wrote in good English? Sure, it'd be fun to read about games like that from time to time :P
    Sounds like an awesome game, but it's too bad they're so few and far between right now.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1835251:date=Feb 27 2011, 06:43 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Feb 27 2011, 06:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835251"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If he actually wrote in good English?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not in your reply. Although it did make me laugh.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1835263:date=Feb 27 2011, 03:54 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 27 2011, 03:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835263"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not in your reply. Although it did make me laugh.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How to put it... I don't want the OP to feel bad, or anything, but at the same time, I would NOT read articles written that way.
    It's cool if an excited guy's posting about a good time he had, and not worrying about his spelling/grammar/whatever. A regular blog or something, though? Way too unprofessional to come back to regularly.
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    I have a minor strand of dyslexia. Right hand types faster than left hand. words are backwards.
    My spelling aint to great and all this leads to a lose in grammar.
    Those that know me on these forms, realize there isn't much I can do about it. Although I have been busy with uni and not around much. I still pop in for a read or two or to voice my opinion. At which point it should show how truly epic this game was.

Thanks for reading and a look forward to another game just as good as this.
  • wakeboarderwakeboarder Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31388Members, NS2 Playtester
    Sounds like a fun game for sure we have had a few on the 156 server most others seem to lag out over time. Right now the main thing that keeping games from going on so long is the sound issue guys just drop over time out of frustration rejoin and lose sound again rejoin and same thing again and get tired of losing Plasma and just drop for good then teams end up unbalanced one teams gets a leg up until more rejoin eventually leading to to many hydras or turrets for the server. I have played a few games for over an hour and a half! Good times for sure.
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1835022:date=Feb 25 2011, 10:19 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Feb 25 2011, 10:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835022"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/" target="_blank">http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do you have a website for the word "straight", as well? Sorry, I like to tease people who misspell -- I do it to my SO, too. Sorry about your dyslexia...sometimes I feel that way, but I'm kind of obsessive compulsive which makes me edit and correct constantly.

I didn't read the entire block of text but from what I caught it sounded like you guys almost purposely let the game go that long rather than finishing off one side. I don't know what happened though, so I shouldn't judge.

I totally agree with the grenade launcher comment and the MAC stack issue. Two GLs and a flamethrower can clear rooms easily. MACs stacking or flying into or out of map geometry was the only reason that game was probably extended past destroying the IP the first time or so.

I want games to be somewhat like this...not aggravating, but you know..."EPIC", I guess.

<!--quoteo(post=1834987:date=Feb 25 2011, 04:07 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 25 2011, 04:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834987"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I smell something..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Haha, maybe it was whatever you stepped in, huh?
    No, but you can get a mug!

And women's boy shorts.

Yeah.

Dyslexia, what?