Development Blog Update - NS2 Build 165 released

Comments

• cheesemoo0cheesemoo0 Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72832Members
    Why not make the infestation stronger as it is closer to the hive?
  • SkwareSkware Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58125Members
    You never mentioned the Onos! When do we see that bad boy running around the corridors?!
  • MiidgiMiidgi Join Date: 2009-01-26 Member: 66194Members
    I just finished a game and got the LMG sound bug, or something very similar. Didn't ask if it happened to anybody else.

Also, something else odd happened; I bought a flamethrower, and noticed that when I stepped away from the armory, the mouse was still set to controlling the cursor. This caused me to be unable to look around or fire. I'm not sure what happened to cause it; maybe I walked away from the armory with the menu still open or something? Regardless, bringing up the game menu (Esc) and returning to game fixed it. Sorry if this is already a known issue.
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    Thanks for this little update. The new Skulk wall walking looks brilliant and I'm so glad it's been changed after all these years! Not had time to try much of NS2 this week though sadly. :(
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Highest on our list that I didn't mention before are:

- The "phantom" player problem where fake players stay on the server (anyone know how to reproduce?)
    - The mid-game reconnect-to-map bug
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    By phantom I assume you mean timed-out clients? It's pretty common for such 'dead' clients to have a ping of naught, so the engine certainly knows it's no longer a viable connection, and probably ought to trigger a ClientDisconnect at that point.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can't you guys use remote desktop or something to run an online server that you can test on from the office? It seems like you're sort of running blind by only testing largely server-related issues on internal LAN.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2011
    Indeed, and a local internet connection should be more then enough to host 4-7 guys (is that with or without Brian 1 and 2 :P)
  • SkiddywinksSkiddywinks Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77239Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1834637:date=Feb 23 2011, 11:07 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 23 2011, 11:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834637"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I did find a bug with it though in vents, when you look down at a 45degree angle towards the floor and walk forward. Somehow you get stuff on exits and doodads in the vents. I think this also happens everywhere else.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think this will be fixed along with the wall walking issue. I find anything below horizontal results in me getting stuck on the cables etc that cross the inside of the vents. When they fix wall walking to allow easier navigation of bumps, corners and edges, this issue will disappear.
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1834620:date=Feb 23 2011, 03:19 PM:name=Slickk-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slickk- @ Feb 23 2011, 03:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834620"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for the video Charlie but would you mind turning up the audio in future videos?
    I appreciate you are quite a softly spoken guy but i had to turn youtube to the max, system to the max and turn my speakers up. Not normally something i have to do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think there must be something wrong with your PC - the audio level was absolutely fine here. In fact, this was the best developer commentary yet in my opinion. It was succinct, candid, and removing the music was the right way to go.
  • Simon493Simon493 Join Date: 2011-02-20 Member: 82724Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1834692:date=Feb 24 2011, 03:55 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Feb 24 2011, 03:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Highest on our list that I didn't mention before are:

- The "phantom" player problem where fake players stay on the server (anyone know how to reproduce?)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not sure if it helps but I noticed that when I crashed and rejoined the same server there was a clone myself that was a "phantom" player. I think I crashed immediately when I joined the marine team although I'm not certain. If I had to guess it is the client shutting down but not telling the server it is disconnection, server sits there thinking the phantom player is still there because nothing has told it the client disconnected. Maybe after 30s-1 min if a client doesn't send anything to the server the server pings the client and if there is no response it times them out?
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    interesting to hear you had no unit testing framework so far :D
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1834692:date=Feb 24 2011, 03:55 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Feb 24 2011, 03:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Highest on our list that I didn't mention before are:

- The "phantom" player problem where fake players stay on the server (anyone know how to reproduce?)
    - The mid-game reconnect-to-map bug<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i guess the scorebug or just a crash?
    i remember a lot of people are rejoining as for example Flayra(2), after their "old" name stay on the list.
    A lot of times people say "teams!" or "damn spectators" but i saw fair teams and no spectator, so some people realy have diffrent scoreboards, can this be?
    I mean this happend a lot, like i say there are 2 spectators and some "mate" over steam said there are no spectators, very weird or maybe im wrong and they are just joking but it happend like 5 times.
    And sometimes on 164 (i don't play much after that) you get a black screen for some seconds (if lag) and then it turns back, but sometimes its totaly crash, its so weird.
    Maybe some people should record their playing and then upload it.

Edit:
    i can't login now in the site, it delete my cookies...but i found someone who said how this can be done what i say:
    <a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/scoreboard_not_updated_if_a_player_leaves_while_you_are_alt_tabbed" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t..._are_alt_tabbed</a>
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Easy steps to reproduce. Find an empty server, join it. Now the server is at 1/10 players. Alt-tab to windows, and have a buddy join. Now the server is 2/10, remain alt-tabbed. Have your buddy leave the server, it will be back to 1/10, but if you alt-tab back in, he remains on the scoreboard. I can verify the actual server numbers by looking at the server console and seeing someone has quit, but my scoreboard ingame still shows them<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So its "real".
  • intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
    oioi I'm at work... what's this wall running jazz about? :D Maybe using DI in Marine base leads to other tactics... perhaps relocate?

Used to hate relocations in NS1 though because you were always risking the entire game and if you died it was just a waste of 15 minutes over and over again until Comm stopped relocating
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    They don't test on just a LAN, this was covered a while ago (but I forget when); they have a bunch of devs and testers outside of the UWE office which join them for testing builds.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Well in that video he mentions that they can't pinpoint the sound bug within just the lan environment, so maybe they mustn't have scheduled any online internal testing last week?
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1834730:date=Feb 24 2011, 03:35 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Feb 24 2011, 03:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834730"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->3GB patch O.O<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What patch are you speaking of? My NS2 folder is under 3GB.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2011
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Steam is downloading 2959.2MB for NS2, and I already had the last version installed.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1834721:date=Feb 24 2011, 09:37 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 24 2011, 09:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Edit:
    i can't login now in the site, it delete my cookies...but i found someone who said how this can be done what i say:
    <a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/scoreboard_not_updated_if_a_player_leaves_while_you_are_alt_tabbed" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t..._are_alt_tabbed</a>
    So its "real".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yea I reported that one, but I dont think this is the problem he is talking about. This is just a client-side error where only the person who was alt-tabbed sees the ghosts (lets call them thin ghosts). There are another form of ghost which are actually still taking up a slot in a server (fat ghosts?), like they do when a player disconnects and they have yet to time out, but they do not time out. I've only seen it when my server is high in players and struggling, so no real steps to reproduce that one.
  • EnceladusEnceladus Join Date: 2004-01-18 Member: 25442Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1834727:date=Feb 24 2011, 11:59 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Feb 24 2011, 11:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834727"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well in that video he mentions that they can't pinpoint the sound bug within just the lan environment, so maybe they mustn't have scheduled any online internal testing last week?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There are always playtests with the external testing team before a patch is shipped out. The problem with the sound bug is, that there is no reliable repeatable pattern which can be used to get exactly to the point where it cuts off. So if it does not occur during a playtest it can mean two things: a) it's fixed, or b) it's still in, but didn't occur.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    I played a few games last night and never received the bug. Actually only have had it once since 165. Are we able to connect to 164 servers with 165? (assuming/hoping not but the only time I saw the bug still was right after the patch and not since)
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited February 2011
    Awesome patch! The last game I played was a very good one.

I was on the Alien side. Getting a few kills, I think I had something like 11 kills to 4 deaths or something.

We have 4 hives up :D
    We managed to win as they didn't get to the Flamethrower before we killed them (I think the commander was placing turrets down and couldn't save up for the Flamethrower upgrade)

1 problem with it though. About halfway through the game there was a lot of lag. Everyone's ping nearly doubled. Not sure what the problem is but it was happening to everyone.

I have been using leap more often now and jumping towards people and getting that first hit on them.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey all at UWE,

Just so you know the sound bug still occurs. I will try and see how I can reproduce it later.

One last thing:
    One can still tell which eggs are gestating eggs and which one are spawn eggs. Gestating eggs do not... I repeat, DO NOT play the idle animation. One can still tell the difference. Hope you guys fix that!

Love,
    Dictator
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1834692:date=Feb 24 2011, 02:55 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Feb 24 2011, 02:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834692"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Highest on our list that I didn't mention before are:

- The mid-game reconnect-to-map bug<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have seen that "phantom" player bug before. I think it might occur when the players game crashes but the server doesn't know that they have disconnected...

And to the mid-game "Reconnect-to-map" bug I haven't had that before...yet...
  • RhodriRhodri Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17575Members
    Liked the video - unfortunatly at the moment I find I don't like the state of the beta. Overall I actually had more fun in the earlier versions, as the state we have now means aliens cannot win in a fair match. I know balance isn't the issue at the moment particulary but aliens feel like they've been massivly gimped for no real reason by only allowing rts on very slow to build infest. Testing new features is great and all but it would be nice to be able to at least slightly compete or be competed against.

Also suffering from the sound bug: I'm on win 7 64bit, use an xfi music card, i7, 6gb ram ati 5970 - good luck with the fixes!
  • ZupE891ZupE891 Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67623Members
    edited February 2011
    any of these updates help fix lag/fps problems?
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Had my first game of NS 2 build 165 on a server, overall analysis : Good , but has a LOT of frustrating issues left.

First up the stuttering wasnt so bad this game, still stuttered at annoying times but not as bad as it used to... dont know why.
    Game itself was frustrating, get flamed and now you dont die so fast , instead you are blinded and left without energy to deal with the Shotgun.
    Shotgun can kill a fully upgraded Skulk from full HP to 0 from range of over 10m ? This weapon can also shoot through walls ?
    This pisses me off, I cant snipe or spore through ###### railings, but a shotgun can blast me through a ###### wall ?

Alien V Marine balance is a mess, if Marines have a second CC they will win despite Alien technology.
    A Skulk simply cant do nothing against a Marine that takes at least 3 solid bits to drop when all the Marine needs to do is aim a shotgun in the general direction of the Skulk ( I can understand a blast to the face, or a Weapon 3 Marine v a Skulk armor 1 ... but a Alien armor 3 ? 1 shot at 10m or greater ?
    Skulk needs a mobility scooter , damn dog is disabled ...can go over stairs or vents without jumping about...its the bloody Marines that are sneaking about and ambushing Skulks and Lerks ( cant hear ######, and the skulk gets stuck on a thought ).

... at the moment game is too wierd, and too frustrating to play for significant time periods but the promise of the game is outstanding and shines through occasionally , promising so much and you get to see a glimpse of the proper game occasionally.
    Keep at it UWE , its getting there slowley but surely.
  • aliasWarlordaliasWarlord Join Date: 2010-06-09 Member: 71999Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1834675:date=Feb 24 2011, 02:56 AM:name=Skware)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skware @ Feb 24 2011, 02:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834675"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You never mentioned the Onos! When do we see that bad boy running around the corridors?!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If they will introduce the onos before the game will be really enjoyable i'm gonna cry so much... seeing fades around the map with these game performances is already a pain for me :)