Can someone please recommend me on some specs

louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
<div class="IPBDescription">im going to be getting a new PC</div>Im going to get a new computer.

i heard that NS2 (beta) has some problems with certain cards and specs.

im planning to get an ATI, is this okay?

i heard nvidia cards have troubles with ns2 from a user on getsatisfaction.com

any one can recommend me on what i should get? or what i should avoid? (i guess the devs would know best)

Comments

• _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited February 2011
    I belive most of the devs if not all ( inside office ) have ati cards in their PCs ( wich are like 3 years old hardware not some top of the line stuff ), so going with ati isnt such a bad idea they allso tend to run cooler and use less power compared to their counterpart in the same class, nvidia usually gives u more fps in some games sometimes wich isnt that big of a deal ( not to me anyway ) if you are running most modern games on average 40+ on high settings.
    It would help if you give us your budget for this build and if you have any old parts that you gonna take away from your old PC to put in the new one like DVD drives, HDD?
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    as the game is not optimized in any way at the moment, it is far to early to talk about such thing.

after version 1.0 is released we can start talking about that,
    but everything before is just rumors and fortune telling (or trolling!)
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    edited February 2011
    As said, in the current state the only thing to say is: what if your purchae if you can (it will only get cheaper ;)) and the final product it is most likely to run fine on cards of both companies. Or at least it should be. There is no real (or: important) difference in the performance of ATI vs NVIDIA. That's mostly FUD. So buy what suits your personal taste.
  • AdamaAdama Join Date: 2010-12-21 Member: 75826Members
    I recommend these:

<a href="http://www.productplacementtheblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/images-iPhone-glasses.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.productplacementtheblog.com/wp-...one-glasses.jpg</a>
  • suttysutty Join Date: 2010-08-01 Member: 73403Members
    Sooo... I would scream go down the sandybridge route, but in light of recent socket issues and a complete recall of the range I'm not to sure it would be wise!

Can you give us an idea of budget ?

Also I don't usually recommend getting on the technology treadmill but AMDs bulldozer is due Q2 along with ivy bridge from intel abit later, It might be advisable to wait as if bulldozer is as good as AMD marketing department are suggesting it will be a fantastic upgrade (if its hype) and it turns out to be the pheanoms all over then ivy bridge will be available with the problems that sandbridge has ironed out :)

ATI 7000 series graphics are also due out very soon, and I wouldn't bother upgrading to the 6 series purely because if your not going X-fire (the scaling is amazing better than 2x580s) it doesn't seem worth it :)
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    The socket/SATA issue has been solved and boards without the issue are being sold now. So there should be no problem there.
  • louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    5000 HKD OR (divided by 7.8) <!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->650 US dollars.
    <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    If you think this is a small budget well things are pretty cheap here because i am custom building my PC with money saved although extra hassle due to the installation of things on my computer will be requires to a larger extent. So yeah im buying my parts 1 buy 1.

im not going to get the retarded 999 aurora desktop from alienware that my friend has, he lives in a huge house.

So im just pointing out:

-Trying to get the best for what i give
    (im 16 years old and i have very little ways of gaining money, took me nearly 3 months to get 3000 HKD (divided by 7.8)<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--> 400 USD<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->)

i have a monitor

i have a set of speakers

i have a mouse and keyboard

i just need a darn computer

My largest question is with my lump of money, can you aproximate my possible things to purchase? (graphics card)

that is all. Good day.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    i bought the following from newegg.com and opened a newegg credit card (no interest for a year, no payment for 2 months or something like that):

AMD PHenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2ghz AM3 socket 125W quad core: $189
    4gig ddr3 1600 (2 sticks) G.Skill ram: $85.99
    antec three hundred illusion black computer case (i love this tower): $59.95 (discounted $10)
    asus crosshair III formula atx amd motherboard: $199.99 (worth every penny but get sata drives)
    sapphire radeon hd 5770 1gig vid card: $234.94 (pretty sure these are under $250 now, i'm gonna get another one soon to crossfire it)(had a 45 instant rebate, 40 combo discount, and a 20 mail in rebate so it was originally $319.94)
    antec truepower tp-750 750w power supply (still going strong)

i bought all of this in october of 2009, everything is still running solid. everything was the best of 2008 at the time so reviews were strong on all parts so buying the best of last year is a very good strategy so everything will work right out of the box (no need to wait for better drivers, they are already out there)

total cost before shipping: $769.87

why did i choose amd over intel? it's cheaper.
    why did i choose ati over nvidia? nvidia f'd me on my hp pavilion laptop and I was angry (i'll never buy another nvidia product again)

i would suggest going the route i took to build your computer, you can get alot of bundled deals. and my computer is only a couple hundred above your price range, but i think you could probably get something very similar to what i have for $650.

good luck!
  • SopsSops Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17894Members, Constellation
    Get this
    <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167035" target="_blank">http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820167035</a>
  • throttlethrottle Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22776Members, Constellation
    If building your own, I'd go to NewEgg's <a href="http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishLists.aspx?actionType=SORT&OrderKey=RATE&OrderType=ASC&searchTitle=&searchItemNumber=" target="_blank">NewEgg public wish list page</a> to get started. Troll through the highly rated builds until you find something you like. Add all the components you want to your cart modify that build to suit.

Works really well.

If not building your own, you can sometimes hit up Dell's refurb site for really top of the line PCs at a much lower cost.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    as ns2 is not multithreaded for now, u need one core with max performance.

so i would recommend to buy a used gtx460 or ati 4/5 870
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    What's the difference between the Antec Three Hundred and the Antec Three Hundred Illusion? I was considering the Antec Nine-hundred which runs at $115 right now for the fans and (maybe?) sturdier build.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1833676:date=Feb 19 2011, 11:25 AM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Feb 19 2011, 11:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833676"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i bought the following from newegg.com and opened a newegg credit card (no interest for a year, no payment for 2 months or something like that):

AMD PHenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2ghz AM3 socket 125W quad core: $189
    4gig ddr3 1600 (2 sticks) G.Skill ram: $85.99
    antec three hundred illusion black computer case (i love this tower): $59.95 (discounted $10)
    asus crosshair III formula atx amd motherboard: $199.99 (worth every penny but get sata drives)
    sapphire radeon hd 5770 1gig vid card: $234.94 (pretty sure these are under $250 now, i'm gonna get another one soon to crossfire it)(had a 45 instant rebate, 40 combo discount, and a 20 mail in rebate so it was originally $319.94)
    antec truepower tp-750 750w power supply (still going strong)

i bought all of this in october of 2009, everything is still running solid. everything was the best of 2008 at the time so reviews were strong on all parts so buying the best of last year is a very good strategy so everything will work right out of the box (no need to wait for better drivers, they are already out there)

total cost before shipping: $769.87

why did i choose amd over intel? it's cheaper.
    why did i choose ati over nvidia? nvidia f'd me on my hp pavilion laptop and I was angry (i'll never buy another nvidia product again)

i would suggest going the route i took to build your computer, you can get alot of bundled deals. and my computer is only a couple hundred above your price range, but i think you could probably get something very similar to what i have for $650.

good luck!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

nice sys, paid a lil too much but still nice. OP doesnt really need all of that either though. he could prolly get by with just ram, mobo/ps and cpu. but 400 might be cutting it close. would hafta pay a trip to newegg, microcenter and tigerdirect.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Tig's build sounds pretty solid for the price range. He's right that that graphics card should be closer to $200, and that buying the "best of last year" (or a generation behind on video cards) is a great way to save money. G.Skill ram is some of the least expensive memory out there, and I've used it in my last couple builds.

I wouldn't worry too much about ATI vs nvidia, just go with whatever company you prefer. I've used both and have had excellent service either way. My brother has an nvidia card and runs the NS2 beta just fine. Never believe just one person, and always remember people complain a lot more than they praise.

Just make sure you shop around several stores to get the best deals. Newegg and TigerDirect are great places to start.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <a href="http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html" target="_blank">http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html</a>

Just go there and either browse the systems specs or post your own proposed system. Its really hard to make a recommendation for NS2, since it isn't finished yet. Also, you'll presumably want this system to run other games, so it might not be the best idea to build it with only NS2 in mind.
  • louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    ati it is then, im gonna take a look at your suggestions guys thanks alot.

im gonna be sure to get some good RAM as well, ill need it!
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I just picked up a Radeon HD 6850 specifically because I needed to upgrade for NS2 development (I was able to work before this, but things were just going too slowly).

It's only been a few days, but it's worked very well so far and I played build 164 for several hours last night with a respectable 30-35fps the whole time.
  • wakeboarderwakeboarder Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31388Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1833719:date=Feb 19 2011, 04:55 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Feb 19 2011, 04:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833719"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html" target="_blank">http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html</a>

Just go there and either browse the systems specs or post your own proposed system. Its really hard to make a recommendation for NS2, since it isn't finished yet. Also, you'll presumably want this system to run other games, so it might not be the best idea to build it with only NS2 in mind.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 this is the way to go just take a look and see what is the most you can get for your $ you want it to be as fast as you can afford get either a crossfire board or sli knowing you can add a card at a much cheaper price down the road if things get to running slow. I run a old q6600 and a Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 with no issues just because it is not multithread now does not mean it wont be in the end so plan for the future as much as possible
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    The Tom's Hardware Best for Money articles are also excellent if you already know the price point for each component. Less useful for making sure you have a good balance of parts (i.e. CPU is powerful enough to support the graphics cards with the RAM given, etc.). These are all based on their own internal reviews of performance though.

Here's the Graphics Card one: <a href="http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6950-1gb-geforce-gtx-560-ti-gaming-graphics-card,2857.html" target="_blank">http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon...-card,2857.html</a>
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1833664:date=Feb 19 2011, 06:28 PM:name=gorge.ous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gorge.ous @ Feb 19 2011, 06:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833664"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The socket/SATA issue has been solved and boards without the issue are being sold now. So there should be no problem there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Huh, already? I thought they were coming in April.
    Links?
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1833704:date=Feb 19 2011, 02:32 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Feb 19 2011, 02:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833704"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's the difference between the Antec Three Hundred and the Antec Three Hundred Illusion? I was considering the Antec Nine-hundred which runs at $115 right now for the fans and (maybe?) sturdier build.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

my ###### glows blue.
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1834179:date=Feb 21 2011, 03:24 PM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Feb 21 2011, 03:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834179"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Huh, already? I thought they were coming in April.
    Links?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've heard similar things and am debating whether to wait the extra month.

However, someone pointed out that the bug is only in SATA2. So, if you're using SATA3 drives you're OK apparently.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1834380:date=Feb 22 2011, 01:09 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Feb 22 2011, 01:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834380"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've heard similar things and am debating whether to wait the extra month.

However, someone pointed out that the bug is only in SATA2. So, if you're using SATA3 drives you're OK apparently.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Official date is sometime in April, but I've heard rumors it may be as early as mid-March. What gorge.ous might be referring to is that Intel has begun shipping the fixed components to the manufacturers so that they can start making the new motherboards.

Basically, I'm using the workaround in my SB build until the new boards come out. Only the Intel SATA2 ports are defective and the problem isn't likely to occur anytime soon (Intel estimated that only 5-15% of mb's would actually have problems and they would likely occur after a few years).
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited February 2011
    Intel i7 860 (stock)
    4GB Kington (1333, stock)
    Windows 7 RC
    AMD 5850 (Saphire, stock)
    922 HAF (Cooler Master)
    Intel DP55xxx (uatx)
    Corsair 600HX (modular)

I'm a fan of clean, low-wattage systems. I don't overclock and don't use aftermarket cooling. Heat is bad for electronics, but stock cooling does what it's supposed to do when you run within factory specs. I just thought I'd give opinion on some parts I got in March of 2010.

I could have saved quite a bit of money on the processor, but AMD didn't offer a low wattage alternative with the same performance as the i7 860...my wallet took a hit there. Glad I bought the 5850, also low wattage, but it packs a punch.

I don't fuss about mobo's. Dirt cheap boards can last 10+ years. I've seen expensive boards fail in a year or two. It really depends on how you handle your PC and luck. Some companies may user higher quality components ("jap" caps for instance...but they are all mass produced for cheap anyway) The Intel board I got is all USB periph. and works great.

I picked up the RAM that most companies put in pre-built systems. Kingston RAM has never given me issues to date. Their value-ram is cheap and I've never had a bad stick (though I handle them properly).

Power supply is probably one of the most important components. Get something that is reliable and efficient. Don't be afraid to spend a little more here. I went with a modular Corsair. One ###### PSU can ruin other expensive components.

Never been a fan of glowing lights on cases (thought the HAF922 does have red leds on the front fan that can be switched). I wanted something practical and well built (I've seen some bad wiring...wow). CM's HAF is super quiet and pushes air extremely well. I love this case. It does have an issue though. While the wiring is done well, whoever they their front IO panel boards didn't have great quality control. My IO panel in the front has a short on the board where the headphone component is soldered. I'd fix it, but everything is all too close. Going to buy a replacement IO assembly (power/reset switch, usb ports, everything) for $10 from CM's part store.

It's really hard to find a quality case that doesn't have extra crap. I had an Aspire case long ago (I'ev seen antec still uses their models now) that had bad wiring and caused short circuits. I ripped the whole damn plastic door off the front of the case to stop it.

Oh and my OS...yeah I still rock Windows 7 RC...still free.
  • endarendar Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73256Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1834985:date=Feb 26 2011, 08:06 AM:name=Josh86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Josh86 @ Feb 26 2011, 08:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834985"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh and my OS...yeah I still rock Windows 7 RC...still free.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wasn't it meant to start rebooting every 2 hours from ~march 2010?
  • HybridclawHybridclaw Join Date: 2003-11-03 Member: 22271Members
    Save up your money for the next few years and get a macbook pro.

:-P
    <!--quoteo(post=1835028:date=Feb 25 2011, 07:38 PM:name=endar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endar @ Feb 25 2011, 07:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1835028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wasn't it meant to start rebooting every 2 hours from ~march 2010?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's what I thought. I also don't know if you can get it anymore. Then again, I was able to get Win7Ult for free through my university, so I got lucky anyways :)