The game depends too much on commander

Deagle2Deagle2 Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75360Members
I know opinions must be very different on this subject, but Unknown World said they would make NS2 more user friendly than the previous one.
So old NS2 players are probably going to disagree with me, but I think that the commander currently has too much influence on the game.
If a noob commander (like me) jumps into an hive, you are sure to lose the game, and even if there can be several hives, the first commander still have to build it.
I know NS2 is a mix of RTS/FPS and I like it, but currently this means that the game depends on one guy, and it'll be even worse when it'll be on 16v16

So I don't know how to make it better, but that's my feedback about the commander stuff.

Comments

• PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    It always depended on one guy, and if he does not know enough the other players can help him on doing his job, or he can go out of the commander position and let other to take it.

The Commander is the most important position on each team and the full team depends on it. It's not easy and sad poor players will always complain (and insult) on you when you are still learning how to do it. It happens on simple games where you only have to build with blocks, so imagine that here will happen too.

Every aspect of the game is going to be balanced and re-balanced until final version.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I think it's NS2's greatest strength and its greatest weakness. Make the commander less than what he is and he's just a worthless gimmick, give him too much influence and a bad commander will ruin the game. Once Eject is in, you'll be fine. But what about all the players who want to learn? Well, in addition to Eject, a single-player "tutorial" for the commander is a must, as well as some other non-intensive ways of learning the game, like a sandbox type of environment perhaps.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I've found this to be pretty true, also. Though, I would say the solution is to make some commander functions more automated (e.g. MACs repair automatically, DI spreads automatically, etc.) I've also noticed that a difference of only one player (i.e. 6v5 or 5v4) imbalances the game.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2011
    It will always depend on the commander, though maybe two things need to happen.

1. The game does not start until both commanders have either;

a) Entered the commander's chair
    b) Been voted for by the team
    c) Something else

2. Methods of easing the learning curve, so people understand the game and feel comfortable jumping in the seat.

This could be anything from straight up tutorials (which I think are bad) through to visual/audible/text based hints. There are points of interaction from joining the ready room, through to possible cinematics before the game starts, etc, etc.

If you placed cinematic and story based moments into these points that helped explain certain aspects, it would help to solidify things in a players mind.

This could be anything from being told the basic tech tree, the mort important structures, etc within the time it takes to load yourself into the command chair. Be it 10 seconds of visuals with some sexy sci-fi female voice.

Obviously this is only needed the first few times, but things like this at certain points would really help imo. Even if it was just:

"Place resource towers to increase your income, and fight for tech nodes to increase your technology. Remember, without income you will not progress."
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    yeah all we need here is a vote eject option implemented on both sides and we're good to go. vote to eject will eject you and not let you reenter a hive/cc for 5 minutes.

if this leads to a loss (say an ejected commander is the last guy on the team alive and can't get in to drop a new ip) then oh well, shouldn't have been a bad commander in the first place, you were probably going to lose anyway.

"eject commander" vote system +1
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1833946:date=Feb 20 2011, 02:07 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Feb 20 2011, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833946"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Place resource towers to increase your income, and fight for tech nodes to increase your technology. Remember, without income you will not progress."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this could be set up in a commander tutorial map where you play with all bots. you hop in the cc and designate bots into squads and give them waypoints and build/attack/defend orders.

basic ai bots here on both sides so it plays pretty boring and nothing fancy happens, but you get the gist of your tech trees and how to expand. bots are in but i'm not sure how smart they are yet.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited February 2011
    i'm never been fan of "alien commander" to begin with. Gorges need to play better roles than currently they do, going gorge to drop infestation might sound great but it isn't. If anything compared to ns1, ns2 has dumbed-down so much its not even funny. ns2 made user-friendly so much its not challenging to play, if anything is challenging its playing the gimped aliens compared to ns1 aliens.

alien commanders should be limited if anything, gorges must have more options what to do. For example gorges can drop same chambers as they did in ns1, but only alien commander can enhance those chambers, in other words upgrade them further. Gorges can drop rts as well not just alien commanders. They made alien commanding too much like marine commanding, it has only slight difference, not much honestly.

aside from this rent, commanding is always be challenging if its not it will not be fun.
    Although since many things about aliens are either broken or gimped, I share your problems as well, this needs to improve but commanding isn't for everyone, make local host game, and study it, this is how you learn. Also remembering to bind keys, and remembering hotkeys for your interface would help you to be quick to respond to problems, this what was needed in ns1.
  • Deagle2Deagle2 Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75360Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1833973:date=Feb 20 2011, 10:05 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Feb 20 2011, 10:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833973"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Although since many things about aliens are either broken or gimped, I share your problems as well, this needs to improve but commanding isn't for everyone, make local host game, and study it, this is how you learn.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Commanding should be for everyone, because when you buy the game you'd expect to be able to play it in it's full force, right now it's realy hard to learn, but even though a tutorial would help a bit, I think the main thing that is hard to learn is how to play strategically, and I don't think tutorials would help you a lot with that.

I personnaly think that the commander should give an advantage to the team that plays it well, but not a big disadvantage when people doesn't play it well.
    Sometimes noone jumps into commander, and since nothing is built, the team has zero chance to win. they can't push forward, they can't evolve, they can't get upgrades. So some people feel obligated to go commander, wich I think is not good at all, you should always be able to do what you want to.
    To me the main solution would be like ScardyBob said, make the commander role more automated, but allow players to "accelerate" the process.
    Of couse the Hard part would be about balancing it so it is still usefull but not necessary. I personnaly prefer the FPS side of NS2 and I know I'm not the only one, even though I like to play commander from type to type, but I am a bad commander so... I feel like I shouldn't even jump in.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The commander being the most important player on the team is an unchangeable fact about any FPS/RTS game. It is a flaw but it's also what makes the whole gameplay dynamic work. There's nothing that can be done about it. I think the only real problem it poses to accessibility is that it's very difficult to learn how to command properly. It simply isn't a role for new players though.
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    I don't know why people are saying com is difficult. I got it 2nd time playing (for both marine and alien), never messed about with it on my own either, I always played in live-fire games. Alien com is a little harder because you have to think about DI and whip/crag placement due to the limited range.

Alien winning on rockdown is really easy with DI. Marine winning on tram is really easy too if you follow some basic tactics at the start (armoury, marine expansion, shotguns, upgrade ext, take double res, expand)
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    I think to make the Kharaa and the Marines different is by NOT allowing the Kharaa to select groups of players and put them as a squad.
    This would then make them different, kind of like saying that the Kharaa are stupid and don't have organisation and the Marines and intelligent and they do have organisation. This makes the Kharaa players less dependent on their command and allow them to do their own thing. (Like in NS1) and people liked that.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    when a game doesn't offer any challenge its simply not fun. Learning how to play, understanding how the game works and becoming better is what makes it all fun. If anybody can just join the game, become amazing it won't be fun at all. It can have simple approach to things, but it should take longer to master. Commanding isn't for everyone, but nothing stops anybody from learning how to be better, that's part of how to become good commander.

just follow these simple tips

1. make localhost game, learn the commands
    2. start using microphone
    3. remember hotkeys for your commanding interface, binding keys comes into play as well
    4. understand how the game works, what counters what
    5. understand key positions on the map, which to hold which to take

i'm sure more ideas can be added, these were just top of my head. I used to command in ns1, and i still do sometimes in ns2, but i do not find ns2 commanding much fun with current big balance problems, and gimped abilities. Much of the game is still missing from ns2, and many abilities are still work in progress, its basically take it or leave it currently until they iron out stability issues, and fix all the abilities/balance issues.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The game may be designed around it, but i still think the karaa should be more team effort oriented than the marines, if not for the asymetry then at least for the god damn lore of the universe.
    ants and bees and other swarming insects may have a pyramidic structure with the mother at the top, but taking a player out from the melee based team is creating a crap load of trouble in regards to balancing. make them too weak, they complain. make them too beefy, the marines complain. ok, who am i kidding. individuals of each side allways complain, but with the flamer… its getting out of hand lately.

of course, the other option is to ignore upgrading and constructing, but everyone should know what that results in.

+1 giving gorges the constructor role, else make switching between skulk and gorge free of charge.
  • CrangborCrangbor Join Date: 2006-11-08 Member: 58484Members
    I have to agree with Iuns and RobB. While I hate to contest major system changes, I too really object to the Alien Commander position. I was always a believer that the difference in gameplay between the Marines and Kharaa is what made NS so unique and exciting. The Marines had their very earthly command system of putting one player in charge of strategy and base architecture while the Aliens shared a "hive mind" through enhanced communication (i.e. hive sight) and even the 'base is under attack' audio cues. Trying to simulate this cohesion by again putting one player in charge of everything completely destroys the team dynamic that made the Kharaa so special.
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    One of the key parts of NS1 was the fact that marines where reliant on a command aliens where now.
    I for one liked hopping into a game and not having to always follow a commanders instructions, I did like the way you would occasioanlyl get a surprise with the tech researched (ie sense before def)....but primarily I liked not having 1 person who could lose a game for you (or win it for that matter).

Whilst I know UWE want to keep the alien comm I think reconsidering how to integrate is a good idea.
    Unlike the marines I do not believe the aliens should be as reliant on the comm role due to the hive mind.
    The alien comm should not be as critical as it is currently to the alien side, aliens should vote in a comm and their role is to simply to select tech advances (via a pop up window when the time comes and they are on DI (no reason for alien comm to be stuck in one spot like the marines...after all they have the hive mind)).
    This would allow the aliens to have the extra melee player which imo helped make the balancing work.

Leave the placement of items to gorges (possibly with the exception of hives), I dont know why but only being able to put down hydras and di seems limited and its as if they have stripped the gorge down too much to try to create a full time comm role with enough to keep them amused.

Oh and DI should enhance buildings (increased ROF, Regen etc) not restrict them...buildings not on DI operate at say 1/2 or 1/4 of those built on DI.

my 2c...keep up the great work...we are all just a bunch of whingers who will never be 100% happy ;)
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If anybody can just join the game, become amazing it won't be fun at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Please don't post comments like this. No offence, but they are ignorant.

CS which had the smallest learning curve in any game I have played, yet player skill was probably the most diverse and varied than any other game I have played.

Games that require one person to play at a high level are limited, in that you are not dealing with a team of players who have to organise themselves, communicate and rely on one another. This is where the internet, team play and the like take gaming to that next level and should be encouraged further.

As for saying that it should be hard to 'learn' the game, that is a stupid comment. You'll take the games industry back in time like Marty McFly saying things like that.

The only complex thing that this game should have is the game play mechanics, but they should be easy to wrap your head around, understand and learn.

You repeatedly get threads on here regarding 'consoles are this', 'pc games are that' and it is truly rubbish.

As casual gamer wants to jump on and play, the market understands that demographic and therefore designs around it.

The hardcore / PC community like more depth, so the game takes longer to learn.

But in no way should you make the learning process harder for any game. I believe it is possible to have a complex game and yet create a learning curve (this has nothing to do with the games complexity) that allows any person to sit down and start effectively learning the game from the moment they open the application until they are in a CC.
  • BrokenIceBrokenIce Join Date: 2010-06-18 Member: 72090Members
    I think what everyone is getting at is that a bad commander and a bunch of mean people in a server usually makes the server go empty.

Well, then get an AI commander that is able to do things on its own. This probably won't ever happen and if it did it would take a while for them to program but yea, that would balance everything out.

People will still be able to take the commander position but if no one is able to do it properly and everyone is being a buttmonkey then leave it to AI.

My 2 cents.
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    I still don't know how to say "proceed to waypoint" but I still win. And current beta games go like this: game starts, player jumps to be com and gives orders. After a second base is set up and res nodes placed, player leaves station and another one jumps in. The new com builds sentries, upgrades armor, and researches weapons. Com leaves and buys weapons and new one jumps in. This one builds observatories, tighten up defenses and builds more backup bases. This com leaves and yet again another one jumps in. This com only builds for his own cause or to sneak something somewhere. Repeat last step until victory. Most games sorta play like this.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Commanding should definitely err on the side of being too easy rather than too hard. Even if the mechanics of commanding are a piece of cake, just trying to control your team and organize them is a big challenge in and of itself. If the commander is always caught up with micromanaging lots of little things then his attention is divided and he can't work with his team as closely, which hurts the whole experience. It's also much more difficult to find a skilled commander for both teams in any given game if the job is too hard. If that means that the really amazing commanders hit a skill ceiling then that's fine by me.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    commanding should be important.
    With time, commanders will become better, strategies will emerge etc. I wouldn't worry too much.
    All I want to see in the game is:

Marine commander using strategies, squads, and stuff like that.

Kharaa commander just upgrading the players allowing them to better. No tactics, or squads. The Kharaa commander just helps out the players.

This makes the Marine commander and the Kharaa commander different.
    And I would like to see that.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1834028:date=Feb 21 2011, 12:42 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Feb 21 2011, 12:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834028"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Commanding should definitely err on the side of being too easy rather than too hard.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree.

Mixing RTS and FPS isn't easy. Relying on your humanoid team mates in a public server for example, will drive people away as that's not how the RTS structure works. RTS is you click, your units go, no questions, no quarrals, 100% aim/hit chance too.

I'd rather see commander mode really dumbed down, placing structures. Offering additional support via packs, upgrades, nodes, unlocking/locking doors. Nothing too fancy on either side, particularly as managing DI on the alien commander side will be a challenge enough for most public players.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited February 2011
    It is unfortunately a neccesity of the standard FPS/RTS approach that the commander becomes excessively important. If you want to have a commander directed RTS element, you need to make the commander the thing on which the game hinges.

Yes it sucks, yes it ruins games, yes it is difficult to defend, no it's not likely to change.

<!--quoteo(post=1834036:date=Feb 21 2011, 01:13 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Feb 21 2011, 01:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834036"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All I want to see in the game is:

Marine commander using strategies, squads, and stuff like that.

Kharaa commander just upgrading the players allowing them to better. No tactics, or squads. The Kharaa commander just helps out the players.

This makes the Marine commander and the Kharaa commander different.
    And I would like to see that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It also sort of requires the alien team to be played by actual aliens.

Human tactics exist for a reason, because they are the kinds of things we can pull off, and we benefit from them, as the alien team is played by human players, they are going to use human tactics like squads and flanking and division of roles in order to win, you can't stop that unless you force players to be lobotomised before playing the alien team.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    just reintroduce combat as a game mode, to apease the masses of CoD gamers
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1834075:date=Feb 21 2011, 12:23 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Feb 21 2011, 12:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834075"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just reintroduce combat as a game mode, to apease the masses of CoD gamers<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I take offense to this :O

I very much hate COD, but i did love combat, mainly because of the fact i didnt know what i was doing in NS1 and i didnt care or want to take the time to learn, no one wanted to help, so i just played combat, you need far more skill in combat mode then any COD game.
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    edited February 2011
    If you remove the dependability from the commander, you IMMEDIATELY lose the RTS aspect as everyone would just grab weapon and armour upgrades and push the hive, these would be very dull games indeed.
    <!--quoteo(post=1834072:date=Feb 21 2011, 10:34 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Feb 21 2011, 10:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834072"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It also sort of requires the alien team to be played by actual aliens.

Human tactics exist for a reason, because they are the kinds of things we can pull off, and we benefit from them, as the alien team is played by human players, they are going to use human tactics like squads and flanking and division of roles in order to win, you can't stop that unless you force players to be lobotomised before playing the alien team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes but, without a commander to lead the aliens around they will most likely just do thier own thing. In the games that I play the commander doesn't do much to tell us what to do (Kharaa side) they just advance the infestation and build things. I find this useful and it also means that the commander doesn't rely on the players. So, that means you have freewill in the game as an Alien.

In the marine game that I played I had a very good marine commander who was leading us around. I like to be told what to do on the marine side but if that happens on the Kharaa side I won't be very happy.

Basically, I like the kharaa because I have freewill in killing who I want and what I want.

I like the marine side because there is organisation and it seems to fit well when you are told what to do as a group.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    We need to wait for people to be able to play the game on proper maps with good performance before considering changing fundamental parts of NS2
    <!--quoteo(post=1834084:date=Feb 21 2011, 12:55 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Feb 21 2011, 12:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834084"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We need to wait for people to be able to play the game on proper maps with good performance before considering changing fundamental parts of NS2<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1833973:date=Feb 21 2011, 05:05 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Feb 21 2011, 05:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833973"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i'm never been fan of the "2" in "NS2" to begin with.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    fixed.

wait, what am I saying? that's just wrong.

<!--quoteo(post=1833973:date=Feb 21 2011, 05:05 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Feb 21 2011, 05:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833973"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i've never been a fan of the "2" in "NS2" to begin with.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    fixed.