Why is Skulk not allowed to jump then leap?

OpolEOpolE Join Date: 2008-04-10 Member: 64057Members
This sucks i log in and i cant jump in the air and leap to a wall or and area.

So how the hell can i get off the floor or wall without detaching myself from a surface

I really hope the game will impliment jumping and leaping otherwise its gonna be really frustrating trying to leap to places

Comments

• PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    You said this in the ideas and suggestions page as well...
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    Do me a favor, jump in the air and then magically leap forward while your mid air, see what happens.. oh wait you can't, it's impossible.

Common sense people, I know this is a game but it still has SOME basic sense of realism tied to it.

Also how about instead of complaining about it because it might be a tad bit difficult for you, spend a few hours, weeks or months to MASTER it and get good. I can't stand this instant gratification, I don't want to actually SPEND time to have skill and master anything attitude people have these days.
  • OpolEOpolE Join Date: 2008-04-10 Member: 64057Members
    The original game had it, so why cant we have it in the next game, u know im starting to think the original game was more epic and better right now, so impliment it
  • ExplosifBeExplosifBe Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58284Forum Admins, Playtest Lead, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    I think you are mistaken OpolE, the leap you have at the beginning of the game is basically a 2m jump, you have to upgrade it (in the whip first I think, then in your evolve menu) to get the original NS leap
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    the best reply I can say...mini-leap is totally broken running leap is actually what ns1 leap was expect you have energy to make total of 2 maybe jumps, and you're out of energy. In all honesty, this ability like many other alien abilities are currently gimped.
    <!--quoteo(post=1833779:date=Feb 19 2011, 11:38 PM:name=ExplosifBe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ExplosifBe @ Feb 19 2011, 11:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833779"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you are mistaken OpolE, the leap you have at the beginning of the game is basically a 2m jump, you have to upgrade it (in the whip first I think, then in your evolve menu) to get the original NS leap<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See, that was what I was confused with. you have to be stationary to leap if you don't have the <i>Running Leap</i> upgrade.
    If you mean bascially double jumping then no. If you can do that in real life and film it (Put it on youtube or something) then maybe I will agree with you. Other than that; I back up TheGivingTree.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The fake leap pre-upgrade just continues to confuse more people with each passing day. It should really just be removed and Leap should be made an upgrade IMO.
    <!--quoteo(post=1833802:date=Feb 20 2011, 01:26 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Feb 20 2011, 01:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The fake leap pre-upgrade just continues to confuse more people with each passing day. It should really just be removed and Leap should be made an upgrade IMO.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

Wasn't it like this in NS1?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    In NS1 all skulks received leap with Hive 2.
  • TacotaTacota Join Date: 2009-10-12 Member: 69027Members
    Been discussed before, thoroughly.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    I have like 8 years of jump leap instinct so when I play ns2 I find it mega frustrating that you can't do it.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'd rather they just make the running leap the default again. Its a pretty crucial element of skulk movement.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    I don't think "It was in NS1" or "realism" are strong arguments either way. But think realism is probably the justification for the current state of things. It just doesn't make sense that you can leap from mid air. If anything maybe a very weak leap could be allowed in the air.

Sorry but a bit off topic...
    While I understand the desire to balance early game leap vs mid to late game leap. I really don't think the nerf on early game leap should be "You have to be still". It makes feel very broken to use. I feel like I never know what to except when I hit that button.

Can't the difference just be the speed of the leap? Like Weak leap and strong leap?
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1833802:date=Feb 20 2011, 01:26 AM:name=Zek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zek @ Feb 20 2011, 01:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The fake leap pre-upgrade just continues to confuse more people with each passing day. It should really just be removed and Leap should be made an upgrade IMO.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd prefer if it was simply a shorter leap, no restrictions on whether you're moving, then your upgrade is 'bigger leap' which does exactly what it says on the tin.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1833866:date=Feb 20 2011, 08:33 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Feb 20 2011, 08:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833866"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd prefer if it was simply a shorter leap, no restrictions on whether you're moving, then your upgrade is 'bigger leap' which does exactly what it says on the tin.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

been saying that for awhile now.

the only different should be between mini-leap and running leap are the distances. So both can be triggered in any movement/motion whatever without being restricted in any way.

mini-leap would be amazing if they did this.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I'd also like it if the upgraded leap was actually more powerful than NS1 leap, to make it feel like something worth buying.

I wouldn't mind an increased energy cost over NS1 either, but the choice between many small leaps and one big leap would be interesting.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, this issue is causing confusion and threads like this to re-appear day after day.

When you get re-occurring threads like this it means something is broken, and I agree that UWE should remove the un-intuitive 'leap when stopped' and just make it a full on upgrade.

I don't think anyone would mind that either, as long as it was an effective leap which it isn't at the moment. If it is a mechanic meant to get to high places (which it has been described as being) then something else is broken and I don't think this is an effective way of dealing with it. Especially as it is so confusing to the player.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    A dash ability to replace mini-leap could be useful.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dash upgrade to Leap. Sounds perfect to me, as it would address the issue of Skulk/Marine sprint speed.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    I found the new way perfect. It took me a little (few hours) but I get used to the new way.
    I do love and overused the leap on mid-air but I found this new limitation as a challenge. Now I have to leap over surfaces so I can leap again and again from one surface to the other. It is the perfect way of movement for people with real skill, like me.
    The biggest problem with mini-leap is that it's simply not fluid, and thus unintuitive in a game all about continuous motion.
  • communismcommunism Join Date: 2009-02-16 Member: 66447Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1833771:date=Feb 19 2011, 11:15 PM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Feb 19 2011, 11:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833771"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do me a favor, jump in the air and then magically leap forward while your mid air, see what happens.. oh wait you can't, it's impossible.

Common sense people, I know this is a game but it still has SOME basic sense of realism tied to it.

Also how about instead of complaining about it because it might be a tad bit difficult for you, spend a few hours, weeks or months to MASTER it and get good. I can't stand this instant gratification, I don't want to actually SPEND time to have skill and master anything attitude people have these days.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Do me a favor, be a dog like alien, see what happens.. oh wait you can't, its impossible.

HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    edited February 2011
    I agree, stopping to leap is really awkward. Crazy awkward.

Just change the upgrade from "Running leap" to "Skulk Speed" and make it confer a bonus to max speed and increase leap range. Celerity was a really fun and strong upgrade in ns1, I think it should make a reappearance for ns2, why not combine it with the leap upgrade?

Another interesting leap upgrade would be increased bite damage while in the air after a leap.
  • Live_FeedLive_Feed Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72419Members
    yeh coming from NS jump-leap to ns2 cripple-leap is majorly disorientating :<
  • SatanLovesYOuSatanLovesYOu Join Date: 2004-05-03 Member: 28410Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Here i thought NS2 was gonna be its own game...
  • Katana-Katana- Join Date: 2008-11-25 Member: 65575Members
    edited February 2011
    being its own game? It will never be its own game, as long as it has a "2" at the end of its name. NS2 is a sequel, I should have innovative new features, but at the same time it has to seem familiar to fans of the original game.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    i have absolutely no problem with minileap, i even love it. needs some skill, but you can really surprise marines early in the game if you use it. move around, when you see that he lost you, stop and leap towards him. really powerfull.

Of course there should be a different reaction while leaping and running, currently you think its a bug that it does not work, because the animation is the same.
    <!--quoteo(post=1834077:date=Feb 21 2011, 11:37 AM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Feb 21 2011, 11:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834077"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i have absolutely no problem with minileap, i even love it. needs some skill, but you can really surprise marines early in the game if you use it. move around, when you see that he lost you, stop and leap towards him. really powerfull.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same, I like the minileap that you get at the beginning.
    As you said, "You can really surpise marines early in the game" and also I find it useful if I have low and I will then I can just leap around the corner out of site and run back to the hive.

I find easy to get that 1st hit on marines as well. Of the course lag makes it slightly hard but because they startled they spin around and fire at everything.

In my opinion:

Keep mini-leap.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1834080:date=Feb 21 2011, 04:44 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Feb 21 2011, 04:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834080"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Same, I like the minileap that you get at the beginning.
    As you said, "You can really surpise marines early in the game" and also I find it useful if I have low and I will then I can just leap around the corner out of site and run back to the hive.

I find easy to get that 1st hit on marines as well. Of the course lag makes it slightly hard but because they startled they spin around and fire at everything.

In my opinion:

Keep mini-leap.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ...but get rid of the animation for doing mini-leap while running (which does not work anyway)

+1
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1834048:date=Feb 21 2011, 11:53 AM:name=communism)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (communism @ Feb 21 2011, 11:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1834048"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do me a favor, be a dog like alien, see what happens.. oh wait you can't, its impossible.

HURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Do you grunt like a retard for ironic effect, or does it come naturally to you?

It's called internal consistency, or realism within the context. Google it.