Rine Sprinting & MAC speed

w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
edited February 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">slow it down</div>Ok, really marines are way too fast. When a marine sprints, I almost cannot catch up to him as a skulk. This makes it easy for a marine to just sprint away and reload.
(maybe remove sprinting alltogether?)

Also, MACs are superfast, as fast as skulks.

Comments

• kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I would say leave the marine sprinting ... if they wanna run let them.

The MAC speed is frustrating at times.
    I have found after doing lets says 80% damage to a marine structure.
    The marine commander sends in a MAC PACK ATTACK of 3 or 4 MACs which undo my damage in seconds
    and as long as he keeps them moving ....I cannot touch them as a skulk.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    marines can sprint the whole map without ever needing to stop. I made thread about this same problem, and developers didn't seem to think its a problem. Even though its clearly is when marine can out run skulks, and fades, sprint needs an out of breath effect.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    This is more of a feature rather than a bug imo. While sprinting you can't fire and are generally facing away from the attacking skulk. If lerks/fades are able to attack and retreat, so should the marines.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    It is annoying to chase a sprinting marine as a skulk since even though you might be right behind them, and even touching them, the net-code doesn't let the hits register if lag is up a bit.

Solution:

Marines get a little tuckered out after a good run. Let them run far enough to escape from one room and maybe halfway down a hallway, but then they gotta slow down to normal speed to breathe which lets the fade/skulk murderize them if that marine doesn't have friends within running distance.
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1833337:date=Feb 18 2011, 08:51 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Feb 18 2011, 08:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833337"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is more of a feature rather than a bug imo. While sprinting you can't fire and are generally facing away from the attacking skulk. If lerks/fades are able to attack and retreat, so should the marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you don't play aliens do you?

lerks can fly, and fades can teleport, so yes these two classes can attack and retreat lol

and skulks can climb walls so yes they can retreat as well
    a person should not be faster than a dog especially against some alien who's most effective on the ground.

but seriously, skulks cannot catch marines while they sprint, especially since sprint has NO cooldown. sprinting the whole map isn't a problem?
    sprint just needs some sort of cool down.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    My only beef with it is it makes it totally impossible for a fade to hit a sprinting marine due to the new blink mechanic. Well, not totally impossible, but very difficult, as you have to blink in front of them somehow. They have a limited stamina variable in the code, but they haven't made use of it yet. I hope they do (and make jumping cost stamina too).
    <!--quoteo(post=1833344:date=Feb 18 2011, 09:00 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Feb 18 2011, 09:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833344"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My only beef with it is it makes it totally impossible for a fade to hit a sprinting marine due to the new blink mechanic. Well, not totally impossible, but very difficult, as you have to blink in front of them somehow. They have a limited stamina variable in the code, but they haven't made use of it yet. I hope they do (and make jumping cost stamina too).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no no, you are 100% right. The correct word is impossible. fades cannot catch moving targets, cannot get into vents and are forced to chase marines on foot. current blink offers nothing but special effects, if you look past that you realize what you have is a useless ability. if a fade cannot catch a moving target, and be fast, he is useless. And with current sprint here, any good marine can KITE the fade in circles.

blink ability works great on paper, but it does not translate into live game play at all. having to constantly select an area to blink to, having poor aiming system and each blink you're blinded for split of a second - now do this in COMBAT! lets not forget the double clicking needed as well!

this game isn't made where I make 10 turns, and wait for you to make 10 turns, and so on. its all live game play.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited February 2011
    the problem here is that skulks can't catch sprinting marines, yes?

the solution for this

IS TO HAVE LEAP CAUSE SPRINTING MARINES TO STUMBLE UPON BEING STRUCK

damn I'm good.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't want a cooldown or limit to how long you can sprint as a marine.

But:
    a) Skulks should be able to catch running marines and MACs. Make skulks faster rather than marines slower or cooldown'd. I don't want this game to be any slower. The lack of bunnyhop is already quite dreary.

b) Marines shouldn't be able to reload while running. Currently, if you start reloading and then start running, you will reload your weapon, even the shotgun fully, while running.

I like DJPenguins idea of leap staggering the marines some, maybe something similar for fade's blink. Even if it's something you have to research.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1833364:date=Feb 18 2011, 12:51 PM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Feb 18 2011, 12:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833364"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Make skulks faster rather than marines slower or cooldown'd.

Marines shouldn't be able to reload while running.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

except that they just made both marines and skulks slower.... for ... some.. reason.... (still trying to figure that out)
    i agree it shouldn't be nerfed, especially due to my fear that it has something to do with a workaround to the hitching frames not allowing you to kill fast moving targets...

and while i normally agree with not being allowed to reload while running... its basically the only option he has since backwards speed is basically forced into never being used. and very few are able to take out two skulks with one magazine. what this means is:

if you dont have the luck of killing multiple skulks with just one mag - what else is your option as a marine in an encounter if you cannot run and reload? just say oops they rubber banded so now i die?

food for thought. :)
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Celerity 200% speedracer?
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1833369:date=Feb 18 2011, 10:07 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Feb 18 2011, 10:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833369"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->except that they just made both marines and skulks slower.... for ... some.. reason.... (still trying to figure that out)
    i agree it shouldn't be nerfed, especially due to my fear that it has something to do with a workaround to the hitching frames not allowing you to kill fast moving targets...

and while i normally agree with not being allowed to reload while running... its basically the only option he has since backwards speed is basically forced into never being used. and very few are able to take out two skulks with one magazine. what this means is:

if you dont have the luck of killing multiple skulks with just one mag - what else is your option as a marine in an encounter if you cannot run and reload? just say oops they rubber banded so now i die?

food for thought. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You know, NS is supposed to be a Team game, so if you run off and encounter 3 skulks and you run out of ammo, you SHOULD die.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Remember that when the SHIFT is introduced, there will probably be a speed upgrade.

However, I think the aliens should run 'slightly' faster so they can catch up over a distance of around 8m or so.
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1833369:date=Feb 18 2011, 10:07 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Feb 18 2011, 10:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833369"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if you dont have the luck of killing multiple skulks with just one mag - what else is your option as a marine in an encounter if you cannot run and reload? just say oops they rubber banded so now i die?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

didn't play NS1? what?

yes, you die buddy, what do you want? solo dozen of aliens alone?

but currently with how marines setup, marines can solo dozen of aliens without even trying or be good at aiming.
    here some amazingly overpowered things marines have:

1.flamethrowers - great lightsaber no aim required, just wave it around lol
    2.shotguns - 1shot anything, hell you need one shotgon to kill one hive
    3.medpacks restoring armor not just health - medpack spam anyone, god mode?
    4.sprint - out run skulks/fades
    5.armory restoring armor - (trying to point out its EASY to get armor now)
    6.macs doing all the work for marines - just keep stacking them, ftw?
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
    As soon as jetpacks eventually come into play, sprinting marines will be the least of our concerns.
    <!--quoteo(post=1833379:date=Feb 18 2011, 10:39 PM:name=TAPETRVE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TAPETRVE @ Feb 18 2011, 10:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833379"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As soon as jetpacks eventually come into play, sprinting marines will be the least of our concerns.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

just wait till they add ARC, hell HA aside from jetpacks. how about the new duel HMG? feels like we have western here, haha.
    aliens are so weak with gimped abilities they have now, its not even funny.
    aliens need tier 3 forms (onos) to fight tier 2 marines weapons, lol.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1833337:date=Feb 18 2011, 02:51 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Feb 18 2011, 02:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833337"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If lerks/fades are able to attack and retreat, so should the marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No.
    This doesn't seem worth discussion, because it's like saying, if marines have guns, so should the aliens. Just no.

Wodka is correct, Marines are too fast at getting around. I just sprint around the map totally destroying alien harvesters with my shotgun; getting there is no problem cause it takes 10 seconds. Even their starting rt gets blasted. I'm like a fade with a gun.

About overall movement speed... they nerfed it to compensate for the hitching and poor performance. No one could kill anything at the breakneck speed of NS1 with 6 tick/second. So it's slower now. Easier. In my opinion if you can still kill things reliably at 6 tick, the combat must be molasses slow. Makes me feel like I'm watching someone else play and telling them what to do.

Actually, the fact that poor performance would make such an impact in gameplay dynamics is a +++, because it means it is a fast-paced action game... don't 'fix' this please...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1833377:date=Feb 18 2011, 01:37 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Feb 18 2011, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833377"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->didn't play NS1? what?

yes, you die buddy, what do you want? solo dozen of aliens alone?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not saying that. I'm saying in its current state, its difficult to hit fast moving targets. (hence my suspicion of the slower speed changes)
    in NS1 it was much easier and marines had a better chance.
    currently i feel like i am lucky if i can kill two skulks with one mag. maybe i just suck. or maybe its the engine. idk
    thus, taking away the only other means of survival (running away) seems unfair currently... maybe when things get smoothed out it would make sense to not allow reloading while running?
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1833371:date=Feb 18 2011, 10:10 PM:name=w0dk4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (w0dk4 @ Feb 18 2011, 10:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833371"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know, NS is supposed to be a Team game, so if you run off and encounter 3 skulks and you run out of ammo, you SHOULD die.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's going to be trouble regardless of the reload unless aliens are able to hunt down marines. Every second skulk spends chasing down a sprinting marine in a predictable movement pattern is a serious risk, especially considering the more focused map flow and maybe less agile movement in general. You simply don't want to be chasing anything down as a skulk, especially not if the target is potentially fleeing towards a bunch of extra marines.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1833369:date=Feb 18 2011, 11:07 PM:name=ironhorse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ironhorse @ Feb 18 2011, 11:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833369"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if you dont have the luck of killing multiple skulks with just one mag - what else is your option as a marine in an encounter if you cannot run and reload? just say oops they rubber banded so now i die?

food for thought. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You do realize that optimally, you can kill 7 skulks in total with one pistol clip and rifle magazine.
    Pistol: 20 damage per shot -> 200 damage per clip = 2,5 skulks.
    Rifle: 10 damage per shot -> 400 damage per clip = 5 skulks.

The axe also does like 50 damage per hit.
    Flamer kills a skulk in a second.
    Shotgun one-hit-KOs skulks and lerks.

The shotty seems somewhat balanced against fades, takes three good hits (that's over 400 damage in 3 shots), but still it's too powerful against the lower creatures and structures. Res harvesters are so quick to kill with it.

All in all, currently it seems like that aliens will win if the round is very short or very long, either rush in the beginning or infesting the whole map. Middle length games are marine victories, when they start getting shotties and flamers.
    <!--quoteo(post=1833402:date=Feb 18 2011, 03:14 PM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Feb 18 2011, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You do realize that optimally, you can kill 7 skulks in total with one pistol clip and rifle magazine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

did you read my last post??

i think people keep scanning over my posts...
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1833402:date=Feb 19 2011, 07:14 AM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Feb 19 2011, 07:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You do realize that optimally, you can kill 7 skulks in total with one pistol clip and rifle magazine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    And optimally, you can kill an infinite number of marines with 1 skulk, because they use energy which restores readily.
    Just saying.

Also,
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pistol: 20 damage per shot -> 200 damage per clip = 2,5 skulks.
    Rifle: 10 damage per shot -> 400 damage per clip = 5 skulks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Pistol is right, because the skulk has an effective HP of 80; Rifle is wrong, because the skulk has an effective HP of 90, so it's 4.4444444 skulks.
    Round down, that's six skulks. Account for missing, that's probably 3 or 4 skulks at best.
  • PampelmusePampelmuse Join Date: 2005-04-06 Member: 47641Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1833337:date=Feb 18 2011, 02:51 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Feb 18 2011, 02:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833337"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is more of a feature rather than a bug imo. While sprinting you can't fire and are generally facing away from the attacking skulk. If lerks/fades are able to attack and retreat, so should the marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this would totally nullify the aliens advantage to take cover after an attack... while they still keep their disadvantage of being forced to melee attack
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2011
    I'll Let the code speak for themselves.

Marine.lua:
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Marine.kWalkMaxSpeed = 5                // Four miles an hour = 6,437 meters/hour = 1.8 meters/second (increase for FPS tastes)
    Marine.kRunMaxSpeed = 6.0               // 10 miles an hour = 16,093 meters/hour = 4.4 meters/second (increase for FPS tastes)<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

Skulk.lua:
    <!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->Skulk.kMaxSpeed = 6.2<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

Without Running Leap, a Skulk has little chance of chasing down a fleeing Marine, as running in a straight line is suicidal for a Skulk.

Perhaps, Running Leap should have its Tier 2 requirement removed (similar to SC2 zergling speed). It would still be costly (10 res for Whip, 5 for Running Leap).
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Aliens should be able to hit marines while sprinting if they can catch them, but generally as alien I am content to let marines just run back to base, it is essentially the same as killing them, they just get to keep their stuff.

It is entirely possible that exosuits for example will be unable to sprint, so they will be easier to kill if overpowered, while standard marines retain the possibility of retreating. I don't see this as a problem.
    <!--quoteo(post=1833511:date=Feb 19 2011, 05:51 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Feb 19 2011, 05:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1833511"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aliens should be able to hit marines while sprinting if they can catch them, but generally as alien I am content to let marines just run back to base, it is essentially the same as killing them, they just get to keep their stuff.

It is entirely possible that exosuits for example will be unable to sprint, so they will be easier to kill if overpowered, while standard marines retain the possibility of retreating. I don't see this as a problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True for NS mode, but as soon as it comes to deathmatch, you'll think otherwise.
    I wasn't aware NS2 had a deathmatch mode.
    Not yet, but I'm sure combat will follow one day. And then you won't be able to afford letting a target escape.
    edited February 2011
    Actually I'm fairly sure combat isn't going to be officially released, and I really don't care if some badly made mod doesn't work with features from the core game.

It's also a fairly flimsy justification for removing sprint, because it might not work in some hypothetical future gamemode which has very little to do with the actual game being released.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    Why isnt it the same as NS1?, it seemed pretty balanced to me.