Has it improved?

SquishyTomatoSquishyTomato Join Date: 2005-06-27 Member: 54761Members
I last played this during the alpha phase which could barely handle 4 people per server.

Now before I go ahead and download it again and use up some bandwidth, how is it these days?

Can servers handle more than atleast 10 people?

Comments

• countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    Yes, about 10 people. But it lags at the moment, some probs with server performance. Well just download it, I mean how long can it take to download....^^
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Sometimes, sometimes not. Crashes a lot this build, but runs better in general.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1832030:date=Feb 14 2011, 04:15 AM:name=countbasie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (countbasie @ Feb 14 2011, 04:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832030"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well just download it, I mean how long can it take to download....^^<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Perhaps he lives in Canada.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Didn't they mention a release of build163 on Tuesday! Let's not have him use up bandwidth for just one day only to have to re-download the next patch as well. My advice is to wait on build 163, it should also bring a lot of improvements and of course new stuff with bugs as well :P
  • SkiddywinksSkiddywinks Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77239Members
    It is improving all the time, little by little. It's the way game development works.

Having said that, the last build or two have had some performance issues (server end it seems) that makes it nigh on unplayable on loaded servers. The more powerful ones can brute force through it, but a lot of others can be hit quite hard.

But before that I was having some amazingly smooth and fun games, so hopefully it will improve again shortly.

Next patch is indeed on Tuesday.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    stability needs a lot of work, but the game itself slowly changing each patch.
  • SkiddywinksSkiddywinks Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77239Members
    Have to say I have not had a single crash whilst playing NS2, so it sounds like a specific issue with certain hardware (obviously still needs sorting out), rather than an issue with the game as a whole.
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    Yeah, the situation in Egypt has Improved.

But you can expect your fps to drop again when they add the dynamic infestation and turn on the Atmospherics.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1832034:date=Feb 13 2011, 07:24 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 13 2011, 07:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832034"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Didn't they mention a release of build163 on Tuesday! Let's not have him use up bandwidth for just one day only to have to re-download the next patch as well. My advice is to wait on build 163, it should also bring a lot of improvements and of course new stuff with bugs as well :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Its not like he's going to have to redownload the whole game. Might as well get the bulk of it now.

@op Its much improved over the alpha, but there is still some lag. I've had some pretty fun matches in the B160+ patches.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    Yes, it has improved greatly, i remember in build 156 up to build 160, it was possible to have a playable 20 player game, however some server issues have made the server stability falter above 10 or so players, so hopefully it gets better in build 163, but if you want to reinstall to see the progress, then by all means go ahead.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    Since alpha? Hell yes!

For me it's already at a point where it's my go to FPS game. Meaning that, despite the problems, it's more fun that anything else I got. And I got L4D2 and BF:BC2 which I still played from time to time but haven't touched since NS2-B160+
  • RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
    I would wait until Patch Tuesday™ and then give it a whirl, the game is still very much work in progress so don't expect finished product yet but we should see at least some for of DI (finally) and usable ARCs if the dev tracker is correct :D
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1832087:date=Feb 13 2011, 11:46 PM:name=Heroman117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heroman117 @ Feb 13 2011, 11:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832087"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, it has improved greatly, i remember in build 156 up to build 160, it was possible to have a <!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->playable 20 player game<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->, however some server issues have made the server stability falter above 10 or so players, so hopefully it gets better in build 163, but if you want to reinstall to see the progress, then by all means go ahead.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think your definition of playable and my definition of playable vary drastically. On a pre-B160 build I never had a game with more than 10 people that didn't end in a server crash or unbearable lag.
  • ChrystolisChrystolis Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72903Members
    I also recently re-downloaded the game after not having played since very early alpha. I've been peeking online once or twice a night, but still have yet to see more than possibly one server with anyone in it.

Is there any time that's typically best to find a game? I have yet to get in a single actual game since I've re-downloaded it, but perhaps there will be more people around with the patch tomorrow? Any suggestions on times/places to find people playing? (I'm in the US)

The game's obviously improved a ton since I last tried it, and I'm excited to check things out again!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1832185:date=Feb 14 2011, 03:43 PM:name=Chrystolis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chrystolis @ Feb 14 2011, 03:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832185"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also recently re-downloaded the game after not having played since very early alpha. I've been peeking online once or twice a night, but still have yet to see more than possibly one server with anyone in it.

Is there any time that's typically best to find a game? I have yet to get in a single actual game since I've re-downloaded it, but perhaps there will be more people around with the patch tomorrow? Any suggestions on times/places to find people playing? (I'm in the US)

The game's obviously improved a ton since I last tried it, and I'm excited to check things out again!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tomorrow. :V
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    I nearly couldn't move during alpha so it has def improved :)
    On some servers I even manage to play a decent 8 player game :)

But it still has a loooooooooooooong way to go to 32-player servers :p
    <!--quoteo(post=1832185:date=Feb 14 2011, 12:43 PM:name=Chrystolis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chrystolis @ Feb 14 2011, 12:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1832185"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also recently re-downloaded the game after not having played since very early alpha. I've been peeking online once or twice a night, but still have yet to see more than possibly one server with anyone in it.

The game's obviously improved a ton since I last tried it, and I'm excited to check things out again!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All the servers usually fill up (to the point where you can't find an open slot!) for about a day after a patch. Then they usually trickle down to 1-2 filled servers.