Development Blog Update - NS2 Q&A #1

Comments

• ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    edited February 2011
    one more Q:
    What about great feature from NS1 .. welders?

(yesterday night I was playing NS1 .. and whole 20min game mostly welding my team mates .. we won!)
  • AltF4AltF4 Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22587Members
    you think this is a good way to get chicks?
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited February 2011
    Very nice i hope they tell us some day something about the "new" 2 chamber.
  • c0kec0ke Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29676Members
    this reminds me of the videos kids upload to youtube where they try to sing or doing something similar bad where you ask yourself "why did they upload that useless ######?"

making a video for 1 question and 1 answer is a waste. especially when the video doesnt show anything explaining
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    People on this forum are awesome...

UWE focuses on making the game, updates suffer: QQ ensues
    UWE tweets an update: moar QQ
    UWE releases a video-update instead of a 12-word tweet: INSTANT QQ

Bah.

I only have one burning question. What, and I think I am speaking for all old-timers, what was/is <i>teh BUS</i>!??
    WAT!? And don't give us a silly answer like: "The BUS is: Public transportation/actually called Nexus/Karl's project and he is afk".

Just to ramp it up a notch (see what I just did?), I will publicly state that if your response does not immediately and fully satisfy every single expectation I, or anyone else, may have, have had, will have or could have had, I will without hesitation respond with a loud, unapologetic: "Oh."

Love and kisses,
    Silver

=D
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1828937:date=Feb 1 2011, 05:05 AM:name=WatchMaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WatchMaker @ Feb 1 2011, 05:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828937"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->xVisions asks: "What do you have planned for the squad system?"
    UWE answers: "dunno lol"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah. 69 seconds of my life I won't get back.
  • UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1829011:date=Feb 2 2011, 12:38 AM:name=Silverwing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Silverwing @ Feb 2 2011, 12:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829011"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People on this forum are awesome...

UWE focuses on making the game, updates suffer: QQ ensues
    UWE tweets an update: moar QQ
    UWE releases a video-update instead of a 12-word tweet: INSTANT QQ

Bah.

I only have one burning question. What, and I think I am speaking for all old-timers, what was/is <i>teh BUS</i>!??
    WAT!? And don't give us a silly answer like: "The BUS is: Public transportation/actually called Nexus/Karl's project and he is afk".

Just to ramp it up a notch (see what I just did?), I will publicly state that if your response does not immediately and fully satisfy every single expectation I, or anyone else, may have, have had, will have or could have had, I will without hesitation respond with a loud, unapologetic: "Oh."

Love and kisses,
    Silver

=D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    omg its teh bus waht is it
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited February 2011
    I'm not in favor of this Q&A video thing.

I liked the 162 patch/update video as it went along with the change log and explained either the details or why and how changes were made. It's a great way for the developers to express their ideas with some emotion or emphasis. While it's nice to hear a question answered, I don't think UWE needs to be catering to stuff in this way -- no matter how many people ask. I believe that UWE needs to spend their time on things that are valuable to <b>them and their work</b>. I know reading input from forums or any other source is time consuming...but you already see our input and are going to make those changes (or not) either way, regardless of you letting us know about it beforehand.

I'm sure UWE values their customers and wants to make them feel involved but I don't think something like this is necessary for either party. We are paying for your end-product. I don't expect anyone patting my back and letting me know everything is going to be alright during the process.

I don't like to be negative -- I liked the video -- but I think there is too much concern put on giving us something to look at every day. With the information hungry community you have they will want more, and, if they dont like it, they will throw it back in your face (all game communities are like that). You (UWE) have your progress tracker already for us to view, you post progess updates more frequently than any developer I have seen, you frequently comment on community posts... I personally have faith that you are all doing your job and will give us something we will be happy with. Keep your nose to the grind and make your game -- when it comes down to it, that's the most important thing, right?

<i>edit: When looking in detail at the thread mentioned, most of these questions are there just to get curiousity satisfied. Taking time to explain a lot of these things doesn't seem to help UWE in any way other than to take their focus away from what they were working on (especially when the answers to those questions won't change anything). Maybe you have someone who pools all these questions and does a quick interview with each of you, taking very little time, I don't know. If you continue to do this, I hope that it at least helps you organize your tasks better and gives <b>you</b> better insight in the overall plan for the game. This really seems like something that should be done prior to final release in describing your development process and choices.</i>
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1829025:date=Feb 1 2011, 11:22 AM:name=Josh86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Josh86 @ Feb 1 2011, 11:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829025"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><i>opinion</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hi Josh. Velcome =)

Since you are relatively new, I will enlighten (or remind as the case may be) you of the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107028&hl=taser" target="_blank">Taser</a>.

The community surely swayed Flayra away from that idea.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I'm a bigger fan of the patch/build update vids.
    It's like we the fans are trick or treating...and not only do we get candy ...you open the door and sing to us.

Trying to answer unsolved questions at this point I feel is a waste of fans and devs time.
    You could have just done a post of ...this is what we can answer.

If you are trying something new in a build and you WANT feedback point it out.
    You can even word it indicating that it is not permanent.

Example:
    "We are trying to improve the squad formation by giving bonuses this build, this may not stay which is why I use the word trying."

and yes this is all my opinion :-)
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi Josh. Velcome =)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hey Silver, thanks!

Been a long-time NS1 player/fan (not a donating constellation member, like you though ;P) and a reader for NS2. I just recently decided to sign up and participate in the forums and getsatisfaction now that the game is something I can sink some time into.

My comments are indeed opinion -- it's good that you point it out to remind those that tend to take posts to heart. I remember reading about the taser and completely forgot about it until you brought it up! I still stick with my opinion, though. I really want the team to fixate on development and not add any more complications (however small) to their work. Reporting on development too frequently just creates another list of things to do for the week. I guess I'm the type of person who sometimes sees things black and white or in the simplest terms possible, especially when it comes to accomplishing work.
  • RahabibRahabib Join Date: 2004-01-22 Member: 25595Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1828980:date=Feb 1 2011, 05:13 AM:name=firepower)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (firepower @ Feb 1 2011, 05:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think more accurate targeting or target assist when in squad.
    after all more eyes and ears give earlier warning / detection.

maybe a mini radar / motion tracking of where ever squad members looking , like shared view,
    will encourage squad memebers to look more directions.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with this. armor buff doesnt make sense to me. shared radar/minimap, or even a "morale" boost where you can concentrate a bit better and get slightly better accuracy would make more sense.

maybe allow squad leaders to set way points or give commands, allow squads to drop heal packs for each other, shared resources, allow someone to spot that shows up as a targeting bracket on your screen (like a wall hack as long as maintains visual - ok that may be difficult to do, but cool.)... IDK, just naming ideas.
  • ZupE891ZupE891 Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67623Members
    you do not have to increase anything for squads... squads will work when the game is actually playable
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    edited February 2011
    What about a visual indication of damage to your squadmates?

It could be like the classic red HUD indicator with direction forward, left, right, behind, to show you the direction of a damage source. Make a yellow layer on top for squadmates' damage.

I don't like the idea of a hard stat buff. Game dynamics alone should encourage teamplay.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1829062:date=Feb 1 2011, 03:00 PM:name=ZupE891)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZupE891 @ Feb 1 2011, 03:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829062"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you do not have to increase anything for squads... squads will work when the game is actually playable<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

adding bonuses for moving as a squad will entice people to play as a squad. adding more reason to stick together is a great idea to promote team work. i hope they add something similar for the aliens giving them bonuses for using their classes properly. for example, giving skulks bonuses for ambush kills or giving lerks bonuses for team support.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    just make points slowly increase for any player in a squad, since points are meaningless and free gratis
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    Yeah but I think it's no the right way to do it, adding armor bonus and stuff, things should be more natural.

Like not dying would be a nice natural bonus, for this you have to make sure that a lonely marine as high chances to die.
    For example marines in SC2 do not get bonus when their are in big ball, right ? But their are more powerful because of
    an area/circumference effect, they get harder to surround.

Welding is also a good way to make people stick together.

And if marines could drop part of their ammo ? This would also promote interaction.

Visual indication of damage and such should be made by sound as much as possible, if a marines close to
    you fire or is bitted you hear it, right ?

What task does requires many people in real life ? Carry heavy things, cross an obstacle ?
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    I feel sorry for UWE. By opening their development process to the public, they have completely opened themselves up to the unstoppable social force of the unwashed and uncensored masses. Many have tried to stand against this seemingly unstoppable titan, from the mere single person to whole empires, but almost all have failed in their quest, been trampled by its onslaught, and ultimately crumbled to tiny pieces under the unwavering weight of its endless demands and complaints.

This one if for you guys. Keep strong. I'm behind you.
    <a href="http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/5/1/" target="_blank">http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/5/1/</a>
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I feel like I just read Christian "Love God" propaganda in the form of geek-gamer.
  • LorenzoLorenzo Join Date: 2004-01-23 Member: 25624Members
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited February 2011
    imo, a squad bonus would make more sense if it had to do something with the ability of the marines themselves, instead of a bonus to a stat like durability. if this game had morale for instance, a squad of marines staying together would be braver. but for something that can be done in the game, quicker reloads or steadier aim come to mind.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1829088:date=Feb 1 2011, 07:51 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Feb 1 2011, 07:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829088"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I feel like I just read Christian "Love God" propaganda in the form of geek-gamer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

...wut? o.O
  • MetroMetro Join Date: 2007-09-15 Member: 62316Members
    Awesome idea! I would love to see more! Q&A is always a smart idea.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2011
    - Making the Q&A video based with the Developers is a very good idea.
    - Making them about 1-5 minutes is a nice time to get some information out in parts.
    - I like the sympathic and friendly mimic and telling.

My Suggestions:

- It could look more professional (though its a pilot) with the following points:
    + Company/Game Background
    + Maybe Intro/Outro with the Alien Presentation effect (Just gives more feeling to what the video is related) But not more then a few seconds.
    + The extract of the video could be a bit better, more variation about that - play around with perspectives and make it more intuitive
    + Other Dev's :)

- Throw in some stills while you talk, so people can follow what is being said but have also something for the eyes. Maybe just Max who's coding on the other side of the Room, or the pinned concepts. Or topic-related stuff - for this example how the commander is using the squads in the game. (Some people may not even know how the squads now work so show it while you anwser questions about its future.)

- Don't make it too serious, a little sublimial humour/effects makes it much more enjoyable.

Also, you could make a video where you talk about the Open Development Strategy in general. Most people don't understand/know it and it's always a pleasure to see how you guys are experiencing it. That could clear many things in people minds i believe. In Remember of the alpha. Also it makes you stand out much more in competition. Tell the people what makes you so cool.

And thanks for the videos! Keep it up!
  • mattiemattie belgium Join Date: 2010-08-03 Member: 73439Members
    keep em coming! and keep em short :)
  • korvokorvo Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69427Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2011
    * I had some troubles to understand Charlie (volume + no native speaker = trouble)
    * I don't like to have sound for each information.
    * You can read faster than you can hear, espacially for short and pure word-information

For me this video wasn't really usefull...

Edit: Another point to be mentioned:
    If you use a video, you can use pictures to bring out your information.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Not a fan of the armor bonus idea. "I'm standing next to someone, so my armor becomes stronger." Maybe an a hud display to show an enemy is near by if someone in the squad sees something, but even then a maybe. No need to dumb down a proven game. Imo.
  • c0kec0ke Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29676Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1829221:date=Feb 2 2011, 03:24 PM:name=The_Ranger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The_Ranger @ Feb 2 2011, 03:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829221"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not a fan of the armor bonus idea. "I'm standing next to someone, so my armor becomes stronger." Maybe an a hud display to show an enemy is near by if someone in the squad sees something, but even then a maybe. No need to dumb down a proven game. Imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what about 1hp/5s or
    "catalyst"/attackspeed bonus when one of your groupmates dies or
    MT for a very close range or
    something that uncloaks in a small area around

tho i like your idea too
    a lot of possabilities
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Enemies in sight of squad mates being visible through walls sounds great.
  • LepockLepock Join Date: 2010-03-24 Member: 71067Members
    Well what about an automatic armor regeneration when near squadmates. Unless they add welders or something else, there is no current way to repair armor in the field.