+flares

derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
edited February 2011 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">flares plus flashlight = ATMOSPHERE</div>i always eager to achieve such lightning effects like u can see in 3rd person view with the flashlight, but its beams are just going straight forward ... so i was thinking how to light up a room from a different angle as my own: flares!

flickering flares (maybe rolling on the ground a little bit, quaking with the stomps of an onos) would add an immense atmosphere to a dark or powered off room.

<strike>whats about only a little akkupack for the flashlights (fast recovering too!) like half-life had had, so after 10-15 seconds lights go out again and the rines have to throw out some flares to get more light into a room.</strike>

Comments

• mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    I condone more cool lightning. The goes-out-after-1-minute flashlight is retarded, always has been
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't like the idea of flashlights being able to go out.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    flashlights going out = bad
    flickering flares with some steam = cool
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    To start I think that you can already see the dynamic lighting from different angles when other players use their flashlights.

But Yes to flares! Not convinced on the rechargeable batterypack thing. I also dream of flares, but anything added should add to gameplay, Yes? So here is my idea:

Remember NS1 had the sensor tower with a radius that just turned cloaking off? Well the idea I keep trying to pitch about dynamic lighting is that the marines can build/research a special light emitter a that reveals cloaked aliens. So in NS2 the uncloaking of an alien happens via line of sight to an light emitter and not with simple radius of effect. This could be flares, special flood light buildings, or marines which purchased the upgraded flashlight.

I mean this makes the battle environment even more dynamic. because where to throw the flares is important due to room geometry and for aliens the have to keep track of where the flares and hide behind columns and geometry to remain invisible.

I'm not sure but I think that the game already uses several lighting layers, can't that feature be used to achieve really special FX like this? Maybe they could be UV Flares which makes alien brighter when not cloaked and visible when cloaked.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1828875:date=Feb 1 2011, 12:39 AM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Feb 1 2011, 12:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828875"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To start I think that you can already see the dynamic lighting from different angles when other players use their flashlights.

But Yes to flares! Not convinced on the rechargeable batterypack thing. I also dream of flares, but anything added should add to gameplay, Yes? So here is my idea:

Remember NS1 had the sensor tower with a radius that just turned cloaking off? Well the idea I keep trying to pitch about dynamic lighting is that the marines can build/research a special light emitter a that reveals cloaked aliens. So in NS2 the uncloaking of an alien happens via line of sight to an light emitter and not with simple radius of effect. This could be flares, special flood light buildings, or marines which purchased the upgraded flashlight.

I mean this makes the battle environment even more dynamic. because where to throw the flares is important due to room geometry and for aliens the have to keep track of where the flares and hide behind columns and geometry to remain invisible.

I'm not sure but I think that the game already uses several lighting layers, can't that feature be used to achieve really special FX like this? Maybe they could be UV Flares which makes alien brighter when not cloaked and visible when cloaked.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I support everything this man just said.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    There really isn't a need for flares in NS2 since you already have an infinite flashlight. Granted they look cool (especially w/ dynamic lighting) but as for gameplay it's function is redundant.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    its the future god damnit, how would a one minute flashlight make any sense.. at the time NS takes place they surely have some flashlights which could shine for a eternity.. powered by some fusion cell. but you could have dynamic infestation mess with flash lights.. making them flicker and go totaly wonkers by bacteria entering the internals of the lamps circuits, clogging its series of tubes
  • RamblemoeRamblemoe Join Date: 2010-12-21 Member: 75812Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1828913:date=Feb 1 2011, 02:59 AM:name=sheena_yanai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sheena_yanai @ Feb 1 2011, 02:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828913"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->its the future god damnit, how would a one minute flashlight make any sense.. at the time NS takes place they surely have some flashlights which could shine for a eternity.. powered by some fusion cell. but you could have dynamic infestation mess with flash lights.. making them flicker and go totaly wonkers by bacteria entering the internals of the lamps circuits, clogging its series of tubes<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Series of tubes. + 5 internets.

OnT: I don't think anyone would want to pop a flare indoor. It's like a damn smoke grenade. Enter the glow stick. Glow sticks would be pretty awesome.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Enter the glow stick. Glow sticks would be pretty awesome.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2 won't be complete without readyroom raves and techno music.
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    I fully support glow sticks. They could light up a room like your flashlight couldn't.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=109032" target="_blank">Already thought of :P</a>
  • RamblemoeRamblemoe Join Date: 2010-12-21 Member: 75812Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Retired Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1828917:date=Feb 1 2011, 03:11 AM:name=aeroripper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aeroripper @ Feb 1 2011, 03:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828917"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 won't be complete without readyroom raves and techno music.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I wouldn't mind tbh. Although I was thinking glow sticks as in awesome ninja-esque SWAT and not glow sticks as in kids on drugs.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    you mean BLUE LIGHT???

you know what it does!!!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like my flashlight not running out.

I think if the rooms that lost power were pitch black instead of the current red glow. And then throw a flare in there to brighten the place up it'd be cool.

Personally not a big fan of the powered down red glow. As it probably wouldn't go visually well with greenish yellow dynamic infestation.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    How about a flashlight attachment that will make alien footprints visible?
    <!--quoteo(post=1828973:date=Feb 1 2011, 05:32 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Feb 1 2011, 05:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828973"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about a flashlight attachment that will make alien footprints visible?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    erh.. can you even imagine how much packets that would require to update these?
    think again
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Seeing as I have no idea what 'packets' are....

footprints appear in other multiplayer games, at least you can see the most recent ones.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Footprints would just be decals, sheena.
  • SpaZSpaZ Join Date: 2003-06-11 Member: 17256Members
    I like the idea of a glow stick that would reveal cloaked aliens. Would be like wards or dust in HoN :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1828989:date=Feb 1 2011, 08:27 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Feb 1 2011, 08:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828989"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Footprints would just be decals, sheena.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    What do you mean with "just decals" even the position of these decals for each step and for each alien have to be transmitted to the client, and updated. If you do tracks like in other games , they would be quite pointless , way to short living to save performance, and mostly just rendered client sided without crosscheck with every person on the map.
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited February 2011
    Flares would be pretty neat. All the recent AvP (1,2,3) PC games had the flare for the marines. This was one thing I really liked from the original AvP on PC. I'm not sure how taxing player introduced dynamic lighting would be in the game engine during a 16+ multiplayer game, though.

I also would be in favor of total darkness when the power nodes get destroyed. I guess it depends on how they are designing the alien's view in dark areas. It's hard to say...aliens are already going to have DI as their thing to show what areas are under control. Powered/well lit areas are kinda a signature for the marines right now (though all rooms start with power). Darkness is a disadvantage to both, but moreso for marines as they need power for structures.

The way it is now, the red emergency light makes sense with balance for room control. Adding darkness plus DI gives the aliens a bigger advantage when controlling areas over the marines. It's almost like the marines need something in addition to having a powered area.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1828917:date=Jan 31 2011, 09:11 PM:name=aeroripper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aeroripper @ Jan 31 2011, 09:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828917"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 won't be complete without readyroom raves and techno music.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Already thought about. I produce my own electronic dance music now too so this will be done eventually even if my map doesn't become official... What's funny is I never used to go to raves back when I made the first rave room...
  • RahabibRahabib Join Date: 2004-01-22 Member: 25595Members
    like the idea of glowsticks/flares as long as they are limited to 1 per person (makes staying in squads more likely).
  • GregWildGregWild Join Date: 2010-04-16 Member: 71425Members
    I'd definitely agree with making things darker when nodes are destroyed, so long as aliens get some kind of nightvision. Might also be better if DI has lighting though... that way it's more a tactical choice for areas under Marine control/neutral, rather another defensive advantage for the aliens.
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    how about giving the aliens red glow nightvision - the marines will then have complete darkness in powernodeless areas and require the flashlight, while the aliens will see approx. the same as they see in emergency red light at the moment
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    limited battery power for flashlights is stupid. abso-effing-lutely stupid.
  • SamWSamW Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2515Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1828875:date=Jan 31 2011, 02:39 PM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Jan 31 2011, 02:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828875"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Remember NS1 had the sensor tower with a radius that just turned cloaking off? Well the idea I keep trying to pitch about dynamic lighting is that the marines can build/research a special light emitter a that reveals cloaked aliens. So in NS2 the uncloaking of an alien happens via line of sight to an light emitter and not with simple radius of effect. This could be flares, special flood light buildings, or marines which purchased the upgraded flashlight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I remember in Metro 2033, there where these "ghosts" which you could really only see if you used your flashlight. They would basically cast a shadow when you shined the light on them. It would be an interesting effect if aliens casted shadows from your flashlight or a specially upgraded flashlight.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1829055:date=Feb 1 2011, 07:12 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Feb 1 2011, 07:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829055"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->limited battery power for flashlights is stupid. abso-effing-lutely stupid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I used to hate this about Half Life as well. A futuristic body suit with 'rechargeable power armour' but yet the flash light ran out after a minute.

It doesn't bode well for the future of electric transport.
    <!--quoteo(post=1829170:date=Feb 2 2011, 09:51 PM:name=SamW)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SamW @ Feb 2 2011, 09:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829170"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I remember in Metro 2033, there where these "ghosts" which you could really only see if you used your flashlight. They would basically cast a shadow when you shined the light on them. It would be an interesting effect if aliens casted shadows from your flashlight or a specially upgraded flashlight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That would be so ###### creepy, i liked that effect in metro , and thinking about how aliens coud make themself invisible by pushing themself out of phase just enough that light is passing right through them as long thy wont move, and a flashlight addon with "out of phase light" that could cast at least a faint shadow of the alien you shine it at..... Dang, wait a second... Wasnt that this one stargate episode?
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like the flare/gluestick idea!

Just keep it to max. 2 sticks each life that you can drop/throw. It would act in a specific color and steam a bit. So you could lighten up vents etc.
    Also aliens with activated nightvision (soon to come i hope!) could be blinded by these things, so they have to switch to normal view again! More interesting combat situations!