Create the NS2 minimap icons

167891012»

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I can see yours, one is green and the other is orange, or specifically one is noticeably brighter than the other.

The sillhouettes are still pretty terrible on all the icons I've seen though, although your little white blocks are quite visible. I think the best approach would be to make simple geometric shapes rather than really pixellated images of the objects.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    The simplified approach would be to make aliens circles, marines arrows and buildings squares. But I think that is going a bit too far.

The best way to get a clean icons (which I'd like to do at some point) is to work everything in vector format and then import to Photoshop.

You get perfect scaling and anti-aliasing and they look very sharp and clear. I used to hate Illustrator, but I have come to realise how bloody awesome it is.

But this is all a problem of working with a limited pixel count 32x32.
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1828478:date=Jan 29 2011, 05:59 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Jan 29 2011, 05:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828478"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The simplified approach would be to make aliens circles, marines arrows and buildings squares. But I think that is going a bit too far.

The best way to get a clean icons (which I'd like to do at some point) is to work everything in vector format and then import to Photoshop.

You get perfect scaling and anti-aliasing and they look very sharp and clear. I used to hate Illustrator, but I have come to realise how bloody awesome it is.

But this is all a problem of working with a limited pixel count 32x32.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You don't need to be that simple, but for structures you could simplify an infantry portal to a circle with three dots above it, a crag to a dome with spikes on it, a whip to a curled line like a ?, a lerk to a dot with a ^ either side of it, a marine extractor to a capital M, and so on.

Simple shapes which are distinct and easy to see, but which also resemble the objects in question as viewed from the player perspective (because not all players will be familiar with the top down view).
  • jamieshepherdjamieshepherd Join Date: 2009-09-04 Member: 68693Members
    Runteh you keep talking about how your icons are so recognisable and obvious, yet you've used bullet holes for a marines death, and a scratch mark for an alien death, instead of the universally recognisable skull and crossbones.. Also why are the marines arrows, yet the aliens are pictures of the aliens? Unecessary layer of confusion for someone who says he has thought so much about the design and 'readability'.
  • MahmuttiMahmutti Join Date: 2010-05-25 Member: 71854Members
    edited January 2011
    I believe he explained that he was attempting to go for a more "biological" style with the alien icons whereas the marine icons are "man-made". I personally like that. The death icons could use some improving though.

I'm probably going to use Runteh's icons if they give us the option to change them. They fit the style of the map really well and are easy to read - even on 16x16.
    edited January 2011
    It does make sense. If you look at the marine icons from top down they somewhat mimic that 'lifeform aspect' of the alien team. If everything has a complex biological feel it would look very samey. Not only that, but it is harder to recognise a silhouette of people from top down. It is hard to convey in 32x32 pixels.

They are also the only triangles on the map, and are unique from one another whilst in keeping with the identifier of a 'marine'.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe he explained that he was attempting to go for a more "biological" style with the alien icons whereas the marine icons are "man-made". I personally like that. The death icons could use some improving though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As for skull and crossbones, I'm not going to argue that I didn't want to take some artistic liberties. But it certainly makes for something that not only fits in the with the NS2 logo but also differentiates between two different deaths very easily.

Not just in colour (when 5 people are fighting in close proximity) but also in form.

Oh, and it is a scratch mark for marine death and bullet holes for aliens. The colours in the mock up are probably messed up. I thought it would be appropriate though to have a colour identifier just for deaths, but just stuck red in for both. I probably mixed them up.

But like I say, I'm not arguing for mine to be used - but for an emphasis on the functional aspect of icon/UI design. Because outside of the four walls that you are always encompassed by, it is your eyes to some very important information that you need to read quickly and efficiently.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    We spent a good amount of time looking at all the submissions. None of the submissions were perfect. They all had elements that worked well, and some elements which didn't. We chose Supernorns because we felt, overall, his were easily recognizable and fit the best aesthetically.

We've already given him some notes of things to change, and there will be more as we get them in game and see which ones need more work. We can easily tweak the colors.

Its easy to get caught up trying to perfect each small aspect of the game, but at the end of the day, the diminishing returns from spending a huge chunk of time on just MINIMAP ICONS is just not worth it. Most players will be able to recognize the majority of Supernorns on first glance, and the ones they don't understand they will learn as they go along. Players being able to distinguish an armory from a prototype module on the minimap is really not that necessary, and is not really what having the map is there for.

Everyone is going to have an opinion about which ones they think are the nicest looking, or the easiest to understand, but we've made the decision to go with Supernorns and the decision is final.

--Cory
  • eisigereisiger Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75159Members
    edited January 2011
    I was sure I had perfected my craft, but I guess I haven't perfected my persuasion. While nobody agrees with this decision, I respect your distanced, carefree spirit.
    Well, I hope my replies have not angered you Cory, or played down the winner (well done Supernorn) as I am enjoying the development of what you guys are doing. I was not here to question the winner, just the finer points of Icon/UI design and their improvement.
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    edited January 2011
    Runteh so angry with you! :)

Just make them in your own image, put them out for others who like them too. done.
    Yeah it isn't that big of a deal because I do have the knowhow required to replace them.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    It doesn't matter because it will be easy for any one with a little knowledge to just change the icons and release it to the public. I was a little disappointed at first myself, but then I remembered that I can just download the ones I like, xvisions, and swap out the default ones.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1828502:date=Jan 29 2011, 08:07 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jan 29 2011, 08:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1828502"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We've already given him some notes of things to change, and there will be more as we get them in game and see which ones need more work. We can easily tweak the colors.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i'ml interested in what things they told super to change, so maybe it might look different then the last version we've seen. Maybe if super or cory can post the updated version of the finished icons would be great.
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    It's not going to look majorly different from the initial completed set. The notes I received were minor tweaks in regards to scale, some switching around and one or two tweaks for better readability. Rest assured that if you hated the originals your opinion is unlikely to change in the near future :P
  • Slickk-Slickk- Join Date: 2007-11-26 Member: 63019Members
    Congrats Supernorn.

I liked different icons submitted by different people but the that there will be a system for us to choose is awesome.
    Means everyone can do as they please and then nobody is unhappy.

Although i definitely am changing the Onos symbol to "Run!".

Also the following i really like. Not sure if it went unnoticed due to the sea of congratulations.

<!--quoteo(post=1827944:date=Jan 28 2011, 02:14 AM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Jan 28 2011, 02:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh one feature request for the mini map! :)

When I press M, can you have a blip appear on the map where I am? I always shake my mouse (to move my character) when the mini map is first opened to find myself on the map.

A blip that highlights where I am would ROCK.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • FrohmanFrohman Join Date: 2010-12-25 Member: 75933Members
    Congratulations super.

I'm still disappointed that the icon sets in general oppose the style of the map itself. The map has a glow, is simplified in design and uses a specific colour for each team.

Why not make the icons just that; simplified in design, have a glow and use the colour specific to the race they represent (a marine looking on the map will see his team as blue, standing out slightly due to brightness but not as much as the orange of the alien side, whilst the aliens see their team as orange, standing out slightly due to brightness, and they see the marine side as blue - which stands out strongly against the orange map). Makes more sense to me than opposing the design of the map with detailed, sharply outlined constructs with colours which don't work with the existing maps.

Oh well.
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    The mockup was... a mockup. No colours are final, because the icons are greyscale and will be coloured ingame via code. I don't honestly know what they will look like in regards to their colour, or how colourful they will be.
  • FrohmanFrohman Join Date: 2010-12-25 Member: 75933Members
    Oh, I wasn't aiming it at you super, more or less at all of the icons created and the colour scheme which was proposed.
  • SlejdySlejdy London Join Date: 2013-11-11 Member: 189285Members
    Hi guys, do you know if is possible to somehow mark my mate on a map ? I quite often play with my friend's I would appreciate if I can change their color on a map. It would be much more faster and easier to find them where are they at the moment. Any ideas ? Thanks
  • SlejdySlejdy London Join Date: 2013-11-11 Member: 189285Members
    Example how it could works. Same way as when you muting the another player. Just klick next to player and color would change, or over the console 9u6a.jpg
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter