Complainers

B1ackSmokeB1ackSmoke Join Date: 2011-01-25 Member: 78855Members
Who else is sick of people who never played ns1 buying the beta then coming in saying the game sucks. Do they not understand the word "BETA". Sheesh, this beta is meant to help the programmers through our feedback. not just say it sucks and leave until they fix it. More people need to start playing and suggesting things.

Comments

• OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    No offense man but this is beating a dead horse. These topics have been hashed out many times. Although I do agree with you. Most people are spoiled when they get access into BETA's because most of those closed/open BETA's are games made by big named companies. So they have 20-40 person teams working on the title and are backed by million dollar budgets.

Unknown worlds is what. 5-6 maybe 7 guys? They can only do so much in X amount of time. They also don't have a publisher backing them with a big budget so every move they make has to be done with careful consideration as Time equals money for them.

So far they are doing a wonderful job and I am satisfied with their level of updates and communication with the community.

Keep up the good work guys!
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    I'm sick of people who never realized or never tried to realize full potential of NS1

This thread is cool lets keep it.
  • Slickk-Slickk- Join Date: 2007-11-26 Member: 63019Members
    I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Every design decision a designer makes will disenfranchise someone so every thing UWE isn't going to be loved by all.

What DOES annoy me is when people use the anonymousness of the internet to be a ###### and just start shooting there mouth off at anyone with a conflicting opinion. Although on these forums i think i see maybe 1/20 comments/threads that are like that.

I'm not going to praise UWE here. They know they're awesome.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    edited January 2011
    I am not sick of it. In fact it is a great pleasure to help and educate other people. Unless you're a misanthropic loser.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1826882:date=Jan 25 2011, 12:38 PM:name=B1ackSmoke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (B1ackSmoke @ Jan 25 2011, 12:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826882"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Who else is sick of people who never played ns1 buying the beta then coming in saying the game sucks. Do they not understand the word "BETA". Sheesh, this beta is meant to help the programmers through our feedback. not just say it sucks and leave until they fix it. More people need to start playing and suggesting things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Stop complaining already djeez!
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I think I'm sick of internet forums in general. Anything valuable gets buried under tons of garbage. It also applies with these forums, no matter whether the valuable thought was grateful or critical.
  • moku9moku9 Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69265Members
    edited January 2011
    I've played ns from the beginning and would say what we have is far from "beta". The servers are rarely populated which speaks for; 1) the build to date is unplayable or 2) the game is in fact simply not fun to play (balance, two coms etc....). Or, of course, a combination of the two.

The logic applied by uw appears to be: Get something/anything out there to help generate funds in an effort to minimize the probability the project fails to generate sufficient early returns on investment (prevent insolvency). And, lets provide <u>paying </u>customers with a way to provide feedback so they <b>feel</b> a stronger attachment to the development process (loyalty).

Both are marketing gimmicks and the both have a long track record of success. Both are perfectly legal and related costs are nearly zero which is why we see them applied so frequently.

What is sowed is reaped. People read "beta" and create expectations of playability which are then unrealized which leads to complaints. People see the "community" boards, post their ideas and complaints and create expectations of changes being implemented which are then unrealized at a significant level which leads to complaints.

The complaining won't stop until ns2 is in an state that matches the players idea of "beta" and uw has the resources to devote to testing ideas separately from the official release and publishing the test results. Based on the current state, I'd say we shouldn't be holding our breath for any of this.
  • XuXuXuXu Join Date: 2011-01-01 Member: 76096Members, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1826899:date=Jan 25 2011, 11:38 AM:name=OPIE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OPIE @ Jan 25 2011, 11:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826899"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No offense man but this is beating a dead horse. These topics have been hashed out many times. Although I do agree with you. Most people are spoiled when they get access into BETA's because most of those closed/open BETA's are games made by big named companies. So they have 20-40 person teams working on the title and are backed by million dollar budgets.

Unknown worlds is what. 5-6 maybe 7 guys? They can only do so much in X amount of time. They also don't have a publisher backing them with a big budget so every move they make has to be done with careful consideration as Time equals money for them.

So far they are doing a wonderful job and I am satisfied with their level of updates and communication with the community.

Keep up the good work guys!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 !!!!!!!!!! :)
  • CamronCamron Join Date: 2011-01-06 Member: 76356Members
    People would be more understanding if they still called it "alpha".
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    The game should come together really quickly once the lag issues have been fixed. They have most of the game assets at least designed if not modeled and ready to implement.

I've also noticed that UWE is highly responsive to suggestions/constructive criticism on these forums. They regular implement changes proposed by the community.
  • meb2meb2 Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72824Members
    dont let the trolls get to u man

flayra ur game rules

max ur a rock star

cory ur art rulez

dux ur bad at ns

other guys i d k who u are but u rule

keep up da great work :thumbsup:
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    Just let it be. Some people can't be without complain about something.
    And to make things clear, AAA games have like 40 people working on 1 aspect of the game, like multiplayer Crysis 2. On UWE that is impossible.

Anyway, even being a tiny team they are working really fast, more if you think that we not only have the game made on it's own engine (thing that is amazing and done by 1 person), you also have all the applications needed to make mods, maps, debug LUA, etc. and all this is made by them too. And are so simple to use that even me can make a map. Unfortunately I deleted the map I started (on the first alpha) but was really easy to make.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1826985:date=Jan 25 2011, 01:18 PM:name=Camron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Camron @ Jan 25 2011, 01:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826985"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People would be more understanding if they still called it "alpha".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i agree. i wouldnt have called it beta till every intended feature was in the game (DI, Onos, Exo, etc) and all that was left was bug squashing.

to be honest... it still feels like an engine test to me.

I'm not complaining about the progress or work that UWE is doing, i just feel that they were a little misleading.
  • y3kflexoy3kflexo Join Date: 2003-04-04 Member: 15203Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1826975:date=Jan 25 2011, 11:10 AM:name=moku9)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (moku9 @ Jan 25 2011, 11:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826975"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The complaining won't stop.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fixed.

Let's face it, this here is the Internet. It doesn't matter how good the game is, in the end there will always be enough people out there who think it should be something different and will complain. They will complain the maps are to big. They will complain the maps are to small. They will complain the maps are too complex. They will complain the maps are to simple. I don't like this gun, I dont like they way that alien breaths.......my mouse is sticky........my left nut is ichy. They will complain.
  • MurderKingMurderKing Join Date: 2010-12-31 Member: 76066Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1826985:date=Jan 25 2011, 06:18 PM:name=Camron)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Camron @ Jan 25 2011, 06:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1826985"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People would be more understanding if they still called it "alpha".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, this is what beta really means.
    The "betas" you usually see these days, like on Fileplanet, are just called beta because the word beta signifies exclusive early access, when it really is just a demoversion of a game thats already gone gold, or will go gold in a matter of days. Slapping a beta sticker on your product will generate more interest then giving out demos.
    This has given a lot of people a twisted view of what a beta is supposed to be.
    A Beta should be missing features, unbalanced, full of bugs and at times totally broken.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Anyway part of the reason to switch to Beta was to get more orders which they need for development costs. Let's be realistic people!
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1827027:date=Jan 25 2011, 07:19 PM:name=MurderKing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurderKing @ Jan 25 2011, 07:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, this is what beta really means.
    The "betas" you usually see these days, like on Fileplanet, are just called beta because the word beta signifies exclusive early access, when it really is just a demoversion of a game thats already gone gold, or will go gold in a matter of days. Slapping a beta sticker on your product will generate more interest then giving out demos.
    A Beta should be missing features, unbalanced, full of bugs and at times totally broken.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    Thats only true for betas you can buy in, or get a free key almost everywhere on the net - closed invite only betas are usually like uwes beta.
    (Problem is ppl think if they buy something it must be almost gold and next to perfect / Ignoring that they buy it to support the devs and contributing/participate to the development process
    beta =/= beta)
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1827027:date=Jan 25 2011, 02:19 PM:name=MurderKing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurderKing @ Jan 25 2011, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, this is what beta really means.
    A Beta should be missing features, unbalanced, full of bugs and at times totally broken.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

then what is alpha? not much has changed between beta and alpha other then some minor bug fixes and a few added features. the game still play more or less the same for me.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited January 2011
    Really?! There was a huge change between alpha and late alpha/beta. In alpha, marines and aliens glitched around rooms, attacking each other for 5 minutes without landing a single hit, then after 2 minutes the server crashed - it was 'unplayable' in the REAL sense of the word, not "OMG 40fps I CANNOTS PLAY THIS!!" crap.

Fast forward 6 months and the game is much more stable, you can actually hit things pretty well, there are crags/whips/fades/shotguns/flamethrowers/grenade launchers, the maps have been improved. If you didnt notice much change you must have joined in the late stages of alpha or you're extremely unlucky and the game works unusually badly on ur system?
    Alphas usually stay inhouse.
  • mokkatmokkat Join Date: 2009-08-30 Member: 68652Members
    edited January 2011
    apart from NS1 lovers wanting the second game exactly like the first one, people complaining about this being a beta are well within their rights.

For all other companies (except of Notch hehe), the current state of the game would be considered alpha and would be handled strictly inhouse. People don't care what "beta" is supposed to mean when nowadays the norm is that 99% of publicly available betas mean "content done, need user feedback for little tweaks, game comes out soon".

Forexample, if a dude who wants a little time off from his usual CoD or something, sees cool Onos trailer and buys the game impulsively for its playable beta, I wouldnt blame him for being mad at it when he learns that the content is far from done, it has no deadline, the system requirements are crazy compared to the advertised + the damn Onos isnt even inthere.
    Such a guy would still help fund the game, but he will not play it or recommend it to his buddies, regardless of how good it might be now or in the future. This is why big companies do not allow unfinished products for the public.

I never played NS1 and I bought NS2 because of 1. NS2HD's cool videos, 2. from liking the gameplay and prospect of awesome innovation like DI, and 3. because I love supporting the small developers who actually need genuinely interested people to "invest" in them to succeed, and in turn listen to their community alot.
    Im not satisfied by the game at the moment, since it crashes while loading alot for me, runs like ###### on my C2D 8800gt computer in every setting, lacks a lot of content and maps, etc. But - Im confident that Charlie and co. will improve on it every week, and if I have any complaining to do, I will do it in the form of constructive criticism or suggestions like the majority of fine people on this forum.
    edited January 2011
    So youre saying, if enough people are wrong, they are in fact right? ;)
  • broadbandbroadband Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33013Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1827061:date=Jan 25 2011, 02:37 PM:name=mokkat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mokkat @ Jan 25 2011, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827061"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I never played NS1<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you should, it's fun.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1827061:date=Jan 25 2011, 09:37 PM:name=mokkat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mokkat @ Jan 25 2011, 09:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827061"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->stuff<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Stop explaining your reasons for buying NS2, get NS1 already.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1827033:date=Jan 25 2011, 01:28 PM:name=Dank McShwagger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dank McShwagger @ Jan 25 2011, 01:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->then what is alpha? not much has changed between beta and alpha other then some minor bug fixes and a few added features. the game still play more or less the same for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

not true at all. the alpha was like a dos game dude. when /disconnect was your only friend.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Complainers don't bother me.
    Sometimes they are just misinformed (by themselves)

I try to inform them and if that doesn't work...oh well.

NS2 has long to go.

That being said...
    The game to me is already fun ... but it obviously isn't for everyone or else the servers would be more full.
    (The current server crash bug doesn't help)
    Each patch has shown progress.

and I am a software engineer, so watching this is entertaining to me.
    this is how projects progress, from concepts (art in this case), to nothing (alpha was an engine test), to pieces being fixed one at a time.

They might have called it a beta too soon, but so what.
    When its finished it will be awesome.
  • jamieshepherdjamieshepherd Join Date: 2009-09-04 Member: 68693Members
    edited January 2011
    I hate people saying "UWE is a small studio EA is a big studio" like it would make the definition of a beta different. The size of a company does not determine how polished a beta should be. I think UWE even admitted that their game is only a beta by name but is still practically an alpha, just to generate sales. As for OP though, this has been dicussed in dozens of threads already, and to be honest, if I bought the game when it went beta rather than pre engine test, I would also be pissed with the state of the game right now.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1827027:date=Jan 25 2011, 02:19 PM:name=MurderKing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurderKing @ Jan 25 2011, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, this is what beta really means.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, it isn't.

Here's the key mistake:
    <!--quoteo(post=1827027:date=Jan 25 2011, 02:19 PM:name=MurderKing)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MurderKing @ Jan 25 2011, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827027"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A Beta <b>should be missing features</b>, unbalanced, full of bugs and at times totally broken.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is very rare; at the end of alpha the software is typically feature-complete and often a feature freeze is imposed that is only broken if there is a realization that a vital feature is missing.

There is another major exception to this, and that's open source software which tends to be in perpetual beta.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    Last time i was in a beta it had missing features, was unbalanced, full of bugs and at times totally broken.

A little addon from a little game called wow... its only 4-5 years old,with a few hundred devs. (wotlk addon)

Very rare - indeed Oo. (it was the same in tbc beta time a year befor)

It only depends what beta means for the devs, and not what it means for "average i know everything better joe"

If devs want to show a beta that next to gold status - so let them.
    If devs want to show a beta to get real feedback for the developing process - so let them.

But its false to say a beta needs to be either of that. It is what devs want.