Do you like rockdown?

PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
<div class="IPBDescription">i did!</div>if the map size would be increase a bit, i realy enjoy the map, but the team of unknown worlds entertainment said its just a testmap and will be removed in the final.
What do you think?
I think of all the 3 maps, i like rockdown very much, sure a bit to tiny but that can be increased i guess.
What do you think?
The final will have 3 maps, tram, junction and mining (i guess).
I like Rockdown more then tram or junction...

Comments

• cH40z-LordcH40z-Lord Join Date: 2009-07-26 Member: 68269Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I really really love Rockdown and it would be very sad if they remove =/

Hopefully someone from the beta saves it so we can add it again as custom map <3
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    no there will be more than 3 maps in the final.

Rockdown is fine for what it is. Tram is kind of boring and has an empty feeling :/
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited January 2011
    i found the testmap quote
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Most people on the forums have heard me say this a hundred times already, <b>but Rockdown is just a TEST map</b>, was never meant for full NS2 gameplay, and is far far smaller then the other official maps in the works. It will be removed at some point during the beta stage, as the gameplay really doesn't work as intended. Tram is the only official map, is also one of the smallest, and is still being revised and improved.

As far as variety goes, there will be plenty of variety between the official maps. For release we are focusing on just a Refinery art set theme (later there will be other very different themes such as Biodome), so there's bound to be a lot of visual similarities between the maps, but that said, we are really striving to have very different themes and plenty of unique props and landmarks for each of those maps. There is a mining map, that makes heavy use of the rock walls and cave look, has unique specific props like giant drills, and rock crushing machines. There is a refining map, which will have lots of flowing lava, a lot of red/orange lighting, and lots of unique props. Then there is a Docking map, which is also very large, has some outdoor areas, and lots of worker living/ leisure type areas, like a bar, cafeteria, locker room, ball court. All of these have a lot of unique props and textures that have not been publically released yet, that were created specifically for these maps to help make them stand out from one another. So NS2 maps should not be judged by Rockdown, which was the first map ever created, had no unique props made for it, and no real design effort to make each area stand out from others, as it was built quickly with limited assets to just get something we could run around on for testing purposes.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So it will maybe not removed...if the gameplay really work as intended
  • L34DL34D Join Date: 2007-12-28 Member: 63280Members
    hiho,
    rockdown is my favorite map right now. There are so many details. I don´t know why UWE want to delete this map. They should modify rockdown a bit, add some rooms and make rockdown bigger.

This would be a great idea for a community contest. Modify rockdown for UWE. The best map wins and gets included in natural selection 2.

So UWE has no stress with modify rockdown.

It would be really sad if rockdown gets deleted. The mapper who build this map done a great job for "nothing" at all. :D
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    Rockdown is missing a couple of things, like a powernode in the hiveroom. Furthermore as the game is now if the aliens have a commander from start of the game who is half decent marines will not be able to get a 2nd cc (except when I'm marine commander but thats another story lol).
    And it has allot of leaks, fades blink trough the map occasionally. Then again as it is currently you have to be a pretty dumb commander to lose in ns_tram, aliens can't prevent a decent commander from getting a 2nd cc.

That aside, I do like rockdown, because of it's narrow corridors and fast action, and because its currently the only map where the majority of the games are won by aliens (and I do love those lil buggas).
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1822659:date=Jan 8 2011, 01:57 PM:name=L34D)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (L34D @ Jan 8 2011, 01:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1822659"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This would be a great idea for a community contest. Modify rockdown for UWE. The best map wins and gets included in natural selection 2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Great idea, seriously!
    "The Prize" is your rockdown "modified" map will be used, sounds not big but it is, your changes will be official.
    Or at all a "custom map" contest, for next releases.
    Isn't it a big win if your custom map will be in the game?
    Maybe UWE give the winner of the contest a free copy/key or something.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Rockdown is okay and all, but it lacks alot of dynamic gameplay for the commanders, since its just a reverse tug-o-war basically.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    It doesn't even have doors. And it's too small to just add them. If you added doors to rockdown the marine commander could simply cut off most of the map until aliens get onos, which they might not even be able to. And if you change rockdown to the point where doors made sense on that map, it wouldn't be rockdown any more.

If at all then keep rockdown for those looking forward to a community made combat mod.
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    Rockdown is just to small. I don't really think that how matches work on rockdown is how the devs want the game to work. Basically (although they are fun!) matches on rockdown are down to two or three tactics per faction. After some matches the map becomes highly repetetive (at least until now)

I think why people prefer rockdown is because the others are unplayable for many testers and also they need some finetuning which can only be possible when NS2 is (or is nearly) feature complete. Until then rockdown is our best (and almost only) chance to play NS2. So in this regard: yes, it is the best map indeed ;)

/IMHO
  • RUben1RUben1 Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75246Members
    I like rockdown (even more then tram), mainly because marines have to fight to get multiple comm stations and get pier 2. With some optimization it would be a good map, even for retail.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1822649:date=Jan 8 2011, 12:36 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Jan 8 2011, 12:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1822649"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think of all the 3 maps, i like rockdown very much, sure a bit to tiny but that can be increased i guess.
    The final will have 3 maps, tram, junction and mining (i guess).
    I like Rockdown more then tram or junction...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Junction is also a test map, and definitely not one of the final maps that are going to be released. Its had even less retrofitting done to it then Rockdown, in order to make it play better.

Our hope is still to have at least 4 maps on release, and that doesn't include Rockdown and Junction.

If Rockdown was enlarged and improved to work better for NS2 gameplay by someone in the community, we'd certainly consider including it, but we aren't plannining spending our time to rebuild and rework it. I think one of the reasons people enjoy it, is that it is very combat intensive, due to its small size, and it works for smaller numbers of players, since performance currently does not allow for 32 player servers. With that in mind we began work a little while back on a map that is somewhere in between the size of rockdown and tram. Unlike Rockdown, however, this new map will have more variety and complexity in its layout, it will have doors, rooms large enough to properly house techpoints, and a little more visual variety. Our hope is that we can end up with maps that can support different numbers of players and gaming experiences. So, for long, epic 32 player games Mineshaft will probably be the map to play on. But for people who want to jump in and play with 6-10 people, in a more fast paced combat oriented game, then they would choose the new map under development.

--Cory
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I like rockdown, but I agree it doesnt fit classic. I think that it (or maybe a modification of it).
    I think it would be awesome in a combat gamemode though, if they ever make one (or include one made by community).
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    edited January 2011
    I like rockdown because it plays ok with small teams (5v5 or 6v6) and thus lends itself to nice playing around games with less lag (mostly just messing around). However, I'm going to be all over the 32 player epic servers once the optimization allows it.

[edit: .... and the maps are out. Very Important]
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    The shape of rockdown, bar twists and turns (and one or two vents) is a <i>circle</i>. It's no good as a proper play map.