Jumping Air Control - Intended Behavior or Bug?

zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
The other thread about this got locked before we got an official response, so I'm going to reword the question to make absolutely clear it's got <u>nothing to do with bhopping.</u>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Its kind of unnerving to be able to change directions mid air as a marine, and counter intuitive to what I'm used to in FPS games.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Is this kind of player movement (changing directions in midair) intended behavior or just WIP with changes coming down the pipe?

Comments

• NoOtherDestinyNoOtherDestiny Join Date: 2003-07-31 Member: 18627Members
    I hope it isn't intended, that may actually be why I find it hard to attack marines jumping around in circles.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    i guess we already have jetpacks ...

actually, i didnt notice this so may have been exploiting unintentionally. sorry.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    Yep, I didn't saw it too. I think it should not be allowed to change direction in mid air.
    As far as I played on the beta every time I jump and move to the side I keep moving on the original direction until I hit ground, and if I jump at that same time I do move in the other direction. But I never saw someone changing direction in mid air.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1821835:date=Jan 6 2011, 12:22 AM:name=NoOtherDestiny)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NoOtherDestiny @ Jan 6 2011, 12:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1821835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope it isn't intended, that may actually be why I find it hard to attack marines jumping around in circles.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually its hard to hit even if the marines just circles strafes you , least I found many a Fade struggle to land a blow on me while I was circle strafing... dont need the jumping.

I dont hop around much so I havent noticed , I usually time my jump for the last second rather than hop around like a deranged bunny rabbit on speed :P
    I'll have a look myself now I am curious :P
  • maessemaesse Join Date: 2010-04-08 Member: 71213Members
    I'd love to see/try GoldSrc or QW style movement code. Maybe (most likely) it's just because it's what I've grown up with, but I think these old games really nailed that tight "FPS feel", where it really felt like "you" were jumping around doing all that crazy stuff. It leads to some really deep immersion. TF2 feels a bit too smoothed out, but overall it's a good compromise, seeing at not everybody enjoys the same amount of "twitchyness".

TBH one of the first things I noticed when I fired up NS2 for the first time, was the crazy air control - but I did shrug it off as something the devs probably knew, but were just not going to spent time on at that stage, and I would agree with that sentiment. I think NS2 is far enough to start nitpicking about these things now, though.
  • PSAPSA Join Date: 2009-10-21 Member: 69107Members
    Oh god. I didn't notice my thread got locked (and fast). No idea that mentioning that-which-must-not-be-named would spur such a debate. I guess I got baited though, in hindsight.

Anyways, yes, +1 to I hope its on the list to get tweaked/changed. Its rather counter-intuitive to be able to hover in any direction mid air, on purpose or (usually in my case) on accident. I can understand the wasd keys slowing/stopping momentum in mid air (after a directional jump for example) but wiggling around in air, or jumping straight up and then hovering forwards is just silly.

Like I said before though, I have faith and am patient. I guess I just assumed this was something more hard-coded into the engine/gameplay by beta.