So will this always be the excuse for losing?

2»

Comments

• FrontlinerDeltaFrontlinerDelta Join Date: 2010-12-24 Member: 75924Members
    I don't get perfect framerate like NS2HD but it is by no means unplayable for me either. Even when I built my hydras, game would stutter like maybe once every minute or so, which is no more than it does normally for me.

I run on a 2.4 Ghz Quad-core and a 240m, so nothing super computer about it, it's a laptop.
  • MOOtantMOOtant Join Date: 2010-06-25 Member: 72158Members
    And I just came from the server seeing guy with 5870 saying that he has 15 FPS. It's CPU-bound, learn it already. :P In other words: GRAPHICS CARD DOES NOT MATTER (unless it's really bad).

It's not really about hardware most of the time. People play on servers where other people are. These are either slow or allow 200 hydras or have far too optimistic player limits or hell knows what else. All of this at once round after round leaves really bad taste.

Maybe NS2HD is lucky to have some special threading configuration that makes sim thread (physx/havok/lua gc) not slow down that much. I don't know what else. That's certainly not representative sample.
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    i dont think the sentries were meant to be so spammable that they should actually have 2-3 sentries covering each sentry so that skulks and fades cant think about blinking behind and breaking them, same deal with hydras, they wernt meant to be like 20 of them in one spot insta gibbing a marine who runs around the corner, make them more expensive and bulkier and the lag should slow down abit for the moment

(THIS IS pretty much a temporary fix)
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1820693:date=Jan 1 2011, 02:55 PM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Jan 1 2011, 02:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820693"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or each hydra cost a fraction of the last... infinite hydra for finite moneez! D:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Heh.

But yeah, double the res cost per new hydra/sentry per player. That would provide the 'cap' but it would be a soft cap, rather than a hard cap.
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    I just find that there's a problem with gaining plasma. Its not normal that you have 200 unused resources. Some fine tuning is needed with resources and the way they are spent. There has already been some fixes with that over the previous builds so I'm confident things will be tighter in the future. Resources shouldn't be in abundance, they should be limited. This give more pressure in the choices you make. I confident that in future builds spending resources will be more of a concern and you will have to think about spamming plasma into hydras or spending them on something else. At the moment I feel there is not much you can do with those resources but spam hydras/turrets if you're not a commander.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I'm sure we'll see some more fine tune when it comes to resources, especially plasma. Currently it builds up too fast in mid and late game. There also needs to be some cap on how much plasma you can have I think.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1820965:date=Jan 3 2011, 02:33 AM:name=Evil_bOb1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Evil_bOb1 @ Jan 3 2011, 02:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1820965"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some fine tuning is needed with resources and the way they are spent. ... Resources shouldn't be in abundance, they should be limited. This give more pressure in the choices you make.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This. It's about opportunity cost. There's no opportunity cost if you have an overabundance of resources.
  • NoOtherDestinyNoOtherDestiny Join Date: 2003-07-31 Member: 18627Members
    I've joined a server with full teams that started a new match (14 players). We had a load of turrets, I'm talking 15-20 around the place, with only a slight increase in ping. We got pushed back to base and the aliens decided to spam Hydras in our exits from base. My ping went from 200 up to 400 once that was done. We'd actually lost some turrets in that process to. So I believe it is definitely Hydras causing most of the lag, with turrets providing minimal. I've seen it happen many times before, though I don't always notice till I tab and see my ping through the roof.

There are still a lot of problems with the game, especially with performance and balance. We will have to wait and see if they can fix it, or if changes made to other things will resolve it.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Hydras are better, but they still cause lag. The optimization has just increased the number of hydras required before they start lagging the server. Also, I suspect its not just the total number, but the density of hydras that are causing the problem. As the op stated, you can drop 10+ hydras in the same room very quickly.

If someone is being a troll by spamming sentries/hydras, the solution isn't to spam sentries/hydras yourself.