Welders?

LepockLepock Join Date: 2010-03-24 Member: 71067Members
Did a search, doesn't seem to be much on them. So are they still in?

-Do people want them in?
-Will they let marines build faster?
-Will they let marines repair power nodes?
-Will they destroy dynamic infestation?
-Will they do more/different damage than the axe?

Opinions?

Comments

• HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2010
    I think if we let them have the welder and any of those, it would make the MAC even more limited a role. From the only builder, to strong (fast build) base-goon and node repairer, to weak (slow build) base-goon and node repairer, to just weak base-goon.
    Honestly, I think MACs should have the same build speed as marines (not more, not less), 'cause then they'd effectively be a marine without damage, and to counter that, repair abilities - and that's ideal.
    The only suitable options for a potential welder for the moment are early-game DI clearing (before flamethrowers, and much weaker), armour repair (unless this also becomes the MAC's role) and maybe electrification (unless this also becomes the MAC's role). Welding doors and such is already the commander's job. Close range structure damage would be interesting, though - the ax doesn't seem well-suited to the role. So that's actually not a bad lot of options, really - assuming the MAC doesn't take those two roles.

You should also have a read through the discussion on power nodes, as it talks about marines being able to repair power nodes (which I think is a bad idea - but we've offered up alternative ideas).
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    the mac is kinda pointless anyways. it should stay in base as aid for the commander so the marines can operate outside of the base so they dont have to wipe the commanders butt for every little build/repair order inside the base. in the field marines should have a welder to repair nodes and buildings. also the welder should do some damage to DI on doors, or enable marines to weld them shut AFTER the commander has given the order to do so, otherwise peoples will start randomly welding stuff. maybe door welding isnt such a good idea after all. giving the commander the door locking ability should be enough maybe aliens could break doors if they dont get welded.
    mhhh... i dont know.. but macs realy feel silly the way they are now.
  • LepockLepock Join Date: 2010-03-24 Member: 71067Members
    As everything is open to change, once welders are put in, you could remove the marine's base ability to build and only allow it with welders, or make marine base build speed very slow. In relation to power nodes, the suggestions provided in the other thread don't rule out welders, it all depends on how you implement things.

Also remember the welder could be expensive (if it becomes too useful) and it either replaces your pistol or your axe, which have their own purposes. I think there are still a lot of potential uses for welders, not necessarily everything at once though.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I think the general forum sentiment, is that people really do want to E-build, so you couldn't just remove that ability (nor could you make marine base build speed slower than MAC's, as they already tried that but went back) and have it replaced with a welder. Also, in that case marines wouldn't be able to assist in the early game construction of the base.

You could limit its uses to certain types of support (armour repair, electrification) and maybe structure damage superior to the ax but inferior to GLs and flamers, and maybe early-game DI clearing inferior to flamers. Structure and node repair should remain the domain of MACs though.
  • AssassinGTAssassinGT Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7498Members
    I think honestly, my ham fisted approach would be to just give everything out first then balance it. I would prefer to have welders back in to replace the pistol or something. It would definitely give you a feel of more variety and to me is very important. I feel like having more options on your load out can be great fun and even if there are MAC's; I'm not really bothered by it at all. Hell maybe we could use welders to<b> seal doors</b>, ie Alien Swarm style?
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    I don't think welders are planned in the game, and I don't want to see them either. We have the MAC, and I think we need to make use of him more and explore different opportunities with him before reverting back to an NS1 style welder. I really, really want to see new, better things with this game. I do not want to see this game start reverting back to NS1 with a graphical overhaul.
  • CymenCymen Join Date: 2010-12-10 Member: 75593Members
    edited December 2010
    welders would render the MAC completely obsolete. I would rather have the MACs be more important again by making them necessary to place buildings. You would still need marines to build them fast enough, of course. Just an idea....
  • nervcorenervcore Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75291Members
    make the welding for marines inferior to mac's welding. also marines wont be able to repair nodes. just buildings and/or armor to a certain percentage.