Secondary fire for the shotgun

louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
<div class="IPBDescription">this is cool</div>when you right click with the shotgun instead of releasing one shell out and blasting it into a aliens ass and sending it to heaven.

you can spend two shells for a double damage shot, which has twice as much power and twice as much recoil.

the consequence of this alternate fire is that it takes time to pull yourself together after you just unleased this badass

so the current shot from the shotgun consists of a aproximately one second interval between shots.

if you decide to shoot with twice the power using two shells instead of one you will have a two and a half second interval between shots.

whos in? i think rifle butt is getting a little old for this awesome gun =)

Comments

• HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited December 2010
    Hey bro, I have an idea. Put "whos in?" in your forum signature so you don't have to type it in every time.

Ironically, long ago I also had the same idea as this. I suggested a double barrelled shotgun, and the barrels would alternate when you fire (so a very high firing rate), but with alt-fire you would fire both barrels at once for double the pellets, and of course the firing rate would be halved.

I don't know how you'd expect to spend two shots from a single barrel design though.
  • louis cardinallouis cardinal Join Date: 2010-12-14 Member: 75664Members
    well... what other kinds of alternate fire are there or shall the shotgun model be morphed into having two barrels?

second of all i dont add that to my signiture because sometimes instead of whos in i say what do you think or got any ideas

and plus im gonna do it again... ohhh yess..

what do you think? (lol)
  • Wyattx3Wyattx3 Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18386Members
    I'd rather the shotgun get the whack rather than the LMG
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Actually, if you would've searched, you would find threads both regarding weaponbalancing in general, and shotgun alternate fire threads.

I remember one of the suggestions (by FocusedWolf i think) was to alternate the barrel length, giving i tighter spread of the pellets.
  • MazzaMazza Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75194Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Iron sights so the shotgun can become a super sniper shotgun. (It's got a ring to it!)

Wild suggestion but perhaps change the firing modes for the shotgun? Similar to the pistol.
    First mode would be the traditional ###### and shoot.
    The second mode could be full-auto but obviously with some kind of drawbacks.
    LMAFO full auto shotty? can you imagine a entire squad with that?

obviously this is balanced...
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819243:date=Dec 25 2010, 07:38 AM:name=Wyattx3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wyattx3 @ Dec 25 2010, 07:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819243"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd rather the shotgun get the whack rather than the LMG<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why would you want a melee attack for a weapon that deals more damage the closer you are? It makes no sense.
    how about... when you use the right click alternate fire will be changing from using shells to slugs (lol)

then every time you shoot a thick heavy high damaging slug will pop out.

OR

we go with the double barrel idea? model will need to be changed in the front for two barrels.
    I said it was a wild suggestion.
    I also mentioned that there would be major disadvantages. Some could be massive recoil, less damage, bigger and more inaccurate spread.

Not a fan of the double barrel idea as you can drop a fade down with possibly one shot with it.
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1819263:date=Dec 25 2010, 03:21 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Dec 25 2010, 03:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819263"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would you want a melee attack for a weapon that deals more damage the closer you are? It makes no sense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sure, it makes sense: because they aren't directly related. What you mean is that he didn't think it through.

Alternating barrel lengths for different spreads sounds interesting. Does that actually make sense though? Isn't the spread based on the structure of the shell?*
    It's either that or double barrel.
    Not a fan of fully-auto, and especially not a fan of recoil (muzzle climb or backwards momentum) for NS2.

*<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The shot pellets from a shotgun spread upon leaving the barrel, and the power of the burning charge is divided among the pellets, which means that the energy of any one ball of shot is fairly low. In a hunting context, this makes shotguns useful primarily for hunting birds and other small game. However, in a military or law enforcement context, the large number of projectiles makes the shotgun useful as a close quarters combat weapon or a defensive weapon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not really a direct answer though.
    <a href="http://www.shotgun-insight.com/PatternOptimiser.html" target="_blank">This is interesting</a> but not exactly related (turned up in a search for the mechanics of pellet spread).
  • FrohmanFrohman Join Date: 2010-12-25 Member: 75933Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1819307:date=Dec 25 2010, 05:19 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Dec 25 2010, 05:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819307"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alternating barrel lengths for different spreads sounds interesting. Does that actually make sense though? Isn't the spread based on the structure of the shell?*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Choke the barrel.

(http://www.examiner.com/hunting-in-fort-worth/a-brief-look-at-shotgun-chokes)
  • VengZVengZ Join Date: 2009-12-10 Member: 69556Members
    Flares for alt-fire! xD
    Could be handy against aliens in vents or when the light goes down ;D
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    edited December 2010
    1 Shot on Skulk : Insta-Kill
    2 Shots: OP

I propose secondary fire shoots a flare which lights up darkened areas.
    This is actually okay and useful,
    Instead of game-breaking and incredibly OP.
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    for alt fire, it should be something truly alternate, as of right now the pistol is supposed to be ,fast firing innacurate, slow firing accurate, MG is steady and fairly accurate versatile damage, short, low damage per second but high burst damage close ranged attack. shotgun needs something alternate to the normal shot, or unique to go with it. it also seems like it should be the weapon to counter the fade, so why not make its alt fire something that helps fight the fade? i donno maybe a shot that has a poison effect or something that increases the energy cost of abilties by 200% but does 0 damage. i know fallout:new vegas did something similar, beanbag shots caused fatigue damage instead of normal damage, but obviously a bean bag aint gonna stop a fade. tbh i dont know
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1819260:date=Dec 25 2010, 02:14 AM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Dec 25 2010, 02:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819260"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually, if you would've searched, you would find threads both regarding weaponbalancing in general, and shotgun alternate fire threads.

I remember one of the suggestions (by FocusedWolf i think) was to alternate the barrel length, giving i tighter spread of the pellets.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I probably said something about a constriction that changed... an extending-barrel shotgun would just look weird imo lol.

Anyway a full auto alt fire would probably be more interesting :P

<!--quoteo(post=1819262:date=Dec 25 2010, 02:18 AM:name=louis cardinal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (louis cardinal @ Dec 25 2010, 02:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819262"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LMAFO full auto shotty? can you imagine a entire squad with that?

obviously this is balanced...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's only 8 shots and a slow reload. Imagine a squad where everyone fired off all there shots and are now defenseless while a skulk leisurely picks them off... or 1 lerk and its super spam gas cannon and silenced auto-sniper could probably push the entire marine team all the way back to marine start. Obviously <b>this</b> is balanced... :P
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    We need missiles, ######ken homing missiles...
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819381:date=Dec 25 2010, 11:33 AM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Dec 25 2010, 11:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819381"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We need missiles, ######ken homing missiles...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    a pump action shotgun converting to a full auto shotgun at the touch of a button? what would be the point of using it as pump action mode then? you would just leave it in full auto mode and single click for single shot, then hold for full auto.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1819093:date=Dec 24 2010, 02:45 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Dec 24 2010, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819093"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know how you'd expect to spend two shots from a single barrel design though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nanites.

I don't really like this for the alt-fire of the shotgun, though. Makes them one shot lerks and gorges right? Melee is supposed to be the Alien thing.
    LOL I HAVE THE BEST IDEA EVER. GUYS SUPPORT THIS>

the alternate fire of the shotgun... fires a net that can ensnare enemy aliens.

each shotgun will have a maxium of one net per shotgun and can be restocked at the armory.

this net will travel around a medium range maximum, when it comes into contact with a alien it wraps around it and makes it unable to move for like two seconds, and it can break free by moving just like the web was broken in ns1.

not sure if there needs to be a display of this munition in the shotgun IF this was to be implemented but its possible.

what do you think about this>
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1819476:date=Dec 26 2010, 02:58 AM:name=louis cardinal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (louis cardinal @ Dec 26 2010, 02:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819476"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ensnare enemy aliens.

what do you think about this><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    .... That's a bad idea, I'm not going to lie.
    then what the hell does nanites mean, how does that make sense.

is that better? goddam which one then...
    <!--quoteo(post=1819491:date=Dec 26 2010, 11:55 PM:name=louis cardinal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (louis cardinal @ Dec 26 2010, 11:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1819491"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->then what the hell does nanites mean, how does that make sense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nanites are one of the reasons why this game doesn't need iron sights! :P

But he is right about your 'net' idea.

The flare idea is neat but might make the flashlight redundant.
    what do you mean about nanites, what do you mean about small microscopic robots?

what are you TALKING ABOUT ROFL?
    Nanites, man. Nanites. Get with it.
    is anyone here more helpful that Harimau? im not sure if he was as comprehensive and detailed enough than someone else?

he must have a PHD degree
    edited December 2010
    PhD in nanites, man. Got it through nanites. Xzibit was all like, "Yo dawg I heard you like nanites so we put nanites in your nanites so you can nanite while you nanite."
    yet again the intellegent Harimau posts more comprehensive knowledge.

can anyone out-smart him?

staying on topic unlike someone:

describe the function of nanites with the shotgun, what did you mean yourbonesakin
    edited December 2010
    It's an inside joke, a running gag, a meme. You wouldn't get it.*
    *Nanites, that is.

Nanites.
    you dont even answer my question, the question is for the person that stated it in the first place, im asking what he meant by it.

im not sure if you noticed but... this topic is about the shotgun?

staying on topic, doesnt anyone else have any ideas on what could be done for the shotgun's alternate fire?