Humble Bundle Take #2

NeonSpyderNeonSpyder "Das est NTLDR?" Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Awesome!</div>Humble bundle bazumble!

Get yer' five awesome indie games on any platform ye' like fer as much or as little as ye' wanna give!

Get it <a href="http://www.humblebundle.com/" target="_blank">here</a>.

Awesome or <i>so</i> awesome, amirite?

I only wish I could give more.

Comments

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    I've bought it 5 times for 1$. Makes a super cheap Christmas present.
    They deserve more than a dollar, but I'm broke.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I bought it for Cortex Command, which was awesome but unfinished about a year ago. Now it's just awesome.

--Scythe--
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1816076:date=Dec 15 2010, 06:22 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Dec 15 2010, 06:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816076"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bought it for Cortex Command, which was awesome but unfinished about a year ago. Now it's just awesome.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's still totally unfinished though! I mean yeah, when I loaded it up and started playing I was like "holy crap this is such an awesome game!" but then I realized that while it's an awesome concept and execution the content and 'game' part of it is lacking. Unless I'm playing it totally wrong, but I can see an amazing game in there that I just want to be developed so I can play it! (Like base building/mining for a reason and multiplayer and etc.)

Braid is a great game of course but I already bought it, heh.

I played the demo of Machinarium but thought $20 was a bit much for an (admittedly pretty neat puzzle game). I'm just about to start playing it and I foresee fun times ahead.

Titans is fun, it's a pretty well done tower defence kind of game but there's a lot more to it then that, it's got:

1. Accumulating and persistent wealth/research. If you suck and scrape by each level with half your base blowing up each time it's going to stay being hard.
    2. The research thing I mentioned already is really neat, persistent upgrades to your towers, unlocking new towers... well, I shouldn't say 'towers' because there's refineries and multiplier modules and stuff.
    3. Collectible superpowers that make your base invulnerable or super-high-damage dealing, (quite a few of these things actually, I'm looking forward to finding more of them... even though I played for about two hours straight I only got a third of the way through seeing all the powerups but admittedly I'm 70% through the tech tree too.
    4. It's fun! (and holycrap cheap)

I've already got Osmos too, hmm, but it's a fun little thing but feels a lot like a really well done flashgame or something rather then a fully fleshed out game, but nice and fun and cheap.

It's very worth it for Machinarium and Titans alone, but I'm REALLY going to keep my eye on Cortex Command because I just love the concept and what I think the gameplay is/ is going to be.
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    Bought it for a dollar, mostly because the Steam sales are wringing me dry. Titans is <i>rad</i>.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited December 2010
    I was just about to make a thread about the first Humble Bundle due to it hitting steam a few days ago, but I'll keep it here then. Definitively getting this one as well if not only for Machinerium which I've oogled a while.

Did anyone play "Lugaru HD*" (*not very HD)? The one with fighting rabbits and wolves in a 1995ish made graphics? It's all sorts of hilarious in it's own way and hard as hell when wolves are introduced. Got any good tips how to actually fight wolves in a fair fight? The best I can do is reverse but it only works 70-80% of the time and they can get you down with only two strong hits (also permanent damage u cant recover from, now fight 3 wolves at once :/). Lame ways include spamming legcannon until it connects and jumping around cliffs, rolling in the air over their head (this makes them confused and defenseless for a second) until I get near enough to their back to shank them to death in one hit. However that only works if you have a weapon.
  • NeonSpyderNeonSpyder &quot;Das est NTLDR?&quot; Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17913Members
    Hmm well I got Lagura HD in the last humble bundle but I uh.. never got around to playing it.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    I'm not surprised, It's all kinds of off-putting before you get the hang of the controls. I'm mysteriously drawn to finish the challenges though.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1816103:date=Dec 15 2010, 05:32 AM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Dec 15 2010, 05:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816103"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was just about to make a thread about the first Humble Bundle due to it hitting steam a few days ago, but I'll keep it here then. Definitively getting this one as well if not only for Machinerium which I've oogled a while.

Did anyone play "Lugaru HD*" (*not very HD)? The one with fighting rabbits and wolves in a 1995ish made graphics? It's all sorts of hilarious in it's own way and hard as hell when wolves are introduced. Got any good tips how to actually fight wolves in a fair fight? The best I can do is reverse but it only works 70-80% of the time and they can get you down with only two strong hits (also permanent damage u cant recover from, now fight 3 wolves at once :/). Lame ways include spamming legcannon until it connects and jumping around cliffs, rolling in the air over their head (this makes them confused and defenseless for a second) until I get near enough to their back to shank them to death in one hit. However that only works if you have a weapon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I enjoyed that game a lot. It definitely was a challenge though.

I think I used sneaky tactics to take out some of the wolves, and then it was a combo of luck + throwing knives + more luck.

You basically have to play perfectly, though if you use a blade to inflict the damage its going to be a lot easier because of the permanent damage thing.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    I was awful at Luguru, couldn't kill more than the first enemy. You need crazy split second reflexes or something.

As for this bundle, I have 3 of the 5 games already, but if people actually have good things to say about Titans and Cortex Command, perhaps I will shell out
    That was the worst part Psyke, you could not sneak up on wolves. They detected you when you got within 5m or so, regardless of angle of approach. Throwing knives seems like a good idea but I could never be arsed to run after it after the first throw when it wobbled away into the horizon.

I'm going to check youtube if anyone actually have the reflexes to react to different attacks and not just guess them. I found it impossible personally.
    <!--quoteo(post=1816205:date=Dec 15 2010, 01:57 PM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Dec 15 2010, 01:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816205"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was awful at Luguru, couldn't kill more than the first enemy. You need crazy split second reflexes or something.

As for this bundle, I have 3 of the 5 games already, but if people actually have good things to say about Titans and Cortex Command, perhaps I will shell out<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's funny, because you could buy the games for like a dollar or something.

But Cortex Command and Titans are worth looking at, Titans in particular seems worth $5-$10 depending on how much longer the game goes for (haven't beat it yet) or maybe more depending on your preferences, but I'd buy it for that.

Machinarium is awesome if you're a fan of old fashioned point and click puzzle adventures, holy crap it's exactly that.

Cortex Command is a little bit like minecraft or dwarf fortress in that it's a really neat game but it's in development and looks like it would take a fair bit of practice to figure out how to play right.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    This distracted me from NS and now I bought it

games look sweet

happy to support developers
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I bougth them for $15, because I'm a mean ######(and already own osmos), but apparently not as mean as most PC gamers.

6 dollars and 13 cents? <b>6 dollars and 13 cents!?!</b> Oh, average PC user, show those smug average MAC and average Linux users where it's at!
  • ThiefThief Ownage Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19214Members, Constellation
    $5 here. Plan to install them on a couple work machines for our lunch breaks. Just got C&C Tiberian Sun & TS:Firestorm (recently released as abandonware/freeware) on them too, with online play that has active lobbies and works flawlessly...somehow. Looking for some more ideas on low-spec-req games, pref freeware and coop/dm games would be nice.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1816363:date=Dec 16 2010, 07:40 AM:name=That_Annoying_Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (That_Annoying_Kid @ Dec 16 2010, 07:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816363"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->happy to support developers<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you're that happy, buy them at their full price :p

I kid. Awesome pack once again this year.
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited December 2010
    I bought it for $12, just so I could spite Child's Play by once again not giving a single penny to it.

###### kids, ###### <i>sick</i> kids, and ###### giving sick kids free ###### that isn't going to help them live anyway.

'tis the season after all.
    <!--quoteo(post=1816212:date=Dec 15 2010, 10:32 AM:name=Svenpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Svenpa @ Dec 15 2010, 10:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816212"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That was the worst part Psyke, you could not sneak up on wolves. They detected you when you got within 5m or so, regardless of angle of approach. Throwing knives seems like a good idea but I could never be arsed to run after it after the first throw when it wobbled away into the horizon.

I'm going to check youtube if anyone actually have the reflexes to react to different attacks and not just guess them. I found it impossible personally.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It was tough, but I wouldn't say I found it impossible. It was like the same reaction time as fighting games for reversals. While I was playing there was definitely a degree of error I had, which is why I used the throwing knife so much on the Wolves. They were just too tough to reliably take out any other way. Without the knife I would smack them a couple times but by the time I got back in to do more damage they would have regened from the last damage. Knife didn't have that problem.

Also the reversals were absolutely key for fighting guys with weapons because when you do one you steal their weapon... and again one of the key points in this game... the reason wolves are so deadly... is because of how strong weapons are compared with your fists. Just unfortunate that you can't steal a wolf's weapon since it is part of their paw.
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1816753:date=Dec 17 2010, 04:22 PM:name=Psyke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Psyke @ Dec 17 2010, 04:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816753"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It was tough, but I wouldn't say I found it impossible. It was like the same reaction time as fighting games for reversals. While I was playing there was definitely a degree of error I had, which is why I used the throwing knife so much on the Wolves. They were just too tough to reliably take out any other way. Without the knife I would smack them a couple times but by the time I got back in to do more damage they would have regened from the last damage. Knife didn't have that problem.

Also the reversals were absolutely key for fighting guys with weapons because when you do one you steal their weapon... and again one of the key points in this game... the reason wolves are so deadly... is because of how strong weapons are compared with your fists. Just unfortunate that you can't steal a wolf's weapon since it is part of their paw.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just beat all the challenges, the last one being (as you might know) vs 3 wolves (you can aggro just one as usual) and they all oneshotted you with any of their strong/claw attacks. My final tactic for beating it?
    I aggroed all 3 of them while in bunnysprint mode, then I circled them so they ran next to each other. After that I went for the hills and rolled in the air until all 3 became stationary confused next to each other and legcannoned the first one into the other two, BAM, one down two hurt. Problem with this is, if they are hurt enough, they wont react confused when you roll over their heads so I had to run around until they had regenerated. Finally I did the same thing as before and WHAM both collide with each other and die. I imagine this work with any sized group but it gets harder and harder to stun everyone at once. So cheap but hey, whatever works!

As for fights vs weapons, they are indeed the easiest as you said, a simple reversal and you got their silly weapon. The staff being the best as you can smack them while they are down with it, until it breaks at least.

Given good enough reflexes I assume one could reverse every single attack that you receive. I've never been interested in fighting games that much so I wouldn't know about the difficulty of reversals, first time I heard it explained was by Gem in some old streetfighter thread.

Surprisingly complex and fun gameplay for having such extremely dated graphics though.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1816705:date=Dec 17 2010, 08:49 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Dec 17 2010, 08:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816705"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bought it for $12, just so I could spite Child's Play by once again not giving a single penny to it.

###### kids, ###### <i>sick</i> kids, and ###### giving sick kids free ###### that isn't going to help them live anyway.

'tis the season after all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I knew there was a reason you were on the naughty list this year!
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1816976:date=Dec 18 2010, 12:26 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Dec 18 2010, 12:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1816976"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I knew there was a reason you were on the naughty list this year!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's why I have to buy all my own presents.
    <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/eo9v3/hibundle_2_steam_tiein_confirmed_check_url/" target="_blank">You'll be able to activate the bundle on Steam.</a>
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    You're now able to activate the bundle on Steam. Go to your download page and get your key.
    If you've already purchased bundle 2, you get the first bundle on Steam free on your download page. Woot
    I wonder if that's true for gift purchases... I hope so.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1818384:date=Dec 22 2010, 04:02 PM:name=JediYoshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JediYoshi @ Dec 22 2010, 04:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818384"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you've already purchased bundle 2, you get the first bundle on Steam free on your download page. Woot<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Help us bring up the average!
    Everyone who pays more than $7.38 gets the first Humble Bundle as well!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    I think going forward that's the case, Zaggy, but EVERYONE who bought it previously gets Humble Bundle #1.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1818462:date=Dec 22 2010, 11:51 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Dec 22 2010, 11:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think going forward that's the case, Zaggy, but EVERYONE who bought it previously gets Humble Bundle #1.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is definitely true. I did $5 then gifted it to 6 people for $1 each and my $5 account has it
    <!--quoteo(post=1818455:date=Dec 22 2010, 11:35 AM:name=Zaggy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zaggy @ Dec 22 2010, 11:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1818455"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"If you're an owner of one of the 180,000+ Humble Indie Bundle #2s <b>already purchased before this announcement</b>, you will find a complimentary Humble Indie Bundle #1 on your download page."

Hence the caveat:

"If you've already purchased bundle 2"
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    This event has made something like 300,000 dollars for charity, and each of the indie developers involved have made somewhere between 100,000-200,000 dollars (assuming the profit split is equal). The humble foundation itself has probably made about 60,000-80,000 dollars.

I hope we see alot more of these to come. Perhaps novelty is involved in the situation, but this is clearly quite an effective system for getting gamers involved in promoting the smaller side of the industry.
  • SamaseSamase Join Date: 2009-05-31 Member: 67597Members
    I bought the bundle for 10 dollars, got bundle 1 and 2. It feels like i rubbered them. I'm thinking of buying another bundle as a gift to a friend.