Ns 2 Feedback - game feeling

TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
edited December 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
Hello :

I know the game is not finish but here is my feeling about ns2 game i played :

First things :

MAPS :

_We need some minimap like on NS1, to figure out where other members are, and how big the map is, and have the name of the differents spots.
_We need bigger map... oh my god, the map are so small !! It's one of the reason why grenade and flamethrower are so powerfull.
_We need more space, more vision. On those map, models are bigger than they were in NS1, i'm becoming claustrophobic.
Everyhthing is kind of black , on NS1 popular map where those where you could see something and move like you want.
Thats why mineshaft was immersive, but not popular at all.
And that's why ns_eclipse, ns_veil, ns_tanith, where popular.

Ns2 Maps are greatly immersive, with a lot of detail but.... it's not gameplay map.
You finish by being blocked by every little details, metal bar... everything.
Where NS1 was favorizing alien by large place to move, in NS2 it's only little corridor. So the marine fire only in the same direction and is certain to hit something.

So I'm actually greatly disapointed by the gameplay, visibility, space, size, of maps.
Even if... they are very detailed. and beautiful, dont remember we have to play on this without being stuck by everything on the way.

Need more space guys.

To be more clear, on NS2 map, even in skulk, I feel like an onos on NS1 map.
No mobility, stuck by everything, can't move like i want.

Even when i walk on wall, there is always some detail, that block my way.
On NS1, it was easy to walk on walls

That's the big black spot of the game actually, in my opinion.

For everything else, i think you have a lot of great Idea anyway.
If I say nothing, it's that i think It's cool ;)

Comments

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Theyre gonna fix the problems skulks have sticking to walls.

And these maps are just the first 2, rockdown is actually some kind of test map I read, so tram is the only ordinary ns2 map released.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited December 2010
    Maybe the devs can just give marines the same minimap that the commander currently has in the bottom left of his screen. And just enhance it down the road...
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    I find the minimap difficult to read because it is cluttered up with props. All we need to see is the gameplay entities which it already marks. Couldn't they have the map ignore props and color the rooms based on the powergrid? A flat blue map like the old one would be easier to read and the rooms could turn red on the map when power is offline.
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813438:date=Dec 4 2010, 05:49 PM:name=Lemming Jesus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lemming Jesus @ Dec 4 2010, 05:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813438"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I find the minimap difficult to read because it is cluttered up with props. All we need to see is the gameplay entities which it already marks. Couldn't they have the map ignore props and color the rooms based on the powergrid? A flat blue map like the old one would be easier to read and the rooms could turn red on the map when power is offline.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree entirely.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    edited December 2010
    agreed, no need to mark every structure on map. after about 10 minutes the map is nothing but a green blob with red circles attacking it.

Edit: as far as the level size. I have a 2 larger maps almost completed ready for public test but still no word on a compiler or way to lock it from theft so they will have to stay in my private test group for now. Hopefully soon they will have a solution for locking the map up.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    or mark them smaller.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    I really liked the NS1 map. Where you hold a key to bring up a full screen overlay, worked great and I miss it.
  • beaglebeagle Join Date: 2010-12-04 Member: 75469Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, bring back old minimap, un-clutter comm maps- BIG TIME.

I too miss the large expansive maps from NS1, I'm hoping larger / more open areas feature in the final release.

Can not agree enough on the size of the structures and the player viewpoint; its like tunnel vision and you do get stuck on lots of geometry.

Hoping the FOV will be customisable in the final release also.