How do I adjust my FOV?

AixAix Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75409Members
Hello all (first post)

I searched the older threads and only found one from back in August that I didn't care to necro, but is there a way to adjust my FOV? The only advice I saw was to enter "//setfov [0-179]" into the console, but it didn't appear to do anything for me.

I tried (without quotation marks) "//setfov #" "\\setfov #" "setfov #" "setfov [#]" but couldn't produce any results. Playing in Eyefinity, this is a major problem for me since the game is pretty much unplayable at stock FOV.

Any help is appreciated. Sorry if I missed an obvious thread.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2010
    How is it unplayable though? Surely you can play it without turning on eyefinity... There is no support for this as of yet, the Spark engine might get this support someday, but I doubt NS2 will...
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1812737:date=Dec 2 2010, 10:21 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 2 2010, 10:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the Spark engine might get this support someday, but I doubt NS2 will...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Lets not get in to this argument again until the Devs make a comment.
  • AixAix Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75409Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1812737:date=Dec 2 2010, 11:21 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 2 2010, 11:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How is it unplayable though? Surely you can play it without turning on eyefinity... There is no support for this as of yet, the Spark engine might get this support someday, but I doubt NS2 will...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I see. I just tried it in 1920x1080 and it is still a very low FOV. Disregarding Eyefinity for the moment, is there no way to adjust the FOV <i>at all?</i> I'm assuming that since this game is being developed for PC that the developers realize that FOV is actually a very big deal to a lot of FPS gamers. BF:BC2 didn't have the option in its beta either, but the devs added support via the variable in the settings.ini file once the game was officially released.

Have the devs actually stated that the FOV will be locked or commented on FOV in general?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2010
    No official word as of yet, also the higher the res the bigger the HUD (a bug currently, I guess)

I'm playing in a window on 1280x720 and it feels about right...
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    1920x1200 feels pretty good for me, as well. Haven't had any headache/eyestrain issues like I've had playing games with horrible low FOV (Fallout 3, Farcry 2).
    <!--quoteo(post=1812764:date=Dec 3 2010, 12:25 AM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 3 2010, 12:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812764"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No official word as of yet, also the higher the res the bigger the HUD (a bug currently, I guess)

I'm playing in a window on 1280x720 and it feels about right...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah, to me it has that feeling like I'm running around looking through a zoomed-in video camera. Hopefully they add some support; I've already pre-ordered the game but it'll be extremely unlikely that I'll play it if the FOV is locked.

The stretched HUD happens on a lot of games and is usually fixed fairly easily, either by the devs or by the community. Allowing the community to do it themselves through an official .ini or however the game works is cool. Forcing the community to come up with a work-around would be a lot less cool.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    I play it in 1600x900 and have no issues with the FOV, it looks like any other game, is the same thing. If you can't play it this way then you can't play any game at all.
    Eyefinity is something new and not much games support it so far. Is just a matter of time and it will be added, once all the features are in and the game is fully smooth playable so you can mess with this new things.
  • FluffyMFluffyM Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75064Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1812792:date=Dec 3 2010, 07:50 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Dec 3 2010, 07:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812792"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you can't play it this way then you can't play any game at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Stop saying ignorant things.
    <!--quoteo(post=1812792:date=Dec 3 2010, 01:50 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Dec 3 2010, 01:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812792"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I play it in 1600x900 and have no issues with the FOV, it looks like any other game, is the same thing. If you can't play it this way then you can't play any game at all.
    Eyefinity is something new and not much games support it so far. Is just a matter of time and it will be added, once all the features are in and the game is fully smooth playable so you can mess with this new things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

All of the games in this particular <a href="http://orange.half-life2.com/" target="_blank"><!--coloro:#FFA500--><span style="color:#FFA500"><!--/coloro-->Orange Box<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></a> would suggest that supporting FOV and widescreen is actually not a new thing - especially since that collection was released in 2007. Glancing at my Steam Library, I see Assassin's Creed, Batman:AA, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Borderlands, Crysis/Warhead, GTA IV, L4D/2, Section 8, Supreme Commander 2, Torchlight, and Worms Reloaded - all of these games support widescreen natively with the exception of the UT3 Engine-based games (Borderlands/Section 8) that have the quirk of resetting their FOV every time the camera changes from one state to another. Even World of Warcraft supports it.

But you are half right: if a game doesn't support widescreen/FOV properly then I can't really play it properly and am unlikely to make it a game that I want to play for a long while. A game that properly supports widescreen/FOV is much more immersive and playable when using a widescreen setup. 720P is not what I'm talking about; that is a console or mid-range laptop resolution.
    You just said what I said. I play on widescreen resolution and I have no issues with the FOV. I don't have it with any game at all.
    I found more comfortable to play windowed, that's why I use 1600x900 resolution, but the FOV looks great and perfectly correct, no distortions at all.

NS2 support widescreen but has some issues in full screen mode. I only set the resolution in 720p if I make a video, and I can play with no problems at all, even the fact that I see everything tiny.

Like I said, if you can't play on normal FOV (which is not resolution) then you can't play any game at all. An expanded FOV is only for comfort and to view a little more on screen. If you are good you can play just fine, if you suck, well, you say that I'm ignorant.
    <!--quoteo(post=1812927:date=Dec 3 2010, 10:47 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Dec 3 2010, 10:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812927"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You just said what I said. I play on widescreen resolution and I have no issues with the FOV. I don't have it with any game at all.
    I found more comfortable to play windowed, that's why I use 1600x900 resolution, but the FOV looks great and perfectly correct, no distortions at all.

NS2 support widescreen but has some issues in full screen mode. I only set the resolution in 720p if I make a video, and I can play with no problems at all, even the fact that I see everything tiny.

Like I said, if you can't play on normal FOV (which is not resolution) then you can't play any game at all. An expanded FOV is only for comfort and to view a little more on screen. If you are good you can play just fine, if you suck, well, you say that I'm ignorant.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Two things:

1) I did not say that you are ignorant.

2) FOV should scale with resolution/aspect ratio if the game is going to be playable. You even said it yourself: "An expanded FOV is only for <u>comfort</u>." Do you really think that players will stick around if they aren't comfortable playing the game? FOV also affects things other than what you see; a low FOV makes you appear to move a lot slower than you actually are, while at the same time making your mouse sensitivity seem far higher than it actually is. So yes, to a gamer that is used to playing games that feature either a scalable and/or customizable FOV, it <i>is</i> unplayable. Personally, after playing many other games with a higher FOV it is really - and unnecessarily - difficult to just load up and play game with 60 FOV.
    edited December 2010
    To be completely honest, FOV effect some people more than others.
    Some of us get headaches, motion sickness, etc if the FOV is not wide enough.

I know some zealots wants to put the lock-down on FOV to prevent "unfair advantages" with multiple monitors. But the vast majority of us need it to have a comfortable gaming experience.
    Telling people to "deal with it" or run in windowed mode is obviously not a good solution.

<!--quoteo(post=1812927:date=Dec 3 2010, 09:47 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Dec 3 2010, 09:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812927"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Like I said, if you can't play on normal FOV (which is not resolution) then you can't play any game at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is complete garbage.
    You still don't get it. I understand that.
    The freaking thread is about eyefinity FOV, not your invented idea of about what it is.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    I'm sure the devs will address the FoV issue at some point down the road. It would actually make sense for skulks/lerks/gorges to have slightly more FoV due to the small size. The problem is that having an adjustable FoV can make it possible to basically have eyes in the back of your head. In a game that's about being sneaky and using ambush tactics, that is an unfair exploit.

In a single player game, it is up to the player how difficult or easy they want the challenge to be. In a multiplayer game, there has to be some amount of fairness/equality between all the players. Having an adjustable FoV beyond ~110 degrees would be a balance problem.
    <!--quoteo(post=1812958:date=Dec 3 2010, 11:46 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Dec 3 2010, 11:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812958"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You still don't get it. I understand that.
    The freaking thread is about eyefinity FOV, not your invented idea of about what it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Eyefinity aside, adjusting FOV to some degree is necessary for many of us.
    Read: My earlier posts.
    <!--quoteo(post=1812958:date=Dec 3 2010, 12:46 PM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Dec 3 2010, 12:46 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812958"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You still don't get it. I understand that.
    The freaking thread is about eyefinity FOV, not your invented idea of about what it is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually I do understand what FOV is, and the thread is about FOV in general - I just happen to play in Eyefinity. And considering that I made the thread, it kinda <i>is</i> what I want it to be about. When I play BF:BC2 on my laptop with a single screen I <i>still</i> adjust my FOV higher because of the very issues I listed in my previous post (slower feel to movement but higher-seeming DPI). If you would like a tutorial on how aspect ratios and FOV work together then I suggest you visit the <a href="http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/" target="_blank">Widescreen Gaming Forum</a>, where there are many people who care about the exact issue I'm talking about. Instead of just saying "NO. Play it as-is." perhaps you could recognize that there are different tastes and styles to account for <b>in PC gaming.</b> If a developer responded like you have I would just say "Enjoy your dead game in 6 months. Hope all the time/money/effort were worth it."

For some reason you think that specifying my issue as "Eyefinity FOV" makes a difference: it doesn't. FOV makes a big difference in single monitor and multi-monitor.

<!--quoteo(post=1812960:date=Dec 3 2010, 12:50 PM:name=culprit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (culprit @ Dec 3 2010, 12:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812960"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm sure the devs will address the FoV issue at some point down the road. It would actually make sense for skulks/lerks/gorges to have slightly more FoV due to the small size. The problem is that having an adjustable FoV can make it possible to basically have eyes in the back of your head. In a game that's about being sneaky and using ambush tactics, that is an unfair exploit.

In a single player game, it is up to the player how difficult or easy they want the challenge to be. In a multiplayer game, there has to be some amount of fairness/equality between all the players. <u>Having an adjustable FoV beyond ~110 degrees would be a balance problem.</u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That last bit is important: I don't actually want some sort of crazy fishbowl FOV where I can see 360 degrees at all times - I don't know how I could even function correctly with such a setting - but something like 90-110 is actually perfect. 60-75 is just horrendous.
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1812965:date=Dec 3 2010, 12:22 PM:name=Aix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aix @ Dec 3 2010, 12:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812965"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Actually I do understand what FOV is, and the thread is about FOV in general<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think PaiSand is trying to say we don't get what FOV is... He's trying to say we don't get what the true subject matter of the argument is here. But I think we do get that.
    PaiSand just doesn't get that we don't necessarily care <b>why</b> FOV adjustments are needed, just that we want it. It's part of the PC gaming culture.
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    edited December 2010
    Hadn't problems with NS2 so far but the low FOV in Fallout3 made me always a bit seasick. Took me my first playthrough to find out what it was :/
    But also I haven't played NS2 for hours in a row. So for some people this might becoma an issue.
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    Agreed, the FOV is much too low, at least on widescreen I think. Something doesn't feel alright.
  • FluffyMFluffyM Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75064Members
    Bump, official word on this would be nice, though I highly doubt they're going to make noob-mistakes like fixing FOV, using weird vertical FOV or something like that.
  • DalzigDalzig Join Date: 2009-06-02 Member: 67629Members
    edited December 2010
    I can't tell you what the official position will be as the game goes on, but here's the current state of FOV in NS2 (as of 158).

FOV values:
    Marine = 90 (95 sprinting - might not be implemented yet)
    Onos = 95
    Skulk = 110
    Lerk = 100 (35 zoomed)
    Gorge = 95
    Fade = 90

You can set your FOV by using the command "setfov <x>". However, this will reset whenever the camera resets (death). The valid values for a fov are 1-179, and 181-255 (upside down). A value of 180 will cause absolutely nothing to render, which is kind of fun.

Edit: You can also change the commander fov. Crazy.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Haha Aix you poor bugger, reading this thread gave me nostalgia for a thread I made ages ago asking about a specific GPU feature

NS2HD: Hi everyone, wondering about X GPU performance in beta, because I want to use Mercury
    Reply: You idiot NS2HD, it's a Beta, GPU benchmarking is stupid.

Aix: Hi everyone, wondering about changing the FOV because I want to use Eyefinity
    Reply: You idiot Aix, it's a Beta, debating FOV is stupid.

But seriously, good thread, I was interested in this as well and looks like Dalzig has produced at least a partial solution.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    after playing goldenye 64 split screen 4 player on a tv older than me, any fov is good enough for me
    Apparently they see a 90 FOV as a 60 FOV, so the problem (you know, 4:3 resolution instead of 16:9).
    Regardless some exceptions, all modern games have a 90 FOV (or higher) or they give the option to set it.
    And yes, at some point NS2 will have a better method to adjust the FOV, some kind of obvious feature.
    I don't discuss about motion sickness, I don't know much about it. Perhaps you need glasses.
  • ssjyodassjyoda Join Date: 2002-03-05 Member: 274Members, Squad Five Blue
    not all modern games have proper FOV... take a look at most games that run off the unreal3 engine, particularly Bioshock 1 and 2. Mass Effect 2 is pretty bad also. All with no easy way of adjusting the FOV. Eyefinity made this issue much more apparent, but there are always widescreen issues with that engine. FOV and aspect ratio should adjust themselves accordingly to whatever resolution your screen is running, if this is done correctly everyone with single and multi monitors would be satisfied. This is not a strictly eyefinity need, playing on a 4:3, 6:9 and 6:10 all require different FOV and aspect settings.
  • BitPonBitPon Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75104Members
    Those of us who've been around for a long time now can tell that FOV could be set in Quake back in 96 (yes, i'm old). So claiming this would be some sort of new thing in PC-gaming is kind of stupid, Quake being the first 3D FPS and all...
  • peentankpeentank Join Date: 2010-09-01 Member: 73857Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813837:date=Dec 6 2010, 01:06 PM:name=Loey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Loey @ Dec 6 2010, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813837"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->after playing goldenye 64 split screen 4 player on a tv older than me, any fov is good enough for me<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol yea , goldeneye 64 on a 15" tv that has bunny ears built into it pwns. especially when 4 of you are sitting infront of it in these awkward chairs. 2 of you have to sit on the side kinda, and 2 behind them. the owner of the house naturally gets to sit up front.
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813996:date=Dec 7 2010, 11:24 AM:name=peentank)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peentank @ Dec 7 2010, 11:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813996"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lol yea , goldeneye 64 on a 15" tv that has bunny ears built into it pwns. especially when 4 of you are sitting infront of it in these awkward chairs. 2 of you have to sit on the side kinda, and 2 behind them. the owner of the house naturally gets to sit up front.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    once you;ve gamed like that, any resolution/fov should be workable.
    <!--quoteo(post=1813844:date=Dec 6 2010, 07:45 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Dec 6 2010, 07:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813844"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Apparently they see a 90 FOV as a 60 FOV, so the problem (you know, 4:3 resolution instead of 16:9).
    Regardless some exceptions, all modern games have a 90 FOV (or higher) or they give the option to set it.
    And yes, at some point NS2 will have a better method to adjust the FOV, some kind of obvious feature.
    I don't discuss about motion sickness, I don't know much about it. Perhaps you need glasses.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not all "modern" PC games come with around 90FOV out of the box. Google around about it, there have been <b>plenty</b> of games with 50-70 FOV and that causes big problems for some people.

For me, 85 - 90 FOV is just right.
  • Dickbeard the PirateDickbeard the Pirate Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73082Awaiting Authorization
    edited December 2010
    People like me who are used to playing QuakeLive with 130 FOV on a 4:3 screen would also appreciate higher FOV. It would certainly make it much less impossible to track someone as they're dodging around while you're trying to maul them as a skulk.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOoE-WfAP7k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOoE-WfAP7k</a>

;)