Jumping after a leap

ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
<div class="IPBDescription">makes my nucleus accumbens hurt</div>While running through the map i leap randomly to get faster and when i press jump just after landing - being a somewhat experienced goldsoruce and source-game player - i expect to keep the momentum from the leap but it just switches to running speed. It actually makes you FEEL as if you're even slower than when you just kept running. So yeah... it's pretty unrewarding.
There should be a short deceleration phase or something like that to make it feel better. When playing the Jockey in L4D2 you can alternately leap and jump thus keeping momentum; you don't get much faster by that so its not comparable to BH but it makes you feel less impeded.

Btw speaking of BH. This could be the "skill based movement that is not BH": Leap, jump while you land to keep momentum (maybe keeping the leap button pushed down or simultaneously pressing it with the jump button). The timing should be very exact and to keep the speed through corners you could leap onto a wall, turning around and jumping from it as you touch it (similiar to l4d1 hunter)

Comments

• PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    edited November 2010
    And then everyone will script that and you have a momentum of never stop skulks.
    No thanks, I always hate BH and don't want it back. Is not skill, is an script (very different).
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    PaiSand's response to bunnyhopping is the typical ignorant average pubber reply. Can bunnyhopping be scripted? Yes. Were the people who destroyed you so bad you hate bhopping using a script? No. There's a huge different in mastering bunnyhopping while in combat and using a script to increase your movement abilities.

Either way, with leap a researchable hive 1 ability skulks may already have enough mobility. It's too early/hard to tell if bunnyhopping should be encouraged or discouraged in NS2's current state.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    With leap i meant the little "lv1-leap" that doesn't need to be researched

And please stop talking about BH, talk about it's replacement.
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1810618:date=Nov 26 2010, 12:30 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Nov 26 2010, 12:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PaiSand's response to bunnyhopping is the typical ignorant average pubber reply. Can bunnyhopping be scripted? Yes. Were the people who destroyed you so bad you hate bhopping using a script? No. There's a huge different in mastering bunnyhopping while in combat and using a script to increase your movement abilities.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Calling me names makes my point. LOL

I do want that you can leap on middle air, so you leap once and leap again and again, until you don't have any more powa to do it. Then again.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1810628:date=Nov 25 2010, 11:05 PM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Nov 25 2010, 11:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810628"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Calling me names makes my point. LOL<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess an accurate description of someone is technically calling that person a name. I'm not sure how you being an average pubber who is ignorant to high level NS1 helps prove your point, but then again, I think our minds work every differently.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1810643:date=Nov 26 2010, 04:56 AM:name=SentrySteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SentrySteve @ Nov 26 2010, 04:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810643"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess an accurate description of someone is technically calling that person a name. I'm not sure how you being an average pubber who is ignorant to high level NS1 helps prove your point, but then again, I think our minds work every differently.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Can you read the screen with your nose that far in the air?

I don't really see the point in bunnyhopping, if you want skulks to go faster buff their movement speed, if you want more movement complexity add new tricks, like the fade blink orientation, it makes it so that you should blink behind people to gain a positional advantage, because the game favours you if you do that. Skulks can get perhaps a charge for their leap which makes them move slowly but the leap will be more powerful, if you hit a marine with a charged leap from close range it knocks their view around a bit and gives you an opening to bite them. So a good tactic for skulks would be to use leap to get close to a marine and then escape their sight long enough to charge up and disorient them, then bite them to death. It'd also support their role as an ambusher, parasiting marines and then using that information to lay ambushes for them.

There are better ways to add depth than adding a needlessly complex movement booster.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    please stop talking about bhopping, it's not going in. If you want to skill jump, there's a leap bug where jump+leap gives the leap extra momentum. why don't you work on mastering that before they fix the bug (or not)?
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1810658:date=Nov 26 2010, 12:30 AM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Nov 26 2010, 12:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810658"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->please stop talking about bhopping, it's not going in. If you want to skill jump, there's a leap bug where jump+leap gives the leap extra momentum. why don't you work on mastering that before they fix the bug (or not)?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah I'm liking that quite a bit. Although I wasn't sure whether it was a bug or not, but it sure is nice.

Bringing up BH never doesn't anything good, you all know it, and yet you persist. Ahh the joys of the internet.
    Like I say it, the leap upgrade must let you leap in mid air, then is a plus for the upgrade.
    Starting with the mini-leap is great, gives more balance for marines. If you rush them at start you can easily win if you have a full leap, but as it's a limited leap it balance the game.

Imagine you are on a wall, on the top. You let you fall (or jump) and then leap, bite, leap away, leap back, bite...
    That's how I imagine the skulk should move.

But then marines get shotguns, and you need a little more advance movement. There is when a full leap helps, but as you can't do it in mid air is some how limited and unbalanced over the power of shotguns, and not to mention grenade launcher. Against grenade launchers is just idiotic go as skulk or lerk.

One thing that could be added is self damage (team perhaps?) with the nades. This way you'll be more careful where you shoot.

I don't know, what you think about allow the upgraded leap be done in mid air? (plus the actual increased movement)
    Kind of stupid because then it isn't so much leap as 'my skulk has jetpack farts'.

The skulk isn't a flying class, the lerk is, the skulk is supposed to have to use its environment to get around. Fix the iffy wallclimbing and have leap only work on the ground.
    Yeah, that make sense.
  • EldonEldon Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72414Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    I'd support a single "bound" off a surface from a leap if it was implemented well and felt fluid.

E.g. Skulk hits wall, turns 90 degrees, bounds off wall into enemy's face.

But it's exactly the same as two leaps :P
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1810606:date=Nov 26 2010, 10:16 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Nov 26 2010, 10:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810606"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And then everyone will script that and you have a momentum of never stop skulks.
    No thanks, I always hate BH and don't want it back. Is not skill, is an script (very different).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Only scrubs scripted bhop. True bhop was pure skill.
    edited November 2010
    Just cause 2 does wall based gameplay perfectly well, it's more or less point and click to move somewhere, so you can make surface based movement very precise and simple, all the skulk needs is a more powerful and precise model for the leap to make it a more interesting and playable class. At the moment it's slow, inaccurate, and doesn't often actually stick where you want it to. You can change and should change that because it's rather loose.
  • RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm not fussed about bhop / anti bhop as long as they don't follow CS's ineptitude with treacle feet. (jump down onto a downward facing ramp and stop dead)
    edited November 2010
    If you make momentum too strong you end up skidding all over the place, very bad for precise controls.