I miss being able to build stuff

Comments

• TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    edited November 2010
    We had a huge discussion about this before and at least marines can help build now. One thing I sure miss is when I axe down a RT, now the commander can't drop a new one for me to build.. I either got to sit there and wait (hopefully not die) for a MAC to arrive.. if it even does, in order to slowly help him build. It just feels TO actiony, the best way I can describe it is it basically feels like a bigger version of combat with coms tossed in for the sake of it. I'd really really like to be able to do something outside of fight in this game as marines.

The helping to build aspect is so insanely slow that it's on the brink of being pointless unless you have an entire team helping.

Weep I agree entirely, I feel a massive amount of disconnection from the commander and hell even my teammates this time around. I mean yeah the game isn't finished yet so hopefully it will change, but out of every game I've played so far I've hardly been able to tell we even had a com, a lot of times in fact I thought we did and checked, no com.. or I thought we didn't checked and we had one. Communication is basically dead, since there is hardly any reason at all to even communicate at this point, which is a massive problem in my eyes.

Maybe it's just the games I've played but in 50 or so hours you'd think I would run into it at least once? So even if it DOES happen the fact that it's so rare is also a problem as well.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1809975:date=Nov 24 2010, 03:34 PM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Nov 24 2010, 03:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809975"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It just feels TO actiony, the best way I can describe it is it basically feels like a bigger version of combat with coms tossed in for the sake of it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hmm... so NS2 is like NS/CO hybrid...
    Ya know, maybe that is for the best. Since when CO was released it fragmented the hell out of the playerbase. Now, it's more of a compromise.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2010
    Maybe the comm should be able to put down small buildings like sentries trough the nanite-powergrid. Those can be built quite fast... Setup a defensive area around the RT so the MAC can pop down a RT and helps to make marines feel less like a sentry themselves :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1809976:date=Nov 24 2010, 04:38 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Nov 24 2010, 04:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809976"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm... so NS2 is like NS/CO hybrid...
    Ya know, maybe that is for the best. Since when CO was released it fragmented the hell out of the playerbase. Now, it's more of a compromise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It shouldn't have to compromise though, NS was amazing on it's own and co. was fun for a while as it's own thing but you could never compare the two, NS was far superior to co. I mean all they would need to do is mod co. which I am positive someone will end up doing anyhow so this just doesn't make any sense to me. Don't get me wrong I'm not ###### about NS2 I am loving it's direction and improvements so far it's just I don't agree with every single little thing, which these two issues are about the only ones I have.

I can understand from a mainstream point of view how making it purely action base will help it sell and appeal to players more, I get that. My thing is, it is possible to make choices, like how games have classes, you pick soldier (pure fighting) or engineer where you can fight AND build, so those who want the pure action can choose to do so, while those that want some break from it and help the team build up, can do that as well.. options are great.

What I don't get is, why should NS2 have to give up one of the largest things that made it what it is, to appeal to more people. I can't remember hearing anything about it but PLEASE tell me at leas the welder will be in the game, just the fact that marines can't weld doors closed and it's all done by MAC's is a bit ridiculous to me as well, why is it that MAC's are able to do everything Marines can't, wouldn't it make sense to give both the ability fully build and weld? I mean hell MAC's can even FIGHT, they literally do it all, making the commander completely disconnected from the players which is blatantly evident as of now.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    I agree the only point to go gorge at all is to drop hydras. They can't fight (well), the only thing they build contributes to server crashes, and crags are far better heals. Even gorge rushes have lost their meaning D:

In NS1 I was terrible at most life forms, so I'd help with the initial RT/chamber drops, then I'd usually be that guy saving for the hives, or dropping chambers in strategic locations if the hive was covered.
    Now I find myself hopping in the comm chair. That's good and all, since aliens have a comm that way, but where does it leave the gorge? At best another player temporarily hops to gorge to help hydra up a location with my crags/whips. :(
  • Gun_KnightGun_Knight Join Date: 2004-11-03 Member: 32618Members
    Gorge needs help and work on, nuff said
  • EldonEldon Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72414Members, Constellation
    It'd be nice if gorge was used to upgrade buildings commander had placed, so they work symbiotically :)
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1809981:date=Nov 24 2010, 03:49 PM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Nov 24 2010, 03:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809981"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It shouldn't have to compromise though, NS was amazing on it's own and co. was fun for a while as it's own thing but you could never compare the two, NS was far superior to co.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    CO had/has a much larger playerbase than NS though...
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1810012:date=Nov 24 2010, 06:28 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Nov 24 2010, 06:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810012"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->CO had/has a much larger playerbase than NS though...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

are you trying to argue that larger playerbase = better game?
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1810013:date=Nov 24 2010, 04:30 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Nov 24 2010, 04:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810013"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->are you trying to argue that larger playerbase = better game?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nope, trying to argue that the majority of players obviously preferred to play CO more than NS. Not to say those people didn't enjoy a nice game of NS from time to time, but most of their playtime was in CO.

Compromising and making a hybrid of the two merges those two playbases together. No more fragmentation.

What makes the game "better" is relative to your taste.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I do not agree with the original premise of the thread. I also think the Alien Commander is a great addition to the game. Gorge needs some love other than his turret spam ability.
  • weepweep Join Date: 2009-08-21 Member: 68556Members
    edited November 2010
    What about this: Alien commander wants to build chamber A. He sends out a standing order for it to be build in place X. This order will appear on the map for every gorge. When a gorge get close to place X, he will see a "hologram" of that chamber, telling him that commander wants this type of building built at that place. Gorge will then proceed to build it (or ignore the order). If orders are ignored, commander can then choose to send a slow drifter. However with the slow speed and high vulnerability of a drifter, a gorge will always be better suited for the job.

This will force the commander to work with gorges. Teamwork +1 and gorges are no longer as useless as they were before. They can drop big structures on commanders order and minor ones as they see fit themselfs.
  • intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
    I don't know much about the balancing and mechanics etc but I guess it would be cool if Gorges could at least contribute to slowly doing a building up.. I don't think we'll miss it though if its gone when all the other stuff gets implemented... you might miss it now because there isn't so much content in the Beta but when it has other stuff and more interesting stuff to spend your time doing it won't seem so bad.
  • Shatner's BassoonShatner's Bassoon Join Date: 2010-11-18 Member: 74999Members
    A way to make gorges important is to only allow DI to spread a small distance around the hive, after that it's up to the gorges to drop "creep tumours" that spread the growth. OK, it's totally stolen from SC2 but you might as well steal from the very best.

In NS1 Gorges had ultra-high importance early on for getting the RTs up but for now it feels like a bit of a "fifth wheel" class that isn't relied on for anything in particular.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    I don't but I do think games are a bit to short atm
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1810026:date=Nov 24 2010, 06:44 PM:name=weep)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (weep @ Nov 24 2010, 06:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810026"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about this: Alien commander wants to build chamber A. He sends out a standing order for it to be build in place X. This order will appear on the map for every gorge. When a gorge get close to place X, he will see a "hologram" of that chamber, telling him that commander wants this type of building built at that place. Gorge will then proceed to build it (or ignore the order). If orders are ignored, commander can then choose to send a slow drifter. However with the slow speed and high vulnerability of a drifter, a gorge will always be better suited for the job.

This will force the commander to work with gorges. Teamwork +1 and gorges are no longer as useless as they were before. They can drop big structures on commanders order and minor ones as they see fit themselfs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So basically.... make alien building process almost identical to marine building process from NS1? o.O
    (any drifer option being "almost")
  • weepweep Join Date: 2009-08-21 Member: 68556Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1810053:date=Nov 25 2010, 01:46 AM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Nov 25 2010, 01:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810053"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So basically.... make alien building process almost identical to marine building process from NS1? o.O
    (any drifer option being "almost")<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hate to say it, but pretty much yes, since we are stuck with this alien commander shenanigans. Today's modern gorge simply isn't fun enough to play. Obviously something has to be done and this is just an idea among others.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    I think it would be cool to have the NS1 build mechanics back.

Drifters/MACs could do administrative work for the commander to setup bits and pieces a bit slower, where-as marines/gorges can build much quicker while having the structure appear immediately ready for building like NS1.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Marines and Gorges can build assist all structures, Either they can be slowly built or slowly grow or you can assist in rapid setup.
    The gorge should work with the commander to help eachother setup defences much quicker, hold "E" <USE KEY> to assist constuction.

MAC's build and move orders can be qued by holding shift while you place orders. You can plot a course for a MAC/Drifter to follow before it starts building something if you want to sneek it down a specific route, no need to baby sit it all the way then order placement. It will fly the route and start building while you go do something else.
  • shivshiv Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71341Members, Constellation
    I'm not sure I really understand the complaint here. It's clear that the historical role of the gorge has since been rolled up into the commander role. Which I think is a good thing. With limited exception, the alien commander is in a far superior position to build than the gorge was. The commander has a unique view of the map that the gorge didn't. So, if you prefer building over fighting....couldn't you hop into the hive and do just that? The gorge of NS2 has certainly changed but I don't think it will be useless once it is fully fleshed out. His role seems to be more in laying down offensive structures, laying traps (webs) and helping heal the melee classes.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1810094:date=Nov 24 2010, 09:10 PM:name=shiv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shiv @ Nov 24 2010, 09:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure I really understand the complaint here. It's clear that the historical role of the gorge has since been rolled up into the commander role. Which I think is a good thing. With limited exception, the alien commander is in a far superior position to build than the gorge was. The commander has a unique view of the map that the gorge didn't. So, if you prefer building over fighting....couldn't you hop into the hive and do just that? The gorge of NS2 has certainly changed but I don't think it will be useless once it is fully fleshed out. His role seems to be more in laying down offensive structures, laying traps (webs) and helping heal the melee classes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

the problem lies in the fact that the commander is not at all vulnerable like the gorge was. So basically now you can ignore whatever the alien comm is doing instead of keeping tabs on him and keeping him out of harm's way. out of 20+ hours i've played of b155/b156 so far, not one game has had meaningful communication between alien comm and the rest of the alien team.
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    I've been playing alot of NS2 lately and realised I haven't gone Gorge once. Now in NS1, I always went Gorge, but in NS2, the Gorge just isn't the same. On the one hand, Uknown Worlds are making some nice changes to the formula but there's also some horrible changes. I pray that Marines/Gorges are able to build things as they did in NS1, that was part of its appeal.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1810094:date=Nov 24 2010, 09:10 PM:name=shiv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shiv @ Nov 24 2010, 09:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure I really understand the complaint here. It's clear that the historical role of the gorge has since been rolled up into the commander role. Which I think is a good thing. With limited exception, the alien commander is in a far superior position to build than the gorge was. The commander has a unique view of the map that the gorge didn't. So, if you prefer building over fighting....couldn't you hop into the hive and do just that? The gorge of NS2 has certainly changed but I don't think it will be useless once it is fully fleshed out. His role seems to be more in laying down offensive structures, laying traps (webs) and helping heal the melee classes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think the new commander system is cool; but I think its important to let individual players feel useful.

I'd rather play a supporting role at times instead of just trying to attack the other team (my only option, beside being a commander).

Regardless of the explanation; my feelings playing the game make me think this way - I agree that I haven't gone gorge once since I first tried him out.
  • Shatner's BassoonShatner's Bassoon Join Date: 2010-11-18 Member: 74999Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1810094:date=Nov 25 2010, 01:10 AM:name=shiv)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shiv @ Nov 25 2010, 01:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not sure I really understand the complaint here. It's clear that the historical role of the gorge has since been rolled up into the commander role. Which I think is a good thing. With limited exception, the alien commander is in a far superior position to build than the gorge was. The commander has a unique view of the map that the gorge didn't. So, if you prefer building over fighting....couldn't you hop into the hive and do just that? The gorge of NS2 has certainly changed but I don't think it will be useless once it is fully fleshed out. His role seems to be more in laying down offensive structures, laying traps (webs) and helping heal the melee classes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The problem is that the role of the gorge isn't well defined yet, I like the alien com idea but now it's not obvious what the gorge is "for", the rest of the classes don't have this problem. In NS1 if you didn't use gorges properly, the alien team didn't have a chance. I know it's early in the Beta but currently there's no reason for the alien team to use gorges at all beyond some cheesy hydra-spam in the marine base. When DI is in this won't be possible. 

I've just got this nagging feeling that gorges should be a fundamental part of the alien team and they aren't now. They should be the ones pushing forward the front line of the battle through their abilities, even though they aren't the ones doing the fighting. With the alien comm putting down the crags and whips it seems like the gorge needs something on top of heal spray and hydras that will facilitate this, if they were the ones responsible for spreading out the DI (through "creep tumors" or whatever) then they would suddenly become much more important.
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    edited November 2010
    yep I miss it a lot, helped encourage teamwork, literally constructing things together as a team with another player, that is all gone now, and its one thing to say were gonna take that out of the game, but when you actually play, you really miss it. That was a big part of ns1, that no longer exists.

Now especially with gorge it's like, everyone is saying, oh gorge is gonna be like a medic now, healing everyone, cept, gorge is slow, weak, healspray has no range, and all the alien units have low hp so they die really fast and never need healing. Can't heal skulks, they die in 1 shot, lerks die in 1 shot so theirs no healing them, fades die in 1-2 shots so theirs no healing for them so......What i'm getting at is, aliens have melee attacks they dont have the time to run back to the gorge inbetween biting someone, and the way the new blink works for fades, it's not as easy to run back and forth between gorge and battle. Gorges arent strong enough to go onto the battle field, and really would just get in the way and die if they tried. Gorges need to have a real function, come on UWE, gorge is arguably the most beloved class from ns1, WTF are you thinking? do you guys even play video games anymore?

(just an idea: gorges need to be like Paladin from diablo 2, having a set of auras, and when a gorge is around(say within 30-40 meters) alien players get this aura from the gorge and they either get a bonus to their damage, extra health, or increased speed. This would kind of restore teh feeling gorges used to have, of helping the greater good and not just spending resources on going fade all the time) This ability could go through walls etc, making the idea of hiding gorges in vents again part of the game. I can just see now, someone yelling hey we need a gorge in this vent with the extra damage aura so we can destroy this tech point. Marines would start to know which vents gorges hide in, and send teams to clear out those vents etc....
    <!--quoteo(post=1810012:date=Nov 24 2010, 05:28 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Nov 24 2010, 05:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810012"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->CO had/has a much larger playerbase than NS though...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But that is why I said in my post that they should make it optional. If you WANT to play co style, CoD, non stop action based fps then go out and kill. But if you want to stop and take a break then you have the OPTION to build, and weld. Now with MAC's no player will ever be forced to build if they refuse to since the commander can use a MAC to build, but as it stands now the ONLY choice for marines is KILL, which diminishes the essence of what made NS1 great.

Also it doesn't have to be building or welding maybe but something that your able to do to help the team outside of killing aliens. I don't care what anyone says about building, but taking down a RT by myself, telling the com (communication which is non existent now) to drop me a rt, building it while fighting off skulks, and successfully getting it up was always a very satisfying and fulfilling feel. Now its.. clear a RT and move to the next spot, or camp it out till a MAC comes and builds it. No real sense of accomplishment, and waiting for the MAC only waste time and will most likely get you killed.

To whoever will come and say, but the game play is different now! It's not.. I have done this, I've soloed RT's only to find I am unable to do a single thing about it afterwards because it's ALL completely controlled by the commander and MAC's. Which leads me to continue moving and doing more fighting, which I enjoy but it does NOT COMPARE to the feeling of successfully building that RT while fending off aliens at the same time, that was some of the best moments in NS for me.
  • ThaTha Join Date: 2009-06-05 Member: 67694Members
    if you want to build stuff just like in ns1.. well pretty sure theres still always ns1.

gonna get flamed for posting that :s
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    Maybe Marines could have a noncommander built structure (like the hydra is for aliens)?
  • Donner & BlitzenDonner & Blitzen Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70879Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1810104:date=Nov 24 2010, 09:22 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Nov 24 2010, 09:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810104"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->out of 20+ hours i've played of b155/b156 so far, not one game has had meaningful communication between alien comm and the rest of the alien team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, given that nobody actually cares to play a serious game, that's not surprising.