Classic NS maps in NS2

PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
<div class="IPBDescription">I think they could transition nicely.</div>Because core gameplay is changing in NS2 I had worried about original maps not making the change without losing their identity, but it seems to me almost any ns1 map could be easily converted into an ns2 map. There are already five tech points essentially built into all the original ns maps. Marine start, the three hives, and double. Of course there will need to be some tweaking done, but I really think you could convert any NS map for NS2 without having to change all that much. I don't know about anyone else, but for me that's an exciting thought.

Which brings me to my question. Is anyone working on any classic NS conversions? If so, would you be willing to share some of your work in progress?

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    This is an off-shoot of the OP's question: Does anyone know if KungFuSquirrel (blanking on his real name) is part of the NS2 project? I seem to remember he was at least meeting/talking with UWE at some point, but I don't recall any official statement saying he joined the team.

For those that don't remember, he was the author of NS_Eclipse and NS_Veil.
    So...any word on this?

@OP: I seem to recall someone working on NS_bast at sometime. I have no idea if it's still active.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    I started on the ns_bast but due to the nice flaming about it i decided to run it on a private server for SN only. I may make it public in the future but for now it will remain on fire in the vault.

Anytime you make a map larger than the "Mapping Guidelines" it will get flamed so i would have to say classic maps are to big for most to swallow.

I was told my ns2 tempest map wouldn't work because it fell outside the "Mapping Guidelines" But we have already ran some good lengthy games on it so I personally think the stock maps are to small but i suppose we will see how well they play at 32 players but i doubt the engine will ever support more than 16, all we can do is see how many players the engine supports before we can make a accurate projection on size of maps. already been raped by skulks before i could jump in chair and scramble a mac into action.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    i would LOVE to see something like eclipse remade :)
  • chubbystevechubbysteve Join Date: 2002-10-14 Member: 1496Members, Constellation
    I think SN.Wolf might be on to something here. The intention is to have 16 players on either side which means a skulk rush of some sort. Perhaps what will end up happening is the division of map sizes. The biggest map would be something like an exagerrated 'classic NS' map, where games are intended to take up to an hour and have 16 players per side. The next stage down would be what the Dev team/mapping guidelines suggest at the moment with a maximum of 8 players a side. The next stage down would be the combat maps from NS 1 (co_name) with a maximum of 64 billion players per side.

Elements of the original seven maps could be recreated (and almost certainly should be, if only as an homage), but no one would want to do so without contacting the authors and so on.

Also, ns_machina never got to shine like it damn well deserved. Neither did mineshaft and quite a few others.
  • marksmarks Join Date: 2008-07-28 Member: 64720Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808410:date=Nov 22 2010, 05:18 AM:name=McGlaspie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (McGlaspie @ Nov 22 2010, 05:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808410"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone know if KungFuSquirrel (blanking on his real name) is part of the NS2 project?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm pretty sure he isnt, I think dux and Olmy are the only level designers working (at least full-time) on NS2. I'm no authority here though, I could be wrong.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    I remember reading that he left for a personal reasons / another project / possibly both, but fairly sure he's not working on NS2 anymore.

As for mappers they do have, what about Barlow?
  • UKchaosUKchaos Join Date: 2002-08-10 Member: 1132Members
    The problem is that almost all of the ns maps have "3-pronged fork" structure where as ns2 seems to favour more symetrical designs. I think its better to be simply inspired by the original maps instead of trying to shoe-horn them into what is essentially a completely different game.

If you still decide to do a remake i think you should seek permission/blessing from the original author.
  • MasterGMasterG gmfbst Join Date: 2003-08-24 Member: 20169Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1808577:date=Nov 22 2010, 05:14 PM:name=chubbysteve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chubbysteve @ Nov 22 2010, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Elements of the original seven maps could be recreated (and almost certainly should be, if only as an homage), but no one would want to do so without contacting the authors and so on.

Also, ns_machina never got to shine like it damn well deserved. Neither did mineshaft and quite a few others.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->'

This. Machina would we awesome to do something about. Shouldn't be a problem to contact Merkaba about it either.

I'm also a bit speptical to recreating an exact copy of any of the original maps. But if the rooms were layd out, and put closer together, then map hallways to fit the ns2 map design. That could work right?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2010
    It's just to bad there is a default rotation of maps in NS1 that are the only ones that get played. so many awesome maps out there and not only the official ones either...

I was going to remake my map, but I'm going off in a different direction, mapping alongside an optimized layout which pushes players towards each other and bigger rooms less hallways.

Although a "remake" would be nice, it just wouldn't be the same...