Donating - I would like to

13»

Comments

• TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Imho, just set up a temp donation-account people can transfer money to.
    And later on, when the game has gone gold, you might have time to make a proper donationsystem with all the extra blingbling.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    Honestly, I don't get why people are not just buying more copies and giving them to their friends. That makes perfect sense to me, but I'm sure you people have your reasons for not doing so.

Consider this: If UWE took up donations, they use the collective money for a PR stunt. "Make a NS2 trailer, win a free SE code!" or "Draw what the marines do once all the kharaa are dead, win a free car!" Seems to me this would be a win::win decision. Being in the public eye is extremely important for a budding indie, and this would also pacify those waiting for a gameplay trailer.

Just an idea.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1808196:date=Nov 21 2010, 04:12 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Nov 21 2010, 04:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808196"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imho, just set up a temp donation-account people can transfer money to.
    And later on, when the game has gone gold, you might have time to make a proper donationsystem with all the extra blingbling.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    -headdesk-
    Why? Why don't anyone listen to Corey...
  • RisingSunRisingSun Rising California Join Date: 2004-04-19 Member: 28015Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    As soon as the connection issues are fixed i will but 6 copies and pass them out as an early christmas present lol. I was never good at keeping a surprise. Bought NS2 Alpha for my wife for our Anniversary. I am SO romantic lol. That and a diamond necklace :P NS2 was the better gift imo.
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=1808188:date=Nov 21 2010, 03:57 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Nov 21 2010, 03:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808188"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you wait until Christmas to give out the copies that you bought, the game will be in much better shape then it is now, so hopefully when your friends jump in their playing experience would be much better then your own initial experience. At the rate we are moving there's a lot of fixes and additions we'll have done by xmas time.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While this is good to know, I honestly don't have anyone I know who I could give the game to, anyways, and I don't want to have one go to waste.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1808210:date=Nov 21 2010, 04:45 PM:name=BAshh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BAshh @ Nov 21 2010, 04:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While this is good to know, I honestly don't have anyone I know who I could give the game to, anyways, and I don't want to have one go to waste.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's a digital medium... you can't really "waste" it. Buy a copy now and save the key for when you do want to give it to someone. Or start a NS2 thread on another forum you frequent and give it away to the 100th poster.
  • FluffyMFluffyM Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75064Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1808210:date=Nov 21 2010, 10:45 PM:name=BAshh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BAshh @ Nov 21 2010, 10:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808210"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While this is good to know, I honestly don't have anyone I know who I could give the game to, anyways, and I don't want to have one go to waste.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you honestly don't know anyone you could give extra copies to: send me a PM. I can link you to several forums old NS1 players frequent who are still holding off on buying, and give you the email addresses of about 70 friends (using the term "friends" loosely, for most of them) of mine who don't own the game yet.
    Heck, you could go through NS2HD's videos and probably find 10 people who are too broke to buy it/don't have paypal/whatever.

If I were you though, I'd find out what game(s) most NS1 players migrated to, find a forum for a competitive league of said game and give it to someone there- if the person likes it you're pretty much guaranteed they are making their team and other friends buy it. Peer pressure ftw.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1808208:date=Nov 21 2010, 05:42 PM:name=RisingSun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RisingSun @ Nov 21 2010, 05:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808208"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As soon as the connection issues are fixed i will but 6 copies and pass them out as an early christmas present lol. I was never good at keeping a surprise. Bought NS2 Alpha for my wife for our Anniversary. I am SO romantic lol. That and a diamond necklace :P NS2 was the better gift imo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

for sure, diamonds may be forever but they have 0 replay value
    If you guys want someone to give away a copy to, check out my thread over on HardForums.
    <a href="http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1562767" target="_blank">http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1562767</a>
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    +1 WhiteZero

Good stuff :)
  • oskurooskuro Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13232Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808242:date=Nov 21 2010, 06:49 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Nov 21 2010, 06:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808242"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you guys want someone to give away a copy to, check out my thread over on HardForums.
    <a href="http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1562767" target="_blank">http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1562767</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Nice post ;) Spread the word!! ;)
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey hopefully you're still around Cory. I just recently invested in your constellation program for NS1 to help the development for NS2 and for my 7 years of dedication to playing NS1 and being a true vet. I havn't received an email back yet in terms of confirmation, but would it be possible to check that the payment was received :D ?

I really appreciate it, and I think anyone who reads this thread and wants to donate should definately head over to www.unknownworlds.com/ns go to the community tab, click on Constellation and donate 20 dollars. I know the benefit is really only getting the icon in NS1, but what you're really supporting is helping NS2 being developed, and giving the devs their breakfast, lunches, and dinners.
  • ViolenceViolence Join Date: 2004-10-10 Member: 32199Members
    None of my friends play video games either! The friends that do play World of Warcraft and Call of Duty..

I'll have to do some arm twisting, show em the games that real men play.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Guys, the constellation system is still active and you can sign up but keep in mind it is a NS1 *only* reward for it. There is no plans to bring any icons or such forward to NS2. Make sure you are signed into your forum account and it should work. If you have any problems with it, email me store@unknownworlds.com.

As Cory said, it would be cooler to buy the game and find someone to gift it to (there are lots of gaming forums with fans I am sure) but the constellation option is still up on the NS1 site.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    There have been a few key giveaways in the past, so I guess if people want to buy additional keys but don't know who to give them to, they can pool them together and give them away when we'll need to get some hype going.
  • salorsalor Join Date: 2004-02-21 Member: 26771Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808199:date=Nov 21 2010, 04:21 PM:name=WatchMaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WatchMaker @ Nov 21 2010, 04:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808199"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Honestly, I don't get why people are not just buying more copies and giving them to their friends...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because some people can only afford to donate something like $5 (which may be ALOT of money to said people...). It may not seem alot to some, but these "small" donations actually add up to quite a sum....
  • EldonEldon Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72414Members, Constellation
    Yeah I can't afford another full game, but the $20 USD I could afford so I did that.

If you want recognition for either donating to constellation or buying the game for friends please post your name in the following thread and I'll add you to the list:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111545" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=111545</a>

Cheers for the reply Comprox!
  • DaphistoDaphisto Hive Janitor Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8917Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just throwing in my two cents. What about adding in an entirely new set of alien models for a $15 donation. As many of you know, I was a huge fan of the Aliens custom models for the original NS as I liked the variety they brought. Maybe having a 2nd set of Alien models that might more closely resemble the aliens from the movie Aliens (of course, adding some creative changes as to not directly rip them off).

What do you think?
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Although stated already, I'll add to it.

In a way you can help UWE via: <a href="http://www.cafepress.com/thensstore" target="_blank">buying stuff</a> (Guessing it's small help thou)

There there is always the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/constellation/" target="_blank"><u>Constellation <b>for NS1</b></u></a>

You could use the e-mail address they use for the constellation and just send however much, whenever, you want. Don't see why there would be a prob with that.
  • -Klaus--Klaus- Join Date: 2008-11-14 Member: 65447Members
    Small suggestion,

What if those who gifted games got an achievement at least? Pretty easy, maybe further down the line an icon or a unique item, (gorge hat?).