NS2 is not ready for a Beta

167891012»

Comments

• ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1807987:date=Nov 21 2010, 11:16 AM:name=WatchMaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WatchMaker @ Nov 21 2010, 11:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807987"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, Cory made a very clear statement: The negativity of the forums isn't serving to boost the moral of the development team. I can't rightfully believe anyone could have read that any derived at any other meaning.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Welcome to the real world, it's hard.. truth.
  • bl1tzbl1tz Join Date: 2007-12-23 Member: 63242Members
    As soon as I realized the alpha wasn't coming out in the fall of 2009 when THEY said it would be released, I knew it was going to be a long time for the game to be released. I don't know about you, but in the real world (where people make money) if you say something and break your word, no one is going to take you seriously. That's what UWE has done. This premature beta release is another testament to this.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I can't connect to servers since today, but I still like the game. I can actually move fluidly trough the maps on a localhost, Fade blink rules!
  • HellabeanHellabean Join Date: 2004-06-30 Member: 29644Members
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808240:date=Nov 21 2010, 07:45 PM:name=bl1tz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bl1tz @ Nov 21 2010, 07:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808240"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As soon as I realized the alpha wasn't coming out in the fall of 2009 when THEY said it would be released, I knew it was going to be a long time for the game to be released. I don't know about you, but in the real world (where people make money) if you say something and break your word, no one is going to take you seriously. That's what UWE has done. This premature beta release is another testament to this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Tell that to Gabe Newell. After he stop laughing perhaps he explain you some things.
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808134:date=Nov 21 2010, 02:14 PM:name=bl1tz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bl1tz @ Nov 21 2010, 02:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808134"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->uh sorry but they haven't been working on the game at all as you can clearly see by this 'beta'<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's a shame you don't see the progress. Then again, this sounds like more of a joke, or you genuinely haven't been following NS2 development, in which case you have no basis for comparison. You're probably just upset because you paid into the beta and there's no rocket launchers and warthogs. Too bad for you.

I've gone from not being able to connect at all a couple months back, to actually getting into games and being able to play. That's certainly enough proof for me that progress has been made. Apart from that, I've enjoyed watching NS2 grow and being a part of the community that surrounds it. The game is in development, and if you can't appreciate then you don't have any business being here.
  • alephaleph Join Date: 2007-10-12 Member: 62620Members
    i see repeated
    "we did it for you"
    "we love you, fans"
    "this is for you"
    "the rough self-funded road meant more freedom"

so then
    why dumb down the RTS aspects?
    of your own accord?
    to make it more "accessible"?
    to make it easier, more popular?

the aspects that such dedication in your fans
    have been striped, diluted, altered beyond recognition, or just removed
    was what made NS live long in spite, not because, of you?

who are you catering to?
    not the fans, like me, i can tell you that
    to a "broader base"?
    to those "less initiated"?
    might as well have gone to EA
  • Stele007Stele007 Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30063Members
    edited November 2010
    What RTS aspects are they dumbing down? If anything, they're making it closer to a regular RTS (from the Commander's view) now that both teams have a commander and builders to make them not completely reliant off players. Do you even know what you're talking about...?
  • MaydayMayday Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75150Members
    edited November 2010
    As an old NS1 Vet (1st day player back in Halloween the day it came out and Mid-high level CAL player), I forgot to preorder the special edition to get into the Alpha, so I'm just now getting into the Beta.

I'm fine with the game being completely buggy, as any beta would be. However, right now it's broken. Straight Unplayable.

I literally can't connect to 80% of the servers, and the 20% I am able to join, I get constant floods of "Connection problem detected..." and am unable to move an inch without being teleported back to the starting position.

Quite disappointing. Hopefully I'll be able to at least play during the next build.

Question: Is there any ports that I should open on my router, or any other connection tips? Or do I just wait it out?
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808356:date=Nov 22 2010, 02:34 AM:name=Mayday)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mayday @ Nov 22 2010, 02:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808356"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As an old NS1 Vet (1st day player back in Halloween the day it came out and Mid-high level CAL player), I forgot to preorder the special edition to get into the Alpha, so I'm just now getting into the Beta.

I'm fine with the game being completely buggy, as any beta would be. However, right now it's broken. Straight Unplayable.

I literally can't connect to 80% of the servers, and the 20% I am able to join, I get constant floods of "Connection problem detected..." and am unable to move an inch without being teleported back to the starting position.

Quite disappointing. Hopefully I'll be able to at least play during the next build.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just because YOU can't connect to the server doesn't mean the entire game is unplayable. They've said there are issues that are being worked on, connection issues and Connection problem detected being one of them. The actual game itself is perfectly playable.
  • SappSapp Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75099Members
    It's working for me, too! I get the "couldn't establish connection" thing sometimes but it usually doesn't take me longer than 10 minutes to get a relatively stable connection. Right now, my only gripe are these connection hurdles and I'm looking forward to extensive Beta testing as soon as the networking issues are solved.

Hang in there UWE, I'm really enjoying NS2 so far and I'm amazed at your progress!
  • MaydayMayday Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75150Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1808358:date=Nov 21 2010, 06:37 PM:name=Revi.uk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Revi.uk @ Nov 21 2010, 06:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808358"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just because YOU can't connect to the server doesn't mean the entire game is unplayable. They've said there are issues that are being worked on, connection issues and Connection problem detected being one of them. The actual game itself is perfectly playable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Clearly I'm stating from my PERSONAL experience, which is the game is unplayable. I have no interest in trying out a local server playing by myself. I'm just agreeing with the topic title. Sorry you couldn't comprehend that.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    Mayday:

Try to verify the files via steam.

Right click on the game link - properties - local files - verify.

It worked great for me. Every time this error appears you have to do it.
  • alephaleph Join Date: 2007-10-12 Member: 62620Members
    edited November 2010
    base ic ally_ those most dedicated, supportive folk are supportive because of the subtle game formulae which are not being honored in NS2
    so the ones most loyal will be the ones most let down, as they see a sequel that abandons so much of what made its predecessor replay-worthy and engaging that it is almost another game
    <!--quoteo(post=1808355:date=Nov 21 2010, 09:31 PM:name=Stele007)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stele007 @ Nov 21 2010, 09:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808355"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What RTS aspects are they dumbing down? If anything, they're making it closer to a regular RTS (from the Commander's view) now that both teams have a commander and builders to make them not completely reliant off players. Do you even know what you're talking about...?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah but i don't want to re-quote one of those famous quotes about why the new commander is useless, its been said literally 100+ times as it is in the signiatures of several heavy posters
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1808356:date=Nov 21 2010, 07:34 PM:name=Mayday)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mayday @ Nov 21 2010, 07:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808356"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Question: Is there any ports that I should open on my router, or any other connection tips? Or do I just wait it out?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, you don't need to open any ports on your router / firewall unless you are running a dedicated server. The connection issues are well known and will hopefully be fixed when they release a patch this week. The best advice I can give is to try to connect to servers running ns_rockdown as I've noticed that there seem to be less issues with that map. Other than that just please be patient and wait for the server issues to be sorted out.
  • bl1tzbl1tz Join Date: 2007-12-23 Member: 63242Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808250:date=Nov 22 2010, 12:15 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Nov 22 2010, 12:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808250"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Tell that to Gabe Newell. After he stop laughing perhaps he explain you some things.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe if I can see past his rolls of fat- valve is nothing special when it comes to making games and they know this. Half life was literally the only good game they ever made, the rest of it was steam. Half life 2 was highly anticipated because it's a sequel of one of the best games of all time, but the engine compared to half life's is garbage.

<!--quoteo(post=1808282:date=Nov 22 2010, 01:10 AM:name=Pistachio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pistachio @ Nov 22 2010, 01:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a shame you don't see the progress. Then again, this sounds like more of a joke, or you genuinely haven't been following NS2 development, in which case you have no basis for comparison. You're probably just upset because you paid into the beta and there's no rocket launchers and warthogs. Too bad for you.

I've gone from not being able to connect at all a couple months back, to actually getting into games and being able to play. That's certainly enough proof for me that progress has been made. Apart from that, I've enjoyed watching NS2 grow and being a part of the community that surrounds it. The game is in development, and if you can't appreciate then you don't have any business being here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not really upset. I still play NS1, and I'll be frank, it's probably still going to be better than NS2 ever will be so I don't mind how long it takes because as soon as NS2 comes out, then the game will lose it's last leg entirely and die.

Setting up a release date and failing horribly to meet it in addition to not showing anything to the people who paid funds in hope that it would help the company is not going to make your customers happy. If they weren't ready for the game to be in alpha, why would they say it is? Why are they making the game into a beta before it's even playable for the masses of people? Someone said that 'people have been spoiled by all of the other betas these days" earlier in this thread. It must be the people because all of these other betas haven't set up a standard or anything, right?

The game is not in development, it is stagnant and not going anywhere. I've yet to see anyone list any of these changes to me, but I guess broad generalizations are the best way to discuss facts on these forums.
  • kormendikormendi Join Date: 2003-05-26 Member: 16726Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1808439:date=Nov 22 2010, 02:27 AM:name=bl1tz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bl1tz @ Nov 22 2010, 02:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808439"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've yet to see anyone list any of these changes to me<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Change logs from the past month:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010/11/ns2_build_154_released_havok_new_ui" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010...ed_havok_new_ui</a>
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010/10/ns2_alpha_build_152" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010...alpha_build_152</a>
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111289" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=111289</a>

You can see the in progress changes here:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/progress" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/progress</a>
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808439:date=Nov 21 2010, 11:27 PM:name=bl1tz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bl1tz @ Nov 21 2010, 11:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808439"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game is not in development, it is stagnant and not going anywhere. I've yet to see anyone list any of these changes to me, but I guess broad generalizations are the best way to discuss facts on these forums.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Maybe you could, oh, I don't know, <i>check the front page</i> for changelogs on recent patches? Oh, look, here's one: <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010/11/ns2_build_154_released_havok_new_ui" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/news/2010...ed_havok_new_ui</a>

Or even check the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/progress" target="_blank">progress page</a> for what they're working on RIGHT NOW for the next patch?

If you don't understand what the changes mean or can't be arsed to read them, at least do us a favor and keep your mouth shut. Nobody cares for what's coming out of it right now
  • Donner & BlitzenDonner & Blitzen Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70879Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808439:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:27 AM:name=bl1tz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bl1tz @ Nov 22 2010, 03:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808439"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not really upset. I still play NS1, and I'll be frank, it's probably still going to be better than NS2 ever will be so I don't mind how long it takes because as soon as NS2 comes out, then the game will lose it's last leg entirely and die.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While you're at it, can you also tell me what next week's lottery numbers will be? Thanks.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->showing anything to the people who paid funds in hope that it would help the company is not going to make your customers happy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So I guess all those people that are successfully playing the beta, that's nothing, right?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If they weren't ready for the game to be in alpha, why would they say it is?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The game wasn't ready to be in alpha? Um, if I recall correctly, the alpha phase highlighted the most pressing issues and helped push the game into the next phase of development. You know, kind of like what an alpha is supposed to do.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why are they making the game into a beta before it's even playable for the masses of people? Someone said that 'people have been spoiled by all of the other betas these days" earlier in this thread. It must be the people because all of these other betas haven't set up a standard or anything, right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Alpha, beta, it's irrelevant what you call it. UWE is moving the game into the next stage of development, where they need more testers. That point was made pretty simple in Max's post.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game is not in development, it is stagnant and not going anywhere. I've yet to see anyone list any of these changes to me, but I guess broad generalizations are the best way to discuss facts on these forums.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would suggest you try informing yourself of whats going on rather than make ignorant posts such as this.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    My issues with the game are:

latency/lag
    performance

I think if they focus on fixing connection issues and the server memory leaks and maybe fine tune the performance a bit, then we could have some decent games.

getting 20fps in some areas with a 5970 is not fun :(
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1808439:date=Nov 22 2010, 07:27 AM:name=bl1tz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bl1tz @ Nov 22 2010, 07:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808439"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The game is not in development, it is stagnant and not going anywhere. I've yet to see anyone list any of these changes to me, but I guess broad generalizations are the best way to discuss facts on these forums.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Any intelligent arguments made against the development cycle, speed and/or process of the game have just been crushed by your statement. Congratulations.

My I also point out if you guys are dis-satisfied to a wholesome extreme, just ask for your money back instead of constantly whining publicly so the development team can read. I can ###### with the best of them when I want to, but you have to have a purpose to it. So instead of ######, whining, crying, use getsatisfaction and be patient or ask for a refund.
  • OnionknightOnionknight Join Date: 2010-03-28 Member: 71103Members
    Everything will be a lot better once they fix the connection issues and some bugs (like the machine gun fire sound. 1 shot = 6 shot sounds. It still makes the noise even if the gun isn't firing).

<!--quoteo(post=1808471:date=Nov 22 2010, 10:42 AM:name=Codeine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codeine @ Nov 22 2010, 10:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My issues with the game are:

latency/lag
    performance

I think if they focus on fixing connection issues and the server memory leaks and maybe fine tune the performance a bit, then we could have some decent games.

getting 20fps in some areas with a 5970 is not fun :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What drivers and what settings. I use a HD 5870 on ultra high and everything is fine fps wise
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808471:date=Nov 22 2010, 09:42 AM:name=Codeine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codeine @ Nov 22 2010, 09:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My issues with the game are:

latency/lag
    performance

getting 20fps in some areas with a 5970 is not fun :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I heard that disabling Catalyst AI for mult-GPU ATI cards can help a fair bit, where crossfire isn't supported. (I've never owned one! so could be wrong)

"r_flash false" in the console can give huge fps increases in some scenarios.

"r_shadows false" can increase the fps a lot aswell, also stops stuttering.
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808611:date=Nov 22 2010, 11:35 AM:name=Snougar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Snougar @ Nov 22 2010, 11:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808611"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I heard that disabling Catalyst AI for mult-GPU ATI cards can help a fair bit, where crossfire isn't supported. (I've never owned one! so could be wrong)

"r_flash false" in the console can give huge fps increases in some scenarios.

"r_shadows false" can increase the fps a lot aswell, also stops stuttering.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i was able to join a server this weekend & did the shadows false trick. def improvement. still my setup & the connectivity issues were enough of a problem to where i couldnt really evaluate the gameplay. i sense it is very close though. hopefully todays patch will give more users a reasonable experience.
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    I actually played a full game last night, which was impossible for me just a few weeks ago. So progress is absolutely being made, and after today's patch it will be even better given the list of issues that are being fixed. Once flash is completely removed, we could be seeing a <i>doubling</i> of framerates.

I think that had the beta been delayed by just a week or two we could have avoided this whole debate, but what's done is done. The game is improving rapidly anyway.
This discussion has been closed.