Special Edition Black Armor

ScoutLynxScoutLynx Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75136Members
Hello everyone, I just now learned of Natural Selection 2 from my older brother whom I played the original HL mod with when we were in highschool and my mind is blown away about this game. I am about to pre-order the game, but i noticed information on a special edition black armor, which has expired in July. I was wondering if there is anyway to obtain this feature through priced DLC after release, or if anyone was selling special ediciton/ black armor DLC keys?

Comments

• TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    the black armor is for "Special Edition"-owners ONLY.
    So the only way for you to obtain the armor is to find somebody with surplus SE-keys and strike a deal.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1808142:date=Nov 21 2010, 02:32 PM:name=ScoutLynx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScoutLynx @ Nov 21 2010, 02:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808142"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hello everyone, I just now learned of Natural Selection 2 from my older brother whom I played the original HL mod with when we were in highschool and my mind is blown away about this game. I am about to pre-order the game, but i noticed information on a special edition black armor, which has expired in July. I was wondering if there is anyway to obtain this feature through priced DLC after release, or if anyone was selling special ediciton/ black armor DLC keys?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Oh jeebus... if UWE went the DLC route with NS2, then all hope would be lost.
  • TurbosniglenTurbosniglen Join Date: 2010-08-13 Member: 73607Members
    I wouldn't mind DLC armors and maybe even alien skins.
    But the black armor should be SE exclusive otherwise it wouldn't be anything special :)
  • FuzionMonkeyFuzionMonkey Join Date: 2005-05-04 Member: 50889Members
    The way TF2 has gone with the whole item market... its completely ridiculous. I would hate it if they did something like that.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808149:date=Nov 21 2010, 09:50 PM:name=Turbosniglen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Turbosniglen @ Nov 21 2010, 09:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808149"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But the black armor should be SE exclusive otherwise it wouldn't be anything special :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ...i obtained some eternal gratitude and you?
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    -polishes Conste badge-
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1808147:date=Nov 21 2010, 10:43 AM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Nov 21 2010, 10:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh jeebus... if UWE went the DLC route with NS2, then all hope would be lost.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't see the problem here with DLC, if they get in the character-customization that is subtle (not TF2 or Halo) and in-character then I say having a shop of purely cosmetic additions won't harm anyone and might bump up the profit for them which I do think they deserve. The game is already pretty darn cheap as it is and it's a one-time profit for them.
    I'd buy for example a scar or some bangle hanging from a belt just for the fun of it. I have money that I could spend but since it's a one-cost only getting the game there's no way possible I could do that unless they suddenly go subscription based.

Surely I'm not the only one who think DLC is not all bad?

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->P.S Having maps, game-modes and weapons however as DLC is awful though.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    i hate the dlc in general, however i liked the character packs for killing floor, they were reasonably priced didnt change the gameplay and helped support the devs. Something like that i would pay for.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    DLC exclusive edition party hats, instant money.
  • RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1808150:date=Nov 21 2010, 03:52 PM:name=FuzionMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FuzionMonkey @ Nov 21 2010, 03:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The way TF2 has gone with the whole item market... its completely ridiculous. I would hate it if they did something like that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To be fair on Valve, they have been maintaining FT2 for a bloody long time on what must be negligible sales (I can't see anyone who would be interested in it not having purchased it a LONG time ago)
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1808172:date=Nov 21 2010, 09:26 PM:name=Triggerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Triggerman @ Nov 21 2010, 09:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808172"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't see the problem here with DLC, if they get in the character-customization that is subtle (not TF2 or Halo) and in-character then I say having a shop of purely cosmetic additions won't harm anyone and might bump up the profit for them which I do think they deserve. The game is already pretty darn cheap as it is and it's a one-time profit for them.
    I'd buy for example a scar or some bangle hanging from a belt just for the fun of it. I have money that I could spend but since it's a one-cost only getting the game there's no way possible I could do that unless they suddenly go subscription based.

Surely I'm not the only one who think DLC is all bad?

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->P.S Having maps, game-modes and weapons however as DLC is awful though.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The DLC as an idea is okay, but the execution (actually, the abuse) of the DLC function is what makes me hate it.
    (i.e the way big developers make material for an entire expansionpack, then chop that up in 10+ pieces and sell each of them for the half the price of the entire expansion as DLCs)

<!--quoteo(post=1808179:date=Nov 21 2010, 09:43 PM:name=Mr. Epic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. Epic @ Nov 21 2010, 09:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808179"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DLC exclusive edition party hats, instant money.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Partyhats and squirtguns! :D
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808150:date=Nov 21 2010, 02:52 PM:name=FuzionMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FuzionMonkey @ Nov 21 2010, 02:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The way TF2 has gone with the whole item market... its completely ridiculous. I would hate it if they did something like that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. DLC is a major turn off for me. If you pay for the game, you should get the game and everything it entails, not pay a basic entry fee and get nickle and dimed for perks. It's a trashy move.
  • Cam1Cam1 Join Date: 2004-08-31 Member: 31059Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808271:date=Nov 21 2010, 06:48 PM:name=Pistachio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pistachio @ Nov 21 2010, 06:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808271"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree. DLC is a major turn off for me. If you pay for the game, you should get the game and everything it entails, not pay a basic entry fee and get nickle and dimed for perks. It's a trashy move.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this is a quote from the tf2 blog

One of the interesting side effects of shipping free updates for Team Fortress 2 over the years has been a large and devoted group of people who write us asking if they can simply buy game items directly.

you completely missed the point of tf2s dlc but i hope that clears it up

though there was this part after words

We also get regular feedback from the bean counters on our fourth floor, who -- after watching with tooth-grinding irritation as we shipped over 120 free updates to a three-year-old game -- gently suggested that we "make some f$*&ing money already."

but the main point still stands

link for those who care
    <a href="http://teamfortress.com/post.php?id=4410&p=1" target="_blank">http://teamfortress.com/post.php?id=4410&p=1</a>
  • TyphonTyphon Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 1899Members
    I would totally support <u>purely cosmetic</u> DLC such as different helmets, gun remodels/reskins, etc. but the black armor must remain purely for those who invested in UWE with the special edition.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808271:date=Nov 21 2010, 04:48 PM:name=Pistachio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pistachio @ Nov 21 2010, 04:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808271"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree. DLC is a major turn off for me. If you pay for the game, you should get the game and everything it entails, not pay a basic entry fee and get nickle and dimed for perks. It's a trashy move.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Ya, DLC actually makes me want to buy a game less. Even if I know it's just additional content or aesthetics, I can't help but be bothered by it. An expansion pack is different. It provides a clear and significant addition to your game that you know most everyone that likes the original game will also buy-- and at a relatively fair price (when compared to DLC).

I once played a lot of TF2, but I can't bring myself to start the game anymore. I'm not saying it's the correct position to take (there's a balance) but it affects some people like me.

There are other ways to make some extra money, and I hope they explore those options first.
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808278:date=Nov 21 2010, 07:05 PM:name=Cam1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cam1 @ Nov 21 2010, 07:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808278"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this is a quote from the tf2 blog

One of the interesting side effects of shipping free updates for Team Fortress 2 over the years has been a large and devoted group of people who write us asking if they can simply buy game items directly.

you completely missed the point of tf2s dlc but i hope that clears it up

though there was this part after words

We also get regular feedback from the bean counters on our fourth floor, who -- after watching with tooth-grinding irritation as we shipped over 120 free updates to a three-year-old game -- gently suggested that we "make some f$*&ing money already."

but the main point still stands

link for those who care
    <a href="http://teamfortress.com/post.php?id=4410&p=1" target="_blank">http://teamfortress.com/post.php?id=4410&p=1</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I still think it's trashy. It would be just as easy to take the energy used to make costumes, and instead use it to pump out some real content. Cute hats are not real content, and it's too easy for game developers to omit certain things from a final release in order to sell them off later as "new." I'm sure most of us have been around long enough to see that.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    No DLC please.

Now an "Epic" singleplayer expansion would be interesting.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808293:date=Nov 21 2010, 07:19 PM:name=Typhon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Typhon @ Nov 21 2010, 07:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808293"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would totally support <u>purely cosmetic</u> DLC such as different helmets, gun remodels/reskins, etc. but the black armor must remain purely for those who invested in UWE with the special edition.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i think this is the perfect idea. it retains the "special" part of the special edition armor. after all, i have the SE, and i too would be angered if nubs down the road with daddys money to spend can show up in the same armor. but we dont have to worry, cause UWE already stated that this was their position on the SE armor, so hopefully thats the way it stays :D

<!--quoteo(post=1808307:date=Nov 21 2010, 07:32 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Nov 21 2010, 07:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808307"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now an "Epic" singleplayer expansion would be interesting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    i figured holiday/event hats and other cosmetic stuff would be the only stuff they could make, but i totally forgot how amazingly f-ing awesome that one level of ns_training was. a whole campaign that we could run through with our friends in co-op would prolly make me mess my pants :P

+1 for single player campaign expansion
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    I think UWE should stick with Tripwire's business model:
    Free Gameplay DLC with paid cosmetic DLC. It really works for them and it's a win-win for everyone.
  • SappSapp Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75099Members
    edited November 2010
    I wouldn't mind purely cosmetic DLC for NS2 either and I personally beleive that the TF2 store is fine as it is. You don't have to give them money and if you're so desperate to get one of the unlockable weapons (which are either sidegrades or worse than the originals btw) be patient or craft it. Hell, they even gave us trading capabilities.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    I hate rushing to reply but this pisses me ...

Why are gamers so bloody keen to pay and pay and pay ?
    DLC ? yeahyeahyeah! Maps ? yeahyeahyeah! Cosmetic items ? yeahyeahyeah! Expansions ? yeahyeahyeah! Pets ? yeahyeahyeah! Plushies ? yeahyeahyeah!

... and you wonder why theres the likes of Bobby Kotick and his ilk in the industry, you lot are like a bunch of sheep at a wolf convention.

Look at new games these days, the list of special items for pre ordering is getting longer than the wine list in a french resturaunt. What happened to earning the items in the game itself ? NS 1 was made possible because at the time the market fad was to encourage fan participation and mods... how far would NS1 and its fellow mods have got in these days of DLC ridden post sales extra IP exploiting ?

Yeah I heard it before , dont like it dont buy it...you dont have to buy DLC (and the other crap) however it does get in my game... I cant play TF 2 anymore, its like a bloody trade channel in some nameless MMO ... wanna trade my effing stoopid hat for your worthless crates.

I thought it was supporting a developer when you bought thier games.

Sorry about the rant lads but man its sad reading how gamers in various forums seem almost pathetically eager to throw money at the suits , not that Flayra and co are comparable in nature to those expoiters.
  • SappSapp Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75099Members
    I generally understand your viewpoint, but what's the problem with cosmetic stuff (which was the only DLC the consensus of this thread proposed)? It won't give you any advantage, so if you don't want to buy it, leave it without any consequence on your experience. For the developers (and the people who like football helmets for their fades) it would be a nice method of (optional) financial support, though, which is always a good thing in my book.
    <!--quoteo(post=1808379:date=Nov 21 2010, 10:05 PM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Nov 21 2010, 10:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808379"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hate rushing to reply but this pisses me ...

Why are gamers so bloody keen to pay and pay and pay ?
    DLC ? yeahyeahyeah! Maps ? yeahyeahyeah! Cosmetic items ? yeahyeahyeah! Expansions ? yeahyeahyeah! Pets ? yeahyeahyeah! Plushies ? yeahyeahyeah!

... and you wonder why theres the likes of Bobby Kotick and his ilk in the industry, you lot are like a bunch of sheep at a wolf convention.

Look at new games these days, the list of special items for pre ordering is getting longer than the wine list in a french resturaunt. What happened to earning the items in the game itself ? NS 1 was made possible because at the time the market fad was to encourage fan participation and mods... how far would NS1 and its fellow mods have got in these days of DLC ridden post sales extra IP exploiting ?

Yeah I heard it before , dont like it dont buy it...you dont have to buy DLC (and the other crap) however it does get in my game... I cant play TF 2 anymore, its like a bloody trade channel in some nameless MMO ... wanna trade my effing stoopid hat for your worthless crates.

I thought it was supporting a developer when you bought thier games.

Sorry about the rant lads but man its sad reading how gamers in various forums seem almost pathetically eager to throw money at the suits , not that Flayra and co are comparable in nature to those expoiters.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

when you buy a game at a gamestop or eb games the dev's merely get a small % of that when you buy a dlc they get 100% of that, when you buy a game <b>Second hand</b> dev's get nothing

dlc is good when it is implemented in the right way

for ns2 well im not sure i dont mind i plan on buying a game (a second copy) and giving it to some one on the forum
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    DLC that doesn't segment the player base I think is okay.

When a DLC is released that are separate maps for example, this slices the player base into the haves and have not's - players can't all play with each other, you need to halve your server count between DLC and not DLC enabled, etc its a mess (really hate how the BF series does this).

I think there is no harm with UWE toying with DLC in the future that perhaps have different weapon skins or something cosmetic like that to test the waters; it wont upset anyone and people who like that sort of thing can give it a bash.
    <!--quoteo(post=1808396:date=Nov 21 2010, 11:10 PM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Nov 21 2010, 11:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808396"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DLC that doesn't segment the player base I think is okay.

When a DLC is released that are separate maps for example, this slices the player base into the haves and have not's - players can't all play with each other, you need to halve your server count between DLC and not DLC enabled, etc its a mess (really hate how the BF series does this).

I think there is no harm with UWE toying with DLC in the future that perhaps have different weapon skins or something cosmetic like that to test the waters; it wont upset anyone and people who like that sort of thing can give it a bash.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thing is im sure custom skins will come out anyway like they did in ns1 and in counter strike, only difference is that only you see them
  • heWantedMeToChangeMyNameheWantedMeToChangeMyName Join Date: 2009-10-22 Member: 69115Members
    I'd be okay with purely cosmetic DLC, as long as it doesn't get too out of hand. (Ala Tf2)

The <i>last</i> thing I would want is an onos with a kazoo, or something of the sort.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    haha a kazoo, epic. Perhaps he can wear it so that when he does his roar it makes a sound instead.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    personally i think an onos with a tower of hats would look quite dignified.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    Cosmetic DLC would be a great way for them to make some cash on the side. It doesn't have to infiltrate the game like TF2's item trading did.