Development Blog Update - NS2 Closed beta status

Comments

• WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1807910:date=Nov 21 2010, 03:08 AM:name=fireblade)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fireblade @ Nov 21 2010, 03:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807910"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->does this line:

so anyone that's pre-ordered the game can now access it.

mean that i, who have pre - ordered normally now have the black armor?

if so how do i access it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no, you don't get black armor. only special edition preorders get black armor; those who got the 20$ preorder or the 35$ preorder just get access to the closed beta.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    very good post Max
    seriusly good job on the beta and I wish you guys a really nice thanksgiving, recharge and come back to kick @$$ again!
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    edited November 2010
    My very first games today.

Gameplay feels good, I had this little funny feeling that I remember trying to understand NS1 back in the days, with the all new somewhat comfortable feeling of roaming around as a fade and blinking (not to mention that the blink is really nice)

Can't wait for you guys to fix all the networks issues. I know it must be a real pain and I'm no programmer but still can understand that. It needs time but I still am eager to play the game smoothly.

Thumbs up. It is really getting alive now. Very good dedication.

:)
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1807802:date=Nov 20 2010, 07:58 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Nov 20 2010, 07:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807802"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Great write up!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->...cept for all the grammatical errors... o_O<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, that's not like Max so you know he must really be exhausted. I'm sure once they've had some time off to recharge they'll come back more productive - and grammatically correct :-)
  • kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master Australia Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1807913:date=Nov 21 2010, 05:14 PM:name=Violence)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Violence @ Nov 21 2010, 05:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807913"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Connected to a server tonight and played with people for the first time since the alpha release! I wasn't having much luck hitting anything with guns (other people were, I'm just rusty), so I picked up a flame thrower, and WOOOAH buddy is that thing awesome. I cooked a few fades, lots of drone, two dozen eggs, several of those god awful whips and even ninja knifed a hive down with a team mate. Good stuff, I definitely look forward to playing more in the coming weeks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have to say both the flame thrower and grenade launcher are massively op atm.. To make things worse the flame thrower - the second your set on fire your screen goes and stays yellow.. I have no chance to even bother when a flamethrower hits me since all i see is yellow.. Surely the khaara eyeballs arent that flammable?? and the gren launch kills things through walls <_<
  • aliasWarlordaliasWarlord Join Date: 2010-06-09 Member: 71999Members
    THIS GAME... WILL BE... INCREDIBLE!
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    On feature that could help fix the fullscreen bug would be an options allowing to play the game in a window without borders and taking all the screen size like in lot of games ex: wow
  • TherapyFailedTherapyFailed Join Date: 2010-01-10 Member: 70030Members
    Just wanted to say - Thank you for this informative read and Thanks to all that are involved in this game. I wish you a good relaxing vacation.
  • PhaetonPhaeton Join Date: 2008-05-03 Member: 64203Members
    Thanks for the update! I think the comments were much more positive now! Community <3 info.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    You guys did a great job.
    The only Problems i have in the game are now:

1. Connection problem detected (on my OWN server O.o) on like anyserver
    2. Texts bluring (can't read them and don't see image e.g. if im alien and want morph)
    3. Flamethrower to strong and you can't see something if somebody flame you or just a building, you are like a real person who burn but realy you run like a chicken without a head and hope you are safe now.
    4. look 1. lags :( (i saw the infantry portal did a lot of issues with "nextthink" on the server!)
    5. Dedi Server takes a lot of Ram
    6. a minimap for all players if you press M and fix the minimap, if you compare the minimap from <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/static/manual_files/images/interface_minimap.gif" target="_blank">NaSe 1</a> and NaSe 2, you see its hard to see on <a href="http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2010/07/natural-selection-2-commander-view.jpg" target="_blank">NaSe 2</a>.
    But if you could fix these, the beta would be very good playable.

I know all these fixes are a lot of hard work, but its important :)

P.S. please add fast as you can something like a connection BAR (like on Steam with Valve games) or some information.
    If you wait like 3 or 4 minutes without any indentification you think you are not getting connected.
    Servername on the scoreboard.
  • tanatos86tanatos86 Join Date: 2010-05-26 Member: 71860Members
    Thanks again guys! Due to the incredible ammount of information and messages you post for us, this game feels almost as if it is designed for each and every player. Thank you for beeing so honest with us. You aerned a great deal of respect from me!
    I am thinking about buying another copy...
  • korvokorvo Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69427Members, Squad Five Blue
    Thank you Max for posting this information here.

Looks like UWE reads absolutely every thread and comment at getsatisfaction.com :)

<!--quoteo(post=1807761:date=Nov 21 2010, 02:45 AM:name=BarerRudeROC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BarerRudeROC @ Nov 21 2010, 02:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807761"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there any way I can donate? (...)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1807765:date=Nov 21 2010, 02:47 AM:name=minim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (minim @ Nov 21 2010, 02:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807765"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(...) you could always buy more copies and use them for whatever?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Would be a good present for whoever.
  • Cam1Cam1 Join Date: 2004-08-31 Member: 31059Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1807960:date=Nov 21 2010, 04:47 AM:name=eXa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eXa @ Nov 21 2010, 04:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807960"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On feature that could help fix the fullscreen bug would be an options allowing to play the game in a window without borders and taking all the screen size like in lot of games ex: wow<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

im not sure what it is but i know you can do it with TF2 except you do it in steam first its a certin command you put in some where let me find it

upon finding and testing (-noborder) it doesnt work :( worth a shot though!
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    keep up the good work!
    you guys are on the right way!
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    Excellent blog, as always. Love reading what you guys are upto and what's in the near future. Much respect to you guys for making UW/NS2 a reality!
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    I didn't bother playing the Alpha given I could barely get into a server without a tonne of effort, but I knew it was only an alpha so I didn't care very much.

I wasn't expecting much more from the beta for some reason, but you guys have knocked my socks off. It is terrific. I am definitely now feeling the excitement other hardcore ns players have been portraying that up until now I did not share.

The beta isn't even feature complete and I feel like it will definitely be the main game I play from here on out. Keep up the terrific work unknownworlds.

You guys are going to be huge.
  • BigImpBigImp Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75036Members, NS2 Playtester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Thanks a lot, this addresses my concerns! I can't wait till the game becomes a little more stable/playable, I can feel that it's really close and just a few major fixes away. That day will be a great day!!
  • MemnarchMemnarch Join Date: 2010-03-18 Member: 71003Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yes, take some days off and recharge your Batteries.

I have already noticed the great Performance/visual improvements(shadows looking better ;) ).
    ITs promising and shows your spending your whole time on it.

And maybe a typicall effect will occur if you get back to work:
    'Ah, so resume working and..wth did we do at this part of the code? Can be done much better with this..and this.. oh and here THIS and this...'

At least something i know from my Sparetime programming :D

Have some nice days, you deserve it UWE :)

Greets
    Memnarch
  • saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    Great job guys! Make sure Max limits himself to 3 cups of coffee a day okay?
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1807936:date=Nov 21 2010, 02:51 AM:name=Warmonger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Warmonger @ Nov 21 2010, 02:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807936"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah, that's not like Max so you know he must really be exhausted. I'm sure once they've had some time off to recharge they'll come back more productive - and grammatically correct :-)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That is pretty much what I was thinking.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    Informative post, thanks Max.

I think you shouldn't work too much if you are ill. Rest is a good thing. One of my friends didn't stop his routines for a fever and it lasted for months. Usually I rest until I got no fever. It may make you feel unproductive but usually it pays in the end. Well, I hope you get better.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807761:date=Nov 20 2010, 09:45 PM:name=BarerRudeROC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BarerRudeROC @ Nov 20 2010, 09:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807761"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is there any way I can donate?
    You guys deserve a lot more for all the work you put in.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Buy a couple more copies and give them to your friends as gifts.

You support the devs, insure fun times in the future with friends, and your buds now owe you something so you can expect something in return :D
  • FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment San Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
    Thanks so much for the <3 everyone.

After all this time without a game, I too, am excited that it finally feels like a real game. It's amazing to see the shift from all technical issues to technical issues and gameplay issues like "the flamethrower is so totally OP it makes kittehs cry". That's an incredible thing from my perspective.

With <b>your help</b>, this will be huge. We'll get it all fixed and make this game SO awesome.
  • gerryisonfyagerryisonfya Join Date: 2007-11-04 Member: 62826Members
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, finally got to play the beta!

Even I only have a HD 4200 IGP and can just play on low grafik and 800 x 600 pixel with 15 FPS xD. Most Servers where full or there was a connection problem. One was good but you couldn't play marines 'cause the Spawn field was destroyed and nobody restarted the server. But I could play all the alien classes/Alien Commander and it was really fun. Keep up the good work!

PS: Will buy a HD 6850 soon, when game is ready :D
    PPS: Ah and I've had problems to read the chat, because of the loe resoultion. But could read it in the console
  • wesmanwesman Join Date: 2010-03-17 Member: 70990Members
    Great update. You gus are the first developers I've ever seen that actually CARE about the community and the game. It amazes me how personal your responses are, and I can tell you've actually listened to a good thousand whiny players.

Keep up the good work! you guys are truly amazing!
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1807958:date=Nov 21 2010, 09:45 AM:name=kyliegirl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kyliegirl @ Nov 21 2010, 09:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807958"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have to say both the flame thrower and grenade launcher are massively op atm.. To make things worse the flame thrower - the second your set on fire your screen goes and stays yellow.. I have no chance to even bother when a flamethrower hits me since all i see is yellow.. Surely the khaara eyeballs arent that flammable?? and the gren launch kills things through walls <_<<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, flamethrower balance and effects are very much WIP, as well as the grenade launchers. The fire on the screen is definitely a problem and will be addressed soon.

--Cory
  • PekermanPekerman Join Date: 2010-03-07 Member: 70876Members
    khaara eyeballs are not flammable but you see through your mouth
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    Is that a front side bus?
  • ClamchopClamchop Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75139Members
    I've been looking forward to this game since the announcement that there would be a sequel. I was really excited back when the dynamic infestation video was released back when it was still being developed on Source. When I saw that you guys had scrapped the source engine and started programming your own I was a big skeptical but seeing how awesome it looked in later videos that skepticism was erased.

I pre-ordered yesterday when I saw on RockPaperShotgun that anyone (under 10k limit) would get access to the beta. I had some problems yesterday with lag and not being able to connect. Despite these problems that pretty much made the game unplayable, it's refreshing to see this kind of response and community interaction from a group of developers. It's clear you guys have a passion for this and I don't regret dropping $35 to help fund this project at all. I'm looking forward to seeing what future updates and improvements bring to the game.

Keep up the good work guys and don't get discouraged. I think most of the people pointing out problems genuinely want the game to succeed.
  • levelelevele Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61978Members
    I just played about 10 minutes on a server before it crashed, but I must say that this game is coming out to be a REAL treat to play. Once the really major issue (server crashing and lag with +8 players) is resolved, I think everybody will be MUCH more optimistic about the final outcome of this game. Early on I had my doubts, but now it looks like you guys are making progress by leaps and bounds, and from this post, it is obvious that your current focus is where the community wants it to be.

I think this game is going to be fantastic when it is released. To be completely honest, even with the majorly awesome games like SC2, Diablo 3, Black Ops etc, I cannot see myself playing those games over NS2, which has unbeatable replay value due to the innovative game-play.

Keep up the good work guys!