Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 closed beta released...and how we got here

Comments

• BigImpBigImp Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75036Members, NS2 Playtester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I for one wish you would stop implementing new features, the Onos, etc. until the game is PLAYABLE. Right now this is how connecting works:

85% of the time: server full/connection fails
    10% of the time: connection made. connection lost less than 1 minute after spawning in ready room.
    5% of the time: connection made. connection lost less than 3 minutes after spawning in game.

There are a lot of elements from a game in there, but right now NS2 is not a game. A game is something you can play. You can't play NS2 right now. Fix that first, worry about making it a more complete game later. Besides, you might end up rewriting a lot of stuff to optimize the engine... the sooner you do it the less work overall, IMO.
  • FragDoofusFragDoofus Join Date: 2005-01-17 Member: 36115Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1807129:date=Nov 19 2010, 04:49 PM:name=Muhownage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Muhownage @ Nov 19 2010, 04:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Blink Direction you come out is the direction to the nearest Marine found. Or better it should be like that. Thats why you have weird Directions sometimes

The Key hes trying to active is the "alpha access" key. he firsts need to enter the normal NS2 Key. If he doesnt have the Key for some reason <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/retrieve" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/retrieve</a> should help him.

if he then is still not able to register the key heres a topic with more information about it:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=110620" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=110620</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you so much, this problem is solved. I suppose I should've crawled the forums a bit more before posting some of what I said. I found a post on hosting a dedicated server, and another post on retrieving NS2 keys. Your post was also helpful.

And 6john, I will try this, thank you for the heads up.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807133:date=Nov 20 2010, 12:58 AM:name=BigImp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigImp @ Nov 20 2010, 12:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807133"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I for one wish you would stop implementing new features, the Onos, etc. until the game is PLAYABLE. Right now this is how connecting works:

10% of the time: connection made. connection lost less than 1 minute after spawning in ready room.
    5% of the time: connection made. connection lost less than 3 minutes after spawning in game.

There are a lot of elements from a game in there, but right now NS2 is not a game. A game is something you can play. You can't play NS2 right now. Fix that first, worry about making it a more complete game later. Besides, you might end up rewriting a lot of stuff to optimize the engine... the sooner you do it the less work overall, IMO.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From what Iv heard the 'game' elements and the engine are largely decoupled. So while someone else writes LUA script for the implementations of new features, Max can sift through the engine code and fix things there. So its silly to tell the other members of the team to sit idly while a few of them work feverishly on engine code.
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Question to Max<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    and please dont take this the wrong way, am not a programmer nor am I telling you how to do your job, but I was thinking about this today and wanted to know if its possible.
    can you borrow the netcode from an open source engine like the quake engine? at least for the time being untill you get things sorted out.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The lack of a max player count in the server list is really really really annoying. Should be fixed before anything else IMO...
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I don't think the netcode is something you can rip out and replace with something from a completely different game.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1807155:date=Nov 20 2010, 12:32 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Nov 20 2010, 12:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807155"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think the netcode is something you can rip out and replace with something from a completely different game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Monty Python could do that
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1807150:date=Nov 19 2010, 07:28 PM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Nov 19 2010, 07:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Question to Max<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    and please dont take this the wrong way, am not a programmer nor am I telling you how to do your job, but I was thinking about this today and wanted to know if its possible.
    can you borrow the netcode from an open source engine like the quake engine? at least for the time being untill you get things sorted out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Speaking as a programmer, I can go ahead and confirm that this is not possible/feasible.
  • thor294thor294 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75039Members
    I am having connection issues. I am happy I can get into beta, but I cant even play the game :(
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807170:date=Nov 19 2010, 07:50 PM:name=thor294)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thor294 @ Nov 19 2010, 07:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807170"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am having connection issues. I am happy I can get into beta, but I cant even play the game :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you check the pivotal tracker I believe you'll find that the worst of these will be resolved soon. The "Connection problem detected" waiting-room freeze problem, on the other hand, is mostly caused by inadequate server hardware and/or an overly-optimistic player limit. Servers really do need to be optimized a bit more in the short and long term, but for now you should be able to find one with some better hardware and/or that isn't crashing due to memory leaks and hydra/turret spam.
  • thor294thor294 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75039Members
    I see that! very cool. I hope its fixed soon, im itching to play
  • BluapexBluapex Join Date: 2010-09-26 Member: 74190Members
    How do you get into beta? I ordered this game a few weeks ago and I have a receipt from papal, But I don't believe I connected it with my steam account.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1807185:date=Nov 19 2010, 09:06 PM:name=Bluapex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bluapex @ Nov 19 2010, 09:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807185"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How do you get into beta? I ordered this game a few weeks ago and I have a receipt from papal, But I don't believe I connected it with my steam account.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

they sent you a code to your email, activate it on steam.
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    Hopped on to play a game, and my server crashed in ten minutes. It was just supremely laggy :\
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807167:date=Nov 20 2010, 01:49 AM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ Nov 20 2010, 01:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Speaking as a programmer, I can go ahead and confirm that this is not possible/feasible.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thanks for the answear
  • imasillypiggyimasillypiggy Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71672Members
    edited November 2010
    Help for some reason when I try to start the game it makes my screen go all staticy, I even redownloaded it and it is still doing this and when I close ns2 its still all static to the point were I cant see a thing and have to restart my computer. Is anyone else getting this problem?
  • OngreOngre Join Date: 2009-02-05 Member: 66309Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807207:date=Nov 20 2010, 02:44 AM:name=imasillypiggy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (imasillypiggy @ Nov 20 2010, 02:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Help for some reason when I try to start the game it makes my screen go all staticy, I even redownloaded it and it is still doing this and when I close ns2 its still all static to the point were I cant see a thing and have to restart my computer. Is anyone else getting this problem?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Maybe you got a graphic card that just makes the game crash on launch, if I'm right, you can see this issue is being investigated on the progress page : <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/progress" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/progress</a>
  • SparkTRSparkTR Join Date: 2007-02-09 Member: 59913Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I was playing in a 6 man server and I realised I could actually shoot things now, that's always a good sign. Looking forward to new releases.
  • CrowCrow Melbourne Join Date: 2003-01-16 Member: 12376Members
    edited November 2010
    Voted -> nice vid NS2HD. Very lame, but I wouldn't have vote otherwise. ;)

Btw, I do prefer to watch you play the game than on my own computer. Show us more of the in-game fade please!

Oh and btw, nice work UWE - keep it up. Sleep, then push on.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    Go go Unknown Worlds! Unknown Worlds Fighting!
  • Paul-HewsonPaul-Hewson Join Date: 2008-02-25 Member: 63737Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Cool for you, i am a constellation member and also pre-order of special edition but i am sad to see that you lost the NS soul somewhere in your long way to here.

I will wait until the version 1.0, but i am pretty sure i will not play this game anymore. Bots everywhere, marines self serviced by their own. Lots of fun disappeared just because of these 2 things for me.
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1806992:date=Nov 19 2010, 12:27 PM:name=dnleech)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dnleech @ Nov 19 2010, 12:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806992"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1 for a donation system, rewards or no rewards. I'm completely enthralled with the development of this game and I visit the site several times a day for any tidbits of news that surfaces. I've encouraged a couple of my friends to pre-order and I hope that you guys get an awesome response from the Joystiq article. Frankly, you all deserve it through and through.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm really not understanding all this push for allowing donations. If you want to donate more, but another copy of the game and gift it to a friend.
  • Silencer91Silencer91 Join Date: 2009-03-13 Member: 66728Members
    The beta is better than what was there before. It's still unplayable, but better.
    Hope you figure out the true source of all this horrendous lag, random hickups and connection interruptions soon.
  • WarmongerWarmonger Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13126Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1807133:date=Nov 19 2010, 04:58 PM:name=BigImp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigImp @ Nov 19 2010, 04:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807133"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I for one wish you would stop implementing new features, the Onos, etc. until the game is PLAYABLE. Right now this is how connecting works:

There are a lot of elements from a game in there, but right now NS2 is not a game. A game is something you can play. You can't play NS2 right now. Fix that first, worry about making it a more complete game later. Besides, you might end up rewriting a lot of stuff to optimize the engine... the sooner you do it the less work overall, IMO.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    While I agree with your sentiment that it can be frustrating when trying to join a server, what you're asking just isn't realistic. The person who is creating the gameplay and the people creating the engine / network code are separate. If Flayra stopped adding new gameplay elements it would not assist Max and company in getting the engine issues sorted out quicker.
  • chisschiss Join Date: 2008-06-05 Member: 64395Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1807090:date=Nov 20 2010, 08:39 AM:name=BluePhish)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BluePhish @ Nov 20 2010, 08:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807090"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I bought 3 of my friends the SE for X-Mas last year :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

BluePhish!!!?

"...and that leaves me. Yo comm, ######' scanner sweeeep!"

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4AC1C0X0Nk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4AC1C0X0Nk</a>

On topic, i bought SE for many friends too :) Whether they play or not, i'm not fussed. Just happy to support UWE.
  • ZupE891ZupE891 Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67623Members
    can u come out with a separate version that doesn't have everything in it but is playable? so we can at least f around
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The other big change you'll probably notice from our previous versions is improved performance on both the client and the server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seems worse than 154. I see the following:

<!--quoteo(post=1807172:date=Nov 20 2010, 08:52 AM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ Nov 20 2010, 08:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807172"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you check the pivotal tracker I believe you'll find that the worst of these will be resolved soon. The "Connection problem detected" waiting-room freeze problem, on the other hand, is mostly caused by inadequate server hardware and/or an overly-optimistic player limit. Servers really do need to be optimized a bit more in the short and long term, but for now you should be able to find one with some better hardware and/or that isn't crashing due to memory leaks and hydra/turret spam.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But what if the server is empty? I still couldn't connect to a 90 ping server. Then, right after that I tried to make a LAN game and it timed out to that. Exited the game, tried again, and it was fine. It seems like theres a bug in that, if I can't connect at one point, then I would have to reload/restart to try again!

Also, Fade is hella fun, but sometimes the model blinks and faces backwards, instead of forwards (reverse from the destination I intended). It would be nice if we could hold control or shift while blinking to blink facing backwards, that way we can blink behind a target, then attack with a sneaky stab - instead of being a random bug.

Also, I can blink up into some closed-off vents where there are spinning fans, after this, I am either stuck, or can blink outside the level and then back in again, at a very far distance where ever I can place the blink 'model'.

e.g. in tram, the skylight? where you can look out at the refinery, theres a vent for skulks, and a power grid, near/above is a closed vent with a spinning fan, I was trying to blink into the vent (which is difficult, because the model doesn't crouch yet - which would be required to fit in there) then I was in above the fan inside the vent! I could then blink to the long tram tunnel a fair bit away.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1807370:date=Nov 20 2010, 03:24 AM:name=resresres)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (resresres @ Nov 20 2010, 03:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807370"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, Fade is hella fun, but sometimes the model blinks and faces backwards, instead of forwards (reverse from the destination I intended). It would be nice if we could hold control or shift while blinking to blink facing backwards, that way we can blink behind a target, then attack with a sneaky stab - instead of being a random bug.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

great idea. i'm often disoriented by the blink changing orientation too.
  • thecowsaysmoothecowsaysmoo Join Date: 2008-02-02 Member: 63557Members
    YEs YEs YEs!!! so how about something special for the pre-order beta guys? like a smiling grin gorge :)
  • ZupE891ZupE891 Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67623Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807397:date=Nov 20 2010, 05:07 AM:name=thecowsaysmoo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (thecowsaysmoo @ Nov 20 2010, 05:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807397"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->YEs YEs YEs!!! so how about something special for the pre-order beta guys? like a smiling grin gorge :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

how about a cheaper price?