Build 155 Released

Comments

• 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    I've had problems connecting with both build 154 and 155. Even get "connection problem detected" on LAN
  • KylegarKylegar Join Date: 2008-07-27 Member: 64712Members
    edited November 2010
    This being beta and all, when do us standard edition folks get access? NS2 hasn't updated yet

edit: Just updated...awesome
  • Iced_EagleIced_Eagle Borg Engineer Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14218Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806697:date=Nov 19 2010, 02:59 AM:name=1stToast)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1stToast @ Nov 19 2010, 02:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806697"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've had problems connecting with both build 154 and 155. Even get "connection problem detected" on LAN<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In cases where you can't connect to listen servers, restart the client. I've found that works for me.
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    edited November 2010
    First impressions: much better. However, server lag is still quite bad -- players jump around a lot. Also some missing textures. Old ones got fixed, new ones popped up.

The most annoying PERSISTENT GLITCH that has NOT BEEN FIXED IN ANY PATCH is the looping rifle fire noise. It only happens on well-populated servers. Some kind of bizarre latency thing, but the looping rifle fire noise is REALLY irritating. I'd rate it as the single most grating issue.

It seems like the sound event is "sticking" in the air where it triggered. If I move away from where I fired the rifle, I hear the sound getting more distant while it continues to loop.
  • EldonEldon Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72414Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1806704:date=Nov 19 2010, 09:09 PM:name=Iced_Eagle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Iced_Eagle @ Nov 19 2010, 09:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806704"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In cases where you can't connect to listen servers, restart the client. I've found that works for me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I had the same, restarting client fixed it!
  • sickboysickboy Join Date: 2003-09-13 Member: 20804Members, Constellation
    Hooboy.. just had my first real match. Was actually quite fun (and the fade is pure sex). Still a lot of work left, but that was the first time I've had fun in the game. Can't frickin WAIT for dynamic infestation (assuming it's still planned).
  • _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
    GW. Just had a quick game. Much smoother.

and Fade is ###### epic lol
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    i honestly wasnt expecting to see NS2 move to beta until it was fully working and the sides just need balancing. I have been palying quite a few indie projects and usually moving quickly without actually making the game stable is usually a sign of either a funding shortage or a disaster at release.

hope im wrong here though :)
  • meh`meh` Join Date: 2009-03-10 Member: 66691Members
    A vast improvement, the hit reg is pretty good, it is no longer stuttering/laggy, and my fps has gotten high enough to where I can actually have fun. Connecting to a server can be a bit of a ##### though, and I time out after awhile when I finally find one (although its starting to sound like a server side issue)
  • BloodhouseBloodhouse Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72369Members
    This is the first build where I've had connection issues. Getting to the rr of the server takes 3-4 minutes longer than it used to and joining a team....well I gave up after 10mins of freeze.

+1 for a better server browser too
    <!--quoteo(post=1806721:date=Nov 19 2010, 03:53 AM:name=Bloodhouse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bloodhouse @ Nov 19 2010, 03:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is the first build where I've had connection issues. Getting to the rr of the server takes 3-4 minutes longer than it used to and joining a team....well I gave up after 10mins of freeze.

+1 for a better server browser too<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A lot of this is because players are constantly hammering servers. Give it a day or two for more servers to come up and for players to stop hammering the servers.
  • Hot CoffeeHot Coffee Join Date: 2010-11-03 Member: 74744Members, Constellation
    I guess I lucked out but connecting to a server took like 10 seconds for me, it went fine. Had a small game with some actual skirmishes going on, it was pretty fun even if we were just messing around. Server crashed after a few minutes though.

I decided to fire up a LAN game since the Fade has been getting so much praise; I wanted to try it out. I love the new blink, it's completely different than NS1 but feels so much more fun and vastly superior. I feel like fades will be feared again rather than be cannon fodder for marines with good/quick aim.

Overall, I think the patch delivered on promised server-side improvements and the Fade. The gameplay is really starting to take shape now!
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Game is currently unavailable ;__;
  • saikosaiko Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60588Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806721:date=Nov 19 2010, 04:53 PM:name=Bloodhouse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bloodhouse @ Nov 19 2010, 04:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806721"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is the first build where I've had connection issues. Getting to the rr of the server takes 3-4 minutes longer than it used to and joining a team....well I gave up after 10mins of freeze.

+1 for a better server browser too<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

HLSW is always an option.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    Messed around for a bit, this build was quite playable compared to the previous releases. It wasn't on a large server (3v3 most of the time I was on), and I saw a steady, fluid 35-40 fps. The fade is awesome to play (you don't need cheats to get it btw, just need to earn a bit of res first)

I must say I'm impressed with this release so far.
  • NarcilNarcil Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41426Members
    server still crashes with 5+ people.

Much more improved however and a lot more features included.

I also noticed that leap has returned to a skulk starting ability, and at the same time the whip has an upgrade called "running leap", so i wonder if this was the finished decision over leap starting/upgrade
    <!--quoteo(post=1806743:date=Nov 19 2010, 05:22 AM:name=Narcil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Narcil @ Nov 19 2010, 05:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806743"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->server still crashes with 5+ people.

Much more improved however and a lot more features included.

I also noticed that leap has returned to a skulk starting ability, and at the same time the whip has an upgrade called "running leap", so i wonder if this was the finished decision over leap starting/upgrade<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've heard of people playing this build with 14 players. It really depends on what those players are doing. If they're spamming turrets and hydras, then the server is going to crash because of that, not the amount of players.
  • Hot CoffeeHot Coffee Join Date: 2010-11-03 Member: 74744Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1806746:date=Nov 19 2010, 06:28 AM:name=Iced_Eagle)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Iced_Eagle @ Nov 19 2010, 06:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806746"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've heard of people playing this build with 14 players. It really depends on what those players are doing. If they're spamming turrets and hydras, then the server is going to crash because of that, not the amount of players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

seconded. I don't think I've seen a single Gorge player who didn't immediately drop 10 hydras as soon as he was done gestating.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The question is, should 10 hydras crash a server? Why is the load so high only after a few models are added.

Don't hate for the comparison - L4D has like 50+ zombies at times, and can easily run that many NPCs.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806750:date=Nov 19 2010, 10:53 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Nov 19 2010, 10:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806750"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The question is, should 10 hydras crash a server? Why is the load so high only after a few models are added.

Don't hate for the comparison - L4D has like 50+ zombies at times, and can easily run that many NPCs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's all about the headcount ;)
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1806750:date=Nov 19 2010, 06:53 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Nov 19 2010, 06:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806750"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The question is, should 10 hydras crash a server? Why is the load so high only after a few models are added.

Don't hate for the comparison - L4D has like 50+ zombies at times, and can easily run that many NPCs.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't agree with hydra spam crashing the server, I'm just saying that could be why they are crashing. Consider that it was impossible to have a smooth 1v1 until very recently. I don't expect the game to handle a ton of buildings being spammed without some more work. Hopefully then Gorges can resume laming up rooms and hallways, a la OC spam.
  • kallethkalleth Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2574Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806624:date=Nov 19 2010, 07:27 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Nov 19 2010, 07:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806624"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Btw, leap isn't "borked", it's a feature!

Skulks with full offensive leap are just way too powerful in the beginning of the game. However, it's nice to have leap to get up onto things and to generally feel "skulky".

So the new basic leap all skulks have works well when you're still, but doesn't do much when you're moving. So you can do standing jumps. When you upgrade leap with Hive Mass and the Leap upgrade, leap is back to it's full power when you're running, so it helps a lot in combat.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't understand how you can call this a Beta - you still have SO MANY OBVIOUS BUGS.

Rifle fire looping sound.
    ~444mb of audio memory, seriously?
    Text chat overlays the name of the person chatting.
    Players location is stated at the end of a GLOBAL say message.
    Hit reg is still properly, properly destroyed - can't hit a thing! (And no, that's not -just- my aim)

I will admit that this is better than some of the alphas i've tried, but this is five minutes of me messing around in a server that found all of these. And most of them - see the text chat - are really bloody obvious and really simple to fix, but make your game seem completely unpolished.

Not a pre-alpha, but still definitely an alpha.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806763:date=Nov 19 2010, 12:30 PM:name=kalleth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalleth @ Nov 19 2010, 12:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806763"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't understand how you can call this a Beta - you still have SO MANY OBVIOUS BUGS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Jeez, I hope this forum doesnt turn into a laymans' argument over the definitions of game dev milestones again, like it was before the alpha was released. The build version says Beta therefore it's a Beta, despite the fact that UW is being "creative with what they release and when." The people compiling the builds decide what is Beta and what isn't not the players.
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    Still rare to see my frame rate get above 20. Still even worse in commander view where it sits at about 10. The server I was tried was better than the previous patches but died eventually.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can't understand how you can call this a Beta - you still have SO MANY OBVIOUS BUGS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They can call it alpha, beta, ugabuga, or yabadabadingdong.

<b>Its not released</b>
    <b>Its closed (not open for everybody)</b>

If u want early access, you buy it now and see how it goes, if you dont - you dont.
    <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Its not like you couldnt get a refund if its not satisfying your needs<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b>

SRSLY, DO YOU RLY CARE ABOUT WHAT THEY CALL IT? GO DO SOMETHING USEFULL.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1806769:date=Nov 19 2010, 01:52 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Nov 19 2010, 01:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806769"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They can call it alpha, beta, ugabuga, or yabadabadingdong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thanks, that made my day :D

And I think you also gave UWE a new idea to get more money with a super dupa special edition giving access to the ugabuga of ns2 after the beta is kinda playable :D
  • kallethkalleth Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2574Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806769:date=Nov 19 2010, 12:52 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Nov 19 2010, 12:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806769"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They can call it alpha, beta, ugabuga, or yabadabadingdong.

<b>Its not released</b>
    <b>Its closed (not open for everybody)</b>

If u want early access, you buy it now and see how it goes, if you dont - you dont.
    <b><!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->Its not like you couldnt get a refund if its not satisfying your needs<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b>

SRSLY, DO YOU RLY CARE ABOUT WHAT THEY CALL IT? GO DO SOMETHING USEFULL.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I care what they call it not because it changes the way I look at the game but because it will change the way other people look at the game from the outside. And I would hope that by reporting a few bugs I'm actually doing something useful, thanks.
    <!--quoteo(post=1806771:date=Nov 19 2010, 12:55 PM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Nov 19 2010, 12:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806771"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks, that made my day :D

And I think you also gave UWE a new idea to get more money with a super dupa special edition giving access to the ugabuga of ns2 after the beta is kinda playable :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

pre-order access to the Lot Check candidates, at least nobody can argue over that milestone definition
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    Ya like everybody is now forced to buy the game because its called beta..., and still if its not a beta like you imagine it YOU CAN GET A REFUND..
    ITS NOT A DEVILISH PLAN to scam you money. Gosh >_>

You know and see they are working hard, updates come nearly weekly... and it plays better and better. I dont see a problem.
    <!--quoteo(post=1806776:date=Nov 19 2010, 01:06 PM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Nov 19 2010, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806776"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ya like everybody is now forced to buy the game because its called beta..., and still if its not a beta like you imagine it YOU CAN GET A REFUND..
    ITS NOT AN DEVILISH PLAN to scam you money. Gosh >_><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I thought they stopped taking refunds a while ago