NS2 is not ready for a Beta

Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
The game is getting to be in a playable state, where lag isn't as big of a problem as it used to be but, the game is still at the very least one month away from being ready for Beta, if not two. I would expect that the Beta would have nearly all lag/networking/playability bug tracked and squashed and as it stands today, I don't feel it is the case. I can only speak of personal experience but even on a 1 vs 1 game the enemy was nearly impossible to hit at best. It is like Skulks gained the new ability to dodge from left to right while still only pressing the forward key. At 3vs3, thats when the lag became unbearable and not only was the enemy jumping around like the ground was on fire, but the client lag increased considerably resulting in 2-3 second delays before any input would be recognized.

I know the rest of the pre-orderers in the Beta are excited and are simply ready for their awesome Beta, and thats fine, I don't want to see them disapointed either, but I'm concerned about what this means. The Alpha feels like it was only a month long... and during the actual time we waited an entire month just for one patch that barely touched the surface of the problems. If the Beta is really out tomorrow (assuming closed beta means for those that pre-ordered) then what does that say about the Release date (NS2 isn't going to be ready for that either)? If only half of your Alpha pre-orderers can actually play NS2 without wanting to throw their monitor out then how many Beta players will enjoy it?

Bottom line, NS2 is not ready for Beta, don't rush things, and fix the Major Engine Issues before moving on into the next phase of development. Do you really think the Fade will actually be playable in an online game at this point?

Comments

• CrazyFarmerCrazyFarmer Join Date: 2010-01-25 Member: 70306Members
    I agree, I'd like to see word from UWE as this is confusing as heck
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806265:date=Nov 18 2010, 12:04 PM:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ Nov 18 2010, 12:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806265"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Omitted-<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As much as I want to play with all the other cool kids, it does seem as though that the game hasn't been optimized much yet just from my observations in this forum. UW, please take your time on this. Set your deadlines, work hard and efficiently of course, but if it's not done... it's not done.
  • Lance_LakeLance_Lake Join Date: 2004-02-10 Member: 26358Members
    Agreed. As for me, I've been without the ability to connect to a server at ALL in the Alpha. I feel it was just a waste of money to jump on this (except for the black armor, but even then). I was hoping to get into a server (even one set up locally) and actually see the game. But all I get is "The server can't connect" messages.

Moving to Beta is NOT a wise move and will probably cause more of a ######storm then just having the beta people wait a bit longer.
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I have a feeling that they are closely running out of money, hence the need to attract more preorders.. if this means that we can have a longer beta phase where the game can be properly polished, then Im all for it.

From a traditional game development point of view I gotta agree though, I dont think NS2 is ready for beta at all.
  • minibananaminibanana Join Date: 2009-09-03 Member: 68682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806277:date=Nov 18 2010, 12:12 PM:name=w0dk4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (w0dk4 @ Nov 18 2010, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806277"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a feeling that they are closely running out of money, hence the need to attract more preorders.. if this means that we can have a longer beta phase where the game can be properly polished, then Im all for it.

From a traditional game development point of view I gotta agree though, I dont think NS2 is ready for beta at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ditto
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    agreed, but if its to get money and a nice game in the end, i'm all for it :)
  • oskurooskuro Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13232Members
    lol.... beta???

<a href="http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/18/natural-selection-2s-closed-beta-starts-tomorrow-new-trailer-t/" target="_blank">http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/18/natural-...-new-trailer-t/</a>

omg.... hope game works fine!
  • Andrew_e1Andrew_e1 Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33331Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    Sadly, I agree.

I've been playing the alpha and that thing that bothers me the most and that IMO, should have been eliminated first since the engine test, is the mouse lag... the game feels nowhere like the original or any other FPS due to that. It feels like im playing it through ONLIVE.

The engine has a weird non traditional way of manifesting lag, which makes it even less playable than lets say, lag on the source or goldsource engine.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    lol, yes!

i think too its far to early.

alpha = feature adding
    beta = everything is in, what needs to be in for the game to be released.
    beta = bugfixing only

always think of that...
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    The good thing is that like 95% ordered the special edition anyway so there won't be many newcomers complaining about an unplayable game :D
  • kr0nikwisd0mkr0nikwisd0m Join Date: 2007-03-11 Member: 60325Members, Constellation
    Alpha users, are you not angry your time is up? You've paid $20 for black armor and limited to no playability in the alpha. Personally, I don't mind the extra $20 but your rushing into a beta that is going to fail in the short term and potentially turn off new players to your game. These issues should be ironed out in the alpha (that's what its for) now instead of deferring them to a later build.

QA Testing is what i do for a living and if this project landed on my desk it would be going "Back to Dev" so fast I'd be questioning their manager on their ability to test the product before releasing known bugs to my environment. Clean your ###### up, don't pass it along for us to get dirty too.. Damn..
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    No, I got my early access, so that's that.
  • revo_phxrevo_phx Join Date: 2010-10-27 Member: 74626Members
    UWE... NS2 is really not ready for Beta yet! For me, the whole Alpha was playable cause i have a PC that can handle it. After each Patch it got a little bit better, but its far away from ready for a Beta...

Maybe you are just holding things back, that we havent seen in the Version you provided us with, but if its the same as we play, than the Beta will definitly fail...
  • Lance_LakeLance_Lake Join Date: 2004-02-10 Member: 26358Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806289:date=Nov 18 2010, 02:29 PM:name=kr0nikwisd0m)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kr0nikwisd0m @ Nov 18 2010, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alpha users, are you not angry your time is up? You've paid $20 for black armor and limited to no playability in the alpha. Personally, I don't mind the extra $20 but your rushing into a beta that is going to fail in the short term and potentially turn off new players to your game. These issues should be ironed out in the alpha (that's what its for) now instead of deferring them to a later build.

QA Testing is what i do for a living and if this project landed on my desk it would be going "Back to Dev" so fast I'd be questioning their manager on their ability to test the product before releasing known bugs to my environment. Clean your ###### up, don't pass it along for us to get dirty too.. Damn..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh... I'm upset.. VERY upset. But they seem to be pushing ahead anyway, so I'm not going to let it upset me enough to get sick over it. I mean, they announced it. What else can I do?

and I used to do QA as well.. Yeah. The issues are a show stopper and it should NOT get to other people (beta) in this state. I seriously think this is going to backfire on them badly.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    Reading it made me feel sick to be honest. I have had 8 hours of play on my NS game, and I guess most of those was lagging, LAN or trying to connect to servers. I can't understand why they want to rush Beta when the forum is FULL of people having connection, framerate and lag issues..

I have been patient but looks like it's not up to the users to exercise more patience. The game itself might fall to natural selection if they keep up this paste..
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    i had no problem putting out the 40 bucks to support the game, but logging in for several minutes after each patch to find out i could still barely test it didn't feel like the exclusive alpha testing the package provided. o well.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited November 2010
    I for one am not angry.
    I never donated for ns1 (playing regularly since day2) and I know what an alpha is.

I think some are entitled to be angry, considering that UWE tries to reach as many players as possible and there are probably a few casual players who don't know what alpha exactly means (plus they didn't explain the downsides of alphatesting in order to get more pre-orders).
    <!--quoteo(post=1806288:date=Nov 18 2010, 08:28 PM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Nov 18 2010, 08:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The good thing is that like 95% ordered the special edition anyway so there won't be many newcomers complaining about an unplayable game :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah, this was way back time... now the ppl could only buy the standard edition for a long time and i bet they did!!!

thx 95 percentage is only decreasing since the moment they closed the availableness of it.

and MAN! i am going to be ULTRA mad, if they start to sell special editions again!

they could sell collectors edition with tshirt, poster, jewel case and everything in a branded metalbox (should cost about 5$ in china :( )
    for 100bucks. they can give em dark blue armor, its okay, but they should never make fun of their biggest supporters! - said that just in case ^^
  • TurtleTurtle Join Date: 2002-10-18 Member: 1540Members
    I guess this is why they put so much into the last patch to try and make servers playable. It was only a bit successful, so unless they have another patch for tomorrow that makes it so a full 16-32 player server can run smoothly, this beta will not go over well.

But hey, but then they'll already have the money from those who bought in.

Sadly, the only good news is, working or not, there's enough content in NS2 to serve as a useful "proof of work" to potential buyers, even though it's far from playable. And unless the NS2 team runs out of money all of sudden, they're dedicated enough to make the game properly in the long run.
  • TrubodasleikjarinnTrubodasleikjarinn Join Date: 2004-05-28 Member: 28967Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1806289:date=Nov 18 2010, 03:29 PM:name=kr0nikwisd0m)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kr0nikwisd0m @ Nov 18 2010, 03:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alpha users, are you not angry your time is up? You've paid $20 for black armor and limited to no playability in the alpha. Personally, I don't mind the extra $20 but your rushing into a beta that is going to fail in the short term and potentially turn off new players to your game. These issues should be ironed out in the alpha (that's what its for) now instead of deferring them to a later build.

QA Testing is what i do for a living and if this project landed on my desk it would be going "Back to Dev" so fast I'd be questioning their manager on their ability to test the product before releasing known bugs to my environment. Clean your ###### up, don't pass it along for us to get dirty too.. Damn..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Personally I didn't pay $20 for some black armor, I paid $20 to support the NS2 development team just like I did when I donated to NS 1.

About the testing part, yes you could probably iron things out during alpha but NS 2 does not have a dedicated testing team and a big part of the game engine is still in development. I have seen AAA game titles when they are 6 months from release, and even then they have a massive amount of engine glitches and performance issues. Then again, it's very unusual for a game to be given to the public in such an early state so we are getting a pretty rare glimpse of what an in-development game is like.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The alpha wasn't very rewarding from a playability perspective but I don't care about that, I would have done it for any silly little perk and the black armor is fine. I'm just concerned because it's obvious to me and pretty much everybody else on this forum that the game is not in a Beta state yet and won't be for at least a few more patches, unless the team has worked miracles in the past two days. I don't know what would be worse: if UWE had to do this for funds to continue development, or if they still think the game is really playable based on internal testing and are oblivious to the outside feedback...
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    I'm going to have to agree with the OP, NS2 is absolutely not ready for beta. I can understand that you obviously have your reasons for pushing ahead with beta but let's be serious here for a second.

A ) Server performance isn't anywhere near close to where it should be

B ) Huge FPS problems persist.

C ) Half of the Kharaa abilities and functionality doesn't exist.

D ) bugs bugs and more bugs.

E ) Balance, or the lack of.

F ) A lot of people can't actually get the game to launch.

G ) A lot of features are missing that will make or break the game.

I'm not angry UWE, just disappointed.
    edited November 2010
    <b><u>without dynamic infestation no beta!</u></b>

sign that pls!
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806304:date=Nov 18 2010, 07:50 PM:name=derWalter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (derWalter @ Nov 18 2010, 07:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806304"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b><u>without dynamic infestation no beta!</u></b>

sign that pls!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No.

DI doesn't need to be in before beta.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1806287:date=Nov 18 2010, 03:27 PM:name=derWalter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (derWalter @ Nov 18 2010, 03:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806287"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->alpha = feature adding
    beta = everything is in, what needs to be in for the game to be released.
    beta = bugfixing only<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^this

NS2 is not ready for Beta. The features aren't all in and functional - not even the player classes are fully functional. I'm totally stoked for the Fade, but the Onos isn't even in the game yet. Jetpacks/exoskeletons aren't even in the game yet. Several alien Chambers aren't even in the game yet. The game still has major performance issues, on top of all that.

UWE has been great using this open development process, but this game isn't ready. I sincerely hope this is not an effort to get emergency money.

I'm also confused - I thought it had way over 10k pre-orders already. Is it just that the *next* 10k get closed beta access on top of that?

All those emotions aside, I've played closed betas before, and many times some content is locked out during the beta. It could very well be that some features weren't working yet. I don't regret giving my money to the NS team, but I'm really unsure about this move. Hope they know what they're doing!
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    TBH, if Dynamic infestation is going to have such an effect on gameplay, environment and netcode, it should be in the beta so it can be playtested properly. Doesnt have to be in the first beta, but early enough before release so that it can be tested properly.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's been confirmed that DI should be in beta eventually, and will be out in some form at release. It won't be right away in the beta, though.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1806303:date=Nov 18 2010, 04:50 PM:name=Revi.uk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Revi.uk @ Nov 18 2010, 04:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm going to have to agree with the OP, NS2 is absolutely not ready for beta. I can understand that you obviously have your reasons for pushing ahead with beta but let's be serious here for a second.

A ) Server performance isn't anywhere near close to where it should be

B ) Huge FPS problems persist.

C ) Half of the Kharaa abilities and functionality doesn't exist.

D ) bugs bugs and more bugs.

E ) Balance, or the lack of.

F ) A lot of people can't actually get the game to launch.

G ) A lot of features are missing that will make or break the game.

I'm not angry UWE, just disappointed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I disagree with D and E, that's exactly what the Beta state is for. Optimizations for FPS, etc. can wait a bit too, as long as it's basically playable (which it pretty much is, sans bugs)...It should be a bit more feature-complete however, and some of the show stoppers still need to be dealt with (limiting the # of players that can join, etc).

Edit: the fade is pretty fun so far...it's already in the game (except for the model), so you can start a local game and access it with cheats
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    edited November 2010
    Well, I simply hope that there is a huuuuuuge beta patch incoming.
    If not I would not understand what makes the game beta now all out of the sudden.

So: gimme that monster-patch :D
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1806306:date=Nov 18 2010, 02:53 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Nov 18 2010, 02:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806306"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->^this

NS2 is not ready for Beta. The features aren't all in and functional - not even the player classes are fully functional. I'm totally stoked for the Fade, but the Onos isn't even in the game yet. Jetpacks/exoskeletons aren't even in the game yet. Several alien Chambers aren't even in the game yet. The game still has major performance issues, on top of all that.

UWE has been great using this open development process, but this game isn't ready. I sincerely hope this is not an effort to get emergency money.

I'm also confused - I thought it had way over 10k pre-orders already. Is it just that the *next* 10k get closed beta access on top of that?

All those emotions aside, I've played closed betas before, and many times some content is locked out during the beta. It could very well be that some features weren't working yet. I don't regret giving my money to the NS team, but I'm really unsure about this move. Hope they know what they're doing!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The features aren't a big deal, that part of the beta definition is negotiable. It would be fine if the game only had lower tier tech but otherwise played well. It's more that a certain level of playability is expected for a beta release, and NS2 simply isn't there yet.

<!--quoteo(post=1806313:date=Nov 18 2010, 03:13 PM:name=Bobby is going home)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bobby is going home @ Nov 18 2010, 03:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806313"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well, I simply hope that there is a huuuuuuge beta patch incoming.
    If not I would not understand what makes the game beta now all out of the sudden.

So: gimme that monster-patch :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    They're not hiding anything, we'll get the Fade and whatever they managed to do in the past few days and that's probably it.
This discussion has been closed.