Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 154 released (Havok, new UI)

Comments

• SamWSamW Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2515Members
    edited November 2010
    I guess valve waits for their least busy time to push patches. around 5-6:00 pm pacific time...

and why is the forums clock so messed up? I had to put -10 to get PDT, and it seems to still be off by 10 minutes
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    NS2 update just released for me; noticable FPS improvement but still a bit jittery every now and then - much better though.

The build # is on the top left of the screen next to 'alpha build'.
  • JimBob_UKJimBob_UK Join Date: 2010-04-09 Member: 71233Members
    Steam just updated NS2 whoot! Im going in, see you all ingame
  • levelelevele Join Date: 2007-08-25 Member: 61978Members
    same here, noticeable FPS improvements, but sudden jittery lag at random moments. looking good so far though!
  • DaveKapDaveKap Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10660Members
    edited November 2010
    Updated. Tried connecting to dev server. "Client and server differ" :(
    Other servers giving me "Couldn't establish connection with server" errors.

C'mon guys. I thought this bug was fixed. :(

Just tried to create my own server... and was told I couldn't establish a connection with the server.

... What?

Finally managed to make a LAN game and played around a little... and then got disconnected from the server. Can someone explain to me how I disconnect from my own server?

Also, hitting F1 doesn't do anything.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    between 38-52 fps playing at 1600x900 and high detail (while encoding a video). on lan tho

nice improvement

oh wait does that make me a fanboy still?
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    "Couldn't establish connection with server" when trying to make a LAN game. Thats pretty bad...

EDIT: Restarted Steam (I didn't at first after the update) and now it works fine.
  • VeNeMVeNeM Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 928Members
    see what happens when you rush to flame? restarting steam has been recommended... how long now?
  • MartinMartin Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73229Members
    Server.exe is crashing for me under load, I'm reinstalling the whole game to see if that fixes it. I was getting at least 4 connections right when the game started.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Am I the only one where GUI stuff is huge? (i.e, scoreboard, text, health/armor display) My resolution is set at 1920 x 1080 but everything seems so huge. Also I feel like there's been a decline in the lighting effects. I'm starting to see lines of shadows (for example when the MAC is doing his usual fly-by on the main menu)

I'm using a 470GTX. First time I've seen this.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    I get 30-60fps now in a lan game i haven't been able to connect to a server yet.
  • bannybanny Join Date: 2009-09-05 Member: 68703Members
    restart steam doesn't change anything i can only play on joe server, but too many people, i think it's because it's the only server realy playable the other get the "Couldn't establish connection with server"
    Managed to connect to the server Flayra was on, got disconnected as soon as I got into the ready room. What is up with the random disconnects? Game has gone back to unplayable now. :(
    I'm getting a lot of client server different version errors :/
  • EldonEldon Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72414Members, Constellation
    Seems nicer when I host a game but as with others I can't connect to any servers yet.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    yeah, lots of "can't establish connection with server" or version mismatch. It was working for a little while though.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    getting a lot of server crashes. initial thoughts: huge fps boost with r_shadows false. Went from 25-35 in ready room to 45-55. With r_shadows on, get worse performance than before. Lighting seems different, objects more detailed? Texture problems in parts of ns_tram, by the first alien expansion. Shadows look weird, fuzzier. I'm not sure what kind of filter is in effect but it looks...weird.
    Yeah its impossible to get in a game i think the servers are getting flooded since there are only a hand full and probably hundreds of people try to get on them.
  • EldonEldon Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72414Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    Again, as with others I'm having intermittent trouble hosting my own game too.

Worked once, failed twice (Can't establish connection with server message).
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    edited November 2010
    yeah I just tried that, I can't make my own local server it fails to connect. Strange that the it all worked for a while and now totally stopped.

edit- another try and the local connect worked fine.

Also the performance is WAY better. At awful setting and r_shadows off its >60fps in all settings but huge detailed rooms where they drop to around 40. This is approaching the level of performance necessary for actual gameplay, and its a huge step forward as compared to the steps from previous patches.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    reinstalling game, got a whole bunch of couldn't connects.
  • _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
    Had the same issue. Seemed to fix after I restarted steam.

I was getting weird lighting and texture flickering. Strafing lines across the screen etc.

Seemed to fix itself when I disabled crossfire, just using one 5870.
    Finally connected to the server Flayra was on, apparently Max is trying to fix the connection problem right now, though there's obviously no guarantee the fix will be out tonight or tomorrow. From what I got to play, framerates have shot through the roof. Looks like that occlusion culling bug was indeed a big one. Now they just need to lock down netcode and we're in business for the rest of the Alpha test.
  • _Thresh__Thresh_ Join Date: 2008-01-11 Member: 63385Members
    **the flicker continued with one 5870 running

r_shadows false made the flicker stop

cheers for the tip
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    very cool - much much smoother - something else feels different about the game too (in a good way)

the way the lights strobe when the powernode is getting attacked or near death makes me really sleepy lol, would it be possible to make it so that only some lights flicker, some strobe, some stay normal (randomly in the room)
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    Soooooo.... can't read 5+ pages of ppl talking about havok etc
    Can anyone say if the FPS has improved? anyone gone from 12fps to 30 or more since this new patch?
    And, has the "using the alien buy menu removes the alien UI" bug been fixed too?

<3
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fps has improved, although there is some networking issues atm. With me at least.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The FPS is decent on paper now, running around alone shooting eggs etc I never dip below 20 now. The game always feels like it's running at half that though, there seem to be a lot of skipped frames and stuttering that isn't reflected in the number at all. Sometimes it chugs heavily but most of the time it's just an underlying stuttering. Also changing the resolution and settings from minimum to maximum makes relatively little difference, I think you guys should figure out some more effective ways to down-tweak the settings.
  • linfosomalinfosoma Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67523Members
    I... (pause) think... (pause) there are... (pause) some... (pause) serious... (hitch) stuttering... (pause) issues with the... (pause) game.
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    Made a server, no issues to report there. Disconnected, went and made a LAN server, ran some fraps benchmarks. I can say that occlusion has been fixed, as in the ready room if I stand up against a back wall and look at a wall across the room, I get 32fps. I walk face first into the wall, that shoots up to 46fps. Previously, there would be no change in FPS if I planted my face into a wall as opposed to looking at a more difficult scene.

Overall fps seems to be much higher, but there is a lot of frame stuttering that is dragging my average fps down to build 153 levels. The game feels much faster but the stuttering is pretty bad.

No network issues to speak of yet. I noticed all weapon sounds play twice. Also, muzzle flash doesn't come from the tip of your gun if you're strafing.