Natural Selection 2 News Update - The Flamethrower

Comments

• Empire state skulkEmpire state skulk Join Date: 2010-02-05 Member: 70437Members
    This FlameThrower is going to own the aliens hard but i gotta say NS2 Team, because the marines have got all these cool gadgets and stuff and the aliens barely have any good weapons so they can defeat the marines easily, so u have got to make a weapon that the aliens can use so they kill about 5 marines in a instant because the flamethrower can kill that egg in less than 2 seconds and we would get bored of the marines keep on winning over and over again. so can u plz give the aliens a weapon or a ability so the odds r even on both teams, thank you!
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo(post=1800576:date=Oct 2 2010, 06:37 AM:name=Empire state skulk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Empire state skulk @ Oct 2 2010, 06:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800576"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This FlameThrower is going to own the aliens hard but i gotta say NS2 Team, because the marines have got all these cool gadgets and stuff and the aliens barely have any good weapons so they can defeat the marines easily, so u have got to make a weapon that the aliens can use so they kill about 5 marines in a instant because the flamethrower can kill that egg in less than 2 seconds and we would get bored of the marines keep on winning over and over again. so can u plz give the aliens a weapon or a ability so the odds r even on both teams, thank you!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In before Fade.
  • reasareasa Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8010Members, Constellation
    This looks awesome, honestly, fantastic work. The reactions of the structures are the kinds of details that make a good game great. I cannot wait to see how you perfect this fantastic working concept.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1800576:date=Oct 1 2010, 11:37 PM:name=Empire state skulk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Empire state skulk @ Oct 1 2010, 11:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800576"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This FlameThrower is going to own the aliens hard but i gotta say NS2 Team, because the marines have got all these cool gadgets and stuff and the aliens barely have any good weapons so they can defeat the marines easily, so u have got to make a weapon that the aliens can use so they kill about 5 marines in a instant because the flamethrower can kill that egg in less than 2 seconds and we would get bored of the marines keep on winning over and over again. so can u plz give the aliens a weapon or a ability so the odds r even on both teams, thank you!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's a good thing they've got you to teach them how to balance a game.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800579:date=Oct 2 2010, 07:15 AM:name=WatchMaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WatchMaker @ Oct 2 2010, 07:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a good thing they've got you to teach them how to balance a game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hahhaha, well said.

Thanks Devs for the update - we NEEDED it (picture 1000 addicts rolling around in a dark alley raking through bins to find some drugs - that was NS2 fans for the past few weeks)

The flame thrower is fine it does the job and looks functional.
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Flamethrower better have a pretty serious effect on movement speed if it's going to rape.
  • SajSaj Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12936Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    The structures looks like they are dancing, BRILLIANT! :D
  • KarrdeKarrde Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16264Members
    Dat Hive. Seriously, that was just creepy as hell. With finished FX....god that will be scary.
  • TheckTheck Join Date: 2010-02-17 Member: 70611Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800521:date=Oct 1 2010, 11:55 PM:name=SN.Wolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SN.Wolf @ Oct 1 2010, 11:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800521"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wait a minute, isn't the whole purpose of HD and physics to add more realism to games?

Hmmm, i better send off an alert to nvidia that we want graphics and animations like Dig-Dug and PitFall.

Not flaming your post, just pointing out that you re-posted the same quote when the whole game industry is focused on realism and player immersion into a virtual world. I'm sure UWE wants a level of realism that makes people to wake up screeming i'm on fire, where's a gorge!?!?!?

Then the wife slaps the since back into them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->But there's a difference between realism and simulation, realism it's about making beliable, simulation it's about imitate the real world.

In my opinion, for NS2, the gameplay balance haves to be more important, and if doing something more real affects gameplay, it has to be cut.
  • DecipherDecipher Join Date: 2003-06-19 Member: 17512Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800576:date=Oct 2 2010, 12:37 AM:name=Empire state skulk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Empire state skulk @ Oct 2 2010, 12:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800576"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This FlameThrower is going to own the aliens hard but i gotta say NS2 Team, because the marines have got all these cool gadgets and stuff and the aliens barely have any good weapons so they can defeat the marines easily, so u have got to make a weapon that the aliens can use so they kill about 5 marines in a instant because the flamethrower can kill that egg in less than 2 seconds and we would get bored of the marines keep on winning over and over again. so can u plz give the aliens a weapon or a ability so the odds r even on both teams, thank you!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You ever been alien comm?
    I think they have a wide array of new skills, they commander had about 5 things around the menu and 3 hive upgrades.
    Given that the marines have really only got a couple of new things I think it should be fairly even. Previously the longer the game went on Marines would gain an advantage, as all their upgrades came into play and the aliens stagnate after each hive. Now it seems a 2 hive alien team could potentially hold their own with upgrades against a marine side. However much of this is yet to be seen.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    edited October 2010
    So I do like the idea on the secondary fire being passed around, really it's a flamethrower secondary classic, I'd say. Though one thought and I'm not shooting the idea down as it'd depend on how FF is dealt with, if at all, but it could be quite the griefer tool I'd say. Somewhat similar to the whole catching fire to things near a flaming alien thing, but probably less annoying... just a thought to add to the idea, I still likely agree with it if it's handled properly, though.
  • TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    edited October 2010
    Nice, theres already whine about the marines being to strong... :D

Its an alpha after all, so nothing is balanced by now - And theres also a very easy way to "fix" aliens: force gamma down ;)
  • SwampRatSwampRat Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13369Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800602:date=Oct 2 2010, 07:46 AM:name=Theck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Theck @ Oct 2 2010, 07:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800602"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But there's a difference between realism and simulation, realism it's about making beliable, simulation it's about imitate the real world.

In my opinion, for NS2, the gameplay balance haves to be more important, and if doing something more real affects gameplay, it has to be cut.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that's a good representation of things. My earlier post wasn't meant to be a complaint about unrealism, I was just saying that something seemed a bit wrong to me and then went off on one trying to work out why.

I hope there are servers around with friendly fire on - yes people can grief but it's quite good when there needs to be some thought about when to shoot rather than just firing grenades / burning-hotness at your comrades to kill the alien that's about to bite them.
  • BRICEBRICE Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72453Members
    What is the fuel inside?which feeds the flame cone?
  • Llama_KillerLlama_Killer Join Date: 2002-07-30 Member: 1029Members
    I like it as a WIP but I can't wait to say: I love the smell of burnt hive in the morning! Over the mic when I pull that bad boy out!
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    edited October 2010
    Having the top handle perpendicular to the axis of the gun means that:

A) It's good for right or left-handers,
    B) It's hard as hell to carry, on account of the hand holding the top having to be twisted at a weird angle whilst supporting weight in order to hold it at your side.

Other than that, love it.

--Scythe--
  • SmicoSmico Join Date: 2010-09-21 Member: 74125Members
    Hell yeah, burn it down!
  • niaccurshiniaccurshi Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11629Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1800528:date=Oct 1 2010, 11:38 PM:name=Eyeless)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eyeless @ Oct 1 2010, 11:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800528"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i hope they improve the flame effect lol he hit the resource tower on top with th flamer and the fire was only coming from the base. And oh ya you guys wanna make the game playable yet? or add a rocket launcher next? Maybe a liquid nitrogen gun? Or let the gorges poop mines? then fix the lag.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Someone didn't read when they explained why there are a variety of things that get updated, even if they don't seem "important" to sarcastic individuals without any patience... ;)
  • niaccurshiniaccurshi Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11629Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1800616:date=Oct 2 2010, 05:28 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Oct 2 2010, 05:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800616"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Having the top handle perpendicular to the axis of the gun means that:

A) It's good for right or left-handers,
    B) It's hard as hell to carry, on account of the hand holding the top having to be twisted at a weird angle whilst supporting weight in order to hold it at your side.

Other than that, love it.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Clearly we need it to employ a over the shoulder harness! :)
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800616:date=Oct 2 2010, 04:28 PM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Oct 2 2010, 04:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800616"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A) It's good for right or left-handers,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Probably the left-handers were eliminated somewhere in the TSA cloning vats or something.
  • MopMop Join Date: 2003-06-26 Member: 17707Members
    Does it have a secondary fire to make say a wall of fire?

would look even nicer if there was a small flame at the tip to light the gas
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    I keep hearing this alt-fire unlit fuel idea. In any case alt-fire should turn the pilot light on and off. It's an interesting idea would why would we want to shoot out unlit fuel at aliens? what the advantage? How will it behave differently enough to add strategy?

Some ideas, If you switch between stream/unlit and vaporizing/lit modes
    -unlit fuel shoots out a narrower longer range stream. So range is a benefit to attack heavily defended areas from a distance.
    -With burn longer but not as hot(less damage). Having gorge nearby for firefighting/healing will counter the long range of the flamethrower.

-turning the pilot light off could allow for some stealth attack where a whole area is sprayed before being lit. Doing a lot of damage over time unless a nearby gorge can come in and turn it off as long as some other lifeform manages to destroy the flametrooper.

<!--quoteo(post=1800626:date=Oct 2 2010, 02:15 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Oct 2 2010, 02:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800626"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Probably the left-handers were eliminated somewhere in the TSA cloning vats or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Good thing too! Those sinister motherfrakers!
  • peentankpeentank Join Date: 2010-09-01 Member: 73857Members
    looks great guys! look forward to pre-ordering when beta is announced.

looking forward to when the network issues are worked out and you guys release a patch to the alpha people to get some real feedback!
  • nirvanaXOnirvanaXO Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70747Members
    Brilliant! Can't wait till the next patch comes through.
  • HeavenfallHeavenfall Join Date: 2010-08-14 Member: 73620Members
    Just chiming in. You definitely need some kind of passive flame on ground and walls hit by the flame. If you use a real flamethrower on a stone wall, it will still seem like the wall is burning until all the fluid is spent.
  • amalrikamalrik Join Date: 2010-10-02 Member: 74284Members
    Hive s tentacule could get corpses (or even living marines ?) and eat them, adding extra ress to alien team. It could balance early rushes ?
  • ZupE891ZupE891 Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67623Members
    can u have the hive start to boil after a wile? like the see through sides start to bubble up... would be sweett..

also maybe burn marks? and ooze dripping off the hive?

wow i can go on and on.. wish this stuff was easy to do.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited October 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1800626:date=Oct 3 2010, 02:15 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Oct 3 2010, 02:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800626"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Probably the left-handers were eliminated somewhere in the TSA cloning vats or something.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ah, I remember arguing with some guy on the I&S forums about how he believed left-handed people are superior, or something. Good times.

Zup: nice ideas. Also needs more violent shivering of the 'primary body'.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Alt-Fire switching off pilot light is sounding like a great idea. Keeps it simple and logical. Spray unlit fuel down with alt-fire, and light it with the primary fire.