Cool Onos "disruption" type abilities

2»

Comments

• NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    +1 Onos affecting building function

Turrets could lose friend or foe recognition and tracking ability. So if they sense motion they just starting shooting "wildly" but in slow moving sweeping arcs within their set range turning radius. They'll do damage to anything they hit.

That would help the aliens (as long as they have the skills to dodge the turret fire) but not render the turrets completely useless. Like if you have 2 or 3 turrets defending a approaching vector it would still be dangerous for the kharaa but less so. And it would become dangerous for marines.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited September 2010
    Hmm changing from accurate tracking mode fire into suppression fire mode. That could also be dangerous for friendlies...

Me likes...
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800279:date=Sep 29 2010, 10:56 AM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Sep 29 2010, 10:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800279"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Turrets could lose friend or foe recognition and tracking ability. So if they sense motion they just starting shooting "wildly" but in slow moving sweeping arcs within their set range turning radius. They'll do damage to anything they hit.

That would help the aliens (as long as they have the skills to dodge the turret fire) but not render the turrets completely useless. Like if you have 2 or 3 turrets defending a approaching vector it would still be dangerous for the kharaa but less so. And it would become dangerous for marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok, that actually sounds sensible.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't like it. abilities and functions should always follow the server side settings of friendly fire.
  • RainseekerRainseeker Join Date: 2008-01-29 Member: 63530Members
    If the Onos' stomp (which will likely return in some form) could knock down turrets (not the moving track ones) that are then slightly damaged by the move it would seem fair. A marine or MAC could stand it back up.
  • CXZmanCXZman Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70730Members
    edited September 2010
    I guess one great skill an Onos could have, and that could summary all those ideas above, is :

<b>Infestation puke</b> : the Onos fires an ugly and continuous spray of greenish slim on floors walls and ceilings that instantly push dynamic infestation up here. So you have to aim a bit to get the most of the room covered.

If I correctly understand how dynamic infestation is intended to work, spreading infestation everywhere in a marine controlled room should be enough to power it down.
    So it is a building disruption ability, maybe an marine disruption ability (i.e. if marines have problems walking on dynamic infestation), and a strong strategic advantage at the end of the game to claim back what was taken (if needed).

So it should cost a LOT of energy :)

Maybe it should be something like this instead :

<b>Overgrowth</b> : the Onos explodes in-place, instantly spreading infestation everywhere in the room. Before the explosion, the Onos is paralyzed and greenish bubbles starts to grow out of his body (for about 3 to 5 seconds or so). Then SPLAT ! The Onos is killed in the process, so it mainly costs a lot of res.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <b>THAT</b> is a skill i so totaly won't use.
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just a quick copypasta for discussion's sake since my post in the twitter thread got run over by new twitter posts.

<!--quoteo(post=1800190:date=Sep 28 2010, 05:43 PM:name=Deadzone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deadzone @ Sep 28 2010, 05:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800190"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For the record, I love the idea of an Onos roar that affects the environment. I enjoyed reading all those suggestions :D

Might as well contribute something.

Gnaw:
    Instead of devour, how about an attack where the Onos grabs one marine's arm in its mouth. The marine is stuck, while the onos can do a damage-over-time kill by gnawing away. Both the Onos and marine cannot move either until the attack finishes, or unless the Onos releases the arm.

Lone marines are punished with minimum damage to the big bad alien (as he should be for trying to solo an Onos imo). Likewise, a lone Onos cannot use this ability on a team of marines, nor can he hit-and-run.
    As an alternative to the damage-over-time kill, this Gnaw attack simply pins both players in place, punishing the one who didn't bring friends to make the actual kill.

Using Gnaw is tiring on an Onos' jaws. He's not a biter like a skulk, he's a thrasher. There is a considerable cooldown after using Gnaw.

This move is not as effective against Exoskeletons/heavies. It does still work, but after a few seconds, the strength of the suit is able to get the marine's arm out of the Onos' jaws. If such an escape happens, the Onos mouth hurts like hell and he cannot perform another Gnaw until an extra-long cooldown has passed, and the Onos may be stunned for 2-3 seconds while the escaping marine can get ready to fight.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    i hope that after all those overpowering abilities u guys are putting on onos devs make some kind of rocket machinegun, tsar-bomb turrets, plasma coil and testa-claw (lol ratchetgaems xD) yes becuz... "ahh the alien-only team stackers of ns1 that want marines to be powerless against coordinated alien attacks just like in ns1!!! xD
    " im like this but for marines instead XDXD im loyal to my race xD
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    "Gnaw:
    Instead of devour, how about an attack where the Onos grabs one marine's arm in its mouth. The marine is stuck, while the onos can do a damage-over-time kill by gnawing away."

Hmm not a bad idea - the onos doesn't necessarily have to be a carnivore, it might just as well live off infestation, so a "gnaw" functionality could be a bit like that of a cow, albeit a space cow munching on grass
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800406:date=Sep 30 2010, 02:02 PM:name=LUSITANER)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LUSITANER @ Sep 30 2010, 02:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800406"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i hope that after all those overpowering abilities u guys are putting on onos<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Most of the ideas here are overpowered and stupid, yes. Which is why the sensible people only mention which ones are good or at least balanceable.

For example, disruptions for the power core shouldn't last for 10 seconds tops. Probably less. A team boosting ability should probably drain a huge amount of Adrenaline making it unspammable and preventing the Onos from doing crazy things themselves, instead relying on teammates to destroy the Marines.

So yes, some are stupid and overpowered (perma knockdowns....), but most are balanceable quite easily. Or we just ignore the dumb ones.
    All the whining about being "overpowered" is too soon. We're brainstorming, it's up to the dev's to decide what to put in there anyways.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Something like when a huge silverbackgorilla pounds his "hands" onto the ground making a immitating growl or R0AAAR! animation, and his armor plating "pop"/spread out to make him look even bigger and more of a badass, just like the raptor thingies that eats the fat dude in jurasic park :D

As for the effect itself, there are plenty of good surgestions above, so i wont repeat em :)
    That's a cool idea!
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    Slowing effect; movement speed reduced. This could be put in the Tier 0 gore attack of the Onos. And make the effect cumulative. Scary stuff.

Making marines face different directions with a bash attack. Cos no one will be able keep a gun steadily pointed at an Onos if it slams you. This could be put in the Tier 0 gore attack of the Onos.

Bull rushing; Onos pushes a marine in front of it, taking away marine's freedom of movement. The Marine will have a hard time not being taken along for the ride (perhaps can get out with complicated and/or enough keyboard smashing), but can still shoot. This can be used to break marine group formation or push a lone marine into a corner or simply take away freedom of movement for an annoying dodgy marine.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    edited October 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1800423:date=Oct 1 2010, 02:37 AM:name=Rainseeker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rainseeker @ Oct 1 2010, 02:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800423"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All the whining about being "overpowered" is too soon. We're brainstorming, it's up to the dev's to decide what to put in there anyways.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, i can brainstorm saying quark-explosion speedcore-crunches or 90000 tons-stomp'yoheadz0r one hit ko's/disable IP and MARINE WEp0nz. Sense on this? No, this wont help on nothing. Brainstorm with usable things. And im not saying you cant brainstorm, i just said that was overpowering.

I actually dont see many good possibilities for disruptive moves, but a Push-back Screaming (with dirty breathe xD) woud be nice to test
    Don't know if you read the twitter feed, but the Dev's asked for suggestions for this. Flaming isn't helpful.