Cool Onos "disruption" type abilities

RainseekerRainseeker Join Date: 2008-01-29 Member: 63530Members
Ideas:

1. Intimidating Roar - Jams bullet-type weaponry, cone of effect
2. Menacing Growl - If NOT in view by marine, marine will freeze for a split second to listen. Long(ish) recharge time.
3. Cry of the Behemoth - "Blacks Out" area of view of the marine commander around the onos for a time

Comments

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    - Interfere with (marine) commander ability to view/drop items in the area
    - Cause marine structures in the area to stop operating
    - Make marines drop their weapon
    - Cause marines to start turning away from the Onos. (They could still counter this by turning in the opposite direction, but it would require effort).
    - Make other game sounds fade mostly out and only the onos-related sounds could be heard. Kind of like shell shock, but still able to move around and see normally.
  • StarClawsStarClaws Join Date: 2002-11-26 Member: 9974Members
    - Cause marine structures in the area to stop operating
    Can't do that or beacon and IPs would become useless.

- Make marines drop their weapon
    1. Intimidating Roar - Jams bullet-type weaponry, cone of effect
    Funny stuff but little overpowered probably.

- Make other game sounds fade mostly out and only the onos-related sounds could be heard. Kind of like shell shock, but still able to move around and see normally.
    I like this. Making the marines tunnel visioned by fear and the adrenaline that kicks in from their training. Then throw in some teamwork. Other aliens could become effective for a time because the other sounds would be muffled. Maybe even muffle the shots of teammates a bit so you don't know that they are shooting at other things. Maybe blur the edges of the vision a tiny bit but nothing outrageous. When a high amount of adrenaline is pumping through your body, your vision blurs anyways...
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Causing weapons to jam or be dropped is NOT a good idea. Making a Marine helpless is a poor move. Similarly, a knockdown ability is a poor idea, as is the forcing them to stop (gah stuns). It works in L4D, but not in this gameplay style.

The Black Out or shell shock ideas are actually pretty neat. Tunnel vision (i.e. blurred/streaked outer region of the screen) plus temporary hearing loss can really mess with people. Combine it with a nice flank from other Aliens and you've got a solid way to soften them up. Similarly, messing with the Power Grid or ability for the Comm to directly interact sounds like a really neat idea to help isolate them from their overseeing Commander. Plus, a design idea was for Stomp to temporarily disable buildings, so causing a flicker in the Power Grid could also work.
  • AhabAhab Join Date: 2002-11-09 Member: 7851Members
    I also like the blackout but i think the knockdown is also quite good. The marine could be knocked down and his vision should turn abruptly while he is still able to shoot. You'd have an Onos quickly switching targets then to disrupt the vision of the marines.
  • RainseekerRainseeker Join Date: 2008-01-29 Member: 63530Members
    I definitely like the idea of onos temporarily knocking out power! Sooo cooool!
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I like the idea of marines dropping their weapons. Could be due to Stomp?

'Menacing Roar', which could cause temporary deafness/ringing of the ears ALA Half-Life 2 and possibly a temporary jamming of mechanical guns.

'Pound' the Onos could pound it's front two feet into the ground causing a sort of mini-earthquake, causing players to wobble/vision to wobble off balance.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I don't care if it's overpowered, disabling the powergrid/buildings is <i>so cool</i>, you got to put that in.
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    1. An AoE stomp, the onos stamps on the ground causing a debilitating shockwave to be released, causing all marines caught in the shockwave to be immobile and have slower turn speed for 1.5 - 2 seconds.

2. A roar of somekind that when channeled over a period of 2 - 3 seconds causes all marines in area of effect to momentarily lose the ability to focus properly , making their vision blurred and vibrating from left to right until the roar is finished. While channelling this skill the onos is vunerable to long range fire by marines too far to be effected by the skill.
    But have the marines only be effected by this once every 15 seconds, otherwise you could have 2 onos's come running into a base and just one after the other cause the marines to be unable to target.

3. Charge of some kind, the onos builds up momentum to the point where when he eventually comes in contact with something solid (A wall) he causes a shockwave that knocks marines down forcing them to spend the next 2 seconds attempting to get back up. This skill would require you get to a certain speed before being able to pull it off correctly. Due to the nature of the skill the onos would spend 3 - 4 seconds dazed (You ever tried running into a wall head first at full whack?). The skill would be designed as a mass disable, giving the Alien team a short advantage but also taking the onos out of the fight for a longer period of time than the actual disable.

4. An Aura eminating from the Onos that instills fear and dread in the marines, causing nearby marine players to loose 10% run speed. (Doesn't stack with multiple Onos's)

I know some of these are almost the same as previous ones mentioned, just expanded on them slightly.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    anyone remember the big onos stomp animation that was in ns1? how about something big and dramatic like that, takes a long time to actually deploy but does an AOE knockdown and building disruption type thing. That way it can be spotted and possibly avoided, and still be useful.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    how about the stomp knocks the magazines/clips out of the marine's weapons forcing them to reload and wasting whatever ammo was in that magazine/clip.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1800152:date=Sep 28 2010, 08:19 PM:name=Dank McShwagger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dank McShwagger @ Sep 28 2010, 08:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800152"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how about the stomp knocks the magazines/clips out of the marine's weapons forcing them to reload and wasting whatever ammo was in that magazine/clip.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    how do you explain that? I'd rather have them fall to their knees or asses because of the shaking.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800153:date=Sep 28 2010, 06:25 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Sep 28 2010, 06:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800153"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how do you explain that? I'd rather have them fall to their knees or asses because of the shaking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The onos' stomp makes just the right frequency to make the mags resonate.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800153:date=Sep 28 2010, 02:25 PM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Sep 28 2010, 02:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800153"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how do you explain that? I'd rather have them fall to their knees or asses because of the shaking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that could be part of the effect as well, i only suggested the ammo idea because all these ideas are very similar... blurred vision, screen shaking, falling over... it's all lose of control, maybe the marines could loose something other then control for a change.
    How about this:

Primal Scream: All marines' weapons in a radius around the onos become MUCH less accurate. They could still easily hit the onos, but it would make it REALLY hard to hit smaller aliens.
  • LUSITANERLUSITANER Join Date: 2010-09-19 Member: 74086Members
    edited September 2010
    how about 'epic self-explode' destroys the entire map (the ship they are on lmao) killing everyone and stopping the game. the team with moar points would then win xDDD.

Nah, all of those make onos even more overpowered than it is already. Primal scream or com view disabling maybe, but need better ideas. stomp on ns1 was also kind sucking and pretty weak.

I could suggest kind of 'jumping-then-smash-ground-with-epic-strenght' and it would send marines flying/jumping high randomly for a while.
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    To me the perfect approach which has been mentioned would be for the stomp/roar combination seen in the teaser trailer to:

A. Cause a quick wobble of the marine's and nearby kharaa's (apart from other onos) viewpoint (screen) not immobilizing them just a greater jolt of the screen than the usual wobble of the onos running around.
    B. The roar causes temporary deafness or greatly muffled sounds plus tinnitus ringing and tunnel vision, this doesn't last very long tho, similar to that of the flashbangs in other FPS
    C. The stomp vibration and roar frequency combination (evolutionarily tuned) temporarily impacts electrical systems like an electromagnetic pulse and lights, buildings etc. flicker off until they auto-reboot. Might last as little as 3-5 seconds.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    I once again will state I absolutely abhor losing control in NS.

This includes knock down (especially if you can do a permanent disable), stuns, inability to fire weapon, dropping weapons, weapon jams, loss of aim, forcing players to turn away, and complete blackouts.

Partial blackouts, sound distortion, fuzzy/streaked edges of the screen (not whole screen) are manageable in my book.

Knocking out buildings, Janos' slowing of your speed idea, charge up and push back, boosting adrenaline of nearby Aliens, and the like are cool ideas in my book.
    I think that if the onos could charge into a marine/group and send them flying it would be pretty cool, does damage based on hit plus what they smash into distance, farther the more damage.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    edited September 2010
    I'm a fan of some passive disruption abilities, to really cement the Onos in the disruption role. To quote myself from the twitter thread:

Perhaps we could allow a limited number of spawns off of the Onos. Dead aliens would have the option to choose the Onos as a spawn point. After X many spawns (maybe 5 or so) he'd loose the ability or it would go on cooldown for a little. A smart Alien team could use this to keep a rush going and a smart Marine team may make the Onos their priority target to stop the spawning (and shielding, stomping, and other disruptions).

Also: MACs should flee in terror when they see an Onos.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Disabling the powergrid would be a nice counter to the flamethrower destroying the growth...
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited September 2010
    I lold at the idea that the onos roar should make the marine magazines fall out, or jam all marine weapons (maybe even clog the flamethrower nozzle and cause the launchable grenades to explode in the barrel while making every marines' armor spontaneously combust, while causing their boots to melt thereby sticking them to the floor until unwelded by a mac, and cause all the shotgun-shells to dump out of the weapon? nanites?),... ahh the alien-only team stackers of ns1 that want marines to be powerless against coordinated alien attacks just like in ns1!!! xD

As i always say, with regards to balancing, i will tolerate the most ridiculously overpowered alien upgrades in exchange for a 2-or-3-aimed-shots-to-chest-from-rifle = dead-fade fast-paced type tactical fps experience (it worked in the Aliens games like avp2 (the game), although that was more like 10 bullets due to the high rate of fire). The point being that the insanely fast speed, silent movement, wall climbing, super-jumping abilities, and powerful melee attacks were offset by their incredibly low tolerance to light armor piercing explosive tip 10mm SMG ammunition).

(Since the marine rifle is 30 rounds, then that tells me the devs are planning on buffing its damage... especially so if its supposed to be a viable weapon for the end game).

Also i think, depending on how severely overbalanced the onos/aliens becomes, that if it goes to far beyond marine-death-inflicting-abilities that we can easily justify anti-tank (instant death for onos / fades but not detonatable to lower lifeforms like gorges) mines, and an armor-piercing-ammunition upgrade for all marine weapons (including TFs) (think of it as damage-upgrade-#4), and even a rocket launcher for good measure (not for super splash damage, but for super-armor-piercing damage). Beyond that i think our tear-gas grenades and flamethrowers should be sufficient.
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    (reposted from the other thread)

Sticky onos poop - risky to "use" - takes a few seconds to drop, and spreads like a puddle...
  • dblkiondblkion Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72864Members
    I like the disabling stomp, It could look just like a flashbang in CSS, blurred vision and no sound for 3 or 4 seconds, the stomp of Ns1 was kinda lame
  • JanosJanos Join Date: 2002-08-02 Member: 1050Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Instead of an aura that reduces run speed within the onos's range, have the onos roar not only cause blurred vision for a time but to also reduce the run speed of the marines by 20% for the duration of the roar (2 - 3 seconds is a hell of a long time).
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    Onos can activate an aura which:
    A) Stops friendly fire protection for those marines within its effect
    B) Causes all command controlled equipment to report the marines within the area of effect as Kharaa and treat them as such. (Does the M.A.C. have any automated defense routines? Whoopsie!)
    C) Causes all marine structures to act as if the marines within the area of effect are Kharaa (so armory won't function, turrets target them, etc.)
    D) Cuts off the marines lines of communication to the commander and vice versa.
    E) Cuts out any kind of motion/communal tracking the marine may be part of.

In short, to all intents and purposes, the marines in the field of effect seem to be Kharaa to any marine controlled nanites in the region.
    <!--quoteo(post=1800227:date=Sep 28 2010, 11:15 PM:name=Kwil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwil @ Sep 28 2010, 11:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800227"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In short, to all intents and purposes, the marines in the field of effect seem to be Kharaa to any marine controlled nanites in the region.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ok, that sounds kinda imba. Especially retargetting the turrets.
  • LepockLepock Join Date: 2010-03-24 Member: 71067Members
    Anyone considered stomp being an upkeep ability, i.e. the onos has to stand in one place stomping to keep the marines in the area stunned but it wears off as soon as he stops. Then the onos isn't overpowerd and he has to depend on other aliens to come in and clean up. Regardless it shouldn't last too long or shouldn't be a complete stun. I'm not sure about the buildings effect though, i suppose that could keep going after the onos stops.
    <!--quoteo(post=1800230:date=Sep 28 2010, 10:33 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Sep 28 2010, 10:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800230"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok, that sounds kinda imba. Especially retargetting the turrets.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry, what is "imba?"
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1800237:date=Sep 29 2010, 01:46 AM:name=Rainseeker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rainseeker @ Sep 29 2010, 01:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1800237"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry, what is "imba?"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He means imbalanced.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2010
    i want multiple passive abilities for an onos. it invites for a shaking when you land after a jump (with a hefty penalty for bunny hopping).
    also its sheer mass is predestined to enable a smash attack when going fast (for a stamina penalty - the moving, not the smashing).

for a laugh there should be a gas attack that inflates the onos and fills the whole room with spores. i know, its stupid and probably won't make it. but just thinking about the hilarity of farting into the commanders face lets me open a can of chuckles.

it'd be nice if the onos could make some sort of electrical current, bathing the room with arcs of lightning a la infamous, haywiring all equipment in there without damaging it severely (its safe guarded through nanite fuses, so it shuts down for some seconds once the building loses randomly 15~25% of its health).
    -> a current induces magnetism which in turn may inflict shorts on equipment due to electrons from the flow in the circuit itself beeing affected. <-
    that ability would be no permanent drain but takes about 70% off the onos stamina and leaves it stunned for the duration.
    the player might be allowed to use petrify, but can not move nor turn when the <b>ark wave</b> is executed. what a lame name.

only the flamethrower could not be operated safely, but everyting else should be safe to use. and the marines are <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage" target="_blank">faraday caged</a>.

edit: ok who wrote park wave? i made even sure it read ark wave. or i tried to type spark wave and forgot about the p. whatever. i have chicken now.