NS2 Progress

Comments

• saltybp53saltybp53 Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72675Members
    The Lerk Flight fix has been on the Progress page for a while. Maybe there avoiding working on it? :D
    Good luck on the lag fix!
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    YEESS build 152 bar is on the progress bar! i bet we are going to have our long awaited patch. i can't wait this is going to be AWESOME!
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited September 2010
    Wow. That is a huge wow, actually. If there's a build 152 bar, then the patch is almost ready, and they said the patch wouldn't be ready until they've fixed the network lag issue, and if that's so, then they have almost fixed the network lag issue, and testers will soon be receiving a more playable build, and the Alpha is already much further on the road to becoming playable (testable). If this is true, you are amazing.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Those three little numbers are building much excitement! No doubt my FRAPS drive was very unhappy to see them. Torture awaits it upon Build 152 release!
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1798357:date=Sep 13 2010, 04:04 AM:name=Heroman117)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Heroman117 @ Sep 13 2010, 04:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798357"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->YEESS build 152 bar is on the progress bar! i bet we are going to have our long awaited patch. i can't wait this is going to be AWESOME!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    oooooo, nice
    Lets hope Max can squash the warping issue this week. :D
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1798376:date=Sep 13 2010, 10:09 AM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Sep 13 2010, 10:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798376"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->oooooo, nice
    Lets hope Max can squash the warping issue this week. :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFT.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    Saw Patch 152 on the progress bar as well. Hopeful for a patch release this progress week. It could happen any time between now and Sunday, but I'm thinking at least Friday.

That is, of course, if they can fix what they need to by the time they plan on this release.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    if it takes years to fix player warping, it would take years to get patch 152 ... remember, the bar is only reached <b>when its done</b>

sry 4 my english :/
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gettin' antsy.

Cheers,
    Cody
  • Stele007Stele007 Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30063Members
    "Reduce bandwith for servers"
    Sounds like we're getting somewhere.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Objectives are added and accepted one are removed every week, yea its progress but no reason to get jumpy.
  • BloodhouseBloodhouse Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72369Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1798399:date=Sep 13 2010, 04:42 PM:name=derWalter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (derWalter @ Sep 13 2010, 04:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798399"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if it takes years to fix player warping, it would take years to get patch 152 ... remember, the bar is only reached <b>when its done</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They wont take years. This ain't Duke Nukem Forever!
  • TurbosniglenTurbosniglen Join Date: 2010-08-13 Member: 73607Members
    Yay they've put a next release milestone!
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Sweet! Can't wait to see improved network performance ^^
  • minimminim Join Date: 2009-05-14 Member: 67408Members
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1798421:date=Sep 13 2010, 04:34 PM:name=minim)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (minim @ Sep 13 2010, 04:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798421"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Onos movement!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yay!
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The issues they're dealing with are so huge, doubt we'll be seeing a patch this week either. Not that it really matters.

*thinks*...

Yes. Yes it matters.
    Want new patch now :(
  • EyelessEyeless Join Date: 2010-02-01 Member: 70391Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1798410:date=Sep 13 2010, 11:12 AM:name=Bloodhouse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bloodhouse @ Sep 13 2010, 11:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798410"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They wont take years. This ain't Duke Nukem Forever!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Get pretty damn close. A year would be generous though, considering how long an update for the damn alpha is taking.
    <!--quoteo(post=1798433:date=Sep 13 2010, 06:06 PM:name=Eyeless)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eyeless @ Sep 13 2010, 06:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798433"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Get pretty damn close. A year would be generous though, considering how long an update for the damn alpha is taking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

look at everything that's going into this patch tho.

2/3 alien upgrade towers, fade, maybe onos, <b>playability</b>, builder map polish features

its a big patch if they come through, and they're grinding, i think we'll be playing this weekend.

<b>GO MAX GO!</b>
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wanna play... *drools*

*Bored without NS2...*

Cheers,
    Cody
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    After a long time i have to say it once again: My God - Charlie, Max, Cory, Matt, Kurt and everyone else keep up the great work! Just watching the Videos that are being made by the community are just blank awesome! The Game itself looks <i>so</i> impressive! I love the Art Direction, I love the Sound and Music and i will surely love the gameplay and programming! :)

I was waiting such a long time for the next step of Natural Selection it's like an overwhelmingly long passive ###### over the years.
    I truly speak as a fanboy, haters gonna hate but you Guys are doing an <b>awesome</b> Job. Keep it up, you worked so long and hard for this it will definitely pay off!
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1798445:date=Sep 13 2010, 06:58 PM:name=whoppaXXL)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whoppaXXL @ Sep 13 2010, 06:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->After a long time i have to say it once again: My God - Charlie, Max, Cory, Matt, Kurt and everyone else keep up the great work! Just watching the Videos that are being made by the community are just blank awesome! The Game itself looks <i>so</i> impressive! I love the Art Direction, I love the Sound and Music and i will surely love the gameplay and programming! :)

I was waiting such a long time for the next step of Natural Selection it's like an overwhelmingly long passive ###### over the years.
    I truly speak as a fanboy, haters gonna hate but you Guys are doing an <b>awesome</b> Job. Keep it up, you worked so long and hard for this it will definitely pay off!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a great post!

Keep it up UWE.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    We're probably looking at another week for a patch at the worst, at best possibly this Friday/Monday for a patch.
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1798435:date=Sep 13 2010, 11:18 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Sep 13 2010, 11:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798435"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->look at everything that's going into this patch tho.

2/3 alien upgrade towers, fade, maybe onos, <b>playability</b>, builder map polish features

its a big patch if they come through, and they're grinding, i think we'll be playing this weekend.

<b>GO MAX GO!</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unfortunately, the dev team has stated previously that the fade will not be in the next patch. What you are seeing is game code, such as abilities, being worked into the game so that at some point, they can add him in. I'd also assume the Onos will not be making it in as well, but I think we may see an alien upgrade tower, perhaps. Will definitely be a huge patch.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1798455:date=Sep 13 2010, 07:54 PM:name=Avalon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Avalon @ Sep 13 2010, 07:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1798455"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unfortunately, the dev team has stated previously that the fade will not be in the next patch. What you are seeing is game code, such as abilities, being worked into the game so that at some point, they can add him in. I'd also assume the Onos will not be making it in as well, but I think we may see an alien upgrade tower, perhaps. Will definitely be a huge patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That was a while ago. They've had a good amount of time to get him ready. Hell, their working on the Onos now!
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Hehe, looks like Onos is getting quite a bit of attention now :D

I hope the camera shaking won't be too distracting, especially when actually facing the Onos.
  • Baron_Bad_EggBaron_Bad_Egg Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29823Banned
    id rather an update w. the fixed lag/fps issue b4 the other ###### if that's possible..... more feedback would be given.
  • KerostasisKerostasis Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33056Members
    On the question of Onos Momentum and Turn Speed:

Both are very nice aesthetic effects, to increase immersion, for everyone EXCEPT the person playing the Onos. Both are extremely annoying to the Onos himself.

I think capped turn speed will be worse for gameplay than momentum. The problem with capping turn speed is that it breaks the standard procedure for translating mouse movements to unit controls. (It works great for joystick-type inputs, but who plays NS with a joystick?) If you attempt to turn faster than the allowed cap, the correlation between mouse position and screen position is lost so that not only do you turn slower than you expected, but even AFTER the turn is done you won't be facing the direction you expected. You could conceivably cap the turn speed of the model animation, just to make smoother animations, but don't cap the turn speed of the unit itself.

Momentum is probably workable. In most situations it will be a handicap for the Onos, but as long as you know that ahead of time you can still balance it to be effective despite that. And ideally a high-momentum Onos would gain the ability to shove things out of his way more easily (ie, smashing welded doors, knocking non-heavy marines across the room, etc).
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    I think the turn speed cap should not be implemented, impairing the players senses is one thing as long as it is subtle but impairing the player's control of their character is not going to make the experience any more enjoyable. I don't think having momentum is so bad as long as it is very subtle and is purely for a slight aesthetic effect but if it is apparent enough that the player actually notices it then it should be avoided. i have no problem if you guys want to make the experience more realistic or immerse but if that starts to conflict with gameplay then it should be avoided. If a player is lucky or skilled enough to gather the resources required to become the Onos then he should be rewarded rather than limited, a player who spent 75 of his resource points in order to become the strongest single unit in the entire game will not appreciate having to wait 0.15 - 1 seconds in order to turn 45 degrees. If this is for balancing sake then i believe that it should be addressed with a different approach rather than taking total control away from the player and removing the fluid feel that the alien race always possessed.

All of this is IMO