ETA on Playable State?

Comments

• RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1797233:date=Sep 2 2010, 03:48 AM:name=Rulgrok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rulgrok @ Sep 2 2010, 03:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797233"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->fade reveal pls<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

gib us anything, somfin plox
  • ArcadianArcadian Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65617Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1797232:date=Sep 2 2010, 03:25 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Sep 2 2010, 03:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797232"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are very focused on getting the server lag issues sorted so that the game can be in a playable state, as soon as humanly possible. Max is busy setting up separate testing conditions so that he can adequately ascertain what exactly is causing the biggest lag issues. In programming, it seems often that the mos time consuming part can be tracking down, collecting data, testing and figuring out exactly why something is not working the way it should, and once that information has been figured out the fixes can be relatively quick. Or, there's the possibility that you can find out that there is an issue deep in the engine framework that means a bunch of stuff needs to get ripped up and reworked and put back together again.

So, all I'm saying is that it just makes it very hard to give a precise ETA on when the issues will be fixed and when the next patch will be out. I can say that we are hoping there are some fairly easy and quick things that can be fixed that make a big difference, and that we can get this next patch out next week sometime.

In the meantime, while Max is hard at work on fixing the lag, the rest of us are able to continue to crank on getting the rest of the game in shape and adding lots of new gameplay items, art, and bug fixes.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for the post Squeal.

Don't let them get you down.
  • Stele007Stele007 Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30063Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1797438:date=Sep 3 2010, 02:45 PM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Sep 3 2010, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797438"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you cannot say for sure that fixing the lag problems would bring ns2 in a playable state :) dont expect any eta<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know what makes you think that... Before too many people join, the game IS pretty playable. It's pretty clunky but quite functional. I would get into it if 5v5+ matches weren't so horribly laggy.
  • EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1797586:date=Sep 5 2010, 04:02 AM:name=Baron_Bad_Egg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Baron_Bad_Egg @ Sep 5 2010, 04:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797586"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->uhh they dont have all the characters... or all the structures... still doing art.... so... yea...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

where does it say that?
  • RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
    Well when they asked us to help them pick the babblers that was a huge hint that artwork is still being done...
  • Baron_Bad_EggBaron_Bad_Egg Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29823Banned
    <!--quoteo(post=1797685:date=Sep 6 2010, 06:49 AM:name=Ezekiel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ezekiel @ Sep 6 2010, 06:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797685"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->where does it say that?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1797716:date=Sep 6 2010, 12:03 PM:name=Rulgrok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rulgrok @ Sep 6 2010, 12:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well when they asked us to help them pick the babblers that was a huge hint that artwork is still being done...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

no fade reveal, still don't have half the chambers.. and said above... (l2think)
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    Of course they are still doing artwork :D Its not finished is like saying there is still things to do. And they might even still be pumping concepts after its done. A game is an ongoing process for all the departments involved. They don't do all the programming and then do all the artwork and then do all the game play. Everything is built together, starting off with placeholders, giving the developers a structure and a plan that they refine.

Everything they are doing at this point is just following the plan. They might of finalized the crag a little time ago, but it was planed to be done after a certain number of things had already been done.

Knowing this and seeing the state of the alpha, well its already playable, and a huge amount of work has been done. Its just refinement at this point.
  • fr0st2kfr0st2k Join Date: 2004-04-26 Member: 28210Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1797271:date=Sep 2 2010, 09:33 AM:name=Delphic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Delphic @ Sep 2 2010, 09:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797271"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1

It's not like Halo servers for PC could ever cope with those 32-64 (or I saw one that was 128) player servers without ridiculous lag. So for anyone out there trying to run 32 player servers... it's probably going to be laggy with that number of players until servers and client PCs are on average good enough to cope.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

as cool as it sounds to have so many players.. the levels are built around having a specific amount of players on each team ... Im curious as to what hte draw may be to have such a ridiculous amount of players in the game at one time. It then ruins the games original intention and makes a crazy deathmatch game.

CS has gone that route, and the game has been ruined.
  • EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1797716:date=Sep 6 2010, 04:03 PM:name=Rulgrok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rulgrok @ Sep 6 2010, 04:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797716"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well when they asked us to help them pick the babblers that was a huge hint that artwork is still being done...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The fact they asked for help on one creature doesn't automatically mean there is a similar amount to do for everything else. As for baron, you can't really talk about anything, amount of idiocy youve posted.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I would suppose that concepts have existed since a long time (in fact we've seen all chambers in drawing, haven't we?) however they're still modifiable. Remember the pistol concept? They've shown us a dozen concepts despite having already chosen the actual model.

How critical are models to a game development? I would suppose they can appear fairly far down the road, placeholders can act well enough.
    <!--quoteo(post=1797809:date=Sep 7 2010, 01:51 PM:name=Ezekiel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ezekiel @ Sep 7 2010, 01:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797809"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As for baron, you can't really talk about anything, amount of idiocy youve posted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

....read that out loud.
  • WalfischWalfisch Join Date: 2010-03-08 Member: 70883Members
    edited September 2010
    Baron, it makes sense. Like you said, read it out loud. Commas are off, but it makes sense. I just ignore punctuation since it seems everyone born before a certain year learned to use commas as pauses, rather than whatever the hell you use commas for. I blame the education system of the 80s and 90s.

As for art, babblers form was never an integral part of it's play was it? I think a good portion of UWE is made up of more code and design guys.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited September 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1797586:date=Sep 5 2010, 04:02 AM:name=Baron_Bad_Egg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Baron_Bad_Egg @ Sep 5 2010, 04:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797586"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->uhh they dont have all the characters... or all the structures... still doing art.... so... yea...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    All player class characters are done, as in, concepted/modeled/textured/animated (and yes, this includes the Fade), with the exception of the Heavy Marine, which has been concepted and high poly modeled, and which has moved onto the low poly model/texture stage. Gameplay integration of the character abilities of course are still being worked on.

All alien structures are concepted/modeled/textured, and all but 1 has been animated. That includes the Harvester, Hive, Hydra, Crag, Whip, Shift, Shade, Player model egg, and Drifter Egg (the intermediate stage that a drifter turns into before a structure is created). The only related model left to do is the Babblers, which should be pretty quick, and the final art is not needed anytime soon.

All marine structures are done (unless Charlie adds more).

All marine view model weapons are done, with the exception of the Heavy view models.

All alien view models are done.

Just because you haven't seen it in game or seen a reveal on it, doesn't mean it hasn't been done already.

--Cory
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    edited September 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1797856:date=Sep 7 2010, 06:17 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Sep 7 2010, 06:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All player class characters are done, as in, concepted/modeled/textured/animated (and yes, this includes the Fade), with the exception of the Heavy Marine, which has been concepted and high poly modeled, and which has moved onto the low poly model/texture stage. Gameplay integration of the character abilities of course are still being worked on.

All alien structures are concepted/modeled/textured, and all but 1 has been animated. That includes the Harvester, Hive, Hydra, Crag, Whip, Shift, Shade, Player model egg, and Drifter Egg (the intermediate stage that a drifter turns into before a structure is created). The only related model left to do is the Babblers, which should be pretty quick, and the final art is not needed anytime soon.

All marine structures are done (unless Charlie adds more).

All marine view model weapons are done, with the exception of the Heavy view models.

All alien view models are done.

Just because you haven't seen it in game or seen a reveal on it, doesn't mean it hasn't been done already.

He doesn't come with them often but when he does it's from the top ropes.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    Damn we forgot HA. lol.

Thank you Cory for all those above information, you translate what I'm thinking.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Awesome! I guess we can expect the next patch to come with more art updates along with the Crag :)
    edited September 2010
    well in this case im happy to be wrong (with the models and art and such).

still, Ezekiel, reading it out loud makes it sound like a toddler trying to put sentences together.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1797875:date=Sep 8 2010, 03:07 AM:name=Baron_Bad_Egg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Baron_Bad_Egg @ Sep 8 2010, 03:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797875"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->well in this case im happy to be wrong (with the models and art and such).

still, Ezekiel, reading it out loud makes it sound like a toddler trying to put sentences together.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sheesh, would you lot (in general) stop flame-baiting each other already...
    <!--quoteo(post=1797877:date=Sep 7 2010, 09:14 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Sep 7 2010, 09:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797877"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sheesh, would you lot (in general) stop flame-baiting each other already...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what else can we do until the next patch? =p
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Yah, I know t'is mere wishful thinking...
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Heh, I just saw this topic title.. first thing that came to my mind with everything going on in the world recently was; why the heck are people worrying about Spanish terrorists occupying states, in this forum?
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1797856:date=Sep 7 2010, 11:17 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Sep 7 2010, 11:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All player class characters are done, as in, concepted/modeled/textured/animated (and yes, this includes the Fade), with the exception of the Heavy Marine.

What about the actual implementation, though? That doesn't seem to be included in your definition of "done."

Not that I actually expect any developer to go into that much detail about progress, but hey, you already surprised me once. :)
  • davidcavalcantedavidcavalcante Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67754Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1797888:date=Sep 8 2010, 01:15 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Sep 8 2010, 01:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about the actual implementation, though? That doesn't seem to be included in your definition of "done."

Not that I actually expect any developer to go into that much detail about progress, but hey, you already surprised me once. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They have a network issue to fix before that. :P
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1797888:date=Sep 8 2010, 04:15 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Sep 8 2010, 04:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797888"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What about the actual implementation, though? That doesn't seem to be included in your definition of "done."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, I was simply replying specifically about the art side, and I mentioned, at least in the player character part, that gameplay integration is still being worked on. A lot of stuff has been implemented and is pretty far along on the gameplay side, a lot of stuff is in in a basic form, and some stuff has not been implemented at all yet, which is why the game is still in an alpha state. We are focused on getting all of the essential core game mechanics working as soon as possible, but, as with any game, much of the gameplay functionality will continue to be added, revised, polished and tweaked all the way up until release.

--Cory
  • davidcavalcantedavidcavalcante Join Date: 2009-06-08 Member: 67754Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1797899:date=Sep 8 2010, 03:48 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Sep 8 2010, 03:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797899"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We are <!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->focused <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->on getting all of the <!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->essential core game mechanics<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> working as soon as possible<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks.
    That's all I need to read.
    edited September 2010
    wooordd. ill try to be more positive about the development of the game... i probably have a low to middle-grade system so i just have to wait for it to be run on ######tier computers. until then... make fast with my preorder money! =p thats lunch for someone! =p
  • wesmanwesman Join Date: 2010-03-17 Member: 70990Members
    Christmas 2010 For Beta. Full version probably fall 2011
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    edited September 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1797856:date=Sep 8 2010, 08:17 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Sep 8 2010, 08:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1797856"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->with the exception of the Heavy Marine, which has been concepted and high poly modeled, and which has moved onto the low poly model/texture stage.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why do you do a high poly first?
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    edited September 2010
    Those high poly details are baked into a normal map, which is then applied to the low poly model.

You can see the basic principles <a href="http://www.nfscars.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21953" target="_blank">here</a>.
    Short version: From high poly you can make low poly...

<i>Similar to photography. 10Mp can be converted to 1Mp, but not the other way around there isn't enough data to make the 10Mp image.</i>