Natural Selection 2 News Update - The Crag

FlayraFlayra Game Director, Unknown Worlds EntertainmentSan Francisco Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 3Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - The Crag here

Comments

• MasterPTGMasterPTG Join Date: 2006-11-30 Member: 58780Members
    edited August 2010
  • RecupelRecupel Join Date: 2008-02-27 Member: 63752Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Really nice.
    I like the design of the 10th.
    Imo, having 2-3 different designs will increase the idea of "chaotic swarm".
  • alzarocalzaroc Join Date: 2003-07-26 Member: 18451Members, Constellation
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    BABBLERS!!!!!111!!!1! <3
  • ExroathExroath Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72441Members
    is there going to be a limit on how many of these can be placed?
    im thinking zomg zerg rush! sounds great however .. bout time aliens got treats :D
  • SilverwingSilverwing bulletsponge Join Date: 2003-11-23 Member: 23395Members, Constellation
    Very nice! I like 4, 9 and 11 the most. Some of the designs look to be about snark-sized, not cat-sized, is the size fixed in your mind? Or could there be more, smaller babblers instead of fewer, larger ones?

I like the look and abilities of the crag and I can't wait to see it in-game.

Go, go, Team UWE!
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
  • TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    Nice!

I like 10 the most and 2 also looks kinda... cute, like a pitbull :D
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    edited August 2010
    Simply amazing, I don't think a single thing needs to be changed outside of maybe a few numbers for balance issues (like healing percentage etc.) Because ability wise it sounds great, and like it would serve its purpose as a defensive structure.

As far as the babblers go, usually I can pick out a few I prefer but honestly they all look great and I would be happy with any of those.

Actually the only concern I have is the size, I hope that drawing is an accurate portrait of how large it will be, because the OC the gorge drops is so small that it has no intimidation factor at all.
  • qbertqbert Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67773Members
  • perfectheatperfectheat Join Date: 2007-06-28 Member: 61405Members
    edited August 2010
    Like it a lot, and it reminds me of some kind of coral. Great that you are bringing back the babblers!

They all look cool. Think nr 4 looks a bit to much like a headcrab and Nr 6 looks like a tick (Ixodidae). I personally like 7 or 10, with mouth claws something in between those two and maybe a bit longer legs. Nr 3 with 6 legs would also look cool. But you might want to think of how many legs you want to animate. 4 is probably easier, but 6 might make it harder to spot flaws as we are less used to seeing larger 6 legged creatures. If you are making them "explode" when shot then nr 6 could work well with that too? Would they do some damage when shot? So your aim would be to shoot them at a distance I mean.

My 2 cent.

Cheers.
  • ZehtukaZehtuka Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72853Members
    Number 9 or 10.

Very nice concept art btw!
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    <b>BABBLERS :D</b>
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2010
    10 and 11 look ok to me, but there's an alternative that might be 'orrible enough to be considered - the giant isopod, as seen here; <a href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1263042/Monster-deep-Oil-workers-dredge-giant-cousin-woodlouse.html" target="_blank">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...-woodlouse.html</a>

Per the last drawing on the right on this page, it could be a nice touch if they rolled into a ball until they reached their "target", then opened out to the nasty looking thing above... <a href="http://www.bumblebee.org/invertebrates/CRUSTACEAa.htm" target="_blank">http://www.bumblebee.org/invertebrates/CRUSTACEAa.htm</a>
  • Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    Number 9 for sure.
  • RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
    11 looks like it could jump up on your face and hold on head crab style

I agree #2 is cute - screw gorge plushies give me a #2 babbler plushy

But i would say 11, 3, and 4.
  • olisisolisis Join Date: 2003-02-01 Member: 12944Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1795212:date=Aug 19 2010, 02:48 PM:name=Recupel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Recupel @ Aug 19 2010, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795212"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really nice.
    I like the design of the 10th.
    Imo, having 2-3 different designs will increase the idea of "chaotic swarm".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with everything here.

It's more work, but more than a single bug design coming out of one of these things would be amazing!
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited August 2010
    It's friday on a thursday!
    This post is interesting though since I really thought the Lerk would be getting Umbra once again since for me, it felt like such a staple ability for the class. But now I guess we'll be seeing something new!

And the designs are all really good, but I'm inclined to go with something that doesn't look like a maggot/larvae (or too creepy-looking really) so it's <b>3</b> for me, with <b>1</b> at a close second and 5 third. They also fit more closely to the coral-themed Crag that could very well have been something found under water, and they would move in a cool way.
    Might want to tie it a bit closer to the design of the Drifter with the transparent, glowing body as well.

*silently hoping for a patch tomorrow*...
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    8 looks cute and cuddly.
  • Mr_NittyMr_Nitty Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30091Members
    Hmm.. I think #11 looks like it could jump and run fast. Jeez, I don't know, they all look really cool.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Number one looks good. The other's are looking to slow. Of course, animations may change that, but the others are to weird.

Bonus for using different parts from insects and other more or less parasitic lifeforms.
  • neilm86neilm86 Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67198Members
    edited August 2010
    if you guys can afford it, you should try and incorporate 2 or 3 of the models for added swarm effect.

the structure abilities sound excellent!

keep up to good work guys everything is coming along nicely!
  • rsdrsd Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13405Members
    4 Looks fast and stupid (as in unintelligent), which is probably how they will appear ingame, so ideal to me :)
  • WhiteWolf22WhiteWolf22 Join Date: 2009-08-21 Member: 68559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2010
    This is going to be fun :D

I agree too, it would be awesome to have a mix of .. let's say 3 different models. This would look a lot more interesting than a horde of "copy-and-pasties", and it could make sense. You could specialize each of the three different babblers for a specific task: one for spitting at the marine to obscure their sight a bit (like design #1), one for kinda grabbing a marine to slow him down - #2 would do the best job for it with it's 4 claws (and yes, it's kinda cute, like it :D) and #10 (which has the coolest design) could bite him to deal a little amount of damage. (everything just as you explained what they will do)

Although, if you just want to take one of the designs, I'd say #10 will do it.

EDIT: you even could give them some funny characteristics - #1 (here in the role of the spitter) should be a jumpy, fast guy, #2 looks a bit slower and you could make him sigh like a fat, exhausted one and the "damage dealer" #10 should make angry, nasty snarl sounds :3

sounds like a nice team to me ^^
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    #5 is awesome, really or #2
  • ia-spideria-spider Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24379Members, Constellation
    I'm really liking 8 and 9
  • XeZoXeZo Join Date: 2006-11-14 Member: 58597Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    omg!

Can't wait! :P

The Babblers should have long thin legs... so something like 9, maybe with 6 legs and then a body like no. 1 or 4 :P

YAAY! :D
  • pWENpWEN Join Date: 2010-08-19 Member: 73711Members
    It looks like you're going for an insect-like creature here with chewing mouthparts. If they're meant to scuttle close to the ground and swarm the player, you'd probably want to pick 7 or 8 (I like 7 best overall). These options are better too if you want them to cling to the player. If they jump and aren't meant to crawl particularly fast, definitely go with 4, but give them 11's mouthparts so they still have that cling ability.

6 would be cool if you want them to be like ticks and burrow under the marine's armor when they stick to him.
  • DY357LXDY357LX Playing since day 1. Still can&#39;t Comm. England Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1651Members, Constellation
    #4 and #9 look superb. (#4 has a small resemblance to Half-Life's Headcrabs.)

#9 is actually a little scary looking!
  • RedfordRedford Monorailcatfjord Join Date: 2002-04-28 Member: 528Members, NS1 Playtester
    My favorites are #2 and #10, easily.