I'm disapointed in unkown worlds for raising the price.

Comments

• BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    While the opening post probably wasn't the best there is (apart from being a decent flamebait), I think I'm slightly annoyed by the fanboyism once again. There is usually a plenty of good reasoning for the things UWE do, but people just keep spamming GTFO at every complaint instead of trying to see the actual reasons.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1794348:date=Aug 15 2010, 03:38 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Aug 15 2010, 03:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->While the opening post probably wasn't the best there is (apart from being a decent flamebait), I think I'm slightly annoyed by the fanboyism once again. There is usually a plenty of good reasoning for the things UWE do, but people just keep spamming GTFO at every complaint instead of trying to see the actual reasons.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And again, chopping the feedback in this thread to mere fanboyism is a little much, I think. We've seen too many of these types of posts, and frankly it is kind of annoying. NS is still about half the price compared to other "AAA" games and we hope it will be worth more much more. The special edition pre-order was there to help UWE, who needed a bit of financial help. The standard edition was there for those who still wanted to help but either didn't want to risk dealing out more cash for theoretically "better" additives or who were content with what the standard pre-order offered - either way, both were a risky bet - UWE could have gone broke and we would have all been out money.

The OP could have purchased the pre-order at the previous price point - he had, what, more than a year? Yes he decided to not pre-order, for whatever reason, and the train left the station. Then he comes on the forums and states that he's been waiting for two years for NS2 but won't pay what is closer to retail price for the game anyways. He felt the need to sign-up and tell us this... do you really think the community, fan boys or not, would have acted any differently? A simple e-mail to UWE directly would have sufficed, albeit, nothing would likely be done about it. Those that pre-ordered took a risk, and now have an added benefit of having paid less than those that decided not to take a chance. This is how customer loyalty usually works.

It is on the same lines as customers demanding they get the Sale price for an item that was on sale two weeks ago. If you missed the train, wait for the next one. I'm sure UWE will have further sales... and when it gets released on Steam it'll most likely also be on sale for the first week/month.

Having said that "GTFO" may not have been the best type of reply, but I can see where they are coming from - and it isn't because they're simply fan boys. If we weren't fans of NS, do you really think UWE would be here today?
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    edited August 2010
    And I'm disappointed in you for not pre-ordering. It just show that you're not in for supporting development, you just want the game delivered when it's done. It doesn't matter how long you've played NS, you don't support UWE when it's needed the most. If you were new to game, or not a hardcore fan of NS, I would understand if you didn't pre-order. New customers won't argue the price, the price as it is now, is ridiculous low, I'm seriously rolling on the floor laughing my f*ing a** off how ridiculous low price is. Please increase price to 60$-80$... it's too cheap as it is now. If I went to a store buying a new game, I'd have to pay 80$ at least for it. I don't know why some guys whine because it cost $34.95.
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    edited August 2010
    You should have pre ordered earlier if you wanted the game that bad OP...

No sympathy.

Offtopic:
    <!--quoteo(post=1794327:date=Aug 15 2010, 06:08 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Aug 15 2010, 06:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794327"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has anyone noticed that he <b>joined yesterday</b>? And that the thread was posted 19 minutes after he joined?
    What is totally awesome is that he has an overwhelming total of <b>Posts: 1</b>

This is what we all known as a Mega TroLOL.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can speak English perfectly, hahaha wow you trolled me so bad in that other thread..
  • catcat Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67627Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You've not been involved in the community till today, your only contribution so far is to make a thread in order vocalize an opinion that has no constructive merit. In fact, I suspect you'll never even check this forum again, and if you do it had better be to apologize, otherwise you are not welcome here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While I disagree with the original poster about the price etc, you should not be this arrogant. Everyone can voice his opinion things NO EFFING MATTER how oldschool he is in terms of amount of forum posts.
    He also does not have to be constructive at all. If he does not like the new price, he can simply come here an voice his opinion on it. He does not have to "contribute" either. Stop being such a community fascist.
    Free speech for the win.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I think it was just bad PR and advertising, honestly. Or rather, a bad strategy/approach.
    UWE should have advertised the "full price" as $35, then offered the pre-order as a *discount*. The +$5 on special edition, of course, goes to pay for the black armour and early alpha access. The -$15 on standard edition pre-alpha, was because it's a pre-order.

I know of at least two other games that funded development on pre-orders: mount&blade and heroes of newerth. in the case of Heroes of Newerth, they had a price that rose from 19 at the beginning of closed beta, to 30 at the end of open beta. mount&blade had a similar approach - from $20 gradually rising to a full price at around 40? i dont remember.
  • DarkSpiritDarkSpirit Join Date: 2010-08-14 Member: 73628Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794385:date=Aug 15 2010, 02:45 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 15 2010, 02:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it was just bad PR and advertising, honestly. Or rather, a bad strategy/approach.
    UWE should have advertised the "full price" as $35, then offered the pre-order as a *discount*. The +$5 on special edition, of course, goes to pay for the black armour and early alpha access. The -$15 on standard edition pre-alpha, was because it's a pre-order.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's exactly how I see it. I'm happy someone has sympathy for my view on this. I haven't forgotten about the steam sales. Hopefully there will be a December special.

Just wanted to share how I felt because I suspected I wouldn't be alone. In part, to explain why I and maybe others wouldn't be purchasing NS2 when it came out. I wasn't looking to start any flaming.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    My take on this matter is that by doing a price increase, that have just ADDED value to the standard-preorder (in a very small way but ya).
  • SkyrageSkyrage Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20249Members
    I pre-ordered. I got a discount. I even got Overgrowth on top which was hell yeah all in itself. I am happy. 'nuff said.

The information may have been bit shoddy but in the end it's up to each and everyone whether they decide to pre-order or not. That's all there is to it.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2010
    The cheaper price was online for over a year. You waited for over 2 years, yet you failed to buy it within that year. Now the price has gone up.

Your own fault for not buying sooner, no point in whining on the forums. The price is reasonable for a AAA Indie game.

Fail.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1794385:date=Aug 15 2010, 10:45 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 15 2010, 10:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794385"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it was just bad PR and advertising, honestly. Or rather, a bad strategy/approach.
    UWE should have advertised the "full price" as $35, then offered the pre-order as a *discount*. The +$5 on special edition, of course, goes to pay for the black armour and early alpha access. The -$15 on standard edition pre-alpha, was because it's a pre-order.

I know of at least two other games that funded development on pre-orders: mount&blade and heroes of newerth. in the case of Heroes of Newerth, they had a price that rose from 19 at the beginning of closed beta, to 30 at the end of open beta. mount&blade had a similar approach - from $20 gradually rising to a full price at around 40? i dont remember.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How was it bad advertising?! I completely disagree with you. It was announced on the front news page, along with having a count-down timer for what, a week? 2 weeks (correct me if Im wrong...atleast a week though). The count-down timer was easily the biggest thing to distinguish that the Special Edition was going to end soon.

Bad advertising my ass. UWE are doing a great job. The price increase was bound to happen. They're indie, they need the money to further development. That's business for you. Besides, as many of you have said, the game is damn cheap for a good quality game, especially considering that the majority of us here probably have Alpha access right now. Let alone purchasing a game under 40 dollars and giving you beta access is still a steal. This game screams success in all kinds of ways including mod support, providing tools to the community, steam support, etc, etc.

@OP. I've waited 6 years, if not almost 7(the ammount of time I've been playing NS1) for NS2. If you were as big as a fan as myself or the rest of the NS community who are largely involved, you would have known about the special edition pre-order priced at 40 dollars or the standard edition pre-order being priced at 20 dollars and would have put your cash forward.

Also, having a job really helps a bunch.
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    Nobody should grumble about the way UWE marketed NS2. It was innovative and smart. I’ve played NS free for so many hours and had so much fun, that when I saw the request and option to pre-order I felt O.K. with spending the $40. Now I get to be connected to the community and with NS2 from the start. I’m happy. I’m saving up right now to pre-order NS3 and build the computer to play it.
  • BloodhouseBloodhouse Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72369Members
    I bought the special because of all those years of free NS 1 and wanted to give a little extra in recognition because I never got around to joining constellation. The black armor is icing. The cost even after the hike is ridiculously reasonable given its potential.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1794295:date=Aug 15 2010, 02:59 AM:name=Rothgar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rothgar @ Aug 15 2010, 02:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794295"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I somewhat agree that the price should be lower.

You could call it instead of a "Special Pre-Order" just a regular "Pre-Order".

At this stage it's still Pre-Ordering and not paying for a finished game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sooo sort of like how the news page has that big box on the right saying PRE ORDER NOW and before it said PRE ORDER SPECIAL EDITION with a counter?

I really, really don't get this thread. You pay less if you preorder, that's obvious and hell, it's <i>expected</i> nowadays given that every game released anywhere gives you a discount if you preorder it as welll as some extra stuff you don't really need but you buy anyway, which NS2 also has. If you wait longer the price goes up, so either preorder or pay full price.

This isn't rocket science people, it's basic practice for how games are sold nowadays, I'd be confused if they didn't hike the price as the game gets closer to release, hell I would expect another 5 dollar price hike on release day. 40 dollars is still a lot cheaper than most of the games nowadays, starcraft 2 costs 40 POUNDS in the shop where I live, and 35 is normal starting price for a PC game.

I cannot help but feel that everyone saying 'I think the game should be reduced because it's an indie game' and suchlike are really saying 'I'm cheap and don't want to pay for your game so give it to me for less'.

Whether a game is worth its asking money has (or so I thought) nothing to do with who makes it, it has everything to do with the quality of the game, if a new developer makes a good game, it should be priced accordingly, although I do note that blizzard seems to disagree by adding another 5 pounds onto starcraft presumably entirely because of brand power.
  • TurbosniglenTurbosniglen Join Date: 2010-08-13 Member: 73607Members
    OP is overreacting, I spent 40 dollars for the game I don't feel ripped off.
  • EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794318:date=Aug 14 2010, 03:36 PM:name=criticaI)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (criticaI @ Aug 14 2010, 03:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794318"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not that the price went up. It's just that those who went out a limb and paid for the game early got a discount for the risk and the time. Just how a a bank gives you interest for keeping your money for a certain time frame, if you are going to buy something far in advance when you could have used that money for something else, you expect some extra benefit to offset the costs of whatever else you could have spent the extra money on. Hence the black armor, alpha access, etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is still a risk. even now. I preordered, and dont mind a hike. Though I doubt the wisdom of the new price.

Right now, the game isnt out and pre-ordering doesnt provide any incentive until beta
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    I just got my Collectors edition of Starcraft 2 - gues what... it was <b>99$!</b> thats 3x the cost of what i gave for NS2 - Danm cheap if you ask me!
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794472:date=Aug 15 2010, 06:05 PM:name=GISP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GISP @ Aug 15 2010, 06:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just got my Collectors edition of Starcraft 2 - gues what... it was <b>99$!</b> thats 3x the cost of what i gave for NS2 - Danm cheap if you ask me!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's you being a noob fanboy and paying for an overpriced poster.
  • EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
    that lil 2gb dogtag memory stick is pretty cool though
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    Blizz isn't going to get any of my money as long as there is no LAN in there games.
  • SgtHydraSgtHydra Join Date: 2007-11-29 Member: 63046Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794274:date=Aug 14 2010, 05:49 PM:name=DarkSpirit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkSpirit @ Aug 14 2010, 05:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been waiting for two years for Natural Selection 2. I have wonderful memories of playing the original. Regardless I refuse to buy NS2 at its new price. I will not pay more just because I decided not to pre-order.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

u mad?
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1794399:date=Aug 16 2010, 01:44 AM:name=DarkSpirit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkSpirit @ Aug 16 2010, 01:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794399"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's exactly how I see it. I'm happy someone has sympathy for my view on this. I haven't forgotten about the steam sales. Hopefully there will be a December special.

Just wanted to share how I felt because I suspected I wouldn't be alone. In part, to explain why I and maybe others wouldn't be purchasing NS2 when it came out. I wasn't looking to start any flaming.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well the way I see it, you're not paying more - the price wasn't raised. You're just not paying less anymore - the price returned to its target point. This fact should have been properly advertised, however.

Having said that though, I think that $30 is a more reasonable price than $35. Not to piss on the efforts of the developers, but just because $30 is a more 'accessible' price than $35. It's all about the perspective; the psychology behind it. Maybe it's the fact that it's an indepently developed and published game, maybe it's the fact that it's digital distribution.

And I don't think he was a deliberate troll, but I do think you all chose to be trolled. The amount of venom and anger in this thread is amazing - just chill the ###### out.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1794507:date=Aug 16 2010, 02:56 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 16 2010, 02:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794507"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well the way I see it, you're not paying more - the price wasn't raised. You're just not paying less anymore - the price returned to its target point. This fact should have been properly advertised, however.

Having said that though, I think that $30 is a more reasonable price than $35. Not to piss on the efforts of the developers, but just because $30 is a more 'accessible' price than $35. It's all about the perspective; the psychology behind it. Maybe it's the fact that it's an indepently developed and published game, maybe it's the fact that it's digital distribution.

And I don't think he was a deliberate troll, but I do think you all chose to be trolled. The amount of venom and anger in this thread is amazing - just chill the ###### out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're comparing two prices with a difference of 5 dollars.

Seriously.

Get a job. It's 5 dollars. You could get two tall cans for that much now a days, maybe 3 if you like cheap beer.

Sounds like you're getting angry by the fact that everyone else is getting angry.

This thread is an obvious troll thread. Should be closed.
  • BisclavretBisclavret Join Date: 2010-07-29 Member: 73344Members
    In retail pricing, 29.99 is a much larger draw to the average consumer than 30.00, a difference of 1 penny. The same goes for sales where prices dip down to say, 24.95.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1794524:date=Aug 16 2010, 04:18 AM:name=Bisclavret)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bisclavret @ Aug 16 2010, 04:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794524"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In retail pricing, 29.99 is a much larger draw to the average consumer than 30.00, a difference of 1 penny. The same goes for sales where prices dip down to say, 24.95.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

exactly what i said in a previous thread somewhere. having worked retail for several years doing truck and stock, it's amazing how something can look that much more appealing if i were to put a price tag that's like a single buck lower than it should be. people see the 2 in twenty nine and think great deal! if it's thiry flat it's too expensive.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    damn, to think i coulda bought a new car "part" if i didn't buy NS2......or seven six shot esspresso's.....or 5 packs of smokes....or a whole bunch of porn mags....wait...you already bought out the porn mags didn't you?...bahhh
  • HarathanHarathan Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72845Members
    I think it's hilarious anyone would whine about paying $30 for a game. Try living in the UK. Ours cost £30. Youre already getting your games for half the price we do. Oh woe is you, youre so hard done by.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794545:date=Aug 16 2010, 12:45 PM:name=Harathan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harathan @ Aug 16 2010, 12:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794545"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it's hilarious anyone would whine about paying $30 for a game. Try living in the UK. Ours cost £30. Youre already getting your games for half the price we do. Oh woe is you, youre so hard done by.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think this necessarily has anything to do with the actual sum. It's more about the ethics and code of pricing and content.

For example nobody has any trouble in squeezing 5 bucks to buy a DLC for a game, but publishing DLC on the release day of the game could still be seen as a little questionable business.

I'm fine with the NS2 price increase, although I was taken a bit surprised by it too. I've got the special edition though, so I haven't got much feelings either way.
  • hookuyhookuy Join Date: 2008-07-18 Member: 64660Members
    Well, I got the SE as well, but was thinking on buying 3 or 4 more copies for my friends (standard ones), so i knew the SE was going to end, but not the standard one (the AD said as well as the counter, that the SE was ending, nothing about the standard one).

Even with this, I don't complain, and I will buy the other copies even if I'm gonna pay a lot more if I have had the money to buy those when the 20 bucks deal.

Guys, you deserve my money. :)
This discussion has been closed.