I'm disapointed in unkown worlds for raising the price.

DarkSpiritDarkSpirit Join Date: 2010-08-14 Member: 73628Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Will not be buying NS2</div>I've been waiting for two years for Natural Selection 2. I have wonderful memories of playing the original. Regardless I refuse to buy NS2 at its new price. I will not pay more just because I decided not to pre-order.

Comments

• SajSaj Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12936Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • djcarbinedjcarbine Join Date: 2010-08-14 Member: 73630Members
    Let me get this straight.
    You waited 2 years for a game, which you obviously wanted to play

You then refuse to pay for the game because the price went up 10 dollars?

Don't get the game then, you won't be missed
  • ExroathExroath Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72441Members
    you waited 2 years .. but didnt buy it at the lower price? i agree STFU GTFO
    you had plenty of time to buy it .. its your own fault
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    lol u snooze u loose chump... shoulda got it while the getting was good
  • DJ SplendidDJ Splendid Join Date: 2010-08-14 Member: 73629Members, Constellation
    edited August 2010
    Erm. @ OP:

It's not that it's a higher cost to those henceforth.

It's that it was a reduced cost for those willing to take the risk paying for something not even in Alpha yet.

Horses/courses sure, but at least this paradigm fits the reality without pushing the nerdrage button quite so firmly.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    (note: i've already pre-ordered)

I was a little discouraged by the extent of the price hike. It's no doubt trying to create a perception of higher quality, but the type of games it's competing with seem to start at $30 and go down. I'm not sure what the plan is for the future, but it's discouraging some purchases at the moment. What's worse is that I didn't see any comment about the rationale for this price point after years of talking about the $20-30 range. Sure, $5 more is nothing for such a great game, but it's created a problem nonetheless. If the $35 price point stays, I suggest noting a 10% discount on new pre-orders. That would stimulate some more purchases.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree that the extent of the price hike felt a little deceptive... If people had known that the special edition only cost $5 more than the retail version was going to, plenty of them no doubt would have gone for it. The fact that there was going to be a price increase definitely should have been better publicized too. That said it makes perfect sense for the early adopters to get a cheaper price - they're the sole reason UWE has the money today to keep the game going.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    It's fairly standard that you pay less if you preorder, otherwise what's the point of preordering for digital distribution? It's not like you won't be able to get a copy if you don't.
  • BlitzThoseBlitzThose Aberdeen, Scotland Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71342Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1794274:date=Aug 15 2010, 01:49 AM:name=DarkSpirit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkSpirit @ Aug 15 2010, 01:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been waiting for two years for Natural Selection 2. I have wonderful memories of playing the original. Regardless I refuse to buy NS2 at its new price. I will not pay more just because I decided not to pre-order.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

boohooo hooo, cry baby bubbles
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1794274:date=Aug 14 2010, 07:49 PM:name=DarkSpirit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkSpirit @ Aug 14 2010, 07:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been waiting for two years for Natural Selection 2. I have wonderful memories of playing the original. Regardless I refuse to buy NS2 at its new price. I will not pay more just because I decided not to pre-order.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indie devs often give large discounts for pre-orderes. UWE isn't doing anything new here.
    If this turns you off, I sincerely hope you will put the research into every other indie game you ever buy to make sure the pre-order price was the same as the end retail price, and then not purchase it if they had a discount for pre-ordering.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794274:date=Aug 14 2010, 08:49 PM:name=DarkSpirit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkSpirit @ Aug 14 2010, 08:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been waiting for two years for Natural Selection 2. I have wonderful memories of playing the original. Regardless I refuse to buy NS2 at its new price. I will not pay more just because I decided not to pre-order.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You've not been involved in the community till today, your only contribution so far is to make a thread in order vocalize an opinion that has no constructive merit. In fact, I suspect you'll never even check this forum again, and if you do it had better be to apologize, otherwise you are not welcome here.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    "I'm <b>disapointed</b> in <b>unkown</b> worlds for raising the price<b>., </b>Will not be buying NS2"

This thread was destined for fail.
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1794290:date=Aug 14 2010, 08:48 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Aug 14 2010, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794290"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"I'm <b>disapointed</b> in <b>unkown</b> worlds for raising the price<b>., </b>Will not be buying NS2"

This thread was destined for fail.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As is a retort post who's only content is spelling/grammatical corrections.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited August 2010
    DarkSprit we are disapointed by you ! Just Patience !
    This is alpha and not beta is up yet so i think you are not enough to imagine what NS 2.0 will be.

There are a lot of very high level players here with both aim & tactical skilled.

I think Yes, You should go from here !
  • RothgarRothgar Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69372Members
    I somewhat agree that the price should be lower.

You could call it instead of a "Special Pre-Order" just a regular "Pre-Order".

At this stage it's still Pre-Ordering and not paying for a finished game.

If UWE wants to they could raise it for full release but it should somewhat discounted for Pre-Orders which is the norm.

In the end they are basically shelling out cash for something they can't play yet.

You could note that these new "Pre-Orders" won't get the benefits for example that we currently have such as Alpha access, black armor etc.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    I guess you'll just have to go and buy all those other PC games that don't even bother to let you buy them cheaper if you preorder really early. Of course that's so much better, how could I have been so blind? Clearly Unknown Worlds made a huge mistake and really should have just gone with the higher price from the beginning. Maybe they'll learn from their mistake and charge extra $$$ to everyone who preordered, somehow.
  • rofldinhorofldinho Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68259Members
    Firstly, if UWE are successful in making the game as they intend it to be, imo it'll be worth the same amount as leading games like Bad Company 2 and Modern Warfare 2, i.e. the top retailing multiplayer FPS games around. Maybe there's no Single Player campaign, but then UWE won't be ripping customers off like others do with pathetic DLC, and furthermore the depth of NS2 will come from community mods, maps, long term developer support, etc etc. So NS2 will (hopefully) be both a top multiplayer game, and have far better support over the long term, making it much better value for money overall. Even at $35.

Secondly, why get so upset over the price anyway? I'm sure there'll be an NS2 Steam SALE at some point after release. All games have a sale, it's inevitable in every product life cycle in every retail store, so there will undoubtedly be one down the road at some point after the game goes retail. So just be patient, wait for the sale price, and you'll get the game cheaper than the rest of us (imo a 50% off sale, pricing NS2 temporarily at $17.50, could be great for UWE if the game works well - seeing NS2 at the top of the sales charts in Steam would be a great feat). The downside is of course you don't know how long you have to wait till a sale comes in (for example I doubt Modern Warfare 2 will have a sale anytime soon, as it's publishers are far too greedy and will delay any sale as much as possible during it's product cycle), hence why those of us who've paid the higher price get the luxury of playing when we want when the game does go beta/retail.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794292:date=Aug 15 2010, 02:53 AM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Aug 15 2010, 02:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794292"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As is a retort post <b>who's</b> only content is spelling/grammatical corrections.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Some might benefit.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Ok, first off guys. Let's try and be nice to the new guy, ok?

Yes, the price went up as it usually does with any pre-order. They gave a steep discount as people were pre-ordering a game based off one trailer and no actual gameplay footage itself. I think that requires a big incentive to get people to drop their money down. On top of that, they waited over a year before they got their hands on the alpha of the game. We're dealing with a full fledged FPS and then a full tech-tree RTS on top of that (literally) which means this is not your $20 indie game, but at $35 this is still almost half the price of many new games coming out these days.
  • ShzarShzar Join Date: 2003-09-21 Member: 21098Members, Constellation
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1794305:date=Aug 14 2010, 09:44 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Aug 14 2010, 09:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794305"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some might benefit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Damn, you beat me to it.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    you had an option to buy it at 20$ for a long time. why didn't you? take responsibility, it's your own fault.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    They DID announce the price would increase when the Alpha was released, right?
    I'm sure you had plenty of time to act accordingly.
  • criticaIcriticaI Join Date: 2003-04-07 Member: 15269Banned, Constellation
    It's not that the price went up. It's just that those who went out a limb and paid for the game early got a discount for the risk and the time. Just how a a bank gives you interest for keeping your money for a certain time frame, if you are going to buy something far in advance when you could have used that money for something else, you expect some extra benefit to offset the costs of whatever else you could have spent the extra money on. Hence the black armor, alpha access, etc.
  • SturmwindSturmwind Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72589Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1794274:date=Aug 15 2010, 02:49 AM:name=DarkSpirit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkSpirit @ Aug 15 2010, 02:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been waiting for two years for Natural Selection 2. I have wonderful memories of playing the original. Regardless I refuse to buy NS2 at its new price. I will not pay more just because I decided not to pre-order.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Just in case you didn't know already, <!--coloro:#ffff00--><span style="color:#ffff00"><!--/coloro-->life is about taking risks<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> ;-)

edit:typo
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    Has anyone noticed that he <b>joined yesterday</b>? And that the thread was posted 19 minutes after he joined?
    What is totally awesome is that he has an overwhelming total of <b>Posts: 1</b>

This is what we all known as a Mega TroLOL.
  • EyelessEyeless Join Date: 2010-02-01 Member: 70391Members
    why is everyone feeding this guys stupid rage with paragraph long explanations? You missed out, should have paid for it sooner if u like it so much, and its still cheaper then most 50-60 dollar games. Get over it. The end.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794327:date=Aug 15 2010, 01:08 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Aug 15 2010, 01:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794327"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has anyone noticed that he <b>joined yesterday</b>? And that the thread was posted 19 minutes after he joined?

This is what we all known as a Mega TroLOL.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Probably this.
  • StryverStryver Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72894Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794327:date=Aug 15 2010, 01:08 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Aug 15 2010, 01:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794327"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has anyone noticed that he <b>joined yesterday</b>? And that the thread was posted 19 minutes after he joined?

This is what we all known as a Mega TroLOL.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's not a "Mega TroLOL" he's a successful troll period, he managed to get the majority of the first page to all go "Your an idiot for waiting 2 years etc". I must say I'm disappointed it took till mid second page for ANYONE to point out the obvious.
  • EyelessEyeless Join Date: 2010-02-01 Member: 70391Members
    get ready for plenty of disappointment in this forum then.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Dont worry, I doubt you miss a lot until beta and knowing UWE they are most likely to hold some buy-the-game event eventually (probably before release) that offers something else / lower the price for short period of time.
This discussion has been closed.