Natural Selection 2 News Update - Alpha Patch #2 released (Build 151)

Comments

• Soli Deo GloriaSoli Deo Gloria Join Date: 2009-06-25 Member: 67926Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794061:date=Aug 13 2010, 09:29 PM:name=Lorenzo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lorenzo @ Aug 13 2010, 09:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794061"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- range on lerk spikes its supposed to be so short? or some sorta bug? (never played lerk on the alpha)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1794063:date=Aug 13 2010, 09:35 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Aug 13 2010, 09:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794063"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The lerk spikes are supposed to be medium range I think.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It would seem that way. Try right clicking when you have spikes out. It zooms the view of the lerk in and fires them much slower.
    So
    zoomed out = rapid fire, large cone, medium range
    and
    zoomed in = "semi-auto", precision, long range
  • Evil_bOb1Evil_bOb1 Join Date: 2002-07-13 Member: 938Members, Squad Five Blue
    I don't think they look here for bugs anymore. Just to see what ppl are saying.

Anyway way to go NS2 team!! Everything is coming along nicely. Had a little game earlier on. Alpha game I admit but you can get the feel of what ns2 will be as it finishes up. It was pretty fun already. There was that lag problem for sure at the beginning but somehow it came to be 'reasonably' smooth as the game went.

This is really going good!!! And it feels sooo NS without it being a clone. muahahahha this game will rock!!
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    The doors are a really nice addition. That's gonna be a lot of fun later on when you're locked in with aliens trying to break in.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2010
    lerk spikes don't have a short range. the normal lerk spikes are a ballistic weapon, sort of like the grenade launcher trajectory that starts out flat instead of angled up. the zoomed-in version seems to be a hitscan weapon.
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    most of my found bugs have already been reported. Lag is what makes the game unplayable for me . I'm running a 8800GT on high, It works good on LAN but on a server lag is really bad. On the plus side I'm really happy about the upgrades. My thoughts were ""damn lag, that's neat, damn lag, I like that, damn lag, cool, damn lag, that's funny, damn lag, etc. ........
  • nirvanaXOnirvanaXO Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70747Members
    The game is vicious with surprises on every corner! Don't expect falling asleep on this kind of gameplay.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794076:date=Aug 14 2010, 11:49 AM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Aug 14 2010, 11:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794076"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Awesome job guys! The marine building is a huge asset to have back in the game, its like they say, you don't know what you got until its gone. With the huge improvements from every update.. I can't wait to see whats coming next.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Meh. Quit your preaching.
  • InkInk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68499Members
    I still cant play (nvidia 6800) not the games fault this time really only my outdated Gpu.

Except i noticed a pretty big differnce in my fps, its still low but a lot nicer and smooth.

This patch is massive and a great job, you guys are doing fanatastic, cant wait for more, at this rate you guys will have this in beta sooner than im sure most of the people here thought.

Now go get some sleep, or more 5 hour energy, either one works.
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794110:date=Aug 14 2010, 02:01 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 14 2010, 02:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Meh. Quit your preaching.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

First and foremost.. who the hell are you?

Second it was directed towards the developers only, and it's called praise not preaching, check the dictionary.
  • GenomaxterGenomaxter Join Date: 2003-10-11 Member: 21597Members
    I get a runtime error now. I can't even open a private game. Gonna try a reinstall... :(
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Good job guys!

Hopped on for about 20 minutes and I was impressed how far its come after just the second patch. Hit detection is much improved and you can actually kill stuff now.

I didn't have a terribly laggy time. I was on a server, getting around 150 or so. Not ideal, but playable.

It played so much better, I was having lots of fun. Thanks for the improvements.

On a side note ... calm down about the marine building ... man. Its the 2nd patch. <b>LOTS</b> of things will be changing, added or removed ... this wont be the first or last change to the game ....
  • SkeithySkeithy Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72348Members
    Yeah, I still can't join the majority of servers and the ones I can are unplayably laggy.

NS2's alpha not working is just infuriating because it appears to work in every other aspect.
  • ArcadianArcadian Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65617Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1794085:date=Aug 14 2010, 12:11 AM:name=KatanaSwordfish)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KatanaSwordfish @ Aug 14 2010, 12:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794085"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Beta comes after alpha... you know, in ALPHABETICAL order...

-- Moving on... --

<i>The lag issue is the #1 top priority thing that needs fixing as of now.</i> Until the lag is fixed it's very difficult for us to test anything else. <b>The core game mechanics (walking around, shooting, building, net-code, etc.) need to be really nailed down and worked on before anything educated can really be said about the way the game plays. It's far to soon to be deciding if certain game-play aspects of the game design work or not.</b> I have some reservations about some of the changes to the game play dynamic (built bots and commander/marine independence, etc.) but I can't really say for sure at this point if my concerns are legitimate until the game's core mechanics are functioning smoothly.

I have to say that I really appreciate the devs work and the overall scope of their ambitions with NS2. For every glitch and bug that is in the alpha right now, there is a lot of really impressive stuff that is working perfectly behind the scenes.

It's easy to get caught up on the latest problem with the engine, and it's even easier to let that make us have 'tunnel vision' and become ignorant of everything that the developers have done exceptionally well up until this point. However, I think it's really worth noting that MANY (if not all) of these problems are indicative of the game's current stage of development (early alpha) and are a very natural part of the game development process. We (as a community) have to work hard to insure that these problems get fixed in due time, however, we also have to respect the quality of the engine so far. Sure it has it's small kinks right now, but we also should commend the devs for starting from 100% scratch and coming up with a very solid and great looking engine with tons of modding potential.

As of right now, there are no NS2 players. There are only testers. We have to do our duty as testers to help illuminate these problems and help the developers find a suitable solution.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Impressive changelist. I'll give it a run once I've got time to do it.
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    Changelog sounds good.

Thanks for the update.

I am wondering how you are handling all old bug reports now?
    Manually close resolved issues?
    Close all Issues and mark with appropriate version number?
    Just curiosity on my side.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794031:date=Aug 13 2010, 05:25 PM:name=WhiteZero)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WhiteZero @ Aug 13 2010, 05:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794031"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I said it once and I'll say it again, you don't need 60 FPS to find bugs. If your at least getting 15-20FPS then your fine for now.

Lag issues come before FPS optimization.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

????????

i get 7 - 11 (11 in the rr looking at the corner not moving) on an AMD 3800+ with a 9500GT 1GB vid card.....i want what your running!!!!!!!!
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    lag seems ok on LAN or a server with 2-4 players...once it goes over 4, it becomes almost unplayably laggy
  • BloodhouseBloodhouse Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72369Members
    Great job guys. I've seen a big improvement. And I seem to be in the minority of not getting much lag at all!
    Hit reg is better, com mode is smoother and not falling through the ready room floor is nice :) How does the armory get upgraded now though?
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    Big improvements amused me for quite a while. The MACs and Drifters being able to attack is hilarious (the marine comm killed my drifter :'( ). Biggest issue is the server side lag, I presume that's what making me have to place RTs repeated before they spawn.

Also anyone know if you're supposed to be able to place RTs when a builder isn't right next to one? because there's no feedback (like "not in range") but I've only ever been able to place RTs with a drifter / mac right there, quite hard to know if I'm doing it right!
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited August 2010
    Finaly its working better(no model errors or weird texts), great work!
    Keep it and we have some day a great game ^^
  • RedeemerRedeemer Join Date: 2004-01-20 Member: 25521Members, Constellation
    Downloading right now at ~200KB/s ... the switch to Steam was a great Idea.

Thanx for the update and the effort u put in the game. I will try it in a few mins *me exited to try the changes*
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1794008:date=Aug 14 2010, 09:38 AM:name=rofldinho)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rofldinho @ Aug 14 2010, 09:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794008"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The lag is worse. Really, really bad compared to the last release. Like I'm not even pressing buttons and my skulk is moving around and leaping. And it's not even based on previous button presses, like I'm running around and it's auto-leaping.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Getting the same problems, and wild lag spikes
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794113:date=Aug 14 2010, 03:13 PM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Aug 14 2010, 03:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794113"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->First and foremost.. who the hell are you?

Second it was directed towards the developers only, and it's called praise not preaching, check the dictionary.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "You did a good job, guys! Because you did things the way I wanted! Now the problem is solved because it's consistent with MY opinion. Take THAT, anti-marine-building guys! I'm going to rub it in!" is essentially what your post boils down to. "Preaching" was too good a word for it, really - so I apologise.
  • oOgAoOgA Join Date: 2004-01-29 Member: 25715Members
    edited August 2010
    an issue which i reported during ns2 gameplay. wonder if u guys experience it.

spawn as marine, go back to RR, spawn in as kharra

move around and suddenly, your character strafe right by itself. holding down the strafe left button will stop this but your skulk will not be able to strafe left either. releasing it and you will continue strafing right until u hit a wall

Using everglide conventional keyboard with razer deathadder, windows 7 ult x64, radeon 4870,
  • SturmwindSturmwind Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72589Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794147:date=Aug 14 2010, 02:14 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 14 2010, 02:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"You did a good job, guys! Because you did things the way I wanted! Now the problem is solved because it's consistent with MY opinion. Take THAT, anti-marine-building guys! I'm going to rub it in!" is essentially what your post boils down to. "Preaching" was too good a word for it, really - so I apologise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I second that analysis ;-)

on topic:

After having "played" for like an hour, i would sum up my personal, empirically unvalidated first impression as:

<ul><li>lag-issue minimally improved</li><li>hitbox-issue dito</li><li>connect-issue improved (or i was just lucky ,-)</li><li>new grapics bug "hovering armslab"</li><li>opening and closing doors animation seems somewhat aprupt</li><li>all in all => <!--coloro:#ffff00--><span style="color:#ffff00"><!--/coloro-->a small step into the right direction<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> - congrats devs</li><li>p.s. i did not test marine-building for purely ideologic reasons ;-)</li></ul>

<ul><li></li></ul>
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    was is just me, or was the infantry portal also hovering sometimes? :o
  • HeavenfallHeavenfall Join Date: 2010-08-14 Member: 73620Members
    Step(s) in the right direction, still in alpha. Looking forward to a playable beta.
  • Ryo-OhkiRyo-Ohki Join Date: 2009-03-26 Member: 66917Members
    This patch was an important step in the right direction. The game is certainly more playable in this release than the previous one. That being said, I still wouldn't class it as being in a playable state.

The bad

- Hit detection has improved, but it's still woeful.
    - As the number of players on a server increases, FPS drops significantly and meele lag/hitbox lag increases greatly. By the time you hit around 12 players total, it's a slide-show.
    - Marine buildings are now sometimes hovaring without flapping.

The good

- New sounds on the rifles are good
    - Building death animations are AWESOME! Love watching resource extractors fall apart.
  • EldonEldon Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72414Members, Constellation
    Before this patch I couldn't play - now today I had a great go at it, actually got a couple of kills and had a good time. Still got a few lag spikes - some that disconnected me, but mostly it was pretty good.

However, now I can't get into a comm chair or evolve anymore. While others on the same server could evolve to lerk/gorge etc I could not :(

Anyone else having these issues?

(BTW all in all, excellent patch - I'm actually enjoying the alpha now).
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1794147:date=Aug 14 2010, 07:14 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 14 2010, 07:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794147"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"You did a good job, guys! Because you did things the way I wanted! Now the problem is solved because it's consistent with MY opinion. Take THAT, anti-marine-building guys! I'm going to rub it in!" is essentially what your post boils down to. "Preaching" was too good a word for it, really - so I apologise.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So in other aspects lets get rid of marine building because it's the way Harimau wanted. Because his belief is that marine building is wrong and I'm going to preach about how people who support marine building are a bunch of preachers.

See the pointless this boils down to?