Cheating in NS2

123457»

Comments

• UzguzUzguz Join Date: 2003-06-05 Member: 17016Members, Constellation
    Oh for crying out loud...

Here's a suggestion that, if followed, ought to improve this thread's quality of information tremendously: From now on, every time anyone mentions a particular NS1 script, they must describe exactly what it actually <i>does,</i> in detail, before using it in any of their points.

Bearing in mind, of course, the fact that many of the "scripts" people are complaining about in here actually don't exist.

Anyway, isn't this thread supposed to be about how NS2 will prevent client hooks? Which clown turned it into a scripting debate in the first place?
  • DON_MACDON_MAC Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34307Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1793820:date=Aug 12 2010, 09:32 PM:name=Destrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destrock @ Aug 12 2010, 09:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->im laughing too with that pistol script lol. ppl using it never hit me because i never bunny up like all other player and i eat them easy. its always funny, i have personally no prob with that pistol script but i have with the bunny up and those for the fade. (i dont know if there is scripts for lerk but i dont see the use because we always need adrenaline for flying...)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    For the sake of clarity, could you describe what these scripts you keep referring to actually do? Why would a pistol script only kill skulks who "bunny up?" What criteria do you use to determine whether or not you think someone is using a pistol script? What is a "bunny up" script? What fade scripts are you talking about? What do they do? What, specifically, are your problems with them? If you don't think there is any use for lerk scripts because lerks need adrenaline to fly then why do you think there is a use for fade scripts? Don't fades always need adrenaline to blink?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if you dont use scripts you lose 25 % speed/reaction/control/imagination/strategic plan you have nothing to think except rushing the hive or the cc with ur little bs bunny up script and killing everything easy just by pressing 2 button and controlling the view with ur mouse...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually, to bunny hop <i>and</i> kill everything, you need to press at least 4 buttons whether or not you use scripts.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    And what the hell is a "bunny up"? A bunny in an space ship? A bunny over your head? Or just bunnies inside the mind of the one that think scripts are cheats?

By the way, that fade scripts that let you one hit kill are awesome. Always a perfect hit no matter what the marine is doing (move to sides, jump, crouch). Cool right?

With a Lerk you don't need scripts, you only need skill and know how to fly around. I learned it too late.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1793864:date=Aug 13 2010, 07:23 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Aug 13 2010, 07:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793864"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->By the way, that fade scripts that let you one hit kill are awesome. Always a perfect hit no matter what the marine is doing (move to sides, jump, crouch). Cool right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh yeah, this script is so amazing, the devs even included it as an upgrade called focus.
  • TgaudTgaud Join Date: 2009-05-01 Member: 67323Members
    there is a cheatcode option in hallife.
    SO it's part of the engine, can we call it legit ?
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793882:date=Aug 13 2010, 10:15 AM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Aug 13 2010, 10:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793882"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->there is a cheatcode option in hallife.
    SO it's part of the engine, can we call it legit ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, if sv_cheats is on.
  • Soli Deo GloriaSoli Deo Gloria Join Date: 2009-06-25 Member: 67926Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793882:date=Aug 13 2010, 02:15 AM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Aug 13 2010, 02:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793882"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->there is a cheatcode OPTION in hallife.
    SO it's part of the engine, can we call it legit ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, because it is a CVAR (Custom variable) not a command.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793726:date=Aug 12 2010, 10:23 AM:name=Tgaud)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tgaud @ Aug 12 2010, 10:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793726"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's same for pistol script, it makes you fire very fast in all confort<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I do this without scripts =) a certain fps and a fast finger make this easy. Not to mention a musician with quick fingers to begin with
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    edited August 2010
    I CAN'T TAKE IT.

WHY ARE MORONS TRYING TO ARGUE ABOUT SOMETHING THEY CLEARLY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.

Seriously, either you are some of the dumbest people I have ever met in the NS community or you are all epic trolls coordinating your stupidity over IRC.

CAPSLOCKISAUTOPILOTFORCOOL
  • lazylazy Join Date: 2005-07-23 Member: 56631Members
    wow, this is much worse than what I remember from the old days, with voogru and all.
    <!--quoteo(post=1793870:date=Aug 13 2010, 03:08 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Aug 13 2010, 03:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793870"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh yeah, this script is so amazing, the devs even included it as an upgrade called focus.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, not that one. I mean the one you use before you can get focus, and that is without sensories up.
    Anyway, I managed to dodge some focus attacks but not this amazing script attacks.

By the way, I don't say that such script is wrong or anything related to that, I just say what I saw, and of course never managed to do such perfect performace as Fade (one atack, one hit, one kill every time, never miss), with focus and all the upgrades there, but I do blink really nice.
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    edited August 2010
    You do realize that nothing near what you describe even exists right? Scripts only use console commands, they can't just script one-shot-swipe.. You were probably low on health/armour to the point where you get one swiped.

I really don't get how you, being a player from at least 2005, could not know this stuff.
  • EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1793917:date=Aug 13 2010, 04:18 PM:name=Prefix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prefix @ Aug 13 2010, 04:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793917"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You do realize that nothing near what you describe even exists right? Scripts only use console commands, they can't just script one-shot-swipe.. You were probably low on health/armour to the point where you get one swiped.

I really don't get how you, being a player from at least 2005, could not know this stuff.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    fairly sure he's being sarcastic, if you look at his other posts...
  • DestrockDestrock Join Date: 2005-01-14 Member: 35500Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For the sake of clarity, could you describe what these scripts you keep referring to actually do? Why would a pistol script only kill skulks who "bunny up?" What criteria do you use to determine whether or not you think someone is using a pistol script? What is a "bunny up" script? What fade scripts are you talking about? What do they do? What, specifically, are your problems with them? If you don't think there is any use for lerk scripts because lerks need adrenaline to fly then why do you think there is a use for fade scripts? Don't fades always need adrenaline to blink?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ok i will try to explain this in detail (i have difficulties to write in english...)

what i mean with the pistol script killing ppl doing bunny up is : with a script u press only 1 button and all ur bullets are firing and you cant stop it. when a marine use that its because his gun is empty and he need to be fast (or just for shooting at long distance the pistol is better). when you need to react fast you have no time to think. you are (if its the good word to use) unconscious/careless and you react just with your skill. but because almost everybody is bunny upping in ns1 you automatically aim 1 or 2 meter from the ground because you are 100 % sure the alien will try to bunny up and eat your head with a leap in the last second... how ME i play is by never jumping but only strafing left-right like neo in the matrix lol and eating his feet and always turning around him with celerity so hes completely confuse. i dont care the head there is no hs in ns1... so ppl never hit me with their pistol script because they never move their aim to the ground.

what is a bunny up script : <a href="http://www.ensl.org/articles/417" target="_blank">http://www.ensl.org/articles/417</a> <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What this script does is that it makes sure that the very moment you hit the ground; Half-Life will execute another jump, which increases your speed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> so it make the bunny up easier. you never miss it.

fade script : <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t88497.html" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/lofive...php/t88497.html</a> in general what i hate with those fade script is : we normally not have the time to think 1. how i am gonna fly for evading those 3 marines with shotty ? 2. how i am gonna hit and run them ? 3. how i am gonna kill them 1 by 1 and be sure i have enough hp to push them away of their shoty on the ground so they can disappear ? 4. how can i regen my hp (i forgot the name of that ability) while flying so i dont lose time ? 5. how can i have enough energy to do everything i want ? we (as legit player) need to think all this when playing and we need to think on wich button pressing (number 1 2 3 4 5 space bar...). you (script user) only need to think like " ok now its left mouse button, ah ok now right mouse button... " its so ###### easy.... there is no challenge in it.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you don't think there is any use for lerk scripts because lerks need adrenaline to fly then why do you think there is a use for fade scripts? Don't fades always need adrenaline to blink?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ok i didnt play ns for 2 or 3 year i dont remember the name of the movement chamber upgrade who boost our adrenaline regen but when we use that as fade we almost never need adrenaline. as lerk the celerity is better because we are too fragile.we are suppose to scout and gaz with lerk except if there is an easy marine isolated to kill so we dont need a lot of adrenaline. if you play with script with a lerk ur noob because if u do its because ur trying to play melee...
    That fade script was to make it easier to blink and swipe, that is actually built into the current version of ns1. Also, the part of bunny hopping that requires skill is the movement, sure timing the jump makes it a little bit faster, but if you can't do the movement then that script is useless anyway.
    <!--quoteo(post=1793946:date=Aug 13 2010, 01:51 PM:name=Destrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destrock @ Aug 13 2010, 01:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793946"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->what is a bunny up script : <a href="http://www.ensl.org/articles/417" target="_blank">http://www.ensl.org/articles/417</a> so it make the bunny up easier. you never miss it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This script does the jump command three times for every one time the space bar is pressed. Bunnyhopping is a skill completely unrelated to scripting. All a script does is help the timing of it and this even is only because people with higher fps can't time their jumps as good as people with low fps.
    <!--quoteo(post=1793946:date=Aug 13 2010, 01:51 PM:name=Destrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destrock @ Aug 13 2010, 01:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793946"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->fade script : <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t88497.html" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/lofive...php/t88497.html</a> in general what i hate with those fade script is : we normally not have the time to think 1. how i am gonna fly for evading those 3 marines with shotty ? 2. how i am gonna hit and run them ? 3. how i am gonna kill them 1 by 1 and be sure i have enough hp to push them away of their shoty on the ground so they can disappear ? 4. how can i regen my hp (i forgot the name of that ability) while flying so i dont lose time ? 5. how can i have enough energy to do everything i want ? we (as legit player) need to think all this when playing and we need to think on wich button pressing (number 1 2 3 4 5 space bar...). you (script user) only need to think like " ok now its left mouse button, ah ok now right mouse button... " its so ###### easy.... there is no challenge in it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think this script does what you think it does. I changes what the mouse keys are bound to depending on what the user is pressing. The user still has plenty to think about, maybe more even, the only difference is really that it is all conTROLLed by the hand on the mouse and the two mouse buttons. Certain users may find this easier but many will not. The reason is it takes a lot more thought to do something with two buttons than three or four. The reason users would like this is they have "habits" during gameplay so they wouldn't be restricted by this quirk, "Okay I normally blink and then swipe and then blink and then switch weapons back" so they make their binds act accordingly.
    <!--quoteo(post=1793946:date=Aug 13 2010, 01:51 PM:name=Destrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destrock @ Aug 13 2010, 01:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793946"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ok i didnt play ns for 2 or 3 year i dont remember the name of the movement chamber upgrade who boost our adrenaline regen but when we use that as fade we almost never need adrenaline. as lerk the celerity is better because we are too fragile.we are suppose to scout and gaz with lerk except if there is an easy marine isolated to kill so we dont need a lot of adrenaline. if you play with script with a lerk ur noob because if u do its because ur trying to play melee...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There is no script that I can imagine that can make better use of energy, or give you more of it. This sounds like you crying over good lerks. Scripts CAN NOT DO THING YOU COULDN'T NORMALLY DO. They can only perform them more consistently (Depending on your fps and the amount of wait commands in the script) or faster. Even still, not all scripts have anything to do with gameplay. You are so completely biased against something you don't understand, have never tried to understand, have never used, and know nothing about the technical limitations of that from here on out your opinion on the matter is VOID.
  • fanaticfanatic This post has been edited. Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18377Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2010
    bind mouse2 +movement

bind mwheelup +jump

God damn script0rz
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You are so completely biased against something you don't understand, have never tried to understand, have never used, and know nothing about the technical limitations of that from here on out your opinion on the matter is VOID.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

k cheak si chu po asser clair ma tel dire deminme dabord pi tu traduira dla maniere que tu veu jmen calis

kc que je dit c que les script sa facilite trop la vie. je dit po que sa fait des affaire special quon est normalement po supposer osti.

ceux qui prenne des scripts on po besoin de penser a rien appart se battre. yon po besoin de penser a aucune strategy du genre bon la faut je back sinon jva avoir de la misere a flyer dicit a cause du pti plafond pi jva chier des tak... ceux qui prenne des script pese juste sur 1 seul piton pi sa fait 3 affaire en meme temps fack peu importe kc qui se passe ya po trop trop de stresss a se pousser ou foncer dans le tat. vous pouvez dire que chu noob si chu po capable de penser (autrement dit jouer a 1 jeu) mais serieux dans 1 game on est senser avoir plusieurs affaire a penser sinon vous etes des calis de teammate noob pi les com peuvent ben avoir de la misere a donner des ordres...
    <!--quoteo(post=1793980:date=Aug 13 2010, 05:34 PM:name=Destrock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destrock @ Aug 13 2010, 05:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->k cheak si chu po asser clair ma tel dire deminme dabord pi tu traduira dla maniere que tu veu jmen calis

kc que je dit c que les script sa facilite trop la vie. je dit po que sa fait des affaire special quon est normalement po supposer osti.

ceux qui prenne des scripts on po besoin de penser a rien appart se battre. yon po besoin de penser a aucune strategy du genre bon la faut je back sinon jva avoir de la misere a flyer dicit a cause du pti plafond pi jva chier des tak... ceux qui prenne des script pese juste sur 1 seul piton pi sa fait 3 affaire en meme temps fack peu importe kc qui se passe ya po trop trop de stresss a se pousser ou foncer dans le tat. vous pouvez dire que chu noob si chu po capable de penser (autrement dit jouer a 1 jeu) mais serieux dans 1 game on est senser avoir plusieurs affaire a penser sinon vous etes des calis de teammate noob pi les com peuvent ben avoir de la misere a donner des ordres...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Anyone know French?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2010
    Isn't this a conversation from about 12 years ago? Not on this forum obviously, but still 12 years ago... I thought this thread was about catching real cheats not scripts...
    <!--quoteo(post=1793984:date=Aug 13 2010, 05:42 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Aug 13 2010, 05:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Isn't this a conversation from about 12 years ago? Not on this forum obviously, but still 12 years ago... I thought this thread was about catching real cheats not scripts...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The discussion has changed to "Scripting - Is it cheating?" so it still fits the topic matter partially.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah, but still... We Dutch have a saying "oude koeien uit de sloot halen" I guess it would translate into "to open up old wounds"
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone know French?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

actually this is quebeker lol but u guys can return to ur hack discussion i will not write other thing here
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited August 2010
    1. It's impossible to stop hacking in NS2 (and their won't be a NS2 if we start moving developers to treat a problem that doesn't exist yet, especially when many say the game is unplayable). Also if we assume it's impossible to stop hacking, then this thread turns into nothing more then a waste of memory, and a classic example of fear mongering.

2. Many players accuse others of hacking wrongfully (in fact their's a very good chance your assessment will be incorrect... most likely caused by lag maybe an engine glitch). Sometimes people who hack accuse others to misguide everyones attention. And sometimes their is something psychologically wrong with the person that accuses half the server of hacking.

3. In NS2, a "script" is going to come in the form of modifications/additions of lua files. The engine is intended to be modded. Any discussion about "COMPLETELY stopping scripters" in NS2 is the same as saying "we must COMPLETELY stop people from modding NS2" (which would have to include preventing people from having custom models). Ya doesn't sound so appealing when the "OMG SCRIPTERS!!!1" isn't used to describe this.

4. Are you kidding me. You are afraid of pistol-scripts? Allow me to introduce you to my fully-automatic bottomless-magazine ass-kicking pulse rifle and Mr. Flamethrower.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1793983:date=Aug 13 2010, 06:41 PM:name=Soli Deo Gloria)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soli Deo Gloria @ Aug 13 2010, 06:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793983"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Anyone know French?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Trust me, it's not worth translating. Not at all.
    This full thread is a joke, you can't take me so seriously...
    But what I say on the blink/swipe one hit kill is real, I saw it a lot. And I was with full health/armour. It is funny to see when that happens, because those guys never miss a single hit. No, no focus.
    I have played with many players using such a script and only a few never miss a hit. And when more than 3 marines complain about and he notice that an admin is specting (or anyone making a demo of it) he start missing hits.

Even if I have adrenaline and move faster I can't escape this attacks. Of course is not just the script, those players use "something" else. The players that don't use that "something" are really good but miss at least 30% to 40% of the hits.

Once those "something" players stop using that something their kill ratio drops a lot.

And to finish (I'm tired of this thread), I am being sarcastic. If you like to play with scripts it is just fine and is part of the game, if you don't like it (like myself) it is perfect. And if you use any kind of cheat, please go and buy a life somewhere, you need it.

Many years ago I tested some cheats (a combination of wallhack and aimbot bind to +attack) to see how they work and to confirm my doubts about it, because many people told me that I can't say someone is using such idiotic cheats if I don't know how they work. Guess what, I was always right.
    Anyway, using cheats is for idiots, people with no life at all and they need this to say that they are something, when everybody knows they are not.

I don't care, I'm good enough to play without any script or macro, and if you are not that good you need some extra help, and is ok.

For fade I use second button for blink and first button to attack, I only bind keys, no script at all.

Cheaters will be banned on every single server no matter if the game have an anti-cheat or not. If you see me saying that someone is cheating, be sure he cheats. Unless, of course, I'm just trolling that guy.

I still remember when I started playing NS (when it was released, I did not joined this forum for many years) complaining about the magic corner bullets until one of my friends explained to me that is how HL engine works and the prediction and bla bla bla.
  • LucidLucid Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10534Members, Constellation
    You fade in and out of sarcasm so much that it's impossible to tell what your actual stance is on the matter. It's like being the guy from Memento watching Inception.