Guest Passes.

DY357LXDY357LX Playing since day 1. Still can't Comm.England Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1651Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Let A Friend Play For Free For 7 Hours.</div>Starcraft 2 came bundled with "Guest Passes" that could you could give to friends.
These friends would get 7 hours (or 7 days, whichever came first) on the full product for free.

I gave out my 2 passes to friends and both of them purchased the game to continue playing after their trial had expired.
Those 2 friends also gave out their passes and have in-turn secured more sales. (And more multi-player fun!)

Seeing as Steam already has the system in-place for sending gifts etc to friends, surely a 7 hour trial wouldn't be too hard to implement?
(Doesn't have to be 7 hours obviously, it could be 4 or whatever.)

So to sum-up, people who own the full game can send a pass to friend via Steam, this helps boost sales, gives us a healthy server population and spreads the word about a great game.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    Agreed. Being able to show and play games with friends is the most common way independent games catch on. Guest passes fit that bill quite well. Hopefully, anyone who pre-purchased NS2 will be given a handful of guest passes when the game comes out.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree, everyone that buys the game should get a guest pass. It helps stop people from pirating under the 'try before buy' flag. And if the game is great it could help increase sales.
  • DY357LXDY357LX Playing since day 1. Still can&#39;t Comm. England Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1651Members, Constellation
    I was tempted to suggest something along the lines of 1 guest pass for standard NS2 purchase, 2 guest passes for those who committed to the Collectors Edition/Black Armour Edition/whatever we're calling it. But I figured I'd wait and see the reaction to the pass idea first.
  • BRICEBRICE Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72453Members
    Thinks that free passes are a good thing.
    I know just by talking about NS2 in my workplace / online i got 5 more people then me to buy SE.
  • BCSephBCSeph Join Date: 2005-02-24 Member: 42384Members, Constellation
    I like this idea. Give everyone who pre-orders (including those of us who have already pre-ordered) 1 guest pass for x amount of hours (maybe one day, maybe until a few days after official release). The guest passes would give full access to the game after the official release for a limited amount of time.

I think this is better than a demo, because people who are using guest passes will also have influence from friends (whoever gave them the pass) to buy the game. It will also probably be easier to code/setup versus making a demo version of the game.

Guest passes could only work for a specific time interval (like just the day or so following the release) so people couldn't hold on to them for future use.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Yeah, all the people im trying to lure into buying NS would be able to try the game :)
    As long as you DONT impliment a referal system for people to abuse, everything should work out in UWEs favor :)
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I agree. Post-beta though I assume?
  • teh_fattsteh_fatts Join Date: 2004-06-21 Member: 29442Members
    Heartily Agreed.

Also I'd very much like to see something put in place to aid LANs. All my favorite NS1 memories are from LAN party games, none of which would likely ever have happened had NS1 been a tightly purchase-controlled product, simply because it's difficult (and possibly rude!) to convince a whole room of people to all buy and install something they've never tried rather than playing what everyone already has.

This has been a problem with all non-free, no-free-trial, no-multiple-installs games for some time now. I'd like to see it alleviated by allowing "spawn" or "buddy" installs that allow a someone to play for free but with a mixture of potential restrictions:

1. Could be tied to specific retail account and numerically limited, eg each retail copy comes with 1-3 buddy keys

2. Could be limited to LAN play only

3. Could be limited to games which contain the originating retail player only

4. Could have a weekly or permanent time limit

...some mixture of which should strike an ideal middle ground between gaining sales from increased exposure and loss from giving too much away.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    This is a very good idea!

I'd go with more than 2 passes. Since NS2 is indie, fans will know a lot of potential buyers who have no idea NS2 exists. It's the opposite situation from WoW or Call of Duty type games. 5 or even 10 passes would be great.

The amount of exposure would mitigate the number of moochers (who wouldn't have bought the game anyway) I think. 40$ is competitive compared to 60$ games. A firsthand look telling potential buyers NS2 is just as good as the 60$ games would pull them over quickly.

After Beta is released of course (Or similar amount of polish is given to NS2). A lag swamp playtest doesn't sell well :P
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793932:date=Aug 13 2010, 01:06 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 13 2010, 01:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793932"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree. Post-beta though I assume?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From what i've seen, ya really far down the road. :P
  • TheLordTheLord Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16258Members
    Great idea, I'll vote for 5 guest passes and 8-10 hours of unlimited gameplay - because ns2 will need some time to get into.

They should be available right at the 1.0 release.
    <!--quoteo(post=1794655:date=Aug 17 2010, 12:15 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Aug 17 2010, 12:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From what i've seen, ya really far down the road. :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I give it a year and a half at least. Fall 2011?
  • BRICEBRICE Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72453Members
    "Great idea, I'll vote for 5 guest passes and 8-10 hours of unlimited gameplay - because ns2 will need some time to get into."

haha - 8-10 hours of unlimited gameplay.
    :) sorry i thought it was funny.

1-3 passes should be good promo & pr later on if it will be so.
  • TurtleTurtle Join Date: 2002-10-18 Member: 1540Members
    I'd actually recommend 3 days of free gameplay, not hours, and you can't save those hours.

It basically allows you to play with a friend for over a weekend for free.

Remember that NS, when it comes to the final versions, will be a complex game that a new player will definitely need time to adjust to. A few hours just won't cut it to introduce a player, and even 3 days worth of play won't give them all they need to know. However, 3 days will be enough when playing with friends over a weekend to get them hooked on the game enough to buy it.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1794956:date=Aug 18 2010, 11:56 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Aug 18 2010, 11:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1794956"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I give it a year and a half at least. Fall 2011?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That soon? :P
    What can I say, I'm optimistic.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited August 2010
    I definitely agree with the idea of guest passes. Make it so you can play the game for 5-7 days without hour limitations. NS has a high learning curve, it shouldn't cut to few hours as you won't pick up the game that fast.

NS was never such game you play few hours and quit, it was a game which had inifinite gameplay. But the recognition was an issue and guest passes are a great way to address that problem. Those who bothered to play it more than more hours would probably play it a lot more.

I mean guest passes are an awesome idea, if 15 000 players preordered and by the next year there would be atleast like 20 000 players, and everyone had like 3 guest passes, it could easily mean many more thousands of players. Even if one third of guest passes would be used, altho I think number would be higher as many of us who preordered the game really love it and like to endorse it to our friends, it would mean about 6000 players trying out the game and some part of that buying and staying in the game.

Altho I think you shouldn't do it until the game is done because broken alpha is not really good publicity.
  • ZehtukaZehtuka Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72853Members
    This is something they should really look into when the game is "ready".

24 hours ingame time for a guest pass should be fine and it allows people to try the game.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    As long as looking at the editor doesn't count as "in-game time". I once left open Spark over a weekend and it subsequently said I had 50 hours of game time.