NS2 Progress

Comments

• RedeemerRedeemer Join Date: 2004-01-20 Member: 25521Members, Constellation
    I have aquestion regarding pivotal tracker...

I am a developer myself, working in a team in university and I'm thinking on using pivotal.
    Does it help you getting things donne? Or is it just another pain in the a.. for the PM and the team?
    Maybe you can say a bit about how you are working with this tool in your daily development live at UWE?

thx
  • ZupE891ZupE891 Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67623Members
    edited August 2010
    Can we have a tracker that lays out the key points that need to be done in order for the beta (standard edition) will be released?

that would give us non alpha players something to look forward to and get us excited when another thing gets checked off the list.

that would be dope, good job with the ns2 progress tracker so far tho, good idea.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    +progress button

or i have to bookmark the page and new users will not find it :(
  • BloodhouseBloodhouse Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72369Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793151:date=Aug 9 2010, 05:07 PM:name=derWalter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (derWalter @ Aug 9 2010, 05:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793151"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+progress button

or i have to bookmark the page and new users will not find it :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed. Maybe the fifth tab, after "help"?
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1793169:date=Aug 9 2010, 12:12 PM:name=Bloodhouse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bloodhouse @ Aug 9 2010, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793169"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Agreed. Maybe the fifth tab, after "help"?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's a link on the main page under the "News" tab.
    thank you max <3!

i just recognized it :)
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Just want to say how awesome UWE is. No other game company would even consider being as open as you have been with NS2. Having a public alpha and real-time progress tracking is unheard of. Thanks!
  • devicenulldevicenull Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15967Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1793096:date=Aug 9 2010, 05:57 AM:name=Redeemer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Redeemer @ Aug 9 2010, 05:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793096"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have aquestion regarding pivotal tracker...

I am a developer myself, working in a team in university and I'm thinking on using pivotal.
    Does it help you getting things donne? Or is it just another pain in the a.. for the PM and the team?
    Maybe you can say a bit about how you are working with this tool in your daily development live at UWE?

thx<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A bug tracker shouldn't prevent you from getting things done, nor should it make your life harder. Even if you just type a very brief description of what you are doing, it's going to be a lot more useful to you then trying to keep track of lists of bugs, and emailed bugs, and PMed bugs...

Just start using one, you will be happy :)

Back on topic: Awesome, definitely going to add this to the list of stuff I check each morning.
  • BloodhouseBloodhouse Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72369Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793170:date=Aug 9 2010, 06:13 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Aug 9 2010, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793170"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's a link on the main page under the "News" tab.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Great stuff.
    Turrets for 151 woo hoo!
  • rsdrsd Join Date: 2003-02-11 Member: 13405Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1793238:date=Aug 10 2010, 03:44 AM:name=devicenull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (devicenull @ Aug 10 2010, 03:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A bug tracker shouldn't prevent you from getting things done, nor should it make your life harder. Even if you just type a very brief description of what you are doing, it's going to be a lot more useful to you then trying to keep track of lists of bugs, and emailed bugs, and PMed bugs...

Just start using one, you will be happy :)

Back on topic: Awesome, definitely going to add this to the list of stuff I check each morning.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Myself and many of the developers I know are disorganised people, so a bug tracker is absolutely vital to getting a project done. I find it much easier to work from a list of tasks (even if I maintain that list myself) than just hacking away. It's also great having a repository of all decisions made so when you encounter something later on you can look back at the history of a task/bug and see what you commented about it.

The overhead is minimal if you keep descriptions and comments concise. I think bug trackers should be used for all projects, not just IT projects. It makes the whole process a lot more measurable as well - far better than a notepad with a list of things to do.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1793084:date=Aug 9 2010, 04:39 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Aug 9 2010, 04:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793084"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, I recommend you check out forums regarding issue its been voiced at least in 3 different threads

But basicly modding will reduce competitive player base, meaning it can never be large.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I (appear to) have been here longer than you - I've heard the arguments before, maybe hundreds of times. It's not even worth arguing, because it's a moot point. People won't *only* play mods. And if people choose to play mods over vanilla NS, that's up to them. Who are you to restrict them from that choice? If mods become the standard (esp. for a new player), then you've got an issue, but with the Vanilla/Modified server filter, the issue is all but taken care of - just make Vanilla-only the default server filter.

Edit: So I thought I was at the bottom of the last page, but I was at the bottom of the 3rd..
  • pHkpHk Join Date: 2003-05-24 Member: 16664Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793291:date=Aug 10 2010, 04:38 AM:name=rsd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rsd @ Aug 10 2010, 04:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793291"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Myself and many of the developers I know are disorganised people, so a bug tracker is absolutely vital to getting a project done. I find it much easier to work from a list of tasks (even if I maintain that list myself) than just hacking away. It's also great having a repository of all decisions made so when you encounter something later on you can look back at the history of a task/bug and see what you commented about it.

The overhead is minimal if you keep descriptions and comments concise. I think bug trackers should be used for all projects, not just IT projects. It makes the whole process a lot more measurable as well - far better than a notepad with a list of things to do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What he said ^

At my workplace we use JIRA to track progress, not just bugs (this includes tasks, improvements or anything else custom). You can track anything in it. Distribute tasks, follow up on deadlines and progress. Once you're comfortable working with issue trackers (as a team) you'll never want to go back. Like rsd said, the whole process becomes measurable, and not to forget it stops people from forgetting things, and project work becomes a lot easier to transfer to other people as you can reassign issues at any time.

The only immediate downside I see is that it does require a bit more effort from everyone, just to create and follow-up on issues and tasks. This is trivial compared to the transparency these tools deliver to your project lifecycle though.
    edited August 2010
    New commander tooltips

i want to turn em off, i want to turn em all off!!! :P

e1: cl_help 0
  • Mkk_BitestuffMkk_Bitestuff Join Date: 2003-01-17 Member: 12407Members
    Has anyone heard if they have been working on the hitreg issue? Dont see it listed on the progress page
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793367:date=Aug 10 2010, 08:55 PM:name=Mkk_Bitestuff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mkk_Bitestuff @ Aug 10 2010, 08:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793367"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has anyone heard if they have been working on the hitreg issue? Dont see it listed on the progress page<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Probably refered to as this on the progress page: "Fix discrepancies in timing during client side prediction (lag issue)"
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    So, I think I mostly understand what this means. It's a timeline going down, so once all the issues from the top get "Accepted" up to the "Build 151" bar, 151 will be ready. But what's the deal with the tan highlighting? What does the highlighting of certain tasks represent?
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1793370:date=Aug 10 2010, 12:11 PM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ Aug 10 2010, 12:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793370"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But what's the deal with the tan highlighting? What does the highlighting of certain tasks represent?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Read the first page of this thread. Answers everything.
  • EyelessEyeless Join Date: 2010-02-01 Member: 70391Members
    stop being so open and just finish the update. I dont want to now what your working on i want to know whats done and when it will come out thats it. all this other stuff distracts the simple minds but its just bs to anyone who really wants to test this ######kin game.
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793406:date=Aug 10 2010, 05:40 PM:name=Eyeless)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eyeless @ Aug 10 2010, 05:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793406"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->stop being so open and just finish the update. I dont want to now what your working on i want to know whats done and when it will come out thats it. all this other stuff distracts the simple minds but its just bs to anyone who really wants to test this ######kin game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

false dichotomy
    <!--quoteo(post=1793406:date=Aug 10 2010, 03:40 PM:name=Eyeless)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Eyeless @ Aug 10 2010, 03:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793406"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->stop being so open and just finish the update. I dont want to now what your working on i want to know whats done and when it will come out thats it. all this other stuff distracts the simple minds but its just bs to anyone who really wants to test this ######kin game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So don't look. Never log into these forums again. They will send you an email when it's done. There, fixed your problem.
  • LorenzoLorenzo Join Date: 2004-01-23 Member: 25624Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793413:date=Aug 10 2010, 06:11 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Aug 10 2010, 06:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793413"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So don't look. Never log into these forums again. They will send you an email when it's done. There, fixed your problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    this.

oh and please, don't come back. :)
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I love trolls. They always eat everything up and they're never happy. I say NS2 should have bridges, we'd find trolls under them constantly....for shooting practise. :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1793421:date=Aug 11 2010, 12:00 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Aug 11 2010, 12:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793421"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I love trolls. They always eat everything up and they're never happy. I say NS2 should have bridges, we'd find trolls under them constantly....for shooting practise. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

made my day - thx!

+bridges
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Noticed a grammatical error on that page for a while:

"Below is a our current of tasks we are working on in our current "sprint" (typically a one week period)."

should be either "our current list of" or "our current tasks" gotta pick one :p
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    Fix discrepancies in timing during client side prediction (lag issue) -> Delivered

This is good news. :)
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    Charlie is slackin, Max has all his 151 goals delivered.

j/k ;)

Nice work fellas, pretty amped to see this update.
  • JappifyJappify Join Date: 2010-01-25 Member: 70312Members
  • quatermassquatermass Join Date: 2008-05-06 Member: 64220Members
    How about quitting updating the game for a day and fix the bugs that are stopping some of us (who've paid you) from actually running the damn game! :(

I submit bug reports and yet, I get nothing back to report that the bugs have been fixed. All I read about is added features!
  • carlgmcarlgm Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30907Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1793489:date=Aug 11 2010, 05:55 AM:name=quatermass)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (quatermass @ Aug 11 2010, 05:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793489"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about quitting updating the game for a day and fix the bugs that are stopping some of us (who've paid you) from actually running the damn game! :(

I submit bug reports and yet, I get nothing back to report that the bugs have been fixed. All I read about is added features!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seriously? Seriously?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    the people that develop the features(lua) and those that fix the bugs(engine) are not the same. new features does not mean less time for bugfixing.