Podcast 17 Interview

McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
For those of you that missed it, the Podcast 17 interview with Flayra is up!

Go to: <a href="http://www.podcast17.com/episodes/94/" target="_blank">http://www.podcast17.com/episodes/94/</a>
Check it out! If you don't want to listen to the entire show you can download just the UWE portion of the show in the Download Links section. There is some really interesting stuff covered. It will also give a little bit of history of UWE and NS for those of you that don't know it already.

Comments

• WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    Awesome. Thanks for the link!
  • MonsieurEvilMonsieurEvil Join Date: 2002-01-22 Member: 4Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Hi,

Is it just me, or does the audio die out after the intro? I tried WMP and WA and both had the issue... :|

Would love to hear this.
  • scott.exescott.exe Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72394Members
    thanks for posting this, I listened to the wrong episode.
  • JazzXJazzX cl_labelmaps ∞ Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9285Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1790476:date=Aug 1 2010, 07:02 PM:name=MonsieurEvil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MonsieurEvil @ Aug 1 2010, 07:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790476"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi,

Is it just me, or does the audio die out after the intro? I tried WMP and WA and both had the issue... :|

Would love to hear this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In all three formats: their flash player, the full mp3, and the abridged "interview only" version I don't seem to be experiencing this issue. I'm hearing Flayra as well as the hosts.
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2010
    Listening right now, the british? interviewer talks too fast and bad O_o
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    This was probably the best NS2 interview so far. Really good questions were asked.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    And podcast17 is pretty popular so it will be a great bit of advertising.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    no power grid for 1.0? surprising
  • DY357LXDY357LX Playing since day 1. Still can&#39;t Comm. England Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1651Members, Constellation
    edited August 2010
    Attempted to upload the Steam chat log from the channel but am getting a:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Error Upload failed. The file was larger than the available space"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So here it is on Rapidshare (until someone else mirrors it in a better location.)

<a href="http://rapidshare.com/files/410468456/ns2-chat.txt" target="_blank">http://rapidshare.com/files/410468456/ns2-chat.txt</a>
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2010
  • DY357LXDY357LX Playing since day 1. Still can&#39;t Comm. England Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1651Members, Constellation
    Weird, works for me. Any alternatives for a mirror location?
  • ShadowXORShadowXOR Join Date: 2002-11-27 Member: 10106Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1790509:date=Aug 1 2010, 06:58 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 1 2010, 06:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790509"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no power grid for 1.0? surprising<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Upsetting is the word I was thinking of.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1790509:date=Aug 1 2010, 08:58 PM:name=Wheeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wheeee @ Aug 1 2010, 08:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790509"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->no power grid for 1.0? surprising<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    :(
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    edited August 2010
    Excellent interview, really covered a lot. A few thoughts:

-Multiple alien commanders sounds great now that we know you can do all sorts of micro/di control.

-Power grid being absent for 1.0 isn't entirely unexpected, though it is unfortunate that it won't make release. I can understand how you might be concerned that it would annoy new players and be confusing, but perhaps if you provide a simple overlay on their minimap with green/red cut off points showing exactly how and where the lines are cut, it would be really really intuitive and much like in COH it wouldn't be a deal breaker. I think the concept is well established in gaming, again like coh, so it certainly wouldn't be a shot in the dark.

-You really really should have an ns birthday hat for the gorges to wear in-game during the week of the anniversary. I don't get the hat thing either but that would be a seriously hilarious gimmick for a birthday celebration sale on the steam front page *wink* *wink*.

-Direction for mod support and custom creation is really sound. Taking the high road with the community is such a novel concept these days, it bodes well for keeping and expanding the community so cheers there.

-Lerk flight going to the ns model would surely be nice, however which model? I recall the original flight model (that let you sort of air strafe) to be EXTREMELY fun and now that the lerk is back to shooting spikes perhaps the concept (turning head to aim while flying) can be resuscitated.

-Which sorts of particle effects would you be thrilled to have the community attempt right now?

-Glad to hear you guys are going to be avoiding the extra overhead and stress of putting out multiple releases per week as you guys did during the alpha release week. It is greatly appreciated, but we understand the process is taxing. A solid week of newly implemented content in a new update at the end of the week seems to make a lot more sense than these little (while impressively extensive) hotfix/patches.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2010
    If reference to the Power Grid comments... He didn't really say that it will explicitly not be in v1.0. If you'll recall he said "I really really want to add". So, if "Mr. NS" wants it's in the game, it's going to be in the game. ;)

I'm pretty excited about playing the Alien commander after hearing this interview. It sounds like a good addition to the Aliens, in my mind anyways.
  • KwilKwil Join Date: 2003-07-06 Member: 17963Members
    edited August 2010
    What struck me was how many of the answers were "We don't really know exactly what we're going to be doing with that yet.." I mean, I realize LUA gives you guys some amazing flexibility when it comes to adding new things and behavior but.. not to even have the effects of DI nailed down yet?

So. Here's some thoughts.

Leave maps difficult to navigate for skulks (no invisible ceiling brushes to smooth it out) but let DI fill in holes and create smooth slopes for skulks.

Lerks can roost in DI.. but not on the marine surfaces.

Hivesight on any marines walking in DI. Distance of hivesight depends on how much DI they're in.

Ranges of all alien abilities (that have a range) is increased while in DI.

Destruction of DI is visible to alien commanders.

Drifters in DI will burrow in (movement stops, drifter vanishes and becomes invulnerable for a time) if under fire.

While in DI, skulks can "recall" themselves back to the nearest hive instantaneously. (Suggest cool animation of skulk melting into DI, and then bursting out of it at the Hive)

Alien footstep sounds much softened in DI.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    If we get the original lerk flight model, we need a way to dive and it'll be perfect.

Also HATS for everyone... okay, seriously for a moment, I'm completely against any kind of grind a meaningless cosmetic reward. However anyone that remembers HL:DM (I think! it was something that came with HL anyway) you could choose a few different helmets, an armour colour, I think there was an option to be Gina instead of Gordon etc, at the same place you choose your nick.

Having some character customisation along these lines, have armour with kill count decal on the chest, a guy wearing a bandanna, armour covered in scratches - insert aliens inspired small detail here - etc, various small things to choose and change would both be fun, and also break up the marine side a bit so they don't look like an army of clones. However - should be a secondary post v1 concern.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1790585:date=Aug 2 2010, 07:15 AM:name=Kwil)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kwil @ Aug 2 2010, 07:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Leave maps difficult to navigate for skulks (no invisible ceiling brushes to smooth it out) but let DI fill in holes and create smooth slopes for skulks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm a skirmisher and chaosmaker by nature, so I'm always quite scared of this stuff. I'm fine with having a long term disadvantage outside the home terrain, but I'd still like to perform at nearly full capacity momentarily even outside the DI. Having low adren regen and no innate regen sounds alright, but limiting the key abilities of lifeforms sounds a bit overly territorial and passivating.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2010
    I think they already have enough trouble adding DI without making it collide with players, etc.

DI-Tunnels and maybe some special DI spot created by gorge/commander to block something should be the only thing interacting with players (aside from positively affecting aliens attributes, etc.)
  • shad3rshad3r Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73273Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1790614:date=Aug 2 2010, 08:44 PM:name=Delphic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Delphic @ Aug 2 2010, 08:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790614"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If we get the original lerk flight model, we need a way to dive and it'll be perfect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Check the modding forum, I wrote some lerk movement code that reduces the lift from flapping the more you look down. If you're looking straight down, the flap pushes you in the direction you're looking only.

It works like I remember NS1 lerk, but I haven't played NS1 for a long time, and I sucked as a lerk.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Great interview! Very long (much to my enjoyment as I listened to it while I was at work) and informative, and those guys at Podcast 17... nice job ^^ Might have to subscribe and listen on more episodes.

Also - modified avatar!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2010
    "It's been super fun."

- Charlie's super fun time :D
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Listening now, thanks for the links.
  • AtoneAtone Join Date: 2009-09-21 Member: 68839Members
    edited August 2010
    - The fade sounds awesome.
    - Eww flashbangs
    - Powergrid is not something to wait until after 1.0 for. That's the kind of thing that will heavily impact gameplay. Which is not something you want to do post-release.
    - I hope you don't really believe the community only says they want gorge plushies. I'd buy one. Or five.
    - Gorge hats are absolutely essential. As a counterpart to black armor, let's give special edition gorges a fez.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    +1 Gorge Fez.

+1 pre v1.0 power-grid testing (it can be removed if it's not worth it / not intuitive).
  • QuadLMGkillQuadLMGkill Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72576Members
    You can understand how the powergrid may be confusing to new players? ...wow really?
  • Mr_CharismaMr_Charisma Join Date: 2003-01-26 Member: 12748Members, NS1 Playtester
    If the power-grid had a sort of visual map indicator much like the Unreal Tournament has for onslaught/warfare mode, I think players will be able to quickly identify where and how something is disconnected.
  • BoutrosBoutrosGhaliBoutrosBoutrosGhali Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33193Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1790996:date=Aug 3 2010, 02:15 PM:name=Mr_Charisma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr_Charisma @ Aug 3 2010, 02:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790996"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the power-grid had a sort of visual map indicator much like the Unreal Tournament has for onslaught/warfare mode, I think players will be able to quickly identify where and how something is disconnected.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Excellent Idea. I reckon this could be easily implemented. Maybe a highlighted path overlay on the map showing the lifeline to the final tech point on the path or something?

I think someone really needs to get working on a tutorial vid or something
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1791002:date=Aug 3 2010, 08:46 AM:name=BoutrosBoutrosGhali)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BoutrosBoutrosGhali @ Aug 3 2010, 08:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791002"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Excellent Idea. I reckon this could be easily implemented. Maybe a highlighted path overlay on the map showing the lifeline to the final tech point on the path or something?

I think someone really needs to get working on a tutorial vid or something<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah you could even have running lights along the floors between connected rooms or something. I don't think this is a "confusion" issue as much as it is a development time and testing issue. I agree 100% though that if this is going to be included in the game then it should go in prior to v1. You even mentioned in the podcast that people were upset in ns1 when a major gameplay revision happened after v1.
  • mattiemattie belgium Join Date: 2010-08-03 Member: 73439Members
    thanks for the interview, very interesting!