How to create a NS2 Dedicated Server

Comments

• SquirreliSquirreli Join Date: 2010-05-15 Member: 71771Members
    edited July 2010
    "How to create a NS2 dedicated server" sounds very much like something that should be put up on the wiki?

A Wiki page could serve as a community- and/or devteam-updated manual on putting up the server and on resolving issues with it. Im not saying this thread isn't informative, just that a Wiki page might make this stuff much easier for everyone involved?
  • WeidahWeidah Join Date: 2008-09-02 Member: 64955Members
    Only now after the update did it post errors that it can't run on a non 32bit system. Would be nice to mention somewhere that you can not run it on windows 64bit.

Anyways, when can we expect 64bit support for dedicated servers? Its a bit odd though, it seems it just couldn't register to the main steam server and therefor was not listed on the server list in-game. Other than that the server ran fine if you connected manually (connect "IP") in console, at least until the latest patch. Now the server just freezes right after it loads.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1788426:date=Jul 29 2010, 03:06 AM:name=Squirreli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squirreli @ Jul 29 2010, 03:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788426"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"How to create a NS2 dedicated server" sounds very much like something that should be put up on the wiki?

A Wiki page could serve as a community- and/or devteam-updated manual on putting up the server and on resolving issues with it. Im not saying this thread isn't informative, just that a Wiki page might make this stuff much easier for everyone involved?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Get to work! It's a wiki, so you can help out too!

Trying on WindowsXP 32-bit failed to initialize Steam services. However, might be due to the router not being setup properly.

Anyone got Build 150 servers working?
  • RothgarRothgar Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69372Members
    Guys there looks to be a binding issue when using the "-ip" flag at least for me anyway.

I had to delete my server.xml and not use the "-ip" in order for it to not throw a binding error.

I posted a getsatisfaction in case other people have the same issues:

<a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/error_with_ip_binding_with_new_update_on_server_exe" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t...e_on_server_exe</a>
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    I confirm that the IP setting causes a BIND error, steam service wont run. Removed the <address>IPHERE</address> from config and server started up fine
  • MartinMartin Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73229Members
    edited July 2010
    Here is the complete fix

Removing the <b>address</b> element from server.xml fix this issue. Also remember to remove the <b>-ip</b> flag from the arguments to Server.exe.

server.xml is located at <b>%appdata%/Natural Selection 2/server.xml</b>

Basically all IP bindings must be removed
  • wdfstryfewdfstryfe Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67532Members
    I also confirm removing IP and port from xml file will make a working server... getting a lot of
    Client command is outside the available window for lag compensation
    <!--quoteo(post=1789099:date=Jul 30 2010, 03:25 AM:name=wdfstryfe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wdfstryfe @ Jul 30 2010, 03:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789099"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->getting a lot of Client command is outside the available window for lag compensation<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same here. Getting a lot of that. Also console will occasionally freeze. Max, would it be possible to have a output to a file instead of console, some sort of switch?
    Regardless if it output to a file or the console the lag would be the same.. Or just disable logging all together except for the essential stuff.
    wdfstryfe you're right it would lag. Though the idea of disable logging except for essential stuff is a good idea.
  • WeidahWeidah Join Date: 2008-09-02 Member: 64955Members
    Hm is it just me or does anyone else have problems bringing a dedicated server up behind a smoothwall?

Smoothwall works like this, you open a port on the system but it WONT completely open(will "stealth") until you actually run a program or in this case a dedicated server that uses that port. Well it seems that this dedicated server doesn't let out any "heartbeat" of any kind letting smoothwall know it should open the port. Or there might also be the case of my dedicated server just NOT wanting to run on online mode (-lan 0). I've suspected that might be the problem, but not completely sure. I've read somewhere there's no 64bit support. Is this the case?
  • BryBry Join Date: 2003-01-23 Member: 12609Members
    I have created a new thread for issues and performance related queries for the build 150 server here:
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=110687" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=110687</a>

I have pre filled it with common problems/questions regarding this build
  • oXYnaryoXYnary Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73138Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1788236:date=Jul 29 2010, 03:23 AM:name=zimzum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zimzum @ Jul 29 2010, 03:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788236"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I didn't notice anything about linux dedicated server already posted, so..
    on opensuse v11.3 with the latest build of wine v1.2 I'm able to run a dedicated server and connect to it (make sure you open your pcs firewall for the traffic as well).

don't forget to have steam running.
    wine Server.exe -ip <whatever> -name <whatever> -map ns2_tram -limit 8 -lan <whatever>

<a href="http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/368/screenshotpls.png" target="_blank">http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/368/screenshotpls.png</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well hopefully when beta is released we will get a server if not a client (at least at one point I read the engine was being created for all three (Mac/PC/Lin)).

Can you give performance? Like what type of overhead is wine doing? Whats your CPU average for the server? I know from my wine installs of window servers there is a CPU hit as well as having to have a desktop going versus straight command line. I cant get steam to work in my desktop anymore. They changed something with 1.2 wine that isn't playing nice with my servers Matrox card and XFCE4.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Thread maintained by wiki, thanks
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Dedicated_Server" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/inde...edicated_Server</a>
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Now if only we did not need steam and could run it just like srcds then I can get some nice tire 1 servers running...
  • oldfartoldfart Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71509Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1791433:date=Aug 4 2010, 01:02 PM:name=ZEROibis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZEROibis @ Aug 4 2010, 01:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1791433"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now if only we did not need steam and could run it just like srcds then I can get some nice tire 1 servers running...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This link mentions these 3 x points ...

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->o Fixed bug where the dedicated server could not be run without Steam running
    o Fixed bug where binding a game server to an IP would cause it to not be displayed in the server browser
    o Added dedicated server files to the Steam release<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you can find more info regarding this - I'd like to hear about it!

cheers
    <u>OldFart</u>
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Interesting, I wonder if the next release will include an update tool so it will be totally independent of steam. Well I guess I will try to copy the dedicated server files locally and see if I can get it to work on lan before uploading them all to my dedicated box to hopefully get some close to lag free gameplay.
    Zero,

In the interview on Saturday Charlie mentioned something about having the dedicated server act like the HLDS tools. So I believe your presumptions are correct :)
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    edited August 2010
    If you want to contribute on the wiki, before you made any change on any page, like on <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Dedicated_Server" target="_blank">Dedicated Server</a>, first use the <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Talk%3a%44edicated_Server" target="_blank">discussion</a> tab to propose such changes.
    This way we avoid any confusion and errors like is now, you don't use your NS2 login info to login on Steam, you use your Steam login info to login in Steam. And yes, I did not edited it so everyone can see it.

Also, as UWE will add the server like the HLDS you'll not need any more Steam for it.

Of course, if you see an small error you can correct it, just remember to add in the Summary field what you did in the change and mark the "This is a minor edit" box.
    This is a minor edit could mean: grammar, design (do not change images, that will be a mayor change), or correct incorrect information added by someone.

Thanks
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Thanks for the huge-edit notifaction PaiSand, I have updated the directions to be correct/reflect the current changes.
    Added a section to the wiki about web administration
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Having issues with this build server, did something change?

i ran my first server with this command line: .\\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\Server.exe" -name SuperNova(dedi) -map ns2_tram -limit 6 -lan false -port 27015

It seems that it will only start local or at least the console reads it as starting local and it doesn't show in listing using port 27015

it also gives me error steam service is not running so i have to have steam running on my windows box.

wiki says: (*Steam is not required for the server, only for updates.) but the error says otherwise.

DMZ is set to my Dedi box and all my other game/voice servers are running fine.

any ideas how to get it to go internet and not lan and run without steam running?
    Wolf I ran your command line arguments on my test box and it started up fine no issues. It was able to run with lan set to false and everything. The console reading "Local server started" or something of that is correct. And ignore the steam error, it technically isn't needed to run the server, even though there is an error that shows up. So seems like everything is working fine for you.
    edited October 2010
    Thanks martin, I'll look at my all my servers and make sure that port didn't get used on something else but i'm pretty sure it available or i would have gotten a port error.

I'll double check my router and reboot my dedi box after work and see if we can get it goin.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    There is a bug, the server list is not displaying all the servers it finds
    Just displaying or not connecting at all?

if so then can we connect manually via console and with "connect ip.ip.ip.ip 27015" ?
    edited October 2010
    yeh manual connect should work

connect <ip:port> <password>
    Seems that most of my server hangs result from loss of contact from steam servers when idle for long periods of time. I use an auto restart program for my servers but it is not effective if there is no crash. has anyone made a fix to shut down server if it losses contact with steam servers? a time-out string or something in that area.