Minimum Requirements of Alpha version?

hit321hit321 Join Date: 2007-11-17 Member: 62942Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
edited July 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Will be the official minimum requirements of NS2 in Alpha version ?</div>The Topic Description says all.
In the site says:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, a DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows Vista/2000/XP, Steam, mouse, keyboard and an internet connection.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS are valid for the version Alpha ?

Comments

• w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • QuadLMGkillQuadLMGkill Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72576Members
    Imagine a full packed game with fire and all aliens abilities going off... not even close. I have a quadcore 4gb ram and 260gtx, the engine was laggy in some areas so yeah, those requirements may help you load the main menu screen.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    My guess is that the "optimized" version (read: after beta) will run smoothly with dual-core + decent graphics card.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    There are no minimum system requires for the alpha since it's an unfinished product. The minimum requirements only apply for the finished game.
  • WellWell Join Date: 2006-10-04 Member: 58054Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Max, what is your (developers) requirements for alfa test?
    Now i have Core i7 920, HD4870 - it's not enough, 10-20 fps, medium settings on 1024x768.
  • RabhimselfRabhimself Join Date: 2010-06-29 Member: 72198Members
    As alluded to by Squeal in another thread, the engine isn't optimised so I'm not sure there would even be such a thing as min. requirements for the alpha.

Some people are getting high fps with relatively low system specs.

I'm getting a little better fps than the above poster and I'm using a AMD X2 64 3000+ and an NVidia 9600GT. (6gb RAM)
  • carlgmcarlgm Join Date: 2004-08-26 Member: 30907Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1788529:date=Jul 29 2010, 10:10 AM:name=Well)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Well @ Jul 29 2010, 10:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788529"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Max, what is your (developers) requirements for alfa test?
    Now i have Core i7 920, HD4870 - it's not enough, 10-20 fps, medium settings on 1024x768.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There aren't any for performance, as that it what they will work on right up to release.
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1788529:date=Jul 29 2010, 07:10 AM:name=Well)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Well @ Jul 29 2010, 07:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788529"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Max, what is your (developers) requirements for alfa test?
    Now i have Core i7 920, HD4870 - it's not enough, 10-20 fps, medium settings on 1024x768.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There may be something wrong with your setup/configuration. I get about 40-60fps on an i5 750 hd4770 in 1920x1080 on high.
    You also need to re-read his post, there's no point in targeting a spec for an alpha. When everything's closer to release, they'll have an actual idea of what's sufficient.
  • welphwelph Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73362Members
    I have a about 5 year old computer intel pentium 4, 3.2ghz, with and old ati 9800pro GFX-card. Only thing I can see when trying to play this game is someone behind 3 black frames(the menu??) walking about with a flashlight. And I can't resize the window, it's really small. Seems my computer needs an overhaul....even a big one! :)
  • BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    just wondering, as the game is completely and utterly unplayable for my computer atm, if the minimum specs aren't achieved, will I get my money back? (easily i mean, law says I will, but internationally that wud suck to back up with law and such)

note, I'm sure there will be tremendous improvements over time, but from utterly unplayable to competition-feasible is a big step. and since my computer is only one and a half year old, I think it should at least play something that was advertised as having system requirements that my 5 year old pc could handle, I mean, there's hardly been any improvement from engine test to alpha... (in performance I mean) (and yes I can play l4d2 without problems)

and before people start about it being something for unknown worlds, I donated for constellation more than ns2 normal edition used to cost the moment I could (around 1.04), and bought the special edition instantly, just don't want to pay for a game I can't play when it was advertised to play on a computer I ditched years ago

just would like an anser to the question, if it doesn't run properly, will I get my money back?
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789796:date=Jul 30 2010, 06:35 PM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ Jul 30 2010, 06:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just would like an anser to the question, if it doesn't run properly, will I get my money back?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i could be wrong, but i don't believe you can refund a game that's registered to steam.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Well first wouldn't you have to prove that it doesn't work? And second, how can the product be 'returned'? Would steam just prevent you from running NS2 through your steam account? Kinda awkward.

In another post a member of the team mentioned that the engine test was simply that - i.e. it is not a version of the game. So it shouldn't be used to guess what your performance might be in later versions.

I think in time they will be able to improve performance for us with less powerful systems. The first alpha update focused on the connection issues just wait and see how well the future updates improve performance I guess,
    <!--quoteo(post=1789801:date=Jul 31 2010, 01:44 AM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Jul 31 2010, 01:44 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i could be wrong, but i don't believe you can refund a game that's registered to steam.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    oh they would have to do some magic with steam, but seeing as they would have based the contract on false pretences, by law it would have to be refundable. And I mean, it's not unreasonable, I can run l4d2, which has minimum requirements waaaaay higher than what was indicated when they got my money.
    <!--quoteo(post=1789804:date=Jul 31 2010, 01:47 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jul 31 2010, 01:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789804"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Well first wouldn't you have to prove that it doesn't work? And second, how can the product be 'returned'? Would steam just prevent you from running NS2 through your steam account? Kinda awkward.

In another post a member of the team mentioned that the engine test was simply that - i.e. it is not a version of the game. So it shouldn't be used to guess what your performance might be in later versions.

I think in time they will be able to improve performance for us with less powerful systems. The first alpha update focused on the connection issues just wait and see how well the future updates improve performance I guess,<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    oh I'm certainly hoping it will improve, just have never seen that big of an improvement in specs, since they have graphics that equal or are better l4d2, but want to run it procedurally instead of having it compiled.

and I'm hoping it will, just wondering if it won't run, what will happen.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789811:date=Jul 31 2010, 12:53 AM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ Jul 31 2010, 12:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789811"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->oh I'm certainly hoping it will improve, just have never seen that big of an improvement in specs, since they have graphics that equal or are better l4d2, but want to run it procedurally instead of having it compiled.

and I'm hoping it will, just wondering if it won't run, what will happen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you're a big NS fan you can keep the game and play it later on another system you get in future :D

(I know computers r so expensive to upgrade but eventually we all have to upgrade them...)

Some people with much better systems than me actually get worse performance on NS2 - it's weird right now.
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789796:date=Jul 30 2010, 06:35 PM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ Jul 30 2010, 06:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just wondering, as the game is completely and utterly unplayable for my computer atm, if the minimum specs aren't achieved, will I get my money back? (easily i mean, law says I will, but internationally that wud suck to back up with law and such)

note, I'm sure there will be tremendous improvements over time, but from utterly unplayable to competition-feasible is a big step. and since my computer is only one and a half year old, I think it should at least play something that was advertised as having system requirements that my 5 year old pc could handle, I mean, there's hardly been any improvement from engine test to alpha... (in performance I mean) (and yes I can play l4d2 without problems)

and before people start about it being something for unknown worlds, I donated for constellation more than ns2 normal edition used to cost the moment I could (around 1.04), and bought the special edition instantly, just don't want to pay for a game I can't play when it was advertised to play on a computer I ditched years ago

just would like an anser to the question, if it doesn't run properly, will I get my money back?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Try re-reading Max's post and you do understand the word MINIMAL right?
    <!--quoteo(post=1789820:date=Jul 31 2010, 02:12 AM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Jul 31 2010, 02:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Try re-reading Max's post and you do understand the word MINIMAL right?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    try reading my post and actually understanding me

all im asking is, if they don't manage to pull off the spec reduction, can I get my money back... I'm not asking for it back right now, I'm asking a question about a hypothetical situation (that means it might or might not happen) when retail goes live... it's not like I'm asking something unreasonable...

so to repeat for people that have trouble reading:

- I think it will be okay with the specs
    - if not, will there be reimbursement?
    <!--quoteo(post=1789812:date=Jul 31 2010, 01:59 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jul 31 2010, 01:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789812"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you're a big NS fan you can keep the game and play it later on another system you get in future :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I take it it was a joke, if not: I spend 20 dollar on constellation to support charlie back in ns1.04, I bought the special edition instantly, it's not that I'm not an ns fan... it's a question about a hypothetical situation that I'd like them to think about... If I wanted a refund I would not post it on these forums... I would mail them for my refund...
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    Official requirements will fall somewhere somewhere between an ENIAC and a Cray XT5.
  • BisclavretBisclavret Join Date: 2010-07-29 Member: 73344Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789801:date=Jul 30 2010, 07:44 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Jul 30 2010, 07:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789801"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i could be wrong, but i don't believe you can refund a game that's registered to steam.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You can, as I know several people who got thier MOH preorder refunded even after playing the beta for a while, because they didn't want to shell out for "some COD console knockoff". You just have to send a steam support ticket/contact support before the game is released and you can usually get your preorder refunded.
  • PseudoKnightPseudoKnight Join Date: 2002-06-18 Member: 791Members
    edited July 2010
    The minimum specs for the final game really need to be updated -- they're quite out-dated. No one is going to be playing on 256MB of RAM. Even increasing it to just 512MB would keep their sights on a low value while still being a little more realistic.

This is what I feel would be a more realistic target for minimum specs:
    2.8ghz P4-equivalent processor
    1GB RAM
    128MB DirectX 9 capable video card
    Windows XP/Vista/7
    Internet connection

Those are VERY common components five years ago, and so it's a very typical minimum specs for many games released a year or two ago.
  • EzekielEzekiel Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3006Members
    pretty ridiculous to see people moaning about min specs this early. my comp is years old and runs it fine, have a bit of patience and try to refrain from moaning at every little thing and enjoy the development. the performance will get better and better and better.
    <!--quoteo(post=1789858:date=Jul 30 2010, 08:22 PM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ Jul 30 2010, 08:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789858"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->try reading my post and actually understanding me

all im asking is, if they don't manage to pull off the spec reduction, can I get my money back... I'm not asking for it back right now, I'm asking a question about a hypothetical situation (that means it might or might not happen) when retail goes live... it's not like I'm asking something unreasonable...

so to repeat for people that have trouble reading:

- I think it will be okay with the specs
    - if not, will there be reimbursement?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Considering you can play the game NOW in alpha, shows that the game works with the MINIMAL specs stated. And again I ask do you know what MINIMAL means?

Also can you please tell me what the hell l4d has ANYTHING to do with this at all? Your comparing a FINISHED product to a freaking alpha, apples and oranges.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Minimum reqs have no meaning atm. The game is not yet stable enough to work on all machine configs. Heck you might have the fastest gaming rig in the world, that will not guarantee that it will even run or when it will at a decent fps.

I've seen some people complain about very bad FPS with a much faster rig then I have, while I can play this game on High @ 1440*960 (windowmode) at a decent fps. I just run @ low quality atm, because the game is less prone to crashing that way, even if I get decent fps on high settings.

So in short, even the best gaming rig won't guarantee excellent performance. The game might not even run, like Max said, they can only give out the minimum reqs when the game is at least at 1.0
    <!--quoteo(post=1790129:date=Jul 31 2010, 10:54 PM:name=TheGivingTree)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheGivingTree @ Jul 31 2010, 10:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790129"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Considering you can play the game NOW in alpha, shows that the game works with the MINIMAL specs stated. And again I ask do you know what MINIMAL means?

Also can you please tell me what the hell l4d has ANYTHING to do with this at all? Your comparing a FINISHED product to a freaking alpha, apples and oranges.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    it doesn't work with the minimal specs stated... :S

but why people keep focussing on the whole "alpha" thing I don't get, I know it will be much improved, I just wanna know if when the retail version comes out, it might be too late to get a refund, so I'm asking now, if it doesn't work all the way then (NOT NOW!), can I still get a refund?

and I agree with all of you that the fact it doesn't run at the moment is no indication it will not run later...
  • PrefixPrefix Éirinn go Brách Join Date: 2006-12-31 Member: 59353Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1789796:date=Jul 31 2010, 12:35 AM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ Jul 31 2010, 12:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789796"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just would like an anser to the question, if it doesn't run properly, will I get my money back?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unbelievable.
  • SwampRatSwampRat Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13369Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1790335:date=Aug 1 2010, 08:12 AM:name=Prefix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prefix @ Aug 1 2010, 08:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790335"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unbelievable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If the question is "if I meet the stated minimum specs and can't run the alpha, can I get my money back?" then you're right. Given that everything is yet to be optimised, maybe there shouldn't be stated minimum specs. If someone pre-ordered based on the minimum specs shown, but can't run the game when it's actually released they'd have every right to demand their cash back, as far as I can see.
  • WiedeWiede Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72933Members
    edited August 2010
    There are things that deserve thinking about them and there are things, that don't.

In the world of endless blizzard sequels or CoD 27 spending a small amount of money (or in other words: e.g. 89 Euro for the Special SC II Edition) in an innovative small software producer and nearly full access to the development of a game is one of the things, i would not think about it...

Plz don't complain about an alpha Oo When the beta comes out, there will be enough time to complain.

I fight with the min reqs too, but even if it doesn't run properly on my system, i would never think about refounding my money, because of all the money i spend in different software producers in the last 10 years, i had never such a good feeling as i have it spending in UWE.

Don't judge my english :) It's castrated by years of CS, NS and Co. <.<
    <!--quoteo(post=1790197:date=Jul 31 2010, 07:04 PM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ Jul 31 2010, 07:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790197"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it doesn't work with the minimal specs stated... :S

but why people keep focussing on the whole "alpha" thing I don't get, I know it will be much improved, I just wanna know if when the retail version comes out, it might be too late to get a refund, so I'm asking now, if it doesn't work all the way then (NOT NOW!), can I still get a refund?

and I agree with all of you that the fact it doesn't run at the moment is no indication it will not run later...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What do you mean by it doesn't work, you literally can't play the game at all? Now I don't mean slow, laggy or low fps, I mean the game literally won't even start because your computer can't handle it at all. Now if your game starts and you even get 1fps then the minimal requirements would be correct.

Now if you want the game to run smooth, then you would need to look at the required specs which haven't been posted yet so we all have yet to find out.
  • alphzalphz Join Date: 2009-11-09 Member: 69329Members
    I think the fact that I can run the game (not perfectly I will admit) on a budget line laptop with integrated graphics before much optimization speaks volumes of the range of specs this game will allow.

If you have any form of rig capable of playing games then I expect by release this game will please.

However, at this stage I would agree its difficult to define any kind of minimum requirements as the performance is all over the place. But I dont believe it is at all reasonable to begin asking about refunds at this point unless you bought the wrong game (even then Im tempted to say perhaps it should be a lesson to ya).