Is the Constellation Program still alive and available to donate?

CrapHandCrapHand Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58273Members
edited July 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">Will we get constellation icon if so, like NS1?</div>Just wondering... Is the Constellation still working and if so, will the constellation icon be available to NS2 too? I want to know,, because i want to have the icon on NS2...

I hope you guys put it on NS2 as well :D I don't have it but if i still can get it i will donate! 8)

Comments

• FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    If you want to join constellation for the icon you are not donating. You are buying.

Thus said: Yep, constellation is alive and accepting donations.
    But do not expect to get a shiny icon in NS2.
  • CrapHandCrapHand Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58273Members
    edited July 2010
    To be totally honest, you are correct. I just want to have the icon if its gonna be available to NS2 too but somehow i know i'll feel good... But hey, more money fo the devs and an extra icon for us, i think that would be hell of a deal!

I find it enough incentive *for me* to spend at least $20 more bucks it they tell me i'll have the icon, something very simple for devs to place on the game. I don't see a single negative point on this option,, and still will be contributing a bit more to devs and community :)
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    edited July 2010
    I bought NS2 Special Edition for my friend. Well, a fellow NS1 player from way back who used to run PFFF NS Server.
    Buying the title for someone is a bit stuck is better than any icon, I was more than happy to to surprise the fella, afterall he paid for the NS1 server back then.
  • msleepermsleeper Join Date: 2009-10-13 Member: 69034Members
    I was a Constellation supporter way back in the day, I'm a little upset that I can't transfer it to a different Steam account and forum user and everything. But oh well I suppose.
  • Invader_ScootInvader_Scoot Join Date: 2003-10-13 Member: 21669Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1789770:date=Jul 30 2010, 05:41 PM:name=msleeper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (msleeper @ Jul 30 2010, 05:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789770"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was a Constellation supporter way back in the day, I'm a little upset that I can't transfer it to a different Steam account and forum user and everything. But oh well I suppose.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know about transferring your Constellation status to a separate forum user but I know for sure you can change the Steam account associated with it. Go to Control Panel > Edit Profile Information and at the bottom of that page there is an entry for a Steam ID. Not very long ago I actually had to change my Steam ID and I have since seen my constellation icon on my new account.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Black armor is the constellation icon of ns2.
  • msleepermsleeper Join Date: 2009-10-13 Member: 69034Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789774:date=Jul 30 2010, 06:49 PM:name=Invader_Scoot)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Invader_Scoot @ Jul 30 2010, 06:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789774"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know about transferring your Constellation status to a separate forum user but I know for sure you can change the Steam account associated with it. Go to Control Panel > Edit Profile Information and at the bottom of that page there is an entry for a Steam ID. Not very long ago I actually had to change my Steam ID and I have since seen my constellation icon on my new account.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah that's the problem, it was a separate forum user / SteamID / everything.
  • spawnyspawny Join Date: 2004-02-12 Member: 26448Members, Constellation
    I thought the icon goes on your steam ID which is entered in to your profile on the NS website?

Previously I had an issue with dual accounts, emailed Flayra and he emailed me back asking which one I wanted to go with, I queried my consti icon and he said it's assigned to the SteamID in your profile so as long as that's right it'll show up (which it did).....unless I've got it horribly wrong?

P.S - Hello SgtBarlow, long time no see :)
  • EviL_ErNiEEviL_ErNiE Join Date: 2005-03-09 Member: 44471Members
    I think if you pre-ordered NS2 you should get the icon... but thats just me.
  • f dotf dot Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73088Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789776:date=Jul 30 2010, 11:55 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jul 30 2010, 11:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789776"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Black armor is the constellation icon of ns2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

^ /thread
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1789844:date=Jul 30 2010, 05:56 PM:name=EviL_ErNiE)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (EviL_ErNiE @ Jul 30 2010, 05:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789844"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think if you pre-ordered NS2 you should get the icon... but thats just me.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're a noob. But that's just me. :D

The 2 are nothing alike. Pre-ordering is still buying. Buying is not giving for nothing. Donating is giving for nothing. And at some point they give icons for those that donated.

And tbh, the icon lost a lot of meaning (for the players) a few years back when they started it up again. And when I say a few years, I mean more around 5ish.

For around a year or so the donating wasn't working or something, so the icon became a status symbol for, saying "Yes I've donated, but I've also been playing for a long time". After they fixed the donations, everyone started donating for the icon.

But like someone said, it's all more $ in their pocket to help with making the game and whatever else. So don't just do it for an icon.
  • mu.mu. Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63276Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1789847:date=Jul 30 2010, 09:02 PM:name=The_Ranger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The_Ranger @ Jul 30 2010, 09:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789847"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're a noob. But that's just me. :D

The 2 are nothing alike. Pre-ordering is still buying. Buying is not giving for nothing. Donating is giving for nothing. And at some point they give icons for those that donated.

And tbh, the icon lost a lot of meaning (for the players) a few years back when they started it up again. And when I say a few years, I mean more around 5ish.

For around a year or so the donating wasn't working or something, so the icon became a status symbol for, saying "Yes I've donated, but I've also been playing for a long time". After they fixed the donations, everyone started donating for the icon.

But like someone said, it's all more $ in their pocket to help with making the game and whatever else. So don't just do it for an icon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i donated when i heard there was going to be an ns2. i didn't know there was an icon. i never paid much attention to those. i could not even tell you how long i've been playing this game. i heard about it in college in 2001. i don't recall it ever losing meaning. nobody here invented donations, but it isn't likewise hypocritical that the team should provide a little incentive to get more donations. nobody ever said your donation would set you apart based on when you donate.

anyone upset over this obviously didn't donate for the sake of giving.

the black armor offer, on the other hand, is time limited. this is something that you can say would upset a bunch of players, if it were to be later given out for donations -- or really for anything. somewhat like the medals in TF2, this is acknowledgement that you paid <b>long before</b> you got anything for the money. this contract is very different.
  • ZimbuTheMonkeyZimbuTheMonkey Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72359Members
    Dear God...

Just buy one of your friends a copy of the game. Donate and give the gift of game at the same time.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1789850:date=Jul 30 2010, 06:11 PM:name=mu.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mu. @ Jul 30 2010, 06:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789850"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->anyone upset over this obviously didn't donate for the sake of giving.

the black armor offer, on the other hand, is time limited. this is something that you can say would upset a bunch of players, if it were to be later given out for donations -- or really for anything. somewhat like the medals in TF2, this is acknowledgement that you paid long before you got anything for the money. this contract is very different.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you think I'm upset over anything with donations, you're incorrect. Simply giving a history of. The people I played with back then felt that way about the icon, I remember a post about it. (Some) People wanting the new donations to give some other icon. Simply a date thing. Kinda like the black armor, in a way.

And the icon loosing meaning is so old now that I guess you could say the loss of meaning has been lost.

Anyway, good group of people making a good game based off the great game they made years ago. So donate for the sake of.
    Back then when i started playing NS1 i wanted to donate, but i had no CC, no paypal and no money since i spent a LOT of time unemployed, circunstances of life... I got HL1 back then because i had a friend that was getting rid of a lot of old games, including HL platinum pack and i took it instead. I offered a couple friends to give them a copy of NS2 as a gift and as an incentive to get into the game but they declined due to MW2 addiction. Now i have a job and *some* extra cash to spend, and i just wondered if this would be also available to NS2. I don't play that much right now since i only have a small acer aspire one that won't run games but as i said above i'm planning on building my hardcore pc to get my pc gaming back and running. NS2 inspired me to do so (and today i just found out that Battlefield 3 is coming so, another inspiration there).

But for some games i hae this like for those limited/special edition things or features, regardless of having non-existant extra functions or just aesthetic-oriented. Just for fun, i just like that on the few games that i play and if i can have them and give a little extra support for the devs that gives me the option, i just feel satisfied. There's no harm on that, i won't gain any extra ability or perk over others. Just an cute icon along with my name, just as the cool black armor. Don't see the harm at all, in fact its something good for both the people willing to get it and the developers getting some extra cash which is never a bad thing :D
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789852:date=Jul 31 2010, 02:16 AM:name=ZimbuTheMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZimbuTheMonkey @ Jul 31 2010, 02:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789852"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dear God...

Just buy one of your friends a copy of the game. Donate and give the gift of game at the same time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What he said. Buy Zen of Sudoku for a casual player friend or get a new copy of ns2 for a gamer. Same amount of money goes to them and you get something substantial in return.
    <!--quoteo(post=1789932:date=Jul 30 2010, 10:38 PM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Jul 30 2010, 10:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789932"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What he said. Buy Zen of Sudoku for a casual player friend or get a new copy of ns2 for a gamer. Same amount of money goes to them and you get something substantial in return.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I bought that when it came out, pretty sure I never downloaded it. But that is a good idea, I let a friend use my 2nd acct, might buy it for that acct.
    I hope a dev replies an answer for this question :) I'm curious :P
  • SturmwindSturmwind Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72589Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789261:date=Jul 30 2010, 10:14 AM:name=CrapHand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrapHand @ Jul 30 2010, 10:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789261"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To be totally honest, you are correct. I just want to have the icon if its gonna be available to NS2 too but somehow i know i'll feel good... But hey, more money fo the devs and an extra icon for us, i think that would be hell of a deal!

I find it enough incentive *for me* to spend at least $20 more bucks it they tell me i'll have the icon, something very simple for devs to place on the game. I don't see a single negative point on this option,, and still will be contributing a bit more to devs and community :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yea, why not. I would rather buy a juicy steak for the 20 USD. Or, if the final version of NS2 performs as advertised, buy it as a gift for a friend.

Anyway, I see no harm in selling "in-game-jewellery" to those who want to pay for it.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    The constellation program will not be making an appearance in NS2. It was a NS1 only incentive, sorry.
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    You can always send them money at paypal@unknownworlds.com if you really want to.
    <!--quoteo(post=1790407:date=Aug 1 2010, 08:24 PM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Aug 1 2010, 08:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790407"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The constellation program will not be making an appearance in NS2. It was a NS1 only incentive, sorry.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you very much, that answers my question clear of doubts :)