flashing screen problem.

phreadomphreadom Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72238Members
(I own ZOS through Steam)

I tried to play ZOS today and while the splash screen and main menu screen come up fine, any time I click on any of the options the screen either starts flashing on and off (black screen/black/black screen etc... like it's stuck in a loop trying to switch video modes), or it will just flicker slightly and not show the screen (such as options etc)

I'm on Windows 7 64bit.

Radeon HD 4870 X2 (2GB), just updated to the Catalyst 10.6 drivers.

I can't try windowed mode as far as I can tell because when I click on the options menu item, the screen just kind of flickers and the options don't show up. I can get out of the game from there by hitting escape, and mousing down to where the quit button is, and then mousing up until I see the cursor turn into a hand where the confirmation button should be (although it still is just showing the main menu) and clicking and it will exit the game.

I appreciate any advice. I've verified the integrity of the game cache, I've deleted it and redownloaded it... nothing seems to make a difference.

Comments

• tempest1972tempest1972 Join Date: 2010-07-29 Member: 73334Members
    Hi phreadom,

I had the exact same issue using 2 5870s in Crossfire mode and the ATI 10.6 drivers. If you disable crossfire mode, it will display the options screen correctly. It looks like Zen Of Sudoku doesn't like crossfire mode (or crossfire doesn't like Zen of Sudoku). ;-)
  • phreadomphreadom Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72238Members
    Thanks for the update. I'll give that a try. :)
  • tempest1972tempest1972 Join Date: 2010-07-29 Member: 73334Members
    Let me know if it works or not. If it doesn't, I'm more than happy to try and assist you further seeing as we have similar setups.
  • phreadomphreadom Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72238Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1789034:date=Jul 29 2010, 09:01 PM:name=tempest1972)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tempest1972 @ Jul 29 2010, 09:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789034"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let me know if it works or not. If it doesn't, I'm more than happy to try and assist you further seeing as we have similar setups.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=262&threadid=103227" target="_blank">http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm...threadid=103227</a>

Is that how I have to disable it? Seems a bit of a stretch to have to make regedits to play a game... but I'll try it if that's the only way... if only to confirm that it is possible to do. :)
  • BerniBerni Join Date: 2010-09-20 Member: 74107Members
    I am having this exact problem also, but I only have a single video card so I don't think it is a crossfire issue. Ive been googling for days but this is the only reference to this exact problem i can find. Is there a fix at all?
  • xq4567xq4567 Join Date: 2010-10-16 Member: 74474Members
    I also have the "flashing screen problem". I have had it for about three weeks. The game is not playable as it is. I have tried deleting the program and reinstalling it to no avail. I think it must be corrupt on the server.
  • RatfinkRatfink Join Date: 2010-12-19 Member: 75769Members
    This was happening on my laptop, and I found updating my ATI graphics drivers to the latest version solved the problem.