Movement in Alpha

TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
<div class="IPBDescription">What do you think? What to change?</div>Many of us have been lucky enough to get into the alpha and caught small glimpse of the game might be. I would like to hear your opionion movement of every lifeform and marine but do not speak of bugs regarding them like model lag in sprint.

I'll start with skulk, its weak it feels very clumsy with no way to accerelate expect leap that a plain straight jump forward with practically no air control at all. Jumping seems more of a burden as the skulk barely even lifts up and the distance you can strafe with it is non-existent. This style promotes camping and tracking more than dodging and feightin (bait).

Marine is clumsy aswell although not as bad a skulk abilitity jump is good but with no way to continue dodging from there after emptying clips. I could probably live with it not as it is now if the game speed is sped up a bit but still not so happy.

Gorge is going to get some fixes soonish bellyslide was actually implimented not only for ramps but floor and walls aswell, yep expect major changes soon.

Movement speed as I already mentioned seems a bit slow but so do non cele skulks so I really dont know, it might be a map design failure but you can also run from MS to hive in 10secs (spawncamp anyone?)

Comments

• WafflemaoWafflemao Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73105Members
    edited July 2010
    I hope Skulk's wallclimb is improved. It's pretty easy to unintentionally detach yourself from the ceiling or wall. The Lerk could probably be a little more "floaty" with its jumps. Flight feels a bit clumsy and hard to control.
  • SajSaj Join Date: 2003-01-30 Member: 12936Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Skulk, marine and gorge all seemed great, Lerk needs some changes tho.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    really like marine and skulk, didn't try the rest.
  • Mr_CharismaMr_Charisma Join Date: 2003-01-26 Member: 12748Members, NS1 Playtester
    edited July 2010
    All around 'floatyness'. bunny hopping arguments aside, NS1 had a great feel when you moved through the air.
  • pHkpHk Join Date: 2003-05-24 Member: 16664Members
    I would like a little more gravity to the Marine movement, it felt a little too light to me. It's hard to explain but it felt like the Marine didn't weigh enough and the stepping/running felt a bit flimsy.

Haven't played much alien yet, but the Skulk seemed OK, except that I agree with post #2, I found the Skulk to also be a little too lightweight.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I've got no opinion until I get to try it on somewhat manageable FPS. Right now I couldn't tell a difference between a truck and a mini if I was driving them.

I guess most of it felt pretty natural though, since I didn't pay any particular attention to the clunkyness, unlike many other features at this development phase.
  • abYsssabYsss Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72433Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1787618:date=Jul 28 2010, 01:33 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Jul 28 2010, 01:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787618"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll start with skulk, its weak it feels very clumsy with no way to accerelate expect leap that a plain straight jump forward with practically no air control at all. Jumping seems more of a burden as the skulk <b>barely even lifts up</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are you kidding?

I think you are doing it wrong, with leap you can gain quite an enormous amount of height.
    It depends where you are looking when you want to leap.
    If you look straight forward it's obvious that the jump won't go very high.
    Look a bit upwards when leaping

@ Topic:

Skulk movemets seems fine, it only gets problematic when you are running on a wall, as it's very easy to fall down.

No Problems with Marine movement either.

Belly Slide is damn hilarious.

Flying as a Lerk feels really weird, you gain height way too fast (thats what I believe the problem is).
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Skulk stickyness is a bit problematic I agree, kinda feels like the entire surface of the map is covered in about 2 inches of swimmable water and if you step outside it you fall off.

I'd rather be a bit more sticky personally, maybe undetachable without jumping or leaping.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    marine seems to run at the same speed when running backwords, I'm guessing that should be fixed..
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    Leaping in the alpha isn't hard to do, It reminds me of leaping in AvP2, having to aim further up to make up for the "curve".

I do agree with it being a bit "floaty". As gorge I did feel like I was playing ESIV Oblivion, with the insane moon-like jumping. Tho it doesn't really bother me, seeing it will probably be fixed rather easily in the future.

My only issue is really the lerk. It's like trying to fly a shopping trolley. And the upside-down perching never seems to work for me :C

Doesn't really matter at this stage tho. Bigger things to work on, Alpha and all that jazz!
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    I'm 99% sure the whole movement system of most classes will get a revamp somewhere around beta. What we have now seems like a quick and dirty approach to have anything at all. All the fine tuning comes later.
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1787631:date=Jul 28 2010, 02:59 PM:name=abYsss)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (abYsss @ Jul 28 2010, 02:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787631"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you are doing it wrong, with leap you can gain quite an enormous amount of height.
    It depends where you are looking when you want to leap.
    If you look straight forward it's obvious that the jump won't go very high.
    Look a bit upwards when leaping<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You missed my point, I was talking about jumping there is no continutiation after your leap because it just stops the momentum which I think is very bad. Leaping is pretty straightforward unless like you say leap in the air upwards but not well controllable and far from making movement unpredictable.
    /edit Forgot to add that you cant leap while jumping either but I'm sure this is unintetional

-> Topic
    Also please give reason why movement is good or bad.
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    I have no objections except for the Lerk whose flying skills feels abit dodgy :P
    As someone mentioned earlier is that you seem to gain too much altitude while flying.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Lerk forward speed needs to increase if you are holding the forward key and flapping at the same time.
  • {FRG}Stinkbugg{FRG}Stinkbugg Join Date: 2010-06-28 Member: 72189Members
    Gorges seem to be able to jump higher and farther then Skulks IMO
  • Dickbeard the PirateDickbeard the Pirate Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73082Awaiting Authorization
    I would like to see the skulk use a wallclimb system the same as the alien from AVP2 - hold shift to attach, release it to drop off

I like the fact that your point of view does not swivel around, would be really awesome if the orientation of the teeth you were looking out of did however change as you moved around
  • Jack_DanielsJack_Daniels Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72567Members
    The lerk flys like a rock.
  • LucidLucid Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10534Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1787815:date=Jul 28 2010, 12:20 PM:name=######beard the Pirate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (######beard the Pirate @ Jul 28 2010, 12:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787815"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would like to see the skulk use a wallclimb system the same as the alien from AVP2 - hold shift to attach, release it to drop off<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->That's the EXACT opposite of how it is in both NS1 and NS2. Technically if you wanted to, you could easily script that functionality into NS1 client-side. I'm sure once NS2 is polished you'll be able to do the same. I can't imagine why anyone would want to though.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Lerk movement has had pretty much no work put into it yet. That is next up on the list of high priority player movement tasks to work on.

--Cory
  • DaggialDaggial Join Date: 2005-03-04 Member: 43187Members
    the general movement system is F*****G AWESOME!
    i felt good with it after 2 seconds... specially i love that you can move while in midair, also if it is different from the glorious bhop :)