How to create a NS2 Dedicated Server

LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
edited July 2010 in Server Discussion
Thread is now maintained by the wiki for ease of editing and community contributions, I will continue the updates

<b><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/wiki/index.php/Dedicated_Server" target="_blank">Dedicated Server Setup</a></b>

Thanks everyone

Comments

• LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Bump, I see issues, of hosting
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Do NOT use 192.168.*, this is a private IP range and no one will be able to connect.

Go to www.whatismyip.com to easily grab your external address.
  • LuitjensLuitjens Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73034Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2010
    Plasma, you are wrong, using your internal IP address makes it work. When I used my external address the server does not load.

This is the same way on how source servers work as well, servers set theirs up as internal IP address as well, since it is not a lan server people can still connect via the external IP address with the port :27015
  • oldfartoldfart Join Date: 2010-04-23 Member: 71509Members
    I've tried this on our dedicated server box and it fails to run ..

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->"D:\Steam\ns2\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\Server.exe" -ip xxx.127.17.113 -port 27110 -name "NS2_AUSWAD_DS" -map ns_tram -limit 8 -lan false<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

(xxx - in case of spammers ;) ).

Error:
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Application fails to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is not being run on my gaming machine but on our clan's dedicated Win2K server box (via RDP).

Any suggestions?

cheers
    <u>OldFart</u>
    edited July 2010
    Do you have visual C++ dependencies?

<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=32bc1bee-a3f9-4c13-9c99-220b62a191ee&displaylang=en" target="_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en</a> ,

probably '05

Also, when I specify my -ip as my external my server will not run, I have to use my internal IP address, but if that box is directly connected to the modem then nvm, it should work
    Our server box is connected directly to a 100MB backbone.

It has 2 x adapters - which may cause problems.

As to MS Runtime requirements - only the developers can advise us?

Does the server expect Steam to be installed and running ?

We run HLDS and SRCDS + UCC etc - more info required ...

cheers
    <u>OldFart</u>
    edited July 2010
    Yes Steam needs to be running for NS2 server to be launched, for now. I am sure they will make a standalone for it later.
    <!--quoteo(post=1785527:date=Jul 27 2010, 03:50 PM:name=Luitjens)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Luitjens @ Jul 27 2010, 03:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785527"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes Steam needs to be running for NS2 server to be launched, for now. I am sure they will make a standalone for it later.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thanks for that BUT ...

Run Steam on our Server box :roll: - Steam sucks too bad just as a client ... we may just have to wait and see if a real dedicated server is released. (Steam client updates occur on a nearly daily basis).

cheers
    <u>OldFart</u>
    <!--quoteo(post=1785539:date=Jul 27 2010, 06:55 AM:name=oldfart)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oldfart @ Jul 27 2010, 06:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785539"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks for that BUT ...

Run Steam on our Server box :roll: - Steam sucks too bad just as a client ... we may just have to wait and see if a real dedicated server is released. (Steam client updates occur on a nearly daily basis).

cheers
    <u>OldFart</u><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yea, you can put steam to a classic mode probably to use less resources but still, it sucks especially for a dedicated box
  • ExceptorExceptor Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72558Members
    I need to put one steam with one key just for it
    or not
  • criticaIcriticaI Join Date: 2003-04-07 Member: 15269Banned, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    I hosted a dedicated at The Planet 69.93.200.122 and before I even got a chance to advertise it to anybody,<strike> its full!</strike> I upped the limit from 8 to 24. Right now about 10 people playing 9 just afking in RR

Its utilizing 30-80% CPU on a pentium 4 dual core 2.8 Ghz (a pretty old chip).
  • azzwacb9001azzwacb9001 Join Date: 2008-11-14 Member: 65445Members, Constellation
    I have a question..
    The server name in the possibility of using UTF-8 character set? Such as Chinese. or korean.

thanks.
  • gehngehn Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72914Members
    Has anyone gotten it to work NOT on 27015?

We have a L4D2 server running on that port.
    <!--quoteo(post=1785768:date=Jul 27 2010, 08:46 AM:name=gehn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gehn @ Jul 27 2010, 08:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785768"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has anyone gotten it to work NOT on 27015?

We have a L4D2 server running on that port.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pretty sure, any port would work, just use 27016
  • BryBry Join Date: 2003-01-23 Member: 12609Members
    For feedback, performance and server side bugs i have made this thread:

<a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=110418" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/in...howtopic=110418</a>

Atm it is bugged you can not run it on a different port
    Thank you bry, I will embed the link into the first post
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    edited July 2010
    So what I've understood is that I have to have steam logged in with my usual login on my server for this to work.
    Well how do I play on my server from my client computer if I have to be logged into my server as well?
    Do I solve it by doing two steam accounts, but how does that work if both needs access to NS2 game files? :o
    Because I don't really have two NS2 SE copies :P
    edited July 2010
    Its actually quite simple.

On your client upload the natural selection 2 folder (contains ns.exe and all the files) to your server.

This can be located anywhere on your server.

On the server
    download steam and when you open it click create New account.
    The account does not have to have any games installed.

Once it is created run steam so it is running in the systemtray. Again it does not matter about having no games installed or that you id not buy ns2 on this account.

In the Natural selection 2 folder there will be a redis folder with a physx installer and directx installer. Run these both.

Now follow the steps as outlined in the first post
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    Thanks for clearing it up Bry :)
  • oXYnaryoXYnary Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73138Members
    edited July 2010
    I guess the Hippo in the room would be. Linux dedicated coming soon for alpha? Do you need some volunteers? (Yes offering). I would attempt to run the current windoze version through wine for a dedicated but unfortunately steams windows client has stopped working with the latest version of wine and xfce on my server. Rather use a command prompt however.

Be great if you could get it added to the steam linux tool (from what I understand can be used to download the binaries of non source servers as well).
    Sample

./steam -command update -game NS2 full
  • RothgarRothgar Join Date: 2009-11-13 Member: 69372Members
    edited July 2010
    Er ok well I am stumped...

I have done the following on my server:

Downloaded Steam
    Logged into my Steam Account
    Downloaded NS2
    Exited Steam

Ran the PhysX and DirectX installers

Downloaded the Server.exe into the NS2 directory.

Opened Steam.exe and created a new blank Steam account.

After the PhysX and DirectX were installed and Steam was open the Server.exe would finally launch.

However I have not seen the server show up in the NS2 server list? I have tried also connecting via command-line with my client PC without success and the server does not have any firewall issues as I ran another SRCDS instance on 27015 without issues.

Is this very temperamental? Is it not listing me because I am logged into a Steam account that does not have NS2 on the server? Or what am I missing?

EDIT:
    I do notice after it says "Local Server is active" the window is like locked as in I can not type text in the console not sure if this is normal or not.
  • maritzmaritz Join Date: 2008-10-08 Member: 65152Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1786016:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:21 PM:name=oXYnary)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oXYnary @ Jul 27 2010, 12:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Linux dedicated coming soon for alpha?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd be more than willing to test linux server binaries and provide feedback. I only have a VPS available right now but might be enough.
    They have already stated there will not be a linux server until at least the beta version and maybe not even then
    edited July 2010
    Local server is active is correct

It sounds like you havigna network issue.

Are you behind a nat? if so you will need to connect from your private ip address I think. You will then need to make sure 27015 is successfulyl forwarded.

<!--quoteo(post=1786040:date=Jul 27 2010, 11:48 AM:name=Rothgar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rothgar @ Jul 27 2010, 11:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786040"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Er ok well I am stumped...

However I have not seen the server show up in the NS2 server list? I have tried also connecting via command-line with my client PC without success and the server does not have any firewall issues as I ran another SRCDS instance on 27015 without issues.

Is this very temperamental? Is it not listing me because I am logged into a Steam account that does not have NS2 on the server? Or what am I missing?

EDIT:
    I do notice after it says "Local Server is active" the window is like locked as in I can not type text in the console not sure if this is normal or not.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    For those of you who run into the same problem I just had, here is to save some frustration.

Thanks to Bry who recommended it needed port 27016

I had a SRCDS instance on 27016 and thought it only needed 27015.

This Server requires port 27015 and 27016. Otherwise it will load (spawn a console and say Local Server activated) but you can not connect and the server does not get listed in the server browser... No error about being able to assign or bind the port etc...
  • tixx815tixx815 Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73166Members
    edited July 2010
    I have forwarded the ports 27015 and 27016 and am getting a <1ms ping from my global ip adress, but if i start the server with "-p xx.xx.xx.xx" parameter it gets ignored:
    <blockquote>
    E:\Programme\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2>server -ip xxx.53.9.33 -i
    p-name "A 16Mbit |dedicated test server" -map ns2_tram -limit 16 -lan false
    No address has been specified for the server. Using default.
    Build 149
    Starting server
    </blockquote>
    and if i specify my global address in the server.xml file with
    <blockquote><address>xxx.53.9.33</address></blockquote>
    i get:
    <blockquote>
    E:\Programme\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2>server -ip 78.53.9.33 -i
    Build 149
    Error starting server

E:\Programme\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2>
    </blockquote>

however, starting it with local ip works, and specifying no ip results in finding the game on my games-list in game, but i'm not shure wether it can be joined from the outside [and i remember seeing my own games in that list even before the forwarding when trying to join a game during another game running]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, ppl are connection with no ip adress specified :) so the topic seems solved
    but its strange that my global ip is ignored and results in "error starting server"

good luck ppl :D
  • JerkstoreJerkstore Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67880Members
    edited July 2010
    Many people seem to get stuck in a connect/disconnect loop when my server is full. My server.exe console will look like this after a while:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Client connected (IP.1.1.1).
    Client connected (IP.1.1.2).
    Client connected (IP.1.1.3).
    Client connected (IP.1.1.4).
    Client connected (IP.1.1.5).
    Client disconnected (IP.1.1.1) Server full
    Client disconnected (IP.1.1.2) Server full
    Client disconnected (IP.1.1.3) Server full
    Client disconnected (IP.1.1.4) Server full
    Client disconnected (IP.1.1.5) Server full
    *REPEATED EVERY HALF-SECOND*<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's so frequent and consistent that I know people aren't just spamming to join my server. It seems like some kind of bug that won't stop trying to connect. I put the max number of players in my server name to try and prevent people from joining at all, but it still happens.

There are some more problems of course, but I can chalk them all up to being an alpha server for an alpha game. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this.
    <!--quoteo(post=1786218:date=Jul 28 2010, 12:47 AM:name=tixx815)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tixx815 @ Jul 28 2010, 12:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786218"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have forwarded the ports 27015 and 27016 and am getting a <1ms ping from my global ip adress, but if i start the server with "-p xx.xx.xx.xx" parameter it gets ignored:
    <blockquote>
    E:\Programme\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2>server -ip xxx.53.9.33 -i
    No address has been specified for the server. Using default.
    Build 149
    Starting server
    </blockquote>
    and if i specify my global address in the server.xml file with
    <blockquote><address>xxx.53.9.33</address></blockquote>
    i get:
    <blockquote>
    E:\Programme\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2>server -ip 78.53.9.33 -i
    Build 149
    Error starting server

E:\Programme\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2>
    </blockquote>

however, starting it with local ip works, and specifying no ip results in finding the game on my games-list in game, but i'm not shure wether it can be joined from the outside [and i remember seeing my own games in that list even before the forwarding when trying to join a game during another game running]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, ppl are connection with no ip adress specified :) so the topic seems solved
    but its strange that my global ip is ignored and results in "error starting server"

good luck ppl :D<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's -name there is a typo in the first post, not -ip-name

You need to also specify the port even though port 27015 is the only one I believe at this point you can use.

So -ip X.X.X.X -port 27015 -lan 0 -limit X -name "whatever"

Make sure you have 27015 and 27016 open and forwarded I guess and should be good until the server crashes :)
  • wdfstryfewdfstryfe Join Date: 2009-05-28 Member: 67532Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1786016:date=Jul 27 2010, 07:21 AM:name=oXYnary)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (oXYnary @ Jul 27 2010, 07:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786016"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess the Hippo in the room would be. Linux dedicated coming soon for alpha? Do you need some volunteers? (Yes offering). I would attempt to run the current windoze version through wine for a dedicated but unfortunately steams windows client has stopped working with the latest version of wine and xfce on my server. Rather use a command prompt however.

Be great if you could get it added to the steam linux tool (from what I understand can be used to download the binaries of non source servers as well).
    Sample

./steam -command update -game NS2 full<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I second this, that's my only gripe / complaint. It's kinda of retarded to have to install the full blown steam client just to run a server.
    <!--quoteo(post=1786362:date=Jul 28 2010, 02:27 AM:name=wdfstryfe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wdfstryfe @ Jul 28 2010, 02:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786362"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I second this, that's my only gripe / complaint. It's kinda of retarded to have to install the full blown steam client just to run a server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well at the same time you could make the comment it's stupid you need to Install PhysX and DirectX in order to run the server.

I take it they just whipped up a Server.exe to use all the client based files without having to run the full GUI game.

I assume at a later date they will hopefully separate out a "Dedicated" server not this hack work-around that is currently provided.