NS1 Players still out there?

BeefChucklesBeefChuckles Join Date: 2010-07-11 Member: 72316Members
I've been playing ns1 for some years now and am excited about ns2. As I get NS1 loaded up on my laptop I am wondering how many old-school or passionate players are still out there, or what can I expect with servers and players counts? Thanks everyone.

Comments

• GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    I think theres about 2-10k still playing ns1.
    As for NS2, 100k at launch, 100-250k more in the first week, and over time... Hopefully missions :)
  • SolidNLSolidNL Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33563Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1778049:date=Jul 12 2010, 10:34 PM:name=GISP)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GISP @ Jul 12 2010, 10:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778049"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think theres about 2-10k still playing ns1.
    As for NS2, 100k at launch, 100-250k more in the first week, and over time... Hopefully missions :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I hope your right, there should be enough people since alot of the people that played ns1 since the start will be coming back. However ns has always been quite complex compared to other games. Now this is fine with me and with alot of other people but the majority of gamers basicly wants everything handed on a silver plate. This is why the most simple games out there have the biggest playerbase.

But from another point of view, even if ns does not become as populair it will be more like belonging to a exclusive club and the devs will not have to deal with all the people that can throw ###### in your face whenever they think the game is unbalanced because they cant play it the way they want to. With the alpha date set i have a big circle around 26 on my calender. I played ns for years but even I have to admit the graphics were becoming quite outdated, and with the announcement of ns2 i have patiently waited for it and that patient is finally gonna pay off.

Greetz Solid
  • DumbDumb Join Date: 2004-09-28 Member: 31965Members
    Well I am actually a very old school player. I popped in a few times over the years since the original beta release of NS and I am glad to see it still in action.

I am however disappointed with the length of time it took for a release on NS2 because I leave in 8 days for the navy but hey, it'll be here when I get back, right? :p I'll catch you all in the new age...

There will be blood.
    oh yes... there will be blood :)
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hey hey, of course a lot of us are around. We lurk in the darkness and act as if we aren't here, but we are. =) Most of us are still on IRC and/or still talk to eachother on a regular basis those of us who were really close anyway. =) A lot of us are also returning for NS2.
  • Shoot_meShoot_me Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8696Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1777864:date=Jul 11 2010, 07:01 PM:name=BeefChuckles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BeefChuckles @ Jul 11 2010, 07:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777864"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've been playing ns1 for some years now and am excited about ns2. As I get NS1 loaded up on my laptop I am wondering how many old-school or passionate players are still out there, or what can I expect with servers and players counts? Thanks everyone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've still been able to find NS1 servers out there, so far there's still a few low ping servers I can connect to (when I'm traveling) that have people on them.
  • VighiVighi Join Date: 2004-06-04 Member: 29105Members
    Anyone know if there are anyone playing on Scandinavian servers? Thinking about installing it again while I wait for NS2 :)
  • Ah_forget_itAh_forget_it Join Date: 2002-12-22 Member: 11331Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    I am rather excited it has to be said, downloaded NS1 again for old times sakes.
  • BenaiahBenaiah Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22517Members
    I'm back. I saw the 10 day count down to NS2 alpha. Bought the SE, and hopped on the Forums. The thing that I loved about NS was the community. It's just so friendly. Sure there are the random combat only *****'s that just spam abuse but the the fact that there were so many competative clans out there made the game epic.

Cant wait to see who comes back from the old days. :)
  • sturmehsturmeh Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72465Members
    There's a total of 1 Australian server that still exists, about 6 people at good times. :(

What will NS2 be like? Any aussies here?
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited July 2010
    I still play it ;)

Edit:
    Well I say still but I have only been playing for a while.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    What up NS1 represent

only us server constantly full is sadly 30 players of cluelessness
  • NukeSpoonNukeSpoon Join Date: 2007-01-12 Member: 59567Members
    Despite having bought a new laptop lately, and having played Portal and TF2 etc. for the first time and enjoying the novelty...

I find myself missing Natural Selection!

Got the installer downloading as we speak.
  • ByekaByeka Name changed from Freak83 Toronto Join Date: 2003-03-13 Member: 14484Members, Constellation
    <BAD> clan servers are pretty fun, and well... the only really low ping + has players server out there that I can find. Been playing there for a couple of weeks before Alpha was announced. Enjoying it too at that.
  • torquetorque Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20035Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation
    I actually played my first game of NS in a long time last week, with an old clanmate of mine - I believe this was also on the <BAD> server. I'm as terrible as ever but it was still a lot of fun - might try to bring some new blood into the game to warm them up for NS2.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Bring back G4BS, EvolveNS, and Jigglypuff!!!!
  • duvelduvel Join Date: 2004-02-09 Member: 26318Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    i've been idle for a year now, but with ns2 in sight, i revealed myself from darkness, installed my ns and patched it like hell !
  • dshielddshield Join Date: 2010-04-30 Member: 71577Members, Constellation
    Anyone still remember babblers? Anyone remember eagerly waiting to play on Halloween back in '02?

Sure the graphics in NS1 are not comparable to today's standards...but seriously it holds up quite well for a mod that came out 8 years ago.

I have yet to find anything game that provides for such a wide variety in gameplay and have high hopes/expectations that NS2 will be more of the same, and that is a very good thing.

The learning curve was pretty steep, and that probably encouraged more players to be friendly to the new folks, to not discourage them as they inevitably got their asses kicked when they discovered that their lmg couldn't down a fade.

I'll see ya'll in the alpha!
  • nirvanaXOnirvanaXO Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70747Members
    I play with bots, I don't know, but my server refresh doesn't work good. But yea! there are definitely people out there playing their butts off.
  • nirvanaXOnirvanaXO Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70747Members
    The level of competitiveness can inflict on others that feel they have no chance in surviving.
  • laggerlagger Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1805Members
    I'm back waiting on NS2 ^_^, hope its as fun as ns1 was before many of the changes.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    I'm down to seed evolve, or the jigglyroom!
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1784117:date=Jul 26 2010, 02:48 PM:name=That_Annoying_Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (That_Annoying_Kid @ Jul 26 2010, 02:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1784117"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm down to seed evolve, or the jigglyroom!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think all the good players have been banned from Jiggy.

And Goobag just plays HoN all day now.
  • bl1tzbl1tz Join Date: 2007-12-23 Member: 63242Members
    Hi guys.

I play HoN a lot myself.
  • V_MANV_MAN V-MAN Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6217Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    I still play from time to time but I stopped playing NS1 regularly (like every day after work :P) when Battlefield 2 came out in 2005. I have noticed that when I go back to NS1 the skill lvl of the people still playing is insane and the pace at which the rounds are played at is intense to say the least. I don't remember it being like that lol, maybe it's just me being used to other FPS games being played at a slower pace.
  • Axel_StoneAxel_Stone Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18993Members, Constellation
    NS1 sucks on 64bit, cant get it to feel/behave/look right. So alas, no NS1 for me anymore... :(
  • UnknownLegacyUnknownLegacy Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67664Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1786789:date=Jul 27 2010, 05:13 PM:name=Axel_Stone)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Axel_Stone @ Jul 27 2010, 05:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 sucks on 64bit, cant get it to feel/behave/look right. So alas, no NS1 for me anymore... :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just played NS1 last night after lagging horribly in NS2 Alpha. Worked fine for me (Win7 Pro 64-bit), except it was extremely dark. Had to do some command so I could get "Display does not support downloadable gam" to go away.

I used to be pretty good (at aliens). Was playing on the <BAD> servers last night and I was getting my butt handed to me. I haven't seriously played an FPS in at least 5 years, so incredibly rusty >_< I set all of my settings to what I remembered them being and everything felt kinda weird. Was missing a lot of easy hits and probably got only about 4 kills the hour I played =/
  • petit_fromagepetit_fromage Join Date: 2004-11-11 Member: 32752Members
    I started playing again on the BAD classic server. I think the last time I played seriously was 3-4 years ago. Still quite fun getting back into it.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I started playing NS the 1st week it was out.

Sad to see the state of the servers. Only 1-2 good servers. Only 1-5 (that's a high guess as is) servers that are playing NS maps w/o bots. Maybe 1-10 servers of fun maps / co w/o bots. The rest are servers that are just bot filled. Keep in mind these are best guesses with my filter settings.

Seems to be more real people playing the alpha then NS atm. Once they get some more updates rolling it should be good fun.
  • SyrinSyrin Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22654Members
    sigh, i miss the good old days. I cant even find a populated server with decent latency at the moment :/ Damn living in australia..
  • JimBowenJimBowen Join Date: 2003-05-30 Member: 16873Members, Constellation
    I played NS religiously back in the day, and I pop back here now and then to see how things are coming along. As soon as NS2 is out im planning to return, and im pretty sure there will be many others like myself. It was simply a fantastic game that has remained in my memory to this day.